Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART+ (DART Expansion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

Sorry I'm editing this after listening to the video. Specifically the stations being cut and cover, I don't know.

He missed the Finglas Luas extension! And his pronunciation was gas. Great effort. Enjoyed that!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

They are all cut and cover, even OCS. Without local knowledge, you can forgive the mistake, as looking on a map you'd think that it's the only station that's under existing buildings.

They've done sterling work with getting all the stations cut and cover, to be honest, it's one of the most impressive aspects of the design, they really had a laser focus on it throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,401 ✭✭✭cgcsb

"So" was in response to your statement regarding that layout not being officially proposed. My point was it should be, it's that simple. Rather than tolerate more aggressive and pointless posts from you I'll just pop you on ignore going forward.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Shrug! So you aren't willing to discuss or defend your idea, that really isn't much use on a discussion forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 TravelCounty

Are there any plans for using the new battery-electric DART fleet to service the next few stops after OHE lines are completed?

For example, to go to Dundalk after Drogheda, Enfield or Kilcock after Maynooth, Wicklow after Greystones, Kildare after Hazelhatch.

It's probably not feasible due to the tight margins it would be operating on (e.g. they're about 30km after their respective terminus, so 60km in total would be the distance travelled on battery - leaves only ~20km of "spare" battery). I know often a somewhat simple idea is not the best one, but it seems like a short-win way to bring electrified trains to these areas.

I feel these are the boundaries that could be considered acceptable to travel with stops. Other services like Portlaoise-Heuston, Longford-Connolly, etc. could service only one DART station before going non-stop to their Dublin terminus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Places like Dundalk, Enfield and Wicklow are too far for DART services, they need fewer stop outer commuter services.

That's fair. I find it easy to fall into the trap of brand new shiny train = better. Dundalk is likely fair enough, it is quite far out.

I think it's something that's a source of a bit of conflict in South Kildare where there's the most debate about a potential extension. A regular less stop service from Kildare/Newbridge/Sallins would be great, though it'll be interesting to see how much time exactly will be saved seeing as by the time you get to Hazelhatch you've a lot of the journey done already.

I will say that there does seem to be vague plans for a full extension to Wicklow. I'm not entirely sure why this is the case. Would Wicklow not benefit from a similar less stopping service instead of stopping at the many stations along the DART line in South Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Ireland trains

Currently trains travelling from Wicklow only call at a handful of stops but the journey time is the same as the DART, so it wouldn’t really make a difference in journey time if the dart was extended to Wicklow.

as for the south kildare line, the most logical plan would be for the current Portlaiose service to run fast to Hazelhatch, and the serve all stations

My guess then is the extension to Wicklow is more to do with trying to get it a more reliable and frequent service.

With the South Kildare/Naas situation, I think what can be hard to convey sometimes is how beneficial it will be for the area to be <20 minutes from the DART network regardless of their inclusion in it directly.

Also interesting to see how DART+ affects trains running from Newbridge's 3rd terminus platform. I'd struggle to see that convert to a few stop route - it'd essentially only serve Newbridge and Sallins and a small no. of Hazelhatch passengers who didn't get the last DART then straight to Heuston/GCD. While it will serve the lines two busiest stations (Newbridge + S&N), I don't see IR justifying a fast route just for what's really only picking up at 2 stations - though I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

It's also a question of rolling stock management. For example, having consistent frequency DARTs going out to Newbridge will require a lot of trains. You could reduce frequency after HH and have say every third DART run to Newbridge but then some DARTs are going outside the 4 track limits and can be delayed by other trains which can create difficulties and throw out the consistent frequency.

It would be better to stop DART at HH and use dedicated trains for stations further west. East of HH, those trains can use the fast tracks so able to overtake DARTs and make their journey from Kildare to Heuston and back much faster than a DART would, requiring less trains. Obviously services going further out also shouldn't have the same internal layout as DARTs.

I'd say the reason there is talk of extending DARTs to Wicklow is because that line is extremely limited so little opportunity for additional services or improved journey times south of Greystones. Extending DART to Wicklow is probably seen as one of the few improvements which can be made south of Greystones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

It would make a difference because the line to Wicklow is not scheduled for elecrtrification. Remember that only a small share of the newly-ordered trains are battery-electric - an extension like this would swallow up most of them on a line that's already mostly electrified. And Wicklow-Dublin is a long journey to do comfortably on an urban train...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,319 ✭✭✭prunudo

The only way extra commuter type trains could be used on Wicklow - Dublin is if they terminate at Bray or Greystones. There is no capacity further north to slot a train in that doesn't stop at every station.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes, worth noting that the new Dart+ trains have a top speed of 145km/h, up from 100km/h of the existing DART. Making them more suitable to operate the longer distance to Wicklow. Also from the pictures of the prototypes, they feel slightly more commuter-ish then DART.

