Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2023 RWC Buildup, Squads, Fixtures 'etc'

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It's weird how unclear this rule is. Where is the official ruling on it written?

I find it hard to believe teams have voluntarily submitted their lists a month earlier, can't change them, have players from the list suspended and have to travel with fewer than 33 players for no apparent benefit to themselves.

For all the talk of Irish players losing power in their foot, Vunipola should be dropped for losing power full stop.

He's obviously leaner but he somehow seems less fit, England missed him to the extent that they had one less player, but he'd had little impact on the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Tinter Box

Don’t see the SA v NZ game listed on any tv channels.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Full listing here - All games on either RTE or Virgin - Virgin seem to be carrying all the "lesser" games and the high profiles ones are split between them.

France vs New Zealand is on RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭Hoop66

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Tinter Box

Ah can manually tune that in on Friday then. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

I can't imagine the submission is final until the deadline. No team in their right mind would submit it before their final warm up game otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,691 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I presume all the Irish games will be on RTÉ?

(I can't stand the RTÉ commentator... he is beyond brutal)

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭MaddChris

Sky Sports Mix - Fri Aug 25th 7:25pm

Can't see the game on ITV 1/2/3/4 mentioned anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭MaddChris

ITV will have every game split across ITV1(38 games) and ITV4(10 games)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Tonga and SA on RTE. Romania and Scotland on VM. Potential Irish QF on VM. Potential Irish SF on RTE. Both showing the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,691 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Ref Watch:

Ireland v Romania - Nika Amashukeli (Georgia)

Ireland v Tonga - Wayne Barnes (England)

Ireland v South Africa - Ben O'Keefe (New Zealand)

Ireland v Scotland - Nic Berry (Australia)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Many would say the earth is flat, doesn’t mean they’re not idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

The thing about someone coming on and posting like that - it's absolutely meaningless while being win win in their minds at the same time. If it turns out that Ireland go out at a group/QF stage - entirely possible given how things have worked out - then they can crow around saying they were right and Ireland are bottlers/**** etc which has nothing to do with reality mind you. If we do get to a SF, they won't be back and don't really care anyway. So what.

It's just so pointless, best to just move on and ignore them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭standardg60

Two SH refs for our two big games is not what I wanted to see, esp SA. But at least it's not that idiot from Saturday with his ridiculous scrum calls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Hearing 4 weeks for Owen. But not confirmed yet.

edit: seems confirmed

https://www.englandrugby.com/news/article/rwc23-summer-nations-series-owen-farrell-disciplinary-update

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Yeah , confirmed with the Ireland game counting as the 1st game of the 4 so he'll miss the Argentina and Japan group games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭ersatz

Yeah, he's gone for Argentina and Japan. England will feel like its a big blow but honestly ten is not where their vulnerabilities are.

Less than it should have been, more than cynical me expected, better than nothing though.

To be honest , the players aren't really the weakness - It's 80%+ the game plan.

Doesn't matter who's on the pitch if they continue to follow the turgid game plan that Borthwick is implementing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Owen Farrell's ban was for 6 games, but was mitigated to 4 when they considered his 'acceptance of foul play', 'good character' and 'clear demonstration of remorse.'

Does Farrell actually have all of those in these circumstances? He doesn't have good character as he has multiple bans for the same sort of tackle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

2 weeks in 2018

5 weeks in 2020

4 weeks - 1week for tackle school in 2023

4 weeks in 2023

All for the same offence.

Are we confident that this won't happen again ?.

4 is fair imo, tackle was more a reflection of his frustration with his own performance and the game plan forced on the players by the coach. But it's still a serious indictment of the current system of choosing the original disciplinary panel all from the same country, which should change immediately.

If Borthwick has any sense now, and I'm not sure, it should be Ford at 10 and Smith at 15. Steward should be tried at 12, he's clearly a liability at FB as everyone can see, as the Irish did, that he turns slower than the Titanic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Three match ban for a repeat offender who lawyered up rather than taking responsibility for yet another shoulder charge into the head. An absolute cop out. World Rugby should appeal again, to be honest.

tackle was more a reflection of his frustration with his own performance and the game plan forced on the players by the coach.

Sorry but no. No reflection of his character off the field, but he has a long history of this kind of tackle - it's a reflection of his tackling ability and attitude toward tackling and potentially injuring fellow players on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

Strongly disagree that this mitigates. Farrell has been a world class player for long enough to know that he sets an example to the teams he leads.

How can any coach, at club or national level, maintain faith with a player who cannot maintain professional discipline under pressure ?.

His profile ensures his example is noted and copied by not only his peers but also by younger players. His continuing history of foul play where opponents are endangered make a mockery of professional rugby's efforts to improve player welfare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭boetstark

Sorry but you know nothing about them as people and its very unfair to make such comments.

The Boks come first and everything else including players a distant second , and rightly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,327 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The tackle was a reflection of Owen Farrell being a consistently shyt and dangerous tackler and of his failure and the failure of coaches to address it, over a few years now. Nothing else

Personally I think 4 is probably fair, but with his awful record he can count himself lucky it wasn't 8, or 12.

The process most certainly needs fixing. For consistency, the disciplinary should be set up like a High Court, maybe 20 people on a panel, with 3 or 4 assigned to each case as it arises, with them not being connected to any participant nation to the matter at hand.

It's a reflection of his psyche, i think i mentioned his similarity to Keane here earlier, no amount of tackle school is going to change that when the demons and mist descends, his dad was the same. If he does it again though, six month ban.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

"tackle was more a reflection of his frustration with his own performance and the game plan forced on the players by the coach."

That made me laugh out loud.

Have I got this right?

If he had played better he wouldn't have been so annoyed and he wouldn't have tried to attempt dentistry with his shoulder.

Plus his coach is sh1t. The game plan didn't even tell him to NOT shoulder anyone in the face.

Keee-rist.

Advertisement