Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nurse Lucy Letby found guilty of murdering seven babies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...what if her appeals process eventually succeeds?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Long Sean Silver

• Registered Users Posts: 13,598 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Yes. Myra has tried to get it commuted a few times but no joy.

Imagine being the " new Myra Hindley"?

Same deadpan look..no remorse or empathy.

Ah ffs, there is no way she should be let near a vulnerable person again, never mind out of prison!

Too far.. Are you taking the pvss?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,410 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

There are currently 67 people under a whole-life tariff in prison and a further 4 in secure hospitals, according to the Ministry of Justice in the UK.

So she’s legitimately viewed as one of the most dangerous individuals in the whole of the UK…

I don’t believe she is the product of society…

she had a nice place to live, a good job with responsibilities yes…

earning the equivalent of about 40,000-42,000 euros considering her experience.

Chester is a very nice, picturesque and sedate city / town by the river with loads of amenities…. Been there a couple of times….

so to say she is a product of society ? Nahhhhh…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Long Sean Silver

i think what's shocking to some people is this girl appears quite normal, mundane, ordinary. she has no fangs, no horns, no pointy tail. she doesn't look mean or weird. by all accounts she was loved, cared for, and not ill-treated by her family or friends.

if you think about it it's not that remarkable that the odd human is defective in some way. that the odd one comes out all wrong. why are we so surprised by that?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Registered Users Posts: 55,694 ✭✭✭✭walshb

So really you have no view on what punishment she deserves? If released in 10 years you’d have no view, not be bothered?

Surely nobody is trying to claim that her actions are a product/result of society?

She’s even worse than Hindley if that’s possible.

• Advertisement

I see your deflection...

That is not what I have been saying but that is not the issue.

You mentioned what a waste it was that she would never use her considerable training again?

There is no way somebody like her would /should be allowed near any person in any capacity, never mind as a nurse or carer.

That I believe will be her best punishment, to be slopping out and treated like every other prisoner with no regard for her obvious intelligence or qualifications.

The fact that you think she is some sort of anomaly is irrelevant.

She is a killer of the most vulnerable.. There is no way back for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'm sure theres a few eejits who doubt Hindley's guilt aswell.

Imagine knowing you are 33 years of age….in the absolute prime of life…however…. the extreme likelihood is that you are going to die in prison. So you could be in there 45 plus years…

the absolute boredom, the repetitiveness, dull humdrum, being surrounded by people who whilst no angels themselves will hold you in the greatest contempt possible…and if they can access you…. Jeez.

HMP Low Newton looks no more comfy or modern than Mountjoy…. Maybe if she’s under protection she might be afforded more space, comfort but shît…it’s no life, just an existence..

the judge deserves great credit.

So you actually think a cnm1 watching Ms Letby more closely could have averted her killing spree?

To take this to its logical conclusion, should every qualified person looking after vulnerable people be supervised as they go about their jobs, despite their obvious training qualifications and rigorous reference and vetting checks??

That is not only unworkable it is bizarre to think that would be appropriate given the rarity of somebody like Lucy Letby in the workforce!

I hold the management responsible for not taking the consultants initial concerns about infant deaths to the police and not investigating them more forensically.

I also think cctv should have been put in place when there were any questions raised about anubody harming never mind killing a child.

But supervision in this circumstance is not the right approach. One approach maybe. But would be anathema to all the very good professional people there working away relying on their own ethics and conscience doing their jobs brilliantly every day.

Supervision is a tool used when someone's performance has been called into question. Or when being trained in an area.

I don't know if she was supervised after the initial allegations and deaths, that was when she should have been watched closely and she could have had no ojection unless she was to raise suspicion.

I would say given her complaint about bullying and the subsequent apology the consultants were forced to sign would imply that maybe she won in this regard and she was not placed on supervision.

She was removed from the are and placed on a desk job at a later stage.

She was clever and cunning and found different ways to kill without hardly leaving a trace. Would have been hard to pick up without watching her all the time.

Two baby killer nurses now.. In the UK.. Not to mention elderly abuse in nursing homes.

Time for CCTV to be installed in areas of special vulnerability.

Social media has featured commentary with that slant, 😏

Fook me!!!

blaming the gubberment and the “elites.”

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

She sent 156 texts on one shift why was that not noticed, I mean supervised in the sense of an expedition of high standards and professional behavior it's not about catching them doing something wrong after the fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭dbas

'I hold the management responsible for not taking the consultants initial concerns about infant deaths to the police and not investigating them more forensically.'

Exactly. What was their alternative reasoning for the increase in the death rate? Not sure CCTV would have been workable to be honest. If my baby was in there, I wouldn't be too comfortable being recorded on CCTV. Thankfully b****es like her are very very rare and she is now in the best place for her.

Repoerting/ Whistleblowing policy has to be tightnened up for a start. When this report gets released it will be highly critical of hospital management, who coincidentally are all retired

Think sending texts is the at the lower end of doing something wrong in fairness never mind in her case !

Do you think that's important or even relevant in regard to my reply which it appears you have not read ?

• Advertisement

Many did not like the security armbands on neonates either but it is the lesser of 2 evils .

Parents are watched by staff anyway in neonatal units , so many tubeseqjipment that can be dislodged .

Why not CCTV?

If people like her are targeting areas where vulnerable babies ( or adults) are , it may be something that might deter this predatory behaviour.

We possibly at cross purposes the texts are an indication of the standards that were accepted on the unit. I did not say she could have been stopped but she might have been caught quicker with better management and a structured environment what we permit we promote. Why wasn't there someone saying to her put your phone away this a professional work environment.

Motive, means and opertunity. Society can't do much about motive but a lot can be done about means and opertunity.

One night in