Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new replacement sim with 48

Options
  • 05-05-2023 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭

has anybody tried out the new replacement sim with the 48 network abroad?

does the roaming work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Yes works now on my partners phone in northern Ireland anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Hopefully they'll work. The workaround is so complicated and doesn't work half the time. My daughter was on a TY trip to Italy a few weeks ago and couldn't get hers t work.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

I got the replacement sim for my daughter but have not been abroad yet. I do notice that on her iphone, the option for hotspot has been removed. The icon is now greyed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I got a replacement SIM. Worked in first country, didn't work in 2nd country. Both EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭sligopaul

new SIM did not work for me and the work around is v convoluted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭thebourke

im going to sweden next month..so will provide feedback if it works over there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭gipi

Didn't work for me in Northern Ireland

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I got the new SIM an it worked fine in Spain. Great to have access to 4G while abroad again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kingfisher57

New SIM was a complete failure in Italy last week

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kingfisher57

To clarify above internet data not available despite repeated input of the APN detailed on 48 website.

Could only get bot assistance which was useless.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Just a wee update on my post, Was in NI on friday and my partners phone failed to work on data...Tried everything in settings but nothing...In regards to phone call she could call me but it had to be begin with 003538....So not at all fixed from 48.

Now the last time where where down dataworked I believe when we where down so not sure what went wrong since....At least calls kinda work.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Is this new sim to avoid the rigmarole of the sim toolkit shíte when roaming?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Yes. I got them for myself and the family.

First one went away last week and worked without intervention.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Judging on the posts on here it’s hit and miss as to whether a replacement works while away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Will the old one work in Spain? Heading there in a few weeks and don't fancy the repercussions of a teenager with no internet access!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 MobileTester

I am in Spain now and this is what I am getting now. Movistar 5G on 2600 MHz. Very fast. Sometimes it drops to 4G/4G+ only.

48 also logs in to Vodafone ES but then 4G only so I manualy forced my phone to Movistar.

I ordered new sim before my trip and using it now however I had to manualy add APN for 206 01 provider

My sim worked perfectly at first in Italy but when my allowance ran out and I bought an add on I couldn't get it to work not matter what steps I followed! Very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭thebourke

I don't understand why it doesn't work like other mobile networks....who owns 48?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 MobileTester

All MVNOs work the same way

BTW, 48 works perfect now in the EU in 4G

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 fudgequeen

keep away from 48 they stole 30 euro from my credit card , 2 months later still not returned it, also doe snot work abroad or uk tried 48 instructions numerous times and does not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Hi folks, I’ve an iPhone 11 with one of the new 48 sims and I’m wondering can I hotspot off the phone?

I don’t see the option which is strange as I used to be able to with three network on the same phone?

Im hoping to hotspot abroad for a fire stick.

Actually just figured this out:

1.Select Settings

2.Select Mobile Data and Mobile Data Options

3.Select Mobile Data Network

4.Scroll to MOBILE DATA

5. Scroll to Personal Hotspot and enter APN 48months.liffeytelecom.com

6.Press the Back button to complete

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

T

I'm back. They are a fecking disaster. Same crap as before, had to go through the hassle of imputting the APN liffeytelecom and whatever, then what got home, had to delete it again.

Ignore everything they say, they are a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Irish Kev

New sim worked automatically in kids iphone in Spain end of July. 2 older sim's needed the sim application trick. 5G was showing up on Iphone 12/13 on these

New sim did not work in June in samsung for mother

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Shane119

I'm heading to Italy as well in the next few days. I've been with 48 for a few years and I've never been able to use it abroad. Can anyone recommend an e-sim for Italy?

Folks I’m on to 48 now and they are telling me Ireland is not in theEU circle and hence I have to top up extra above my monthly automated payment to ring Spain from Ireland.

Is this correct?

You only get free National calls included in your membership so yes they are correct. You need to have credit on your account to call internationally.

Yeah pretty annoying. I wish theyd just said that as opposed to saying some craic about Ireland not being in the “EU CIRCLE”

• Advertisement

Never heard of that term before but it's standard on all networks to only offer unlimited national calls and texts. Various plans would have some international mins/texts added in but not unlimited. Like with any deal, it always helps to read the terms and conditions before committing to make sure it's suitable.

Advertisement