Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian Garry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,192 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

What a performance! I know Magny was coming in on short notice but Garry absolutely dominated. Imagine we had a fighter who performed like Garry did on Saturday night but who was also likable and was someone you wanted to get behind!

That would be great, Shame Garry's about as likable as staph!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

I think most were behind McGregor early on he himself alienated people with his antics and behaviour!

Gary has great potential just needs to find the right flavour for people to get behind him!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭Homelander

Ian Garry is becoming more incredibly unlikable by the day but to be fair that was an absolute domination, he made Magny look like some random lad pulled in from the crowd.

Some people are really letting their dislike of him get out of hand, someone on Reddit was like "He couldn't even finish Magny, his stock will plummet after that poor showing".

Super embarrassing for Magny....30-26, 30-26, 30-24. It was every bit as bad as Lemos v Weili but at least Lemos actually landed a few good punches and a decent submission attempt.

Wonderboy makes a lot of sense for Garry next, on the tail-end of his career and a striker. I understand exactly why he called him out but I'd love to see him fight someone like Belal or Burns.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

If you look back at Conor & press conference's & interviews ,There is a really clear point where he lost his wit , his smart one lines & charisma , it was the end of his movement training & his growth as a real martial artist ,

The point was right after he fought Floyd , Its when he went incompletely off the rails & all his out of cage issues started , He became angry & bitter Sounds childish but its when he became for the want of a better term " evil Conor "

In his private life this matched up with all his other issues, Basically we all know what he started doing hard & often & it was his down fall with the public,

Ad people say "don't do drugs kids"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,732 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Yeah Wonderboy is a great match up but I think currently Garry would be mauled by some of the top 5 or 6 guys in BJJ and wrestling. Chimaev, Belal, Colby, Usman would all be able to take him down wouldnt they?

Maybe Burns is too small to get near him?

Delighted for him anyway. Yeah a bit cringe but we should just accept that with lads who were teenagers when McGregor was on top. And he had the good sense to get out of Ireland and is training in a great team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Zverklez

Burns cornered him on Saturday night, they are friends and teammates, no chance they are fighting. Wonderboy was offered a fight with Garry on Saturday but turned it down, Dana mentioned it in the press conference

• Registered Users Posts: 39,298 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What's wrong with dressing well for a press conference? I mean, you'll be on TV, lots of cameras. Makes perfect sense to look professional and ditch the Affliction gear that made them look amateur. You don't have to wait for a wedding to dress well.

I understood you were claiming that guys like Garry are producing the guy in your story. I'm question how would you know who influenced him to say that? I mean, isn't is more likely that is was influenced by actual Youtubers make making millions. Rather than a pro athletes earning a giving through sport. Just seemed like a stretch to attach some local weirdo to Garry. More of an assumption than observation.

I did notice that. That ref is terrible tbf. I l also noticed similar panic when Magny grabbed his leg after a from kick to the face. Garry even jumped at one point. If Magny was on the ball, he'd have just slammed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭fitzparker

I agree, id rather get dressed up after a big win to be interviewed and head to the after party than be a scruff like Kavanagh who goes to the club in his trainer gear.

The comment is reaching.

Garry is in a tough predicament, Conor was the first and only of his kind. so whoever comes after will be compared with everything.

you come in with style = you are Mcgregor

Want a boxing match = you are mcgregor

Wit/Charisma/Sound bites = you are Mcgregor

You are irish = Mcgregor

What is the opposite of not Mcgregor? = Boring, it will get you no fights, no money

Social media is a huge platform to earn money/deals/sponsorships outside of the octagon especially when the money is dirt compared to boxing etc... So every video that might garnish a soundbite to rake up views is made,,, and who better to base this off? Conor.

Your right but also literally quotes McGregor every chance he gets, Says the exact same things Conor says,

On his vlog pre press conference , he was sitting in the hotel & says he was chatting to his mates & they where saying how press conferences give you the chance to say things that become iconic like "who the **** is that guy" , Then at the press conference he launches into the Conor " You;ll do what your told" ,

The guy had it pre planned & still had to be a pound land Conor ,

Trying to make a big issues out of what Magny said & white Knight it when nobody gave a toss, Everyone realised what Magny meant ,

The whole nutritionist thing is just odd

• Advertisement

Completely agree that he is trying to recreate the McGregor formula. A lot of it is forced on his behalf.

