Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The dairy boom.Can we officially say its over

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭alps

Not sure. Went back through my emails but can't go back far enough to find it (eircom.net days). Not many lads farming in company at that time tbf, but we formed a purchasing group (ltd company) back around 2001, so had been introduced to the form some time at some stage after that. Think it really came into its own when the chit hit the fan around '07, and the more important target for it may have been for builders.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Have been at 6k a cow and is no fun when things aren't going right. When it's for land and potential to add the few cows and increase output the per cow figure can drop away down rel quickly but when it's for facilities and no great increase in output the higher debt is more risk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I was talking to a dairy lad recently and his Teagasc advisor told him that on many farms at the minute it is costing upto 38 cent to produce 1l of milk. Sure that couldn't be sustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Depends. New entrants cost of production could be 40 cent a litre. A well established farm could be 23 cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I know alot of farmers now are telling me its costing them to produce milk.

One lad was told in January by the accountant that he needs 50c a litre to break even this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

I wouldn’t say it’s far off it. Costs are high. Meal for the year will cost more than it did last year for sane amount fed, electricity and contractor prices are up where they were last year plus many more

the greenfield was 33 Cpl with everything costed back when it was in operation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

I wouldn’t say it’s far off it. Costs are high. Meal for the year will cost more than it did last year for sane amount fed, electricity and contractor prices are up where they were last year plus many more

the greenfield was 33 Cpl with everything costed back when it was in operation

• Registered Users Posts: 18,656 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Ration cheaper this year by about 7-10% here and I am using straights, last year it was maize/oatfeed, this year it's maize/barley/hulls which is superior. As well I taught dairy farmers had to use less P this year which would have reduced cost....or is it next year

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

As a lad said to me in Glanbias yard yesterday as I was getting some fertiliser. They’ve made their bed now and may sleep in it. Stupid borrowed money spent like it was going out of fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭Grueller

I hear loads of that too when I am around the mart and merchants. It's generally from fellas that inherited a place and never bought so much as a sprong to develop the place. I am hearing about places going to the wall this 30 years and haven't seen too many sold at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭straight

Hurlers on the ditch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭cjpm

Were Glanbia the crowd that built a HQ that would rival Google’s for all the bells and whistles??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Fair bit of bitterness and resentment here from a few ….yes a few lads did and have lost the run of themselves …yes some will get burnt financially ….last year was both the best and worst thing to ever happen to dairying

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Maybe it's time to dust down the profit monitor and pull it off the shelf.its all about margin x volume.during the quota years it was all about cost of production as the volume was fixed but when quotas went it became more about volume and less about costs.stuff like high land leasing prices, zero grazing,contract rearing,high contracting bills,large capital spending all impact on your margin and there is a point where dilution won't do much for it.i m not saying bring back the profit monitor really as it was a model for its time but I think we have to start thinking about the margin more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

They couldn’t get enough of lad a few years ago. They can reduce cow numbers and rear their Jrx calves. They’ll be grand.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

You'd see it a bit on Twitter too. Lads only walked out in the morning and Daddy had the place set up already.

I wouldn't swap with them thou. Better in the long run to fit the place around you rather than you trying to fit into what someone else set up - even if it was yer oul fella 😀

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

I bought about 18T in 2022 due to the drought and hang over of cattle onto beyond Christmas because of it. This year it will be about 10-12T. I have no bargaining power compared to a dairy farmer buying maybe 500kg+/cow. If any dairy farmer is laying more than last year it's down to two factors, inability to shop around ( tied to a supplier because of there credit facility) or they did not shop around. There is no way a ration bill should be higher this year than last year. It's exactly the same with silage costs they have reduced from 36-38 back to 31-33/ bale.

A lot of it has been production for the sake of production.

KG you have pointed out the obvious. Lads need to get there costs under control. Before you spend a bob consider if it add value, breaks even or is costing you money.

There is a lot of marginal milk produced at a loss. Darragh reckons he will make a decent margin at milk this year. Ya lads might not like him. The reality is he has real labour costs in that I imagine with his journalist work and daffodils there is a lot of hired in labour on the farm for milking etc.

