Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut Megathread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I did. That was back in April I think. My Ulster card had just been closed so went ahead. Limit was about 1.5 times higher than Ulster although I got that Ulster limit about 7/8 years ago.

It’s 160% of my net monthly salary although they probably took rent/mortgage into account too. A very precise number too ie it ends with €70 rather than rounding to the nearest hundred.

Oddly enough I asked about reducing it this week as the limit impacts my mortgage approval (even though I always fully pay it off, usually even before the bill comes) and it can’t be done. Was advised I’d have to cancel and reapply which is probably pointless enough as they’d probably give me the same limit.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

So I go to finish the credit card application today, it throws me out so I start again and it now says I don't meet the criteria / declined after being offered a limit yesterday.

FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Just wondering if you got sorted with this? Im in the same situation, Wire transfer bouncing back to eTrade account. Contacted Rev who have said its an issue an eTrade's end, something to do with SSI not being updated by them. Rev have provided me with 2 additional BIC's in the US, n intermediary and a correspondent bank BIC. Have no clue what to do with 3 BIC's at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Has anyone received a GBP payment to their Irish Revolut IBAN? Was it automatically credited to your existing GPB subaccount/pocket?

I will need to transfer over 20k from a matured trust fund in the UK, this would seem the simplest method if the account manager can send to the Irish IBAN. Otherwise I am at the mercy of whatever GBP/EUR exchange rate they come up with.

Previously moved the proceeds of house sale via a FX agent, but no longer have a UK bank account needed to hold the funds.

Any complications with transfers over €10k - money laundering checks?

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭aidanki

My father is going to USA for 2 weeks in September, he is in no way mobile phone or computer savy so doesn't want any pesky text messages asking him to confirm cards etc. his phone wont work anyway in USA so he wont be able to receive a text message from AIB Im pretty sure ?

would opening a revolut account for him and top up with 1000euro and use that rather than bankcard avoid all of text message etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Would say it will definitely work easier than an AIB or BOI card. Once you have the Revolut account opened here, buy USD within the app and he taps the card it will debit in USD (saving you the FX each time of you left it in EUR).

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭CoffeeImpala

Buy a small amount of GBP so you have balance in that currency. You will then have a UK account number associated with that balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭raxy

Revolut car insurance is a major disappointment!

I got insurance for €593 last week but the car insurance option appeared in the revolut ap. Same details €1783.

I wasn't expecting much when I heard it was through AIG but that's ridiculous.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Finally got the credit card today after months of harassing them on chat!

got a near 5k limit!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Do you think your harassing had any impact?

I want to move my credit card to them, but I'm still on the waiting list.

My wife who doesn't want a cc can get one from them is she wanted but not me.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

It only happened after "months of harassing them on chat", so I doubt it...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I feel like currency fair might be better for that, you can do a large currency transaction in one go and the rates are usually decent enough

I think if money is sent to a Euro IBAN it'll be automatically converted to Euros, might be better to send it to a GBP IBAN and then convert it in chunks to avoid the fees?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Yeah, I already had a GBP subaccount and saw that the IBAN is the same as for the EUR account.

However just had a look there and the GB subaccount also has a "LOCAL" account option which appears to be a UK sort code. I've asked my brother to do a small transfer to check it out. Thanks for the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Kevrano

The trouble is a lot of UK banks will flag transfers from UK banks to the Revolut UK details as fraudulent. I've had relatives where the transfer is blocked or they had to call the bank to confirm the payment was genuine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Gooser14

I use Revolut to transfer & exchange a UK pension monthly. I transfer in sterling from a UK bank to the Revolut GBP Local account number & to date I have not experienced any problems. The sums involved would be small in comparison to the amount the OP wishes to transfer.

Prior to Revolut I used Currencyfair.

Yes, I anticipate having to prove the source of funds above 10k. That should not be a show stopper.

I doubt that I can split this transfer in to smaller amounts to avoid this, that will be in the hands of the fund manager.

Thanks Gooser14 for confirming that this route works for sterling transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

Has anyone had any experience renting cars with their Revolut debit card? On the price comparison sites, most seem to require a credit card, but when you dig in to the Ts&Cs of the companies themselves there seems to be some wiggle room if a hold can be placed on the card or you purchase excess cover from the rental company. I'm pretty sure my card (Visa Infinite, debit) can have a hold put on it, as I bought fuel via a pre-authorised payment once, but will that do for car hire?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

It could possibly (and technically should) work but online booking systems might have an issue with it. If you can call the rental company or arrange it at the rental desk it might be ok.

You would probably have to keep a reasonable amount in the Revolut account to cover any issue with holds just in case, if it's a rental in the states it might be trickier, I pretty much use a CC for any hotel/rentals there to avoid any hassle. Rental companies obvs want a cc in case anything happens

The chances of success are not very high when you have to start arguing with someone at a sales desk that your debit card is the same as everyone else's credit card, even if you can tell them someone else from the internet did it. Yes it be able to persuade someone to try it and it might work, but if renting a car is an important part of your trip, then you need a more reliable plan B. At the very least call them and find out, get the name of the person you spoke to and even ask if they will be around when you intend to pick up the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭bren2001

I've rented a car with a Revolut card once. They just placed a hold on the card for a few hundred.

• Advertisement

Could you perhaps tell us the agency, so the questioner might be able to use them?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I believe enterprise will charge a €500 deposit if paying by debit card in Ireland

Part of the problem is the policy can vary around by country, so even if it works in Ireland it might not work for the same agency in another country

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭bren2001

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Some rental operations are franchises so even if you say it was Hertz, it will still depend on the local company doing the rental. But the bigger the name, the more likely it is that you will not need a large hold on a card. I've rented several times from Europcar in Lanzarote, last time the excess was about 800 but they only held 300 on my credit card. And they never bat an eyelid when I decline their insurance. Being a repeat customer probably helps.

Some of the cowboys insists on such a huge hold that you effectively have no choice but to buy their rip-off insurance. Which is why you often see long queues at their desks in the airport, it's because the guy at the front of the queue is trying to talk his way out of buying the rental company's insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 inyoup

My partner tried to get revolut Credit card - his pay is close to 5k net per month with our mortgage of 1k per month. I get about 3.5k net per month and no dependants - application rejected. He has a history of loans and credit cards - always paid on time and in full .. so I'm not sure what to think ... I see there is some centra bank credit rating issue going on so wonder if that has something to do with it ...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

The central bank doesn't credit rate people

The CCR provides data (monthly data on loans, credit cards etc), and banks are free to score based on that, but that is entirely on them.

There is no central bank credit score or rating.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I had my application and card processed within in about 2 weeks. Moved the balance from another card I had too and there was no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Would only affect a person if they had poor credit history in those 3 additional retained months of data which you have said does not apply as payments were always ontime. So it is unlikely that that is the reason. Besides their credit cards only go up to 10k which isn't much use for the larger impulse purchases.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Revolut's credit application processes are a bit murky.

They rejected me for a loan in the past even though I would easily get a loan for two or three times the amount from any bank without question.

Advertisement