Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two die in the Ironman at Youghal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

There does potentially seem to be ambiguity over if the race was not sanctioned due to the weather conditions, or due to the shortened distance of the swim.TI have worded their statement in such a way that they could argue that since the adverse conditions lead to the shortening of the swim that's then what lead to the sanction.

Basically its still up in the air if TI said to Iron-man "we can't sanction this event because we think the weather conditions in the water are too dangerous."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,001 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I’ve heard of people who didn’t go when they saw the storm forecast for Friday. And also accounts that it could have been a whole lot worse outcome but that some participants were helping others who were struggling due to the lack of adequate help. That some of the kayakers were finding it hard to cope, capsizing etc. I guess we’ll find out in due course how many dnf the swim but clearly the organisers lost control of the safety element.

It's quite a serious topic, you should do your homework.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Genghis

From what I know, TI technical officials would not be present, or assess anything about the event, UNLESS Ironman was planning to operate under their sanction.

I would also say that TI would likely have been willing to sanction a "duathlon" ( no swim) as opposed to cancelling the entire event, something that is not uncommon (Olympic test event in Paris had swim leg cancelled this weekend).

So if TI failed to approve appropriate sanction for a full race, the race proceeded outside of its own event and safety plan.

This may mean the event was 'illegal' at least in the sense it's event licence / road closures etc had been granted by Cork CC subject to it being sanctioned by TI.

It could also have been uninsured, albeit unlikely as Ironman traditionally operated outside of the official sport / NGBs, I would say their insurance would not require NGB sanction.

What is most certainly the case is that whoever decided not to accept TIs opinion decided to operate outside it's safety plan. That's a huge call.

Some people commented on why TI did not inform competitors of their decision. Maybe they should have tried but bear in mind the event licence from TI is normally given awarded an hour or so before start, even less where something like variable conditions are at play. Competitors are setting up, in wetsuits, etc, they are not looking at their phones. So TI would not really be able to communicate with members, it would be only be the race itself via their PA / marshal teams who could communicate the event not going ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Apparently, it is the most dangerous part of Ironman competitions. Most deaths occur at that stage. Another thing that surprised me - age is not as big a risk factor as I thought.

Sounds like you should do your homework instead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

No. It sounds like a horrendous experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Field east

It is a very sad occasion for the families involved -and on a day when everybody went out to enjoy themselves. ‘One would wonder how the accident actually happened unless it was a major heart attack in both occasions and which there was no coming back from. One need only look at that poor Tipperary hurler who died on the pitch recently. Other Gaelic players - in the prime of their youth - have died in similar circumstances down the years.

Three things struck me about the swimming element and there has been no mention of them Ie

(1) I understand that when ANY swimmer thinks that there are in a difficulty on the water and need help that he/she puts one arm up - pointing to the sky. I would assume then that the rescue service would immediately respond.

(2) I would 100% assume that all the participants are SEASONED swimmers and can all float / thread the water, etc, et , to keep afloat until help comes along

(3) I would also assume that a good % of the other swimmers would stop to help anyone in difficulty and forego the race

As they say , we are all experts in hindsight. I sincerely hope that I am not upsetting anyone by bringing up the above but they just ‘crossed my mind

• Registered Users Posts: 4,915 ✭✭✭Xander10

Re (1) , it has been stated that there were too many people in the choppy water at the one time and kayaks etc observing were struggling to stay upright.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Rmgblue

Have you read any of the thread at all?

1 - it’s been pointed out numerous times that the swells rendered it impossible to even spot someone on their back with one arm up. I suspect there was 100’s with arms up at any point

2 - having completed two half distances myself I can tell you like the majority of people who are new to triathlon come with running and cycling experience more often than not. I myself learned to swim from YouTube. Seasoned swimmers exist of course but this I have no doubt that many down in cork were first timers at 70.3 or full distances.

3 - again, been discussed that it’s like a washing machine in the water. Been swam over, hit and pulled back often. It’s awful sometimes. Especially when you get caught up with faster swimmers. Of course people stop to help you. I spoke to people who were in the water in cork and some were pulled under trying to help others. Sometimes no one stops too.

Ironman are an utter disgrace letting this go ahead. And hard to support TI and their statement when they made no effort to relay the info to people on the morning. Iv imagined standing waiting to get into that water and I know I’d be only dieing for someone to pull the plug so I wouldn’t have to. This storm didn’t arrive unannounced that morning. There was plenty of red flags waving for TI and IM to make a call good and early and they didn’t

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Been involved with watersports all my life and have driven safety boats for countless events, there is no way the kayaks and ribs in the water were going to be able to safely monitor 2000 swimmers in a sea in that state, they are lucky it was only 2 deaths imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭MacDanger

RIP to the two contestants.

