Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish White Privilege......Yeah

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,612 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

it would be funny if the note had said.....like being white, male, protestant

we live in a society where its illegal to discriminate and if someone does and you can prove it you can get a payday. Its just a pity we have to import the foibles of the brits and the yanks

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Not missing any point. The Anglo-Irish do not have the advantages they used to have. And that all changed without any nonsense about white male privilege. In fact, it changed by the removal of the sort of discrimination that simply doesn't exist here now.

So let's not start importing vacuous American nonsense where it's simply not needed. The idea of white privilege or male privilege is really a way for silly people to see the world, as it reduces it down to things - race, sex - that they can understand, and takes the actual complexities that they can't understand out of the discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭crusd

Of course.

Most of what you list are not what are being talked about though. With perhaps the exception of the legal outcomes.

and explain it so that Decco from Clondalkin who grew up in an abusive home will agree that he has it.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

"White male privilege" is composed of nothing, because it's a nonsense concept to begin with. It's an inflammatory invention designed to stoke people against one another.

The reality is that being born white does not confer some special phantom power unavailable to everyone else.

Race is not a predictor of future success in society. Economic status is a far more relevant determinant. Take a look at how many poor people are in this country who are white, or people who are simply just getting by or who perhaps are struggling with bills. Go to their faces and tell them how privileged they are by virtue of the colour of their skin.

The people pushing this nonsense are either liars, grifters or baiters -- most of whom are, ironically, either upper middle class or elitists themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Unflushable Turd

And to stop being a catholic, all they had tI do was turn up at the local Church of Ireland gaff every Sunday. It was and still is, a tad harder to stop being black.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

I'm distraught...how am I to atone for my superior looks and intellect privilege?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Unflushable Turd

When you get dressed in the morning, or to go out in the evening, what consideration do you give to not attracting unwanted attention?

when you go out for an evening, what consideration do you give about getting home safe, like making sure you are never on your own in a cab?

how often do you get your arse pinched, or have someone leading at you in a pub, telling you they would have to be dug out of you? Or calling you a stuck up bitch because you won’t accept a drink from them?

I’m guessing never, because you aren’t female.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

There's amazing defensiveness on display here around the idea that some people have advantages because of their appearances, their socio-economic class, their sexuality etc.

You don't have to feel guilty because you're a man or because you're straight. But it can be a positive thing to realise that there are certain situations (like walking alone on a street at night) where you're in a privileged situation because of who you are, and be mindful that not everyone else experiences life in the same way you do.

It is you guys harping on about "white male privilege" and think it is being applied to all white men in all situations.

Decco from Clondalkin, as another poster identified does not benefit massively from "white male" privilege in Ireland. Fiachra from Dalkey does though.

In everyones life there are advantages and challenges they face. Acknowledging there are certain advantages that accrue to some and not others does not mean that they automatically face no challenges or obstacles in life. Again, two or more things can both be true at the same time. The world is not an either/or.

• Advertisement

What an ignorant comment.

First off, black people in Ireland don't face any of the systemic discrimination that Catholics did in Ireland for centuries.

Secondly, why should people blithely change their culture like that? This was quite a religious time when the concepts of heaven and hell were very much believed in by many, and many people would have believed renouncing your church put you at risk of eternal damnation. We can laugh at that now, but the reality is it's not a factor you can ignore like you did. Plus you've a risk of being ostracised by your community, and of not being accepted by the new community.

And thirdly, they also had to change the language they spoke, from Irish to English. Not something you can do at the drop of a hat like you suggest.

Some people did it of course - but to say "all they had to do" is ignorant in the extreme.

Why doesn't Sorcha from Dalkey have the same advantages as Fiachra though? Or what about Harpal, whose dad came over from India on the back of a plum IT job, and became equally wealthy?

This is where I think your idea of white male privilege is a lazy way of trying to understand the world - reducing things to observable facets of a person's appearance (race, sec, etc) because the real complexities of life are actually quite tricky. Certainly far more complex than you're making out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,054 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's funny how many people in this thread don't understand the difference between 'can be' and 'is'.

giving an *example* that white people can benefit from privilege is not a statement that all white people are more privileged than black people all the time.

the example given was clearly a case of 'if you enjoy a privileged position, it is a good thing to be aware of that'. but it seems no formulation of how that can be phrased will be OK for some people.

not in the round though in this realm, more men are violently attacked and more killed, the 4 English tourists and the American one just recently were all men for example.

