Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I simply don't think podcasting would work for Tubs, for a few reasons.

1) it's still a niche market, and very few people actually make a living solely out of it

2) Tubs' target audience aren't of the demographic to be podcasting.

3) You have to be mega popular to even have a chance of having enough of your potential fan base to want to listen to it. And fundamentally I don't think Tubs is as popular as he or his fans think he is. Perfect example was his last LLS. He announced that he wanted to make it all about local talent and his 'friends', when in essence he had to say this cos so few people couldn't be arsed to appear on it cos he's simply not a likeable character. It was an embarrassment of a leaving do.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭toggle toes

Could be the perfect move for RT away from all the controversy. Who knows he could end up on one of the main UK TV channels. As we all know there are hundreds of channels in the UK so chances are more than one offer will be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Ah go on, go on. Take up the offer. Might be the best to be got.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭RoTelly

You should read that book, it is bizarre.

The 3 producers effectively defend RTÉ and the criticism towards its output of the 1960s and suggest that the audience just didn't understand how difficult it was in a small country to get talent (a continued thread for RTÉ over the last 60 years).

In fairness it does also tell the story of the political pressures for RTÉ at the time and also the commercial pressures.

At times they defend and criticize both management and producers.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭gifted

QVC channel might be looking for someone to promote a steam cleaner or a blender 😁😁😁

• Advertisement

He could end up presenting a military based quiz show called Skirmish, on TV channel UK Conquest.

He would not fit in with GB NEWS, maybe he could get a job working for JOE.ie!

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Exactly. Imagine a recognized broadcaster of some skill like the late Gerry Ryan. Aside from a one on one interview format like his Ryan Confidential tv show, what could he have done in podcasting? He was never going to do a current affairs show, or riff on the hot topics of the day. Who amongst Gerry's radio fanbase were going to seek that out and possibly pay for it?

So with that in mind, what the hell could Tubridy do? His big fan on this thread says he could interview Hillary Clinton, Bono, etc. To be blunt, they agreed to be interviewed on the LLS show because it was RTE's flagship show. Big viewing figures and reach. If Tubridy was to start a pod and go to Hillary Clinton's staff asking for an interview with his couple of thousand subscribers, I think the answer would be, No thanks, in all honesty.

Even let him get Russell Crowe and Clinton, Micheal D and a few others, where does he go from there. Back to interviewing Irish C/D listers that made up the bulk of the LLS guest list, that's where. Bannon, the Brennans, Maia Dunphy, Vogue, Mario Rosentock might dig him out.

God help us, who would subscribe to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Who is Michael O Regan on Twitter? Seems he’s a massive fan of Tubs. He tweets a letter penned by John Brennan slamming Kevin Bakhurst and vehemently defending Tubridy. So my next question is, who is John Brennan? Who the fook are these people!?

The foul stench of self importance emanating from these nobodies is quite powerful. These are the types that got little old Ryan into such a predicament in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

To be honest, of all the "Special Chosen Few" who appeared continuously on Tubridy's LLS, the Brennan's weren't the worst. But the fact remains, they got shedloads of publicity for their hotels, tv shows, books etc on RTE so it stands to reason that they would be annoyed that one of their chief promoters on the national broadcaster has gotten the boot. I have a feeling Patrick Kielty will want to shake things up a bit rather than having more chats with Francis Brennan about his latest venture.

This thing with the Brennan's highlights how much of a cosy little club the LLS show became over the last decade. A list of "safe" guests who were in Tub's comfort zone and given repeated opportunities to flog their wares on the national broadcaster. And another explicit example of people using their RTE profiles to openly promote their own private businesses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭plastic glass

The crazy thing is that I was listening to the radio last week and Sheehan was on. It was around the time that it looked like tubs was gonna be back. And I thought Sheehan was raising a few questions on whether this should happen. I remember thinking to myself “well at least someone in the media is questioning this”

obviously he was only doing it to tee up a story as a counter article when it would have been announced. We all know what happened then, tubs crapped the bed and now Sheehan seems to have totally done a 180

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

You need to calm down. You can literally smell the rage off your posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭hawley

He was a political correspondent for the Irish Times. Obviously knows all the same set as Tubs in Dublin. You can take what these people say with a pinch of salt. There's nearly always some agenda at work. All the people defending him, seem to have forgotten how he lied about his salary to the public for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,350 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

He wouldn't be out of place in Joe.ie given the endless publicity they gave to the LLS over the last number of years....

(For the record that Joe website went to absolute sh1te many years ago but they have a handy feature of what good movies are on on any particular night, so that's what always brought me back to the site...)

It started off with Joe just bigging up the Late Late Show with loads and fcuking loads of stories about the 'mad banter' and 'craic galore' being had on the LLS each week, to them then running an article every Friday about who was on the LLS that evening. It was clearly obvious that it was all paid for promotion by RTÉ, and as it began to look more and more obvious, they then started doing the "whats on the LLS vs Graham Norton" comparison, but each LLS guest would have a paragraph written about them and why they were coming on (or what RTÉ show they were on promoting), and when it came to who was on Graham Norton that night (where it was usually some of the biggest names in music/Holywood), they were simply named on a bullet point list.....

Either Joe.ie was full of sad weirdo's who genuinely loved the LLS and thought Tubbers was God, or they were simply running paid articles paid for by either RTÉ or Mr. Big himself Noel Kelly.... either way it was all so very obvious and cringe, it was worth a few minutes every Friday morning to see how far it'd all sunk...

• Registered Users Posts: 60,640 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Noel Kelly cashing in favours or offering future favours to others to get people to talk positively about Tubridy now

It’s still all a PR game.