But I also think that people are going out of their way to complain about everything he does. Wearing a suit for interviews is entirely normal. Dozens of fighters now do it. If he wore a t-shirt and a cap, he's be slated too.

The ex-husband is involved in some of Garrys business. Future Coffee. Future Group MMA. He is also listed as a director of Layla Ltd. 😕. Strikes me as weird too, but not everyone has a messy resentful breakup.

I don't think I can agree re:white knighting though. Magny said he whoops his 3 year old. That's what he said, during a press conference to hype the fight. It was absolutely the right move to respond to it, that's the game. I would have went with a more "Hold on, did you just say that you beat your kid..." and force the back pedal rather that shout over him.

Whether Magny actually whoops his kid or not is irrelevant (to the callout/backpedal move) but it didn't sound like he was joking. Nor does this clown

Agree , i think suits make them look more professional ,

Still even if the break up is on great terms still odd to have your wife's ex husband constantly around you , especially is she has a son with him ,The nutritionist got the goods before they where pre used if you get me,

It was obvious Magny meant discipline his son ,there was no need to go completely over the top like Garry did it was cringe ,

So example Garry said Neal pulled out because he hurt his vagina, that not PC either ,

The most sensible post in this whole thread.

When McGregor started wearing suits to the press conferences other fighters started dressing up and got the piss taken out of them for copying McGregor.

Garry is in an impossible position. The best Irish fighter since McGregor. No matter what he does he'll always be compared to McGregor, at least until he wins the belt.

He's a bit goofy on the mic but not everyone is a natural.

Not everyone is McGregor or Sonnen.

I've no other details, other than they are all in business together. I don't know if he was the ex first and nutritionist later, or the reverse. Maybe they're a truple? Maybe they are scamming Garry. Who knows.

It was obvious Magny meant discipline his son...

By hitting/smacking/whooping etc. That's the issue.

Garry didn't have the charisma to pull it off. But calling it out is the right move.

If somebody at a press conference says "I eat pieces of shiit like you for breakfast". The obvious move is to flip it and say, "You eat shiit for breakfast?"

So example Garry said Neal pulled out because he hurt his vagina, that not PC either ,

Huh? I fail to see the relevance. That's in insult. Is vagina really un-PC? Why?

Regardless, the issue is not that Magny said something un-PC. It's that he hits his kids. It's fundamentally wrong. I'm surprised this is a discussion tbh.

Obviousy it was acceptable for a long time. So was giving the wife a smack every know now and again. Times have moved on.

He was ex husband & then became nutritionist , the wife got him on board,

Ye correct he couldn't make it work & sounded like a toll ,

The point is everyone & there neighbour knew what Magny meant , there was no need to go all "Karen" on it & try make a feud form it, it was odd by everyone ,

The point of the Vagina comment is Mr PC & the White Knight the UFC didn't know it needed is basically calling Neal a women & using that he is a woman as an insult ,Your either MR PC or your not ,

• Registered Users Posts: 38,275 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well the one great thing is seeing this thread so busy.

I know what Magny meant. And I think he's was wrong. Really seems like you are missing the issue.

Do you think it's ok for somebody to hit their kids?

is basically calling Neal a women & using that he is a woman as an insult ,Your either MR PC or your not ,

Women are in generally weaker than men. That is a biologically fact. I don't think it is non-PC to be aware of that.

We all know he is not an actual women. I don't have an issue with fighters calling each other names. I don't think fighters calling each others names is remotely comparable to hitting your kids.

Magny wasn't saying he beats his child,, he meant he'd discipline Garry , Magny has never talked trash so when he tried it sounded bad thats all,

|I agree but Magny didn't hit his kid did he, he tried to sound smart & made a meal of it that is all,

It was much to do about nothing

Except he did indicate he hits his child...

