Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Times Biodiversity Crusade

Options
  • 22-08-2023 2:23pm

Has anyone noticed the relentless pushing of articles by the editors of the Irish Times where biodiversity is to the fore? The attacks on farmers and foresters by opinion writers by writers like O'Toole, Mullally and McSweeney are growing and are unchallenged as the editorial policy is clearly to support the current Green Party agenda.

Shame to see such uninformed and unbalanced reporting. Clearly the paper of the middle class mummies and latte drinkers. Mustn't upset that demographic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Is there an argument against biodiversity? Does anyone think that reducing the number of plant and animal species in the wild is actually a beneficial course of action?

Its not just the Irish Times. Every news source in the country now features some kind of Climate/Environment section

Its almost like as if its an important topic that readers are interested in

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,640 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what do you mean by unbalanced reporting? you mean they should be publishing counter-articles stating that ireland is biodiverse enough, or even too biodiverse?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Well, the Irish times has plenty of articles and advertising promoting rampant crazed ecosystems destroying consumerism to be fair.

It's like "can I plant a tree to offset my families carbon footprint on a holiday in goa in november". No, you ******* can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,355 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Biodiversity is an attack on rural Ireland by the South County Dublin elites in their West Cork holiday homes they visit once a year

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,640 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this thread probably is not going the way the OP hoped.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Not a balanced OP for demanding of balanced takes tbh. What's the problem with biodiversity and how is it an attack on farmers and foresters? Without bemoaning mummies and lattes please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,867 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Straight to the well-poisoning. Always a red flag, that.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

What way would that be?

I wonder how many of oy just eat what you are given. Mullally for example is incorrect in much of what she reports and the IT refuses to entertain opinions critical of their reporting.

Urban folk at play as usual. I'd better don the flat cap and hang over the half-door for when you pass by.

yes, the irish times is my bible and una mullally can write no wrong. all hail the old lady of d'olier street!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Any specifics at all? I'm in favour of increasing biodiversity tbh. Don't see why you wouldn't be. Farming and increased biodiversity and habitat promotion/should go hand in hand imo. Btw I'm a part time farmer from Tipperary so go away with this urban rural divide shite. This year I'm proud to say we replanted hedges that my Dad ripped out in the 80s. BTW, it's hugely ignorant to be trotting out the "Green Party agenda "shite. Practically all our environmental committments were signed by FF, FG and Labour. Not having a go at you personally but sick of seeing debates poisoned by ignorance and lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭nachouser

Those "Just Stop Biodiversity" lads are the feckin' worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

The IT is never reluctant to publish letters disagreeing with, or admonishing, their opinion pieces. Put a coherent letter together pointing out the bias, why it is incorrect, or misrepresentative, and it would be published for balance. I've done it many times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

If you read the Irish Times you deserve to be misinformed. The purpose of media is to control public discourse. Irish people do love being told what to think tho, there is that! And we hate hearing alternate views....that really gets us angry!

is that what 'woke' is? are you 'woke' because you know not to trust the media, so you make up your own opinions, unpolluted by mere information?

Wake up sheeple!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Haha ha...right...woke has nothing to do with it, the Irish Times has been a pro government rag for decades!!! It doesn't take a genius to know that fear and shame are tools used to control people.....but of course, us Irish love it...trust in media is plummeting around the world but I'm willing to bet we are the outlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Intensive agriculture and monoculture forestry being terrible for nature, they're not wrong.

Also terrible for nature; manicured gardens and lawns, pesticides, proprietary poisons intended for vermin, golf courses, acres of tarmac and concrete. Pollution; incl domestic and industrial. So having a swipe at everyone here, not just farmers!

people should switch their residential plots over to permaculture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

LED street lighting, coastal conurbations, motorways, foreign travel, wine, diverse and/or niche diets. All bad for biodiversity, most are good for the life and style section in IT

• Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭Shoog

Ireland has an export driven agriculture so increasing biodiversity would have zero effect on Irelands ability to feed itself. It may cost more to finance, but then again ecosystem services such as flood reduction, increased air quality and increased water quality would probably offset any costs to the country overall.

Unfortunately in the good old days biodiversity (trees and such) were seen by farmers as the enemy to be destroyed and that is why we are in such a dire state at the moment. The balance has to be redressed and we have to start to value biodiversity as much as we value exported beef and dairy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭conorhal

Ireland's mostly small acreage rural farming practices with many a hedgerow and stone wall, often with knot of trees on a 'fairy fort' or the corners of a field, are a strong promotion of biodiversity in a way that the massive grid square fields of uniform crops that often characterise intensive farming elsewhere do not.

If the IT want to promote biodiversity they should take a bigger swing at Coillte, who, when they're not trying to sell half of Ireland to a vulture fund are blighting the landscape with non-native Sitka spruce trees that poison the earth and turn the land and bogs they are planted on into dead zones, because feck all can live in those forrests. Our 'national forestation policy' is actually driven by pure greed rather than a concern for the environment. We have only 1% of the country covered in native forest as a result.

Of course, tackling big businesses, that cause the majority of environmental harm, is not in the nature of our quisling government, not when there’s a little guy they can tax, regulate and bother.

"not as intensive as grain operations on former prairies" is not the same as "a strong promotion of biodiversity".

in the same way that 'not as bad' is not the same as 'good'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭randd1

What amazes me about so many of these articles is how often the writer comes form an rea of the country where they're likely never have set foot on a farm and have no clue how the food they eat got on their table, or ever went near a forestry.

The same writers will then next week tell you all about their trips to New York for such an event, their foreign holidays, a festival they've been to, what foods to eat (usually the imported cash crop or fad healthy fruit/veg of the month varieties) and how need more housing than ever while not ruining "the character" of the the inner cities with high rise apartments despite in my cases the dilapidated nature of said area.

In other words, stuff you should do that won't apply to me.

can you give any examples of someone writing such an article and then the following week telling us about their trip to NY, etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...id love to know why the op is continually reading such, if it leads to such disgust, thats a bit weird!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,795 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Are not most of the farmers' and foresters' wives/ partners " middle class mummies and latte drinkers" ?

Advertisement