RTÉ were considering buy a share in Joe at one stage. I am surprised it is still going, it seems to now have a UK version. I often wonder how well it is doing.

______

Yesterday

And rather strangely, it appears local papers would have similar articles.

Always noticed a local media website in the Derry area would have the "Late Late Show guests revealed" story every Wednesday or Thursday. As if it was important to the Derry population who was on the LLS every week. Then again, it would appear it was an article put into the public domain for free use, and sure local websites always like cheap, or free, filler content.

On a side note, Used to always laugh at the use of the word REVEALED, as if they were some sort of exciting announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,024 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Interesting even Mike Murphy from RTÉ has done podcasting in the last few years- I must search for it as I haven’t really listened much to podcasts- I’d doubt he made much money out of it and was likely more a Labour of love or something to do throughout lockdown

Apparently he approached RTÉ but they weren’t interested which is quite the shame as he’s still a very popular person and fondly remembered by those over a certain age

• Registered Users Posts: 6,024 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Eileen Dunne’s in favour of a Tubridy comeback

No doubt Ryan will be heading to the Kennedy Summer School next year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Good ol John Brennan defending Tubs. Francis and John have done very well out of RTE over the years. The Brennan's recently declared they were stepping back from TV etc iirc and feel free to comment

Francis in particular got many shows on RTE from the hotel thing to traipsing around various places shouting at people and generally being a control freak and being ultra annoying - RTE just kept giving him shows for some unknown reason (he says knowingly)

Little announcement about his appearance on NK CB Live

Oh look...there he is now plugging a wee car - we've seen a bit of that sort of craic recently

It still remains a mystery why the Brennan lad would defend Tubridy alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

An incestuous bunch of parasites.

As long as they fool at least one eejit, they'll keep at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭tom23

Very simple they are all friends. You scratch my celebrity back and I’ll scratch yours. Like everything in Ireland there is a divide as to those that ‘have a **** load off’ and those that have just enough. The celebrity friends are all ganging together to support a fallen ‘one of the goys’ Good for them.

Regardless of what’s happened here, and if Tubridy makes it back to RTE or not, their (his) pay ceilings have significantly been lowered. So no one agency can have a monopoly like there was.

The gravy train has ran out of gravy. So hopefully the talent folk will work harder at their ‘craft’ and learn to respect that the public purse is not there to pay for their name.

Bakhurst either by design or chance has busted the whole operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

Whatever about the protagonists and their arguments, there was a depth and integrity to their debate which we have lost. Public debate has sunk in recent decades to mere personality politics.

Tubs is a chancer! No, he’s lovely! Boo!!

Trump is a criminal! No, Biden is the crook!

And just to confuse matters, the Taoiseach and Tánaiste do a switcheroo!

We had a heavyweight Commission on the Future of the Media which produced a door-stopper report just before this latest scandal erupted. No one took a blind bit of notice (except when the ex-editor of the Guardian was pushed overboard for something completely unrelated).

Here’s my summary of what the report should have said (no more distorted than Fintan’s version of the 1969 book)

RTE is a competent news and sports broadcaster whose current affairs programming is generally mediocre but sometimes causes a furore. When the Celtic Tiger was roaring, the bosses and the “stars” took the opportunity to line their pockets and have struggled for over a decade to retain these gains.

RTE is useless at anything cultural, especially drama. Few if any artists of any international significance owe their career to RTÉ. The only RTÉ cultural production which made an international impact was Riverdance but that was pure chance - RTÉ bosses hated Eurovision and gave away Riverdance. Other European public broadcasters are worse, except of course for the BBC once upon a time.

Nobody knows what is “Irish” anymore so we can’t imagine what, other than news and sport, an Irish national broadcaster should do when we all have Netflix, Sky, Disney+, ….

So that’s the story of public broadcasting in Ireland. Now back to the soap opera.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,488 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

John Brennan is the business savvy hotelier brother from Kerry, Francis is the camp brother that was everywhere on RTE and has stuff in Dunnes Stores, think they are selling their Kenmare hotel(s), Francis maybe a NKM client

I'm surprised by John tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 51,921 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It's a desperate attempt to get Bakhurst to do a U-turn. Tubs must be getting desperate now that he has been separated from the trough.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The GB News thing is obviously wind up.

GB News barely registers any viewers in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

If podcasts won't work for him, and I have to be honest and say I've never listened one, don't have the patience, and he's not being thought of as a great interviewer, hand up again, have never seen him in action, then why doesn't he get a job he can actually do?

He doesn't strike me as a terribly able guy at anything reading all the comments.

I understand some people are 'fans' but lots were fans of gay Byrne etc and when their time ended fans moved on.

No one is irreplaceable. Rte dig themselves in with Kelly and his 'talent'. Viewers are fed the same faces on shows with differing formats just to keep these people in jobs presumably through N Kelly's tough negotiations.

I'll say it again, I'm glad my telly doesn't get rte😁

• Registered Users Posts: 16,478 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

A brief scan of their schedules doesn't show anyone I'm familiar with who does anything comparable to Tubridy's schtick. Unless they're trying to branch off in a different direction or appeal to the Irish community in Britain or do something else leftfield I can't see how he would fit in there, even if he genuinely was the 21st-century Terry Wogan...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,485 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

This clown had a good thing going with Tubridy...saw the gravy train and free publicity draining off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,596 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Licence fee income now down €5.1million since this all kicked off. I don't see it stabilising any time soon, they are far too late with the solutions they should have made months back.

In total, TV licence revenue is down nearly €5.1m since the broadcaster has been engulfed in controversy over secret payments to presenter Ryan Tubridy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement