Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Pedigree Cattle Breed

Options
  • 19-08-2023 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

I'm interested to know what breed of pedigree cattle would people get into nowadays if they were to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭kk.man

• Registered Users Posts: 29,597 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

What breed do you like yourself? Good market atm for angus but that can change

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭farmer2018

I actually have a few Angus myself but temperament a big issue. I am interested to hear other people's views, shorthorns seem to be up and coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Longhorns would be an outside bet. There could be good demand for bulls if the Buitelaar scheme takes off, and they're always popar in the gourmet beef markets in UK as well.

Otherwise maybe traditional Hereford, a lot of the generally available stock are big and relatively hard calving on dairy herds due to commonwealth breeding influences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭older by the day

I have seen shorthorn suckler weanlings and SH bucket fed calves selling here in West cork and they only sold very poor.

If I was a breeder I would stick with the Angus. I had a few salers calves they sold very well. They are getting a bit more popular. My favourite is the Hereford for their temperament. But the Angus are more profitable at the moment I think. What type of farmer would you be selling too?

• Advertisement

Dairy and suckler but more sucklers in my area. Hereford seem a harder seller than the Angus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

the way I see it, every man and his dog has limos and Charolais so if you want to get to the top you need to spend serious money on foundation stock.

that’s why I went for Parthenaise. Good cattle but not that many breeders so you have a chance of breeding the best.

I agree, what's the demand like for parthenesie females and males from home?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Personally I’m not a fan of a shorthorn- their calving difficulty can be high and in some cases crazy high for financial outcome.

They don’t sell well in Ennis mart either.

speckle park seemed to be taking off a bit locally and I am a fan but I see breeders list getting shorter on the website.

I reckon there will be a market in future to heritage or rare breeds. The nitrite/fertiliser and lime and lads looking at organic.

but some prices they are looking for are crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭cosatron

hereford for me but canadian herefords. always have a hereford bull running with the dairy cows, great stock this year at tullamore.

• Advertisement

What you like about Canadian Herefords? I think Herefords are superior cattle but the markets don't reflect that compared Angus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭cosatron

i just like them, they seem to be a more traditional type of hereford compared to that in england and here. Obviously they orginated in hereford and were exported to canada in the 1800's looking at catalogues, they seem to be longer with deeper mid sections

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

I'm a part time farmer with an off farm job so calving difficulty is a big thing for me so I went with Salers - biggest pelvic area of all the breeds. Haven't had an issue calving them to Ch and BB bulls with 10+% calving difficulty. They say docility can be an issue with them so i did my research and bought from pedigree breeders at show and sales having seen their cattle at summer shows. I make it my business to be around my cattle at least every second day so thankfully have had no docility issues. Any replacements are kept based off their Milk and docility, I've no time for chasing cattle around a field!

I know there is big demand for Saler heifers but I hear bulls is a different story? Or do you just breed them commercially?

The saler cattle really impressed me at Tullamore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Good demand from England at the moment.

as for the home market, I can’t comment on females as I haven’t tried to sell any but I’ve had no problem selling bulls but then I have no problem squeezing one of o don’t think he’s right

one mistake that many make no matter what the breed is thinking that just because they are pedigree that all their geese are swans and should get a premium just because they have papers.

Indeed there are plenty of animals not worthy of their papers. Then you have the lads looking to buy a pedigree animal for nothing.....

Too many bargain hunters nowadays from what I see. There is no platform now to sell cattle privately with genuine buyer interest only a bunch of time wasters.

My line when some one is being insulting price wise is, if you don't buy it someone else will. And walk away. No time for time wasters

I find I nearly have to bite my tongue at times some of the chancers that call you to test your patience

There's assholes in every walk of life unfortunately. Had a lad ring a while back willing to pay 1800 for a pedigree bull....was talking to a breeder recently and he sold all his bulls for a minimum of 4k each this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Who2

And from a buyers perspective it’s the same, just because one lad got 4K for his bulls doesn’t leave them all eorth that.

I offered a lad 5k for a bull a couple of years back, he laughed at me and told me he would take nothing less than 7k . He took 5.4 a couple of months later at a show.

Another breeder sold a bull privately for 3.5k then when the buyer came to collect he looked for another 1500. He was told keep the bull so he brought him to one of the shows and he couldn’t even get the 2.2 minimum bid.

I spent weeks driving around the country looking at overpriced scrap. The breed societies need to be monitoring what’s being registered more .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Agree what your saying about the buyer, if a guy is looking for 1800 bull it’s usually for a season to mop up after Ai and will hang or mart the bull, especially an Angus or speckled park, a lot of dairy men don’t want a bull around for the winter. When we sold bulls a young bull at 12/ 14 months at 1800/ 2000 out of the yard to a repeat customer left the most money, the 4k bull at a breed society sale costs a lot out of the price with feed, entering, travel etc. when we were buying a replacement bulls it was always a 12 month old bull who had time to get use to the set up and moving between land on the road. There was one breeder in our area who wanted us all to stay on the one price of 3k for a bull and after a few months it come to light he was selling for 2.5k and taught he was clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

What breed was averaging 4k for all his bulls, you would be surprised the percentage of bulls that are culled for wrong legs, calving problems, etc. the worst thing you can do is sell a wrong bull to a person as the news travels quicker than the internet, one breeder sold a bull that was a zip job as easy calving and was a tractor job to either to pull the calf or pull the cow out for the knackery lorry and ended up having to disperse his herd. Sell honestly and you will have return business.

Well known Angus breeder, sells at home and sales. The lad wanting to pay 1800 aas desperate for a bull. We didn't have any at the time but he said that's what he'd be paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

I'm starting to hedge my bets on breeds at the moment. Always had limousins here and would have a good few repeat customers for bulls and breeding heifers. Wouldn't be at the higher end of the market price wise (€1800/2000 for bulls at 16 to 18 months) but they aren't costing us an arm and a leg to bring to that stage. Most or all are sold out of the yard too with little or no advertising and the usual Sunday callers that follow it. Trying to breed a bit of polled genetics into them at the moment too with varying levels of success. I imagine it will take a few generations for it to take hold but when I do get it sorted it will be one less job for me to do around the place and I am hoping it might make them a little more attractive to farmers who don't want the hassle of dehorning calves. Have a few non-registered cows here too and there is little or no difference in what their offspring are selling for as far as I can see once you take the cost of registration etc. into account.

Bought a couple of polled Herefords 2 years ago and will have a bull to sell in the spring so will see how that goes. Will have to see how he turns out over the winter to put a price on him but what I will say is that the temperament of the Herefords means they are a joy to deal with compared to the Limousin. If they go well I plan to go to around 10 cows and cut back the limousins a bit. Have a heifer too but she will stay in the herd for breeding.

Just after buying a couple of Irish Moils lately too but that is more of a little side project for myself and I am not really expecting huge interest in them from a commercial point of view.t I knew that before I got them though. Again the temperament is good so far. Also they are polled which at the moment for me is really high on the priority of what I will breed. If they go ok I will hang on to them, maybe go to 4 of 5 cows if they are successful but won't be hanging my hat on them I would imagine unless they prove me wrong

All 3 of the above have their own pros and cons from what I can see.

Hereford:

They have great temperament, even after calving, and smaller animal so a bit easier on the land especially this year. Polled.

Donedeal is full of bulls for sale and dairy lads will hang onto the bulls for a good few years if they are quiet and fruitful. Found them a bit harder to catch bulling but started using tail paint to make that job a bit easier.

Limousin:

Plenty of repeat customers available here and know what my breeding is like as they are here with 20 years. Anything that doesn't sell for breeding can easily be sold in the marts albeit with not the same margin.

They can be a small bit mad at times and again the country is full of them but they are a good seller. Dehorning required. Heavy on the ground which is a problem this year.

Moils:

Good temperament, small polled cattle and will keep them on the more marginal areas of the farm and they will hopefully do OK there.

They are a rare breed for a reason I suppose, limited sale for bulls commercially and fear from the buyer that their calves will be worth less than an established breed. They might be a bit more attractive to the small holder type farmer due to their size and ability to survive on marginal areas but not too many of them out their unfortunately.

You're selling yourself short there fir bulls. A crossbreed could be bought at those prices. We'd be the same don't sale at sales etc, low input. Bulls are sold for a minimum of 2500. Plenty of repeat customers

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Maybe that's why we have plenty of repeat customers 😫

• Registered Users Posts: 10,807 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I've pedigree limousins here. It's like a drug, you start with one and then you see a nice heifer at reasonable money and you can't help yourself.

The country is full of pedigrees. I sell bulls off the grass with no meal fed. They get some meal tru the winter, but that's it. I try and keep my costs down. I even hunt for cheap straws. Some people seem to think that if a straw is expensive, then it must be good. I also follow the breeding lines closely. I sell on donedeal but it's like buses, you either get no calls or you get a lot within an hour.

What I've found is most lads buy with their eyes. If the bull looks right, they'll buy. Most couldn't give a damn about figures unless they are in the schemes. I refused offers this year and got 500 euro extra later. I also find bulls improve in looks big time between 12 and say 15 months, once they start to mature. One guy here this year told me that one of my bulls was no good and wouldn't be any good next year either. The next lad here bought him as the pick of the lot. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Also, don't be conned by some of the big name breeders. They puff their own bulls at sales. Was sitting beside a man at a bull sale this year and he said he was in the looking at one particular bull on farm. Breeder wanted 3,800 for the bull at home. When this bull came into the ring, he shot up to 3,750 and yer man refused to sell. Was told by another lad at another sale that this guy's daughter was bidding on his bulls ringside, but I guess that has all gone on line now.

Don't get into pedigree breeding if it's for the money. You'll only stick at it, if you enjoy it. The best breeders I've seen are the ones really passionate about it. They'll stick at it tru thick and thin.

Post edited by patsy_mccabe on

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

There's a good bit of messing going on too with lads bidding up their mates animals at sales. Top prices for animals never heard of again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Similar to other pedigree breeds, there is too many poor pedigree bulls. I wouldn't register a PB bull till they are near a year old, yes I incur fines from the society but it's worth it for a bull I know deserves to be registered. If I have a PB cow who is producing great commercials I've chanced her with a pedigree straw and have been lucky that there are dairy farmers locally who will take PB bulls for 2-3K depending on how they look. Anything not worth registering is fattened and either sold as a weanling at a mart or a 2 yr old factory job

Advertisement