Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish White Privilege......Yeah

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,732 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

in every country in the world, citizens and taxpayers in their individual countries are prioritised, privileged etc… that’s just how it should be…🤷‍♂️

hardly a point in having an Irish passport, citizenship etc if that just means you are deprioritised.

in Eritrea I’m entitled to SFA… so why should an Eritrean be entitled to everything an Irish person is and more, here ? Why should we be indoctrinating our kids to believe they are…?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Or are they saying that reducing something complex to things like ethnicity, skin colour or gender is racist/sexist?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,054 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what other examples would have easily fit in the glossary? i somehow doubt that what's in the glossary as a quick example should be taken as comprehensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,530 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I think the problem is more with the inherent prejudice in the examples of 'privilege' which are given.

It is paradoxical that a document which proposes means to address prejudice and discrimination appears to be guilty of the same prejudice.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

The NGO's are an absolute cancerous boil on the Irish State and society. Somehow they've got themselves into the priviledged position (ironic indeed) of dictating policy and leeching €6bn in annual funding from the taxpayer.

Just imagine the scale of the accounting missmanagmement and corruption going on when €6bn is handed over annually to a bunch of amateurs. There's probably 100+ RTE style /Ryan Tubridy scandals going on annually in these quangos.

Their budgets need to be cut by two thirds at a minimum and they should be forced to merge (especially the "housing" quangos)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,054 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

NGOs? the NCCA is part of the dept of Education.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

The NGO's are influencing policy. NCCA don't make this up in a vacuum.

What does self flagellation achieve? Bitterness and resentment I'd wager. It's just needless division and polarisation, and it's imported from America, which DOES have a shocking history when it comes to race relations, but why drag us in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭crusd

The referenced document did not say anything about people not recognising their privilege in other scenarios, just to consider what advantages they might have benefited from relative to others. You will in fact often hear first generation African Americans, usually children of "professionals", assert their privilege relative to descendants of slaves.

For example, as Irish people we have the privilege of being born in a stable democracy with near full employment and no internal or external threats to our security. Relative to Ukrainians form Kharkiv we definitely have privilege and when considering how we view people from that background. It not an Irish persons fault that they have benefited from a level of privilege, but it is real in relative terms. It is still in a persons prerogative to hold a view that we should not have taken in Ukranians, but should be from a position of considering their experience also.

There could be countless other examples where a group did not have the same privileges as another - eg. experience of the Irish in 1950's London where we definitely did not have privilege and suffered at the hands of those that did, Catholics in NI up to the 90's relative to Protestants, Irish in late 19th century New York relative to WASPS, descendants of Irish indentured labour in the Caribbean relative to blacks etc. etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,492 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Because we love copying everything Americans do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,297 ✭✭✭suvigirl

People who live in a country should not be treated as differing in importance to anyone else, we don't have a tiered system of people, there should be no second class citizens, with less rights than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭minimary

I honestly think in a few years someone in the US will decide that declaring some groups have inherent privilege is racist and it will become verbotten to openly state "I'm white and therefore privileged" which you hear some people do. Its inherently nonsense too, most privilege comes from wealth, a middle class white person in America is not more privileged than someone like Oprah.

What I think is interesting that hasn't come over from the US/Australia is land acknowledgements and such. If its important to acknowlege that indigenous people are the rightful custodians of lands in certain countries where land was forcefully taken, why isn't it important in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Travel to certain parts of Dublin and ask about white male privilege..."but, but, but you're a bit whiter!"

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭minimary

I would love to see some investigative journalism into what exactly the NGO's do but the media in Ireland is far too cozy with the NGO's for that to ever happen.

Personally I think there should be a prohibition for any proportion of Government funding to go towards lobbying. If an NGO accepts Government funds, there should be a prohibition on them to lobby or to fund lobbying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭growleaves

Certain countries is right.

Pygmies and other hunter-gatherer tribes in Africa were being massacred and having their land stolen by Bantu-speaking foreign invaders as late as the 17th century (after the settlement of North America had begun).

