Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

Starting eleven? I wouid say the quality is probably lesser, but after two games it's hard to make a realistic call on how significant the difference is. These are the main starting eleven changes since this time two years ago,not in order of position.

Gone are :

Fabinho, Henderson, Bobby, Mané

In are :

Endo, Sobo, McCallister, Diaz

Obviously some of these were signed pre this summer, but we're talking starting elevens.

It's impossible to judge new players on 1/2 games, but there no reason to believe Sobo can't be as good as or maybe even better than Henderson.

Bobby was unique. I think his goals and assists will be covered by McCallister/Jota. I'm not convinced by Nunez yet, but he'll chip in with a dozen goals too probably.

Peak Mané was superb. I like Diaz. An injury free season and he couid go close to matching Mané maybe.

That leaves Fabinho. Obviously this is the area we should be done better covering before this summer. No doubt about it. Fabhino at his peak was superb, one of the best around.

As for the squad. Completely agree. Last summer was the time for reinforcing the midfield especially, and also the back line.

The Henderson and Fabinho transfers made a mess of midfield plans, no doubt about it.

I'll say thís this though. I don't expected this session to be a title challenging season, and I'm ok with that provided we make top 4 and reinforce priperly over the next few windows, with a view and a squad capable of challenging for a title next season.

There just has to be improvement this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Mane pre Christmas in the 2022 season was poor. He only hit a run of form when he was moved to CF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

Our attempts to sign player have been an embarrassment. I don't think we are entitled to sign anyone but when we are in this position we have to push the boat out. As pointed out, we had an elite DM. If Enzo was an elite DM I wouldn't mind, but he's a 30 year journey man. It's amazing how people are looking st Enzo, a "high quality" six. How many tines have you seen him play? We should be paying £42m for a starter, and not relying on a journeyman to be our stater.

In two season we've gone from an elite DM to Enzo and people dont seem to see an issue with that, the regression is frightening. We are heading towards Poulsen and Konchesky territory here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Was class for 5 years.

In 2022 specifically, he banged in crucial goals in the title run in (at City, against Utd, Villa, Wolves) and CL knockout stages (semis against Villarreal, quarters against Benefica).FA cup semis against City.

28 goals in all comps in 2021/2022 even if only 9 of these came in the first half.

The way he's being remembered on here is absolutely shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I think we can consider Jones and Bajcetic to have nailed down 2 squad places of the 6 (incl Melo) who have left since last season. Then Szobo, Endo and Mac Allister makes 5. So there is definitely room for at least one other MF signing unless we're promoting Bobby Clark or James McConnell to the bench.

The other option of course is Trent, but we'd need to upgrade Phillips and maybe Gomez at CB to consider Trent a MF. Trent in MF also reduces Robbo's role too, so I hope that's not what we're doing.

A real issue for me.

One injury or suspension like we currently have with Mac and Thiago and Bajetic/Jones/Elliott are to be called upon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Looks like Fluminese wont let Andre go until they're out of the cup, so maybe January?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Their league runs until December, so I think that was always likely. Is there anything concrete to say we're after him though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

No just a lot of rabble from Brazilian journos. The article even says we didnt even bother discussing the terms on paper yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I think Gakpo has been a brilliant first team signing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Same guy on VAR this weekend as last

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

When will we know the outcome on the appeal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Enzokk

But why was our approaches for Lavia and Caicedo an embarrassment? Is it because they rejected us? We had agreements with both clubs but the players decided they wanted to sign for Chelsea instead.

Seems obvious to me that you haven't seen him play either, seeing as you cannot get his name correct. We will have to see how it goes, I suspect many of the doubters would have been laughing at our ambition signing that lad from relegated Hull for £8m all those years ago.

• Administrators Posts: 54,111 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

We messed around with Lavia with bids that we knew were never going to be accepted. Lavia could have been our player weeks ago.

If we wanted Caicedo, why did we wait so long before getting involved? There was a full two weeks between Fabinho leaving and us going for Caicedo.