I'm a man and I have no idea at all what the last line there is referring to?

And rather than it being conceited to think that men don't stop to consider their privilege in many social situations, I think it is extremely naive to think otherwise.

Yes, you're getting it now. What's the problem with acknowledging those things?

My idea or white male privilege? I think you need to read the thread again. The people continually talking about white male privilege continually are yourself and your fellow travellers. I have given many examples of privilege almost none of which are based on skin tone or gender.

The document that sparked this whole rabbit hole said the below in its only reference to "privilege"

Allyship involves recognising and using one’s privileged status (for example as white or male or Irish person) to support individuals from minority identity groups.

It does not say White Male Irish Privilege, but is just a definition of allyship. That is all. It uses white or male or Irish as an example. It is not limited to these. Someone elses could chose their privilege as being their parents decision to immigrate to Ireland, their socio-economic background or a myriad of others.

And once again, the above sentence is the only reference in a 20 page consultation document to "privilege". Anyone reading the thread would believe it was a full course on white male privilege.

Where is is applied in the document is:

Ways to advocate for and create greater equity and inclusion 3.5 consider the skills needed to stand up for themselves and others, and the range of situations where this might arise 3.6 demonstrate allyship skills to challenge unfair or abusive behaviours and support greater equity and inclusion.

That is all. Yet here ye all are, losing your sh*t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭NSAman

If you acknowledge those things constantly, you are making apologies for something ALL the time. When do you actually “be yourself”? Comparing yourself to others, apologising for who you are and what you are, through no fault of your own, is a fools way to live.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,054 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

same thing for every variable? in a short example in a glossary?

as i said

the example given was clearly a case of 'if you enjoy a privileged position, it is a good thing to be aware of that'. but it seems no formulation of how that can be phrased will be OK for some people.

Q.E.F'ing.D.

It's fairly suggestive that the only examples it uses are "white", "male", "Irish" though, isn't it?

Would you not think there'd be a bit of an attempt at diversity in there? But it's never black, female, Muslim privilege.

So it stands to reason that of course the discussion is going to be on white male Irish privilege - after all, those are the words in the document. Precedent would show it's highly unlikely to go down the lines of my second paragraph, don't you think?

And then of course we have the obligatory reference to outrage/losing your ****/taking offence which hasn't been happening and is thrown in purely to try dismiss a point's relevance without addressing it.

• Advertisement

Nobody is talking about making apologies, apart from the cohort in this thread who are arguing against the idea of privilege. Just being aware of it is a positive thing, in my view.

I'm not apologising for being a white man. I do understand that, in my daily life in the city I live in, it makes many aspects of my life much easier.

So move to Africa, see if your other countrymen/women/they/them, recognise their privilege? It’s a purely western BS construct.

in an irish context, where the majority of the audience will be white irish, are you suggesting that listing being black or being muslim as an example of being privileged would be sensible?

WInd and piss artists.

i'll email the NCCA with a suggestion that they change the offending text to this.

Allyship

involves recognising and using one’s privileged status (for example as white or black or asian or hispanic or mixed race or male or female or non-binary or Irish person or english or european or african or asian or catholic or protestant or hindu or muslim or atheist or none of the above) to support individuals from minority identity groups.

This doesn't sound like an argument against the concept.

But anyway, do I think it would be nice if people were sympathetic towards me being a white man if I was in a place where I was in a position of relative disadvantage? Yes.

You think the subject is designed for only white Irish males?

Once again the only reference is in the context of:

Ways to advocate for and create greater equity and inclusion 3.5 consider the skills needed to stand up for themselves and others, and the range of situations where this might arise 3.6 demonstrate allyship skills to challenge unfair or abusive behaviours and support greater equity and inclusion.

It is outlining that this is something that everyone doing the subject should consider when reflecting on themselves? Why do you believe it only applies to white male Irish? It can only be a desire to be permanently outraged or an inability to self reflect really.

We’ll try it at some stage, report back to us about how disadvantaged you were and what the privileged did for you.

What's your point?

That some other people wouldn't be kind to you, so you couldn't be bothered even engaging with the idea that you should? Or that children in school shouldn't be encouraged to think about it?

• Advertisement

Its the whole extreme moral relativism mindset that infects discourse these days and sets up the idea the "X isn't perfect therefore Y is OK". In this thread specifically it is reflected in the opinion the certain people have no need to consider that the may have experienced advantages relative to other people, because other people might not do the same.

Advertisement