If he just said, "Garry needs discipline and I'm gonna whoop him like I'm his daddy" - I'd agree you you. There is nothing wrong with that. It trash talk (albeit lolbad trash talk). But Magny added words to the effect of "...as I'm a father myself, I'm accustomed to whooping kids".

I don't know if he actually does obviously, likewise you don't know that he actually doesn't hit his kids. Both are possible, but seems assuming he doesn't in order to have a go at Garry. I bet is Garry said it, he wouldnt get the same benefit.

And like I said, it was a press conference. Garry is supposed to make him eat his words. Regardless of whether he believes him. Garry says enough dumb things to not have to pick on this one imo

Nobody else cared or batted & eye lid because they understood what Magny meant,

Garry was recording himself on his VLog when he heard it & put on a littler billy barry white knight show for the camera in his face, Much to do about nothing ,

• Advertisement

I think it's great to see that Garry has a healthy relationship with his wife's ex. That's a great environment for a kid to grow up in with everyone getting along. The child's father must be fond of Garry to have a business and personal relationship (watch now, Garry will test positive for horse meat haha)

Garry has a good head on his shoulders. Got the **** out of Ireland to train with elites and has a healthy homelife - plenty of fellas his age wouldn't fancy being around the ex-hubby at all.

Look whatever works for your works for you,All very close in time line for me but each to there own ,

Lets not forget he got kicked off his MMA team in Dublin , they left him a week ,if not days before his cage Warrior championship fight because of interference from the now Wife who had just become his manger

In the long run it has certainly worked out better fro him no question , There been plenty of rumour's & hear say about her since but they look like they make it work , Every family dynamic is different & its nobody business either way,

I really hope the lad find himself in interviews & go on to gain huge support here at the moment people seem very split on him ,he certainly has the talent

Others fighters didn't bat an eye because they weren't fighting Magny. I wouldn't have batted an eye either if sitting there either. But I'm just saying that I can get why his opponent would give him shiiit over it. That's the purpose of the presser.

I thought Garry was a plonker at the start. I'm starting to com around and feel bad for the guy now, every is giving him no leniency at all. If he can keep winning and shut the gob, he might recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭rondog

the problem is Ian is a tw@t.Hes an immature bell end.He was raising his hands trying to get the crowd cheer for him when he won and i didnt hear any cheering which is not really heard of for an irish man in boston.

All his giving the finger BS, he just looks like a clown who is trying to hard.

Id love to get behind him as an irishman but he makes me cringe with everything he does.

Also, the fact he couldnt finish a man that only had one leg makes me think he will struggle with real tough Mudders in his net few bouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Most of the Irish mma lads come across as idiots, cant think of any that are likeable. They all seem to think they are better then what they are. Gallagher in particular is an awful clown. At least garry is backing his talk up though.

Anytime I've seen Magny get stopped it's been by sub. I don't remember him ever getting stopped by knockout.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Going by the last few pages in here, I’m sure this won’t be a popular opinion but I don’t mind seeing Garry carrying on as he is in the least bit. I think there’s a touch of the old belief here that the Irish as a nation typically look down on confidence with begrudgery.

Can he be a little annoying? Absolutely, but there’s no malice in it and outside of the cage he comes across as a resoundingly grounded and harmless fella. He can keep talking all the sh*te he wants, but as long he’s not beating up old men in pubs, being in and out of court as much as a judge and involving himself with career criminals, he’s doing alright IMO.

A good Irish role model in MMA is refreshing, honestly. I’ll be supporting him any time he steps in the cage for as long as he keeps his name out of the tabloids.

Either way, I see him championship potential in him so it’ll be exciting to follow him over the next couple of years.

I think his antics are far less annoying than McGregor tbh. And Gallagher though he's barely worth mentioning.

Was KO'd twice. Including this one by Ponzinibbio that bears quite the resemblance the Garry fight.

Leg kick, hopping on the cage. Garry lacked the KO power, but he did his homework

https://www.facebook.com/viaplayfighting.no/videos/2630886657031684/

• Advertisement

Advertisement