Andy Robertson was like 22 when Liverpool signed him. Trying to equate him and the Endo signing makes no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,874 ✭✭✭hynesie08

No idea if this lad is reliable or not but saying personal terms agreed for Andre in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭JPup

Lavia would only have been our player weeks ago if we'd paid Southampton more than we thought he was worth. That's a dangerous precedent. United have followed similar logic in recent years to close deals for Maguire, Anthony etc. Chelsea have done it to a crazy degree in the past 12 months.

Andre rumours appearing again today. Interesting that the 2nd leg of the Copa Libertadores in on the morning of the transfer day deadline. So if Fluminese lose, we could sign him that day. Otherwise, it would have to wait until January.

Whatever about Caicedo, that was a punt after we were clearly led on by his agent that he may be open to a move, no real fault there, but the Lavia deal was a complete farce. 3 weeks of back and forth with bids clearly below the value placed on him by Southampton, regardless of whether he was worth that or not, they had no intention of budging and were under no pressure to do so either. So, we either coughed up if we thought he was worth it and really wanted him, or we moved on. But we wasted a valuable 3 weeks doing none of those things!

I’m not going to pass judgment on Endo himself as I don’t know anything about him so I’m willing to give him time, but you can’t compare him to signing a 22 year old full back with bags of potential for 8m. Also not getting in another body to go with Endo for the DM role is going to cost us dearly, we are 1 injury/suspension away from having no one there and been forced to play the likes of Gakpo in midfield for an extended period. Playing Thiago, Bajectic or Jones as the 6 is not going to get us anywhere, as it’s not any of their natural positions. Bajectic showed some promised there, but then the games he played as an No.8 for Henderson, he was clearly better suited and more comfortable in that role. 

Well then why didn't we move on from Lavia weeks ago if he wasn't going to be available for what we thought his value was? It was obvious Southampton weren't going to budge.

The club deserve credit for the speed at which Mac Allister and Szoboszlai were completed, but equally the shambles ind defensive positions cannot be overlooked.

Forgot about him! Yes agreed, he looks a good signing so far. Plus he's been moved around a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

The Lavia saga was a complete embarrassment. Bid £40m and got rejected and told £50m was the asking price, then bid £41m and got rejected and then bid £45m and got rejected and then bid £60m and got rejected by the player. Caicedo was fair enough, not much could be done there.

No, I haven't seen him play, I don't watch that many mid table Bundesliga teams, unlike yourself obviously. 😂 The signing of Andy Robertson is nothing like this. Andy Robertson was signed as a 24 year to compete with the current starting left back. Low risk, high reward. Endo is a 30 year old who is going to be our only DM this season. As I said, the regression is of standards from the club is frightening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Clickbait says Andre done deal, doesn't specify if it's for this window or the next,I am guessing January.

I doubt he will be our only DM this season. If he is then people have a right to complain. I expect us to sign at least one more player this window and probably another in January. Central midfielder and a defender.

The Lavia drip feed of bids was strange for sure. Not a good approach from the club. It seems clear they didn't think he was worth £50 million. Should have all been done in private.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Might get Gravers and Andre before the end of the window.

I know nothing of them but I guess it's good to have players coming in.

Chelsea messed around with the Caicedo bid and it was only our interest in the transfer that forced them to spend the money. That is how transfers are done and those that just say, "pay the club what they want", I wonder if they go into a shop and tell the owner to charge them what they want and they are happy to pay that. I know that is simplistic, but we are not Chelsea and we are not going to be shafted for fees.

On Robertson, sure I get it we are looking at 2 different players with different age profiles, but honestly tell me that posters would not have been complaining about us signing him and him not playing the first few months as well when City spent £115m on 3 LB/RB that window. It is easy to say in hindsight that his transfer was lauded at the time but I bet you had people moaning that we weren't spending money to sign other players instead.

The equation I am making between the 2 is that people are dismissing the Endo signing based off his fee. But they were quick to call Keita a waste of space due to his fee and the investment we made. So basically between a rock and a hard place, sign Endo for £15m and he does not work out, waste of time. Sign Lavia for £60m and he doesn't work out (like Ox or Keita), waste of time and money.

This is just interesting to see.

