Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Road Racing 2023

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Very fast start to the race, so much so that it was hard for anything to get away in the first two laps. Good few familiar faces from Boards in the bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

Good hard race yesterday, I thought going into it I would have preferred an extra lap, but the legs were barely able for the 3 laps as it turns out.

Re the Crit champs tomorrow, I assume it's in Mondello? I don't see a location other than Kildare specifically mentioned on either CI or Eventmaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

WN40

1. Suzanne White (Sorrento CC)

2. Breda Murphy (Marple City Cyclers)

3. Josephine Lynch (Orwell Wheelers)

WN50

1. Orla Hendron (Orwell Wheelers)

2. Anne Keohane (DeRonde Van Cork CC)

3. Helen White (Stamullen RC)

Men 40

1. Paul Kennedy (Burren CC)

2. Thomas Quaid (Foran CC)

3. Aidan Connell ( Dungarvan CC)

- Team Winners Neary CC

Men 50

1. Craig Sweetman (Stamullen RC)

2. Shaun Carey (Ballymena RC)

3. Vincent Gleeson (Greenmount CA)

- Team Winners Kilcullen

Men 60

1. Lionel Hart (IVCA)

2. Michael Cusack (Westport Covey Wheelers)

3. John Shortt (Bikefit Studios)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,728 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Charleville on the cards for anyone?

I see Foran are sending a team again - surely those lads are beyond A2 now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Only 45 signed up last I seen, a good workout if nothing else.

45 is all? Christ above we’ll be killed.

Where did you see that?

It was yesterday so there may have been a few late sign ups, I was almost tempted, to be able to say I got top 20 and then realised who had probably signed up and decided to stay on holiday.

Probably should follow your lead given my previous form there.

45 is very low & while entries are open until the 25th it’s unlikely to exceed 70 I think.

• Advertisement

Boo boo though I’ll hardly be in contention anyway. One plus is more room to hide on day two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Enjoyed yesterday except for the fact i got nothing but sore legs from it :P

Tried to get away or bridge across a good few times and knew my day was done when on the last lap id fairly put myself in a hole again and needed 5mins of calm when i saw Kennedy being motor paced by a team mate to jump out and get to the break! Feckin' raging as he was on inside and I was on the outside of bunch and i was drifting back. Knew that was his move, not that id have done much anyway! Was in his wheel a few times when trying to get away in the earlier laps and it was torture! He definitely deserved it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Bambaata

See you again in Charleville @dahat :)

Plenty horsepower in those legs on lap 2 - wasn’t strong enough to hold your wheel.

Enjoyed the day for sure & we go again next week.

International riders for events like C2D that are limited to A2/A3 riders, how are these riders graded when entering irish races?

From last years results no CI points were awarded to riders not registered with CI so riders who met the threshold for upgrade will still be eligible for same race?

Don't quote me on this but as far as I know there's some effort made to roughly match grades between countries if someone is coming from abroad. However, I'd imagine that no federation attempts to apply points for results abroad for anything below UCI-ranked races because of the administrative overhead involved in verifying those results and trying to establish what weighting they should be given in relation to results at home.

If I get 20 pts in two weeks I will be upgraded to A1 here but if an international rider does but remains the same cat in his home federation he can continue to ride A2 here as is.

Ridiculous.

What are the odds though that their Irish results are the only results they get in a year? You'd imagine that if they're good enough to get a result here, they're bound to be picking up points in their home country too.

What's the issue here? You're worried that international riders who did well in Charleville last year will be able to sign on again as A3s or A2s?

My issue is eligibility criteria for international riders. It’s unclear how one can qualify when they cannot be assigned pts for upgrade when riding Irish races.

When this is within races like the RAS then it’s not an issue but limited entry to A2/3 it is vey relevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭joey100

I think part of this may be leading to the low turn out of riders. The Foran lads are some of the same lads who do well in ras mumhan and the ras. Pretty sure Finn Crockett who won Charleville 2 years ago went on to place really well in both of them. I've raced them and they are well above A2 level. I know few riders who aren't going down cos there is no chance of a decent result against them lads. There's very few races where a2's get to race each other, this was one of the few, where you might get some points and places, but the Foran lads will just clean up.

Far more to the point than I was!

Most of that team should not eligible to ride this year and Don Jackson who won last year overall cannot be classed an an A2 rider this year on Irish shores.

Irish lads are on a hiding to nothing racing each year against effectively A1 riders incorrectly graded on these shores.

I'm assuming they "qualify" on the basis of what licence they hold with their home federation. So if they're first cat in their home country, they probably shouldn't be let into a second/third cat race here. But you can verify that with the organisers or Cycling Ireland. But if they hold the equivalent of a second or third cat licence, I don't know why they shouldn't be let in.

Yes I agree with you generally but it’s a small team & if the riders we know ride this year despite amassing pts from last year and within Ras plus Ras Muham (spelling) in 23 beyond the CI threshold of 20pts which cannot be assigned to them how are they eligible?

If it's a British team, it should be easy enough to check what category each guy is on the British Cycling website. If any are first cat, I'd raise it with the organisers.

If you want international riders to get grading points in their home countries for Irish results, I reckon it's not workable. Way too much overhead given the relatively small numbers who travel to race at this level.

First Cat riders cannot enter or riders who have raced here as an A1.

While I understand the admin point against the small numbers it does leave the event open to being a “soft touch” for international riders.

I have raised it with the organiser via whats app but not expecting anything clear or decisive from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭elchupanebrey

It shouldn't be hard for CI to retain a record of what points individuals from overseas have earned in Ireland, and treat them as A1 if they've passed the threshold here over the course of a year or 2

There is no record - look back on results from any race.

M40 nationals - second placed rider not listed on CI but yet gets a National medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 spudpicker2022

Yep, very hard for A2/3 riders to get results against a team of effectively A1's!!! A3's, in particular, are better off going to Lucan and/or Emyvale that weekend IMO

I agree with your point regarding CI points for international riders, it doesn't make sense that they are eligible if they are above the upgrade threshold. This needs to be managed in a better way for sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭elchupanebrey

That's pretty much my point. Why don't CI keep a record of points earnedin Ireland, and promote as necessary.

Charleville was a great spot to get points and promotion, it'll go to the wall if A2/3's don't see themselves getting anything from it

Advertisement