For giggles:

Tell a person in what is now Kenya or Uganda that they aren't native and that they ought give back the land their ancestors stole. I'm sure they'll be all ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭growleaves

Yes the Government pays so-called non-Government organisations to lobby the Government.

Nothing circular or suspect about that arrangement.

Why, there's a universe of deniability right there in the prefix "non-".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

So who are these second class citizens who have less rights than someone like me?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭stellamere

What is the point in all that though? What are you suggesting we should do now that "privilege " has been established. Are you not just pushing Christianity? Although, the ones pushing "privilege" and equity don't really come across as the compassionate types. More vindictive and preachy to me.

Within most societies there is a group that has a historical advantage. Be it due to ethnic, economic, social, religious, military and a host of other reasons.

All that is asked is that in seeking to have a more equitable society, those who had advantages acknowledge the fact. That is all. To acknowledge that there maybe systemic advantages that they benefitted from. And any individual has likely both benefitted from some advantage and also suffered disadvantages elsewhere. The white unskilled worker from rural Kentucky was a beneficiary of the segregationist policies in that state, but also suffered from the lack of investment in training and education that left him in low paid dead end jobs when the major industries left, and without adequate healthcare which left him with an almost 3rd world life expectancy

That'd be the Protestants here so

Seriously, your post sounds lovely but when you actually read it there's nothing in it bar empty cliches

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,530 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,153 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Yeah ..and people who don't have a lovely red head , of hair or otherwise , they can too ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,153 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Why indeed ?

We are not nor will we be .

This is not what is or will be discussed but I'd take a punt that most Irish secondary school kids would see that they are lucky to be born in Ireland rather than Eritrea if it comes up .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,732 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yet that happens all over the world… 🤷‍♂️. Nobody bats an eyelid…. From Africa, Asia, South America and beyond 🤪

"Equality..."

I'm gay and I don't want equality.

Equal under the law, yes, but not treated equally in society. That's because you need to earn respect from others. I am no more special than anyone else, and society is damn complex. Sometimes we like people, sometimes we don't. That's the nature of the transaction. I certainly don't want to force people to like me because of my sexuality. I would rather bad people hate me. I could easily play the victimhood "privilege" game if I wanted to. Trust me, it would be simple. I could do it in five seconds. But I choose not to because a) I'm not a victim and b) I don't want to foist my interests and standards on everyone else. It's the same with the whole "white privilege" nonsense; it's highly manipulative and disingenuous.

People are too busy with their own lives, work, family, and everything else, to even bother to consider the special feelings of a minority in society that want to feel aggrieved about everything; who are highly manipulative and often attention-seeking, narcissistic individuals.

I want honest and decent people in my life, not these boring, perpetually offended and always negative and hateful minority of people who want to transform society as an attempt to gloss over their own inability to integrate into society themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 AndrzejL

Boy am I glad I have no children…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

I grew up in the 80s when a lot of people including my family didn't have a pot to piss in.

I went months with shoes with split soles. Didn't say anything to my parents said as I didn't want to put any financial pressure on them to get me a new pair. Where's my privilege?

People growing up today in Ireland of whatever ethnicity are far more privileged than the vast majority of people in this country in the past have been.

Racism and discrimination needs to be challenged and tackled when it rears it's ugly head but anyone trying to label me as privileged can kindly fk right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

You lead with that line about protestants and then follow up by criticising him for using empty cliches.

🎵 Isn't it ironic.......😂

Well I was replying to the idea that "Within most societies there is a group that has a historical advantage. Be it due to ethnic, economic, social, religious, military and a host of other reasons."

In Ireland, the reality is that the Protestant minority in Ireland in the 17th to the 19th centuries had that advantage, through stuff like the Penal Laws, language barriers, the barring of Catholics from trade guilds, professional occupations and Parliament. Fairly major stuff really. So fecked if I (not a Protestant) am going to be lectured about my historic privilege in that regard.

• Advertisement

I think you missed the point, spectacularly. The Anglo-Irish did benefit from privilege, do the disadvantage of catholic Irish. No one is saying that is not true. Acknowledging your own current advantages is not to deny historic disadvantages. Two things can both be true, which seems to be a difficult things for a lot to accept

Advertisement