I am not going to sit here and say we made mistakes with the Lavia transfer, but using embarrassment is such a strong word. I still don't get why people would feel embarrassment over a transfer, the club is not a person so cannot feel emotions and those working in the industry will surely know this happens with all clubs at some time. We will have to see how Lavia develops, if he is an unqualified success then we have missed out but nobody knows that this will be what happens. Chelsea have had a lot of promising young players come into their squad and most of them have not lived up to their promise. We will see if he can be an exception to that rule for Chelsea.

I have also not said I am an expert, my opinions stink more than most I would say. But I am not going to throw the season under the bus after 2 games when I can see a promising squad being developed. Does this mean we will challenge for the title this year? Most likely not, but I can see us building a squad to challenge for the title in 2-3 years time. I am okay with that, but I think I may be in the minority for seeing it like that.

• Advertisement

"We are not going to be shafted on fees" We were going to be shafted, Chelsea moved the goalposts with their long contracts,a big risk to the clubs long-term future imo but they seem to be living in the moment , I can see Salah getting his head turned by a Saudi offer in the next two windows, just hoping we get the full season, he was a signing most said wasn't good enough also.

Nobody is dismissing Endo, but there's just too much mental gymnastics required to suggest he's the answer to our defensive problems. He is a cheap squad player who is being elevated to starting purely because we failed to sign anyone else.

If in June someone had said we're going to fix our midfield problems by swapping Fabinho for Endo nobody would have accepted it. Let's not pretend at this stage that it's actually ok.

As for the pay the club what they want, again nobody said this. It was clear Southampton wanted 50. We wanted to pay less. Either we adjust our expectations, or we move on. We wasted weeks and ended up with absolutely nothing. It was a mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭facehugger99

So you don't want any of the young lads starting or indeed being brought into the team to cover for injuries?

God, it's a good job you weren't managing Liverpool when Trent came through - he never would have gotten a sniff of first team action

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

You can dismiss the Endo signing on the basis of his fee, his experience, his career path. This stuff isn’t a mystery, it’s not all about ‘having to give them a chance’. Endo seems like a really good pro, and I’m sure he may become a cult hero.

But he’s not a player an elite team at the business end of the CL would be starting. It is HUGELY concerning if he is the plan.

To those who want to play young lads. That’s cool and all, we have some talented youngsters. But you need to think about who we are comparing ourselves to. Who are we competing with? We should be looking at City and Real Madrid and trying to get a team on the pitch that can beat them. If you want to make Chelsea and Spurs and Arsenal your comparison points and 4th place the goal then we’re going backwards.

It only took one down season out of the top four to beat the ambition and fight out of some of the fanbase. Such a shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

But Liverpool are not going to be competing at the business end of the CL this season. He may very well be the starting 6 for this season and then Andre or whoever comes in for next season.

Realistically the team are in a transition at the moment, you can't lose as many midfielders as we have and expect to compete for a league or CL. What needs to be done this season is to integrate the new signings, improve the tactics and mentality of the players and build a solid base to challenge again next season.

Top 4 is the goal with a focus on winning the EL and going deep in the FA cup.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

At top clubs, young players need to force their way into the team over time. Look at the likes of Foden who still isn't even a guaranteed starter at City. Palmer and Lewis are being very slowly introduced too, which reduces the pressure on them. At the moment we're one or two injuries away from relying on one or both of Elliott and Bajtetic playing week in, week out. That puts massive pressure on them and the rest of the team and potentially damages everyone's confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Top 4 is the goal this season, we aren't competing for the title. This a transitional rebuild, if we do manage a title challenge it'll be very surprising.

Nothing about the ambition been beaten out of the fan base, its just a dose of reality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Man City is a financially-doped club that can spend 10s of millions on back-up players to sit on the bench.

I wouldn't be using them as a yardstick for Liverpool.

Young players need to have a path to the first team and opportunities to play when injuries occur to the starting 11 - that's how they get better.

