Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭letsbefair

They will wait until last minute to decide how he has responded to the first week of treatment

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

But the SA match probably isn't a must win game, (unless Scotland beat SA) while Scotland and all of the knockouts are

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

The SA game should, and (I suspect) will be treated as a must win.

The 2 week break that follows allows extra recovery time, and it would be ideal to play Scotland knowing qualification was already assured. Takes pressure off and affords another week rest before the QF for a handful of first choice players if needed.

We will be all out to make it 3 wins out of 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Yeah a win against SA takes pressure off the Scotland game and along with the extra week would give the team great chance to rest up anyone with a niggle or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

It doesn't change anything we try to win S-A game, priority is QF so Sheehan has to be there, whatever way it is (send back a guy with the 72h rule or have Dan in the 33)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Am I right in saying though that the only way that we are guaranteed qualification from the pool prior to the Scotland game is if both Scotland and ourselves best SA? The more realistic situation is that SA win that one putting Scotland on 2 wins ahead of our game against them. If we beat SA then they’ll finish on 3 wins while we go into the Scotland game on 3 wins. A Scottish win could potentially knock us out then, BPs and PD depending.

Its highly unlikely that we’ll go into that last game against Scotland with qualification already secured. It’s probably a must win no matter what (unless SA lose to Scotland and us, which won’t happen). At the very least we’ll probably need at least something from that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

We'd like to win all our games, but if I was Farrell and had to choose between having Kelleher for SA or Sheehan for Scotland and later, I'd pick Sheehan.

We should still be aiming to beat SA. Not saying we should hrow any games but it's not going to end our tournament if we lose

(presuming a disaster hasn't happened in the 1st 2 games

Yes you are correct molloy.

If SA beat Scotland, and we beat SA, then chances are Scotland would have to beat us with an asterix or two on the day.

Arrogant as it sounds, we've had Scotland's number for quite some time now. They perform well when given a little space. They don't get that from this Irish team. They just don't.

So the likelihood of them beating us with bells and whistles at the end of September is an extremely unlikely event.

Edit... We're playing them in October not September if course!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Agreed. They’ve beaten SA once in the last 20 years and us once in the last 10. That doesn’t guarantee both will beat them in the RWC, but it does mean that they are a team that neither side would fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

edit: mad!

sorry thought u were saying only bringing 2 SH

Ireland have to go with the 3 SH because of the schedule. Same for OH.

But bringing 4 Hookers, with two of them injured as we speak?

Sheehan is worth the risk (assuming its not a metatarsal) in isolation because he's the best hooker in he world.

Add Kelleher into the mix...Injured yet again and it's a hamstring (again) injury. No.

4 hookers v 4 centres...all things considered I'd leave Sheehan at home.

18/15: 3 Hookers (Herring, Kelleher, Stewart), 4 Locks, 5 BR, 4 Centres, JOB and Earls. 

I'd get Kelleher right for SA and Scotland. Likelihood is one of the 3 hookers is going to breakdown or "feel" a hamstring before QF.

Post edited by ionadnapokot on

• Advertisement

Sheehan + Kelleher + Herring in the 33

if Kelleher is out of form after the 2 1st game send him home call Stewart

absolutely no need for both JOB and Earls 19:14 split

• Registered Users Posts: 11,651 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

You can't just send a player home. WR require medical reports etc.

Otherwise teams with huge pool of players can manipulate the system.

In 2015, Zebo I think it was had a family bereavement that required WR approval to leave England for a few days.

if Kelleher is good to go no reason to send him home.

If he can't last as some predict, he'd have his medical report

No reason to omit him in the 33, except the unlikely circonstance he gets injured in training less than 72h before a game

Even in this case Herring will last 80 for 1 game that don't matter, including S-A, and after Sheehan will be ready

But you said if "Kelleher is out of form send him home'. Cant do that based on form. Everything will be monitored very closely. Won't be able to use a medical report which would pre-date a RWC appearance.

Below is taken from Indo article in 2015. Zebo needed tournament approval to leave camp after his grandfather died.

-------------------------------------------------‐---------

Simon Zebo has left the Ireland squad on "compassionate leave" but is expected to return to camp tomorrow ahead of the World Cup clash with Italy this weekend.

"Simon has been granted compassionate leave by the tournament and returned to Ireland this morning. He is due back with the squad tomorrow," a spokesperson told independent.ie

-----------------------------------------------------------

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Players can only be replaced for medical or compassionate reasons. Not because they're "out of form"

Yeah "out of order" would be more appropriate.

I meant if he's back in the current situation, or gets another injury. If not it's better he stays of course.

My point is there's no reason not to take the risk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

There's lot of reasons not to take any risk, it wouldn't be a risk if there wasn't.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The Scotland game is going to be huge, they'll have nearly a month between SA and us whereas we'll have 2 weeks since SA, Scotland have shown time and again that in a once off game they can beat us, last game in Croke Park always comes to mind.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

For hookers, such a critical position now, whatever about matches, in training you need them to be available for set plays, bring 3 with 1 sitting out and that limits the amount of set play drills the backs can do without flogging the 2 remaining hookers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I think you missed my point. I'd bring Kelleher, Herring and Stewart.

Bringing both Kelleher and Sheahan is too risky as it stands.

And Earls is definitely going. As is JOB. I'm suggesting a 18:15.

No doubt someone will be injured before the 1/4. Then call up Sheehan IF his recovery is going well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

There are worse ideas than this being talked about very seriously.

it's a worthy risk

Roumania Kellher plays 60 Herring 20

Kelleher worst case scenario injured himself again 48h before Tonga

Herring play 80

Steward has arrived for Kelleher, plays 20 vs South Africa, Herring 60

than Herring or Stewart 60min vs Scotland, Sheehan re-introduced on the bench

AND the most important Sheehan starts and plays as much as possible in final phases

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That Croke Park game was 13 years ago!!

They've beaten us twice in the last 10 years and we've beaten them 12 times.

Scotland are a good team and if you give them space they can do a bit of damage , but both SA and Ireland are teams that simply don't give the opposition space and time on the ball.

Contrast that with the fact that they have beaten France 6 times over the last 13 games between them, because the typical French game plan allows the Scots to run at them , we just don't.

Ehhhh... Time and again? And your go to example is 13 years ago?

The last game in Croke Park comes to mind cause it's the only time in the 6N era they have beaten us outside Murrayfield. They have shown diddly time and again apart from ineptitude when it counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Still can't see past a conventional squad being announced, 9 front rows, 4 locks, 5 back rows, 6 half-backs, 4 centres, 5 back threes.

Depending on the nature of the injury and rehab times, anyone that won't be fit between now and the South Africa match surely shouldn't travel.

OK, point taken, 13 years, ouch, I knew I was old, not that old. Being a Munster fan and remembering Glasgow beating us in a final doesn't help my senile mind either.

Wow, we're 8 in a row against Scotland now, didn't realise it was that much of a winning streak.

• Advertisement

They've shown an ability to beat England and even france over the years. But they can barely buy a win over Ireland even when we're crap.

Advertisement