The name of the game is to turn a profit not to milk more cow's for less money.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Has he costed the probability of a 60k plus hit next year having to rear their x-bred bull calves I'd wonder, rambling on about extending a few calf pens ffs, they probably need to be putting up a new shed but that might blow their budget out, large x-bred herds like their running probably need to be factoring in a direct cash cost of 250 euro plus a year on the 60% of calves they sell on, that aren't replacements

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Wonder does that include labour or is the €70000 profit that teagasc estimates the average dairy farm will make this year deducted from it.

• Advertisement

Ya he will need to factor that in. However 60k investment in structure will only impact you accounts by 7.5k/ year plus maybe any interest if you borrow it.

However I think the calf cost will have to be shouldered more and more by the dairy farmer. Article in today's FI

for all the Kepak director's BS costs have not gone down substantially. The cut in price is now beginning to effect my low cost system along with the quality of last year's Friesians a d I mean Friesians not JEX. While fine looking FR's ( 80-85% grading O-/O=) the inability to put on weight ( many killing under 300 kgs LW and many more just above it) along with FS issues is causing a redirections away from buying them from mid year on in future. The JEX cattle may be a better bet as at least you will not have to pay much for them and FS will not be an issue while DW will not be much lower. The HO breeding is easier to deal with as well. Transfer that across to AA/HE and it a disaster.

Looking at reducing finishing numbers from a store to finish and changing to a runner/ yearling to finish system. With the pressure to move to slaughtering U24 months the September to March period will beco.e saturated with cattle. A substantial number of them ( along easy calving beef breeds) are too slow growing and need the full 30 months.

Will tweak the system and use the runner/yearling to do the heavy lifting

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

The reason costs haven't come down for productuon this year is the time of the year in which the majority of the costs are born, meal in spring and early summer, particularly in march with the weather. fert similar time frame. Other costs are staying stubbornly high as well. Prices peaked late last year and only started dropping in the summer so that's the reason meal costs will be as high as they were last year. Full year costs not point in time costs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ginger22

Shure McCulloch never milked a cow in his live. It is a neighbour running the place for him. A "partnership". What spoofer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭green daries

Aaaaannnnddddddd this is why lads are complaining ......or in somepeoples words whinging and crying . Margin wise it has been a complete whiplash of an 18 month period

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Jack98

What can you do when you have fellas not even milking claiming costs should be way lower this year by simply shopping around presumably thinking cost of production is low 20s and that milk is making low 40s based off an article mccoulloch wrote…

You can see where discontent towards dairy farmers comes from when you have misinformed viewpoints like the above, lots of established farmers under a great deal of pressure this year not to mind fellas with big out lays. Does dairy farmers no good getting it from every angle including fellow farmers!!

Hopefully the tide turns towards the end of this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

That doesn't mean he doesn't know his costs. With the business he is in I'd say he is well clued in to the bookwork

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭sandman30

Actually he did. His father was a dairy farmer, he took over when he came back home from college. I'm not sure if it lost money when he took over, but it certainly didn't perform. The cows and quota were sold and he started writing for the Indo.

More recently he is a silent partner with a neighbour. Think the partnership is milking 600 cows now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭straight

Wouldn't trust Darragh to milk my cows anyway. All talk and no action.

Ration was dropping in price from before Christmas last year. I was paying more in April 2022 than by Christmas '22. Prices have dropped since again. Not substantially but they have dropped.

@GrasstoMilk said it was higher for the same volume. Unless he purchased substantial volumes in Jan/Feb'22 or had a Forward price his meal price should not be more expensive on a whole of year basis.

I am not saying that prices have dropped substantially they are however cheaper this year than last year.

Why do you think fertilizer prices dropped this year. It was because lads shopped around. Ya some lads matched into the Kerry co-op store or only rang the Kerry rep and got rode.

But pricing around is a necessary function of any business

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Says it all about that canister when Ear to the ground showed the him unedited unable to put the clusters on a cow ,a job an 8 year old would make a better attempt ,pure tv gold

Advertisement