Using City as an example is not exactly a great barometer as they operate in a different stratosphere to us! Arsenal might be a better comparison, 2/3 years ago they underwent a process of bleeding in young players, Saka, Martinelli, Smith-Rowe, Elneny, Odegaard to name a few. Most of these guys played week in week out and it was to mixed results to say the least. Calls for Arteta to be gone and proven talent be purchased were called for on numerous occasions by Arsenal fans. They went 12 games in all competitions with only 1 win at one stage. No obviously not all players have worked out as well as others, Smith-Rowe seems to have died away after a very promising start. I’ve no idea if Liverpool’s youngsters will have the same success, but as fans we can’t expect young players to be bleed in and not suffer some pain along the way…Look at our transfers targets, Gravenberch and Andre, 2 21 year olds. We have no idea if these guys will propel us to the next level or not if brought in through the door. But the club seemed to have identified them as primary targets and youth seems to be the way forward for the club. If both the guys are brought in, I’d still expect some poor results while they build up the required experience. 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Andre will know if he's still in the libertadores early on Friday morning on the last day of the window. As a fan you'd hope they'd have everything set up to go if they get knocked out.

Conversely I also hope the club isn't just hoping for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I think the main frustration most have is that this rebuild should have been started last summer at the latest. We basically didn't sign a midfielder since Thaigo 3 years ago and then basically get rid of our midfield and try to replace them all in one window. We then begin the season with no DM, then sign Endo, who to be fair no one knows anything about, he could well turn out a great signing but it doesn't inspire confidence in how the club is going about signing players. With a bit better planning we'd be challenging thus year, even now if we signed a quality DM and a defender we still could, but, the club don't look like doing that.

You talk about a title challenge in 2- 3 years time, but we'll have to replace most of the defense plus Salah and depending on how this and next season goes possibly Alisson, plus Klopp will be very close to the end of his contract if still with us ( again depends on how this and next season go). Add to all that Newcastle will be stronger, United will likely have new owners, challenging for the title will be much more difficult than a couple of years ago.

Unless the club become smarter in the transfer market ( like back around 2015-20 era) and have less reliance on youngsters, realistically I see us reverting back to a top 4 -6 club who won't be seriously challenging for the title but, will be challenging for top 4, some years we'll make it and some years we'll miss out.

I don't think Klopp is thinking rebuild this season. I get the impression from the way he's been talking that he wants to go for it and try to win the league.

Salah and Vin Dijk are our two best players and are now 31 and 32 respectively. In three years time, we'll be looking at a complete rebuild when they go.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

As talented a coach that he is I doubt even he has a realistic expectation that he can get this current squad challenging for the title this season. It obviously is his job to motivate them to think they can but this squad has too many glaring weaknesses. Defensively in terms of personnel and tactics we are not where we would need to be. We give up too many chances.

An unlikely title challenge might only occur if City and Arsenal both greatly regress this season. I think we can compete with the rest but top 4 must be achieved this season for a rebuild to continue in the right direction going forward. It's a shame the club took their eye off the ball over the last 2 years and have made a bit of a mess of the last 2 months of this window. If the club had planned better I think the fans could be looking forward to more than a top 4 challenge.

• Advertisement

Well we cannot buy a new squad in one window. Now you may want to have replaced a few defenders, midfielders and then an attacker in one window for 3 years but that is not how we have done our business. We have overhauled our front line already and most of the midfield this window. I suspect we will focus on the defense, if we can start this year maybe bring in one, but then more next summer. Then we have a new squad that will hopefully be able to challenge again, hence my statement about a title challenge again in 2-3 years.

No use worrying how good United will be when they have money (like Ten Haag hasn't spent since he arrived), or Newcastle when they can figure out how to spend their untold wealth without falling foul of the spending rules. That is out of our control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

If we're rebuilding, then we should be moving Salah, Virgil and Thiago on. Retaining them doesn't make sense. There will be huge question marks over their future next summer and Thiago will be off. At that point Robbo has another year on the tyres too as a 30 year old that relies on his engine and athleticism.

A team that has Salah, Virgil, Allison, Robbo in it probably shouldn't have Endo and kids there too. It all seems a bit muddled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Were you not giving out a few weeks ago about leaving fabinho and Henderson go? And now you want to get rid of Salah and VVD?

You cant rip out key players all at once, Forward department doesn't need the level of rebuild that midfield needed anyway, that has been the one area of the pitch that has been kept fresh.

Im struggling to understand what you want Lloyd, you didn't want Fab and Hendo to go but you think moving on Salah and Virgil is the right move.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

Nobody expects the squad to be replaced in one window. That's a ridiculous take on the post you replied to. We would not be in this position if the club demonstrated any sort of competent planning over the last 5 windows where 2 or 3 players are rotated out and replaced with quality. The forward line is the only real area we have done this. Despite 3 additions this window the midfield is still lacking and a number of defenders are at stages of their careers that we need to look at replacing them due to either age or loss of form.

The point is we are now under pressure to get the next few windows right and do it with a rebuild of our defense and a midfield rebuild still to finish. It's not even the failure to get Lavia and Caicedo in that has annoyed me about the window. It's the 2 months or so wasted where we got nobody in and let a number of players go in an area we still needed reinforcements. We let 5 midfielders go this window and now have 3 in. It is a very risky strategy to go in to a new season with such a light midfield. We are relying on 3 young players to fill in the midfield backup.

On the subject of these 3, Elliot for me doesn't have the attributes to play in a midfield 3. Looks like a slightly more talented Harry Wilson. An eye for a pass but ineffective off the ball despite his workrate which is good. Bajcetic has shown glimpses but I would worry about his progress if we end up having to rely on him this season as a regular starter. Jones is similar to Elliot but with less potential. His injury record is starting to concern me. I actually find it frightening that some posters think he will come good based off a couple of decent performances at the tail end of last season. What's even more frightening is some suggesting him as a backup 6. This is the guy who repeatedly shows he couldn't block a passing lane to save his life. It is one thing to have 1 young player in the squad to get some gametime but 3 is too many and far from ideal.

Whatever about transfer policies and what we have got wrong, you can’t seriously expect a team like Liverpool to be able to completely overhaul midfield and defense in one summer. Rightly or wrongly, they seemed to have focused on the forward line overhaul first and now seem to be onto midfield, I would have liked some midfield options last summer, but funds were allocated to Diaz (previous January), Nunez and then Gakpo, I didn’t necessarily agree with that, but it is what it is. There would be holy murder if we got rid of Hendo, Fab, Salah, Robbo and VVD in one window. We wouldn’t even finish within the top 10 the following year. We would also be screwed trying to purchase new players as teams would know how departure we are, look at the mess we’re in trying to replace Hendo and Fab after the fact! If Pearce and these guys are to be believed, 2 more midfield options and a left sided centre back are the targets in the next couple of windows. Hopefully 1 of those midfield targets gets landed this week! Fans who want the overhaul done and title challenge ready within a few months are not being realistic. 

" homegrown" no point in even discussing moving those on for the same reason a silly bid was made for Lavia.

Again with this we left 5 midfielders go, Hendo was the only one any fan should of been arsed about. Ox and Keita were non entities, Fabinho was our worst Mf last season and Milner came off the bench. We have brought in 3 able bodies and potentially a 4th to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

Surely they're the exact yardstick to use given we want to win the league and they're the best team in it. We can't beat them financially but we can and have beaten them by being very savvy in the transfer market, instilling a really good squad mentality and having a medium term plan. All of that has seemingly gone down the swanny the last couple of years and we're now in a very precarious position. By all means we can play the kids but then you need to accept mid table mediocrity for a couple of seasons. I don't accept that given we know there's tens of millions sitting there not being used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Teams should always be a little bit in flux, with a few older lads, and a few younger prospects, with a core in peak age. We made the mistake of not gradually refreshing that middle bracket, which has of course led to this big rebuild.

But tbh I think we're not too far off finding the right balance again, probably 2 players - one more starter-level midfielder, and one more high level CB for competition and we're in decent shape. I think we may get one of those two before the window closes (probably CB), with hopefully the other to arrive in January if the Andre thing pans out.

Honestly, given the state things we were moving towards with the midfield and forwards all aging out together, I thought this interim period would've lasted longer. We pissed away the last big push the previous iteration of the team could've gone for, but we've done a lot of the hard yards of the rebuild reasonably well with Diaz, Jota, Gakpo, Nunez, Mac Allister, and Szoboslai. Add two more names to that list and I'll be happy enough.

Advertisement