It seems a given that there was an increased risk on Sunday for this event, it just remain to be seen during the investigation whether or not the mitigations taken by the organisers were sufficient or not. Taking the TI statement at face value. they would appear to have been inadquate and maybe even reckless

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

The fact that safety teams couldn't operate safely basically means the organisers put the safety of participants to the side. I'd say Ironman Ireland(maybe even TI) are wide open for civil cases over the corners that look to have been cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TokTik

And yet everyone bar one man made it out of the water unscathed.

No 2 people died and many others retired during the swim and were picked up by the kayaks and ribs, even if nobody had died it could still have been too unsafe and risky to run in those conditions. If a car is speeding down the road and crashes with no injuries were they being safe simply because nobody was hurt?

And that's something we should be grateful for cause the conditions described by participants in the Irish Times article was far from standard. In addition to this, safety crews were struggling in the water. Assuming the Triathlon Ireland statement is accurate, this just lends further credence to irresponsible decisions getting made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TokTik

From reports, one was a heart attack once he was exiting the sea. The ones who retired, were helped etc, quite obviously made it out. There is no S&R ongoing.

Don’t see the issue with it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

'no-one died' in normal circumstances is never a good way of saying 'it was therefore safe'

and in this instance, you can't even say 'no-one died'.

Given the fact that participants rely on Triathlon Ireland insurance, the fact it wasn't sanctioned by them means the event likely wasn't even insured... So ya, many levels of irresponsibility on the organisers part. The fact more didn't die is more a testament to safety workers and luck.

On top of that, I can't see it taking place again in Youghal so the organisers have fecked up royally. It's something the community loves having.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Most likely one of the considerations for TI releasing their statement last night was to distance themselves from the event and try to protect their current insurance arrangements. Any insurer looking at what happened and hearing/ reading accounts from participants would be pretty concerned that they were unnecessarily exposed to claims. Which could in turn threaten the viability of future triathlons.

TI were directing athletes as they were going out so continued to participate in some way which is a bit odd. Continuing to add to that false sense of security.

that could be a difficult situation to be placed in - if you think something is dangerous, do you pull your staff, and possibly make the situation worse? or leave them there and possibly be accused of endorsing the situation?

Because you quite obviously dont know what you are talking about, if you had ever been out on the sea in those conditions you would understand, also you cant say the heart attack wasnt caused by the strain due to the conditions, we know 2 people died and here you are minimising a heart attack.....

Imo they are just extremely lucky there wasnt an S&R with 2000 people in the water in those conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭thehairygrape

Hi Gusser09. Your comment is a very common reaction and on the face of it understandable. However, participants in endurance events, and Ironman type challenges in particular, are often in the upper age bracket. Endurance events need a very good aerobic base, something that’s built up over time. An athlete who trains consistently will have this good base, and while they might get slower, they’re well able to finish a full Ironman. Usually, there’s a 17 hr time limit and a well trained older competitor will easily finish in that time. Younger, faster athletes might not even get to the finish line. I myself am in my sixties and had entered the 70.3 in Youghal having done full distance events in my fifties and sixties and would have no problem entering another full Ironman type event. Rest assured I wouldn’t even come in the top twenty in my age category. (Incidentally, I pulled out of Youghal because of torn ligaments in my ankle having tripped over a pot while gardening! Absolutely true story).

So, with good training, nutrition etc, a fit person in their fifties sixties or seventies would almost be better suited than a younger person just ‘giving it a go’.

I’ll refrain from commenting on the case in discussion here as the process needs to take place and out of respect to the two people who died and their families.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭Macy0161

We still don't actually know that the conditions were the cause of either death. Out of the water running to T1 is a pretty high heart rate time at the best of times. Mayhem at a turning point is nothing unusual either, in sea, river or lake triathlon. Biggest thing for me from that report is the moving of the buoy/ turning point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I was sent another video from a spectator last night and it was pretty distressing.

I won't share the link but basically a swimmer not 50 meters from shore clearly at risk of drowning and the spectators screaming at water safety to get their attention.

I would've been one to say the conditions didn't look that bad and that it wasn't a day for weaker swimmers. Seeing that video though I think IM were very lucky (a terrible word I know) the number of fatalities were only 2.

I think there'll be a line drawn in the sand on this one and I can only hope this doesn't snowball into another insurance crisis for sport. I have seen far too many mtb/road races cancelled due to insurance issues in the past.

• Advertisement

The headline in today's Irish Times clears up any doubts you had "Event not sanctioned to go ahead after water safety assessment by governing body".

The rest of the headline makes it quite clear who called the shots "Organisers say water conditions were safe."

Advertisement