"Remember that only a small share of the newly-ordered trains are battery-electric"

I could seem them using the battery trains to Drogheda first and then once the OLE work is completed to Drogheda, use those battery ones to operate to Wicklow. It is basically a nice way to increase the frequency of service to Wicklow.

Kildare will be better off with more direct service thanks to quad tracking.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,690 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

That’s not correct - there is a path in each direction each hour available for a service south going to/from south of Greystones.

How do you think the existing Rosslare services fit into the 10 minute DART?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Dart+ will see 3 services an hour to/from Greystones. Possibly one of those will be extended to Wicklow Town. Whether it's a limited stop service remains to be seen; there's not a huge benefit to limited stopping on the SE line as you'll only get stuck behind an all-stops DART anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Consonata

Poorly, given the Dart acts as a bottle neck to expanding services. The reason why they can't do hourly service south of Greystones is the stopping Dart services. There isn't enough space, especially given the Bray Head bottleneck

1 train an hour from Wicklow for commuters isn't sufficient.

They can do an hourly service to/from Wicklow using the Rosslare paths each hour - either using the Rosslare train or a Wicklow terminator.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

they currently have 5 trains a day; 1 an hour would be a massive improvement and not terrible for a town that far from Dublin.

With respect that’s a different issue.

You originally said that no commuter trains could be added without terminating at Bray or Greystones. That statement is not correct.

There are two paths every hour available for trains to operate between Connolly and stations south of Greystones. Normally that would be one train in either direction, but it may well be that at certain peak times that both paths could be used in the same direction.

Additional trains could run now if IE had spare rolling stock or drivers, but they don’t.

• Advertisement

New signalling, a new passing loop at Greystones, and the new faster DART trains should allow DART services to clear the Bray-Greystones bottleneck quicker than at present. This provide for more than one slot per hour for trains coming from south of Greystones.

Thats interesting, didn't know that. Begs the question though, why isn't IE utilising those slots currently then.

The last sentence in my post explains exactly why.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Maybe the same reason the Phoenix Park tunnel does not get a weekend service, lack of drivers and train sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭densification

The initial 185 carriage DART+ fleet order comprises 30 electric and 155 battery-electric carriages, which have been ordered in two phases: 95 carriages (30 electric and 65 battery-electric) in December 2021 and a further 90 (all battery-electric) in December 2022.

Full length train will be 10 carriages long. Alstom have been awarded the contract for charging at Drogheda, and planning permission granted by Louth CoCo. Irish Rail :similar charging infrastructure envisaged elsewhere in the Greater Dublin Area, and also being examined for the Cork Commuter network and for Wicklow.

My mistake, I had the quantities the wrong way around from the first order.

I’m open to correction, but running that many BEMU trains in revenue service by 2025/26 would make Iarnród Éireann one of the the largest users of battery+electric trains in the world. Strange days indeed when IÉ is leading the rollout of something, but willingness to try new solutions is a welcome change. (I know people bitched that these were a fudge, but from a PM point of view, using BEMUs removes the really big job of line electrification from the critical path to DART service improvements - electrification can roll now out incrementally, at the same rate as the DART+ services expand, rather than having those service rollouts tied to the OHE installations)

Incidentally, from what I read, the new trains are 10 cars max, but only slightly higher capacity than the 8xxx series 8-car configuration, because the X'Trapolis cars are shorter. However, they offer walk-through for each five-car section, which is a major plus for passenger comfort. Also, the trains are faster (and faster to accelerate), and this is where the service capacity improvements will come from.

Would be brilliant if IÉ were to lead the way in BEMU (though scary in other ways because it is strange territory 😅).

Is there any semblance of plans as to the rollout of new DART+ trains/services? i.e. Can we expect certain services to rollout before full OHE lines? I guess it won't be happening for DART+ SW before Heuston West, quad-tracking from Park West & Cherry Orchard, and possibly improvements to PPT, but for other services like Maynooth and Drogheda (which I'm nearly sure is the plan for Drogheda), it could be a possibility?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Apologies if this has been answered before.

But does anyone know anything about the proposed Dart station for Ballyfermot at Kylemore Rd?

I know Eamon Ryan said it's outside the scope of current project but is considered for future and funding has been provided for design.

Do people think it's possible that it could be done as a separate project in parallel and delivered at the same time?

So, for example, if 2027 is a realistic timeline for Dart+ SW, the Ballyfermot station could be delivered then. Is 2027 a realistic timeline?

I'm guessing building stations is relatively simple; it's everything else like quad tracking, electrification, signalling, scheduling, hiring drivers, buying trains etc is the complicated part.

But the service has been bad for as long as I remember. They never seem to have any intention to utilise it. They can only blame shortage of drivers or rolling stock for so long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭danfrancisco83

In my opinion you'll probably see a train to Navan before a Ballyfermot station. It will just get kicked out time and time again. Nice idea, but a nightmare for antisocial behavior. I used to 'play' on the tracks beside Tubs and Tiles, there's a reason they erected spiked steel fences many years ago.

Advertisement