Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,024 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Fair play to him- a person not afraid to speak his mind but then again, those who are independently wealthy never are.

https://m.sundayworld.com/showbiz/irish-showbiz/rte-star-slams-kevin-bakhurst-for-public-execution-of-ryan-tubridy/a992316797.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Was interested in a benchmark for the changing audiences. Most of the Irish market hasn't been two channel land since the 1970s. This is because the main cities in Ireland all had cable television networks by the 1980s. That meant that viewing habits changed. Another factor in the change was that the price of television sets fell as cheaper components and sets became available from Japan, China and other countries.

With the start and middle of the Gaybo era, most homes had a single TV set. When that began to change, a lot of the younger viewers were not forced to watch the LLS on the family set. As these viewers grew up, not watching the LLS became a habit but the older viewers kept watching the LLS. The effect of Video Cassette Recorders (VCRs) started to hit in the 1980s as well and this continued into the 1990s and early 2000s with DVDs. Kenny was more Current Affairs than Light Entertainment but he didn't do a bad job. Tubridy was the wrong choice. He may have appealed to a diminishing market but RTE made a very bad decision in giving him the flagship show when he had made a mess out of every opportunity he had been given.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

Yeah I saw that just now and posted the article above.

Regardless of my comments here on the thread, there’s a bit of me that agrees with him.

However, RTÉ have been shafting it’s own hard working full time staff and badgering the public into paying this stupid licence fee (which of course is the law) whilst doing absolutely nothing to reform the cost over runs and stupid waste of money - except of course going cap in hand to the government every year to get even more public money.

Ryan Tubridy should not be the poster boy of all that’s wrong with RTÉ- that resets solely with the previous administration.

Tubridy’s actual pay was deliberately skewed from the public - while Tubridy should have insisted on transparency he in fairness to him has apologised for that.

He placed the new DG in a very difficult position considering the internal disillusionment he has to deal with of ordinary staff members - he made a very difficult but correct decision in the end.

Tubridy might return to RTÉ in a year or two- but hopefully it will be starting to become a better organisation at that point and Tubridy will have to roll in with that

Post edited by Oscar_Madison on

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

‘That has served his country so well’

What is that guy on about ? What planet is he living on ?

That’s the type of hyperbole I’d expect from someone living in his own reality but it’s not anyone else’s

Another fool who can’t read the room (country).

Being an editor is a tough job. Journalists often have more freedom. There's a famous encounter between Vincent Browne and Beaker on the Tonight show that's worth watching. He doesn't back down. I think that he didn't expect the Tubridy payments scandal to turn out the way that it did.

Rather than it being just a Silly Season story it has become a black hole and is dragging RTE management, its board and presenters into it. Tubridy is news and whichever newspaper gets him to talk will sell a lot of copies. This may be why Tubridy is getting a sympathetic angle in some Indo/Sindo coverage. It might appear to be an agenda (all journalists have at least one) but it looks more like the news business.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

As I say he’s independently wealthy and doesn’t need the future “good will” of RTÉ- he’s selling up his hotels that he owns with his brother so there’s no real dependency on RTÉ there any more.

For me, it shows that the only people in the public eye who are willing to speak out in favour of Tubridy right now, are people who have no dependency on RTÉ for their livelihood.

Where’s Joe Duffys words of support? Or Brendan O’ Connor or Miriam O’ Callaghan? Id say they’ll be in their best behaviour in the coming year - Yes DG, No DG 3 bags full DG🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 15,350 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

So Tubbers has been approached by a U.K. TV News channel....

and that channel is.....

GB News

This pretty much tells you the level of talent and regard Tubbers is held in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭stevejr

So ultimately you're saying that it's all about money with the journalists as well. I don't doubt this for a second. Businesses have to look after the bottom line after all.

That's why it's difficult to get an objective view on this. To form one myself, I've pretty much just ignored the press and only allowed the facts of this scandal to inform to form my view.

The trouble is, The Indo group are a national platform, and as such they're extremely influential. They can, and have, had a measurable impact on public opinion. At present, their editorial influence is being used in support of clear wrong-doing on the part of Kelly and Tubridy. Throwing mud into clear water.

And I don't think the "just business" defence of Sheahan enhances anyone's opinion of him in all this. The "just business" defence has been used before, in defence of far worse acts, unfortunately.

What's the reason for being reasonable?

Is that an unreasonable question?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Expunge

'People's presenter' Ryan Tubridy approached by UK news channel (msn.com)

GB News come a' calling for Tubridy. I'm not sure it'll be a great fit for him but better than nathin

Longterm I’d counter “nathin” would be better than joining that outfit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Ryan won't go to GB News because that'd be seen very negatively here, and he wouldn't be ideologically comfortable with their brand of biased news.

While he won't go there it does show he has options, they're kind of lovebombing him. Other major UK broadcasters are obviously going to want him too, but hopefully he stays in Ireland. I think he will. I think he'll go the podcast route until RTE see it needs him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

GB News?

Is he going to turn right wing now?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Trampas

GB will do anything for a bit of attention

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭head82

I reluctantly clicked on that Sunday World link. Now, having done so, I'm convinced John Brennan is our very own 'Sunny Disposition'.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,640 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So will we see the Toy Man join the right wing TV station that would be an interesting turn of events.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Karppi

I would laugh my bollix off if this happened.

Tubridy jettisoning his lifelong D4 liberal worldview for the sake of a few bob.

And still drowning because their encumbent talentless muppets are still making him look incompetent.

GB News would even deserve a €uro out of the licence fee to hammer that final nail into the coffin of Tubridy's career.

Surprised that a Russian TV station hasn't been in touch with Tubridy. They share the same initials. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

I wonder if Callan was "spoken to" by management, after his mouthing off

• Advertisement

Their audience figures are bad enough as it is without Tubridy. Don't think that they could afford a Tubridy "success".

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Doc07

That was as pathetic as Michael Healy Rae defending John Delaney

If Tubridy takes up an offer from an Irish commercial radio station that’s the end of his association with RTÉ.

He’d have to build up a new following of listeners just like Pat Kenny did- so what would happen after 2 years IF RTÉ approached him to rejoin? All that time and investment wasted by the commercial station to build up his brand?

Besides the doubt of being offered a commercial radio contract in the first place, it would seem Tubridy is now caught between a rock and a hard place - taking an Irish commercial radio contract is not likely to be high on his priorities

-one off projects, either independent tv production company or solo runs like pod casts or some filling in BBC radio work, and/or a history book maybe tied into an independently produced tv show, are probably his options right now- he’s certainly not unemployable but if he wants back in to RTÉ he’ll need to keep that door open himself

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Trampas

Another bug on nk page.

If you select tubs it says he is a present on rte radio and tv. A radio show from 9-10. Someone should tell Noel it’s not right

Jim Davidson Nigel farage Graham linehan Ryan tubridy

sure it’s perfect 😂

Well Ryan still has “a fast paced entertaining” radio show according to RTÉ 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

GB News! The holding pen for British media's populists, propagandists, weirdos and assorted oddballs with a few skeletons in the closet. Sounds a perfect fit for our Ryan!

Not that I think for a second that Tubs has any inclination to go to London fulltime, even if it was for an offer of a primetime BBC1 chatshow, but if there's anyone who could jack in his particular brand of caring, sharing, Kennedy democrat, pro EU, Oirishness and swap it for a war on woke GB News agenda, RT is the very man!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,478 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Beggars can't be choosers. If there's no guarantee of of a way back in with RTE he has to look at whatever alternatives are on offer. And it's quite possible he won't get a better one than this...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

"Public execution" is a rather dramatic overreaction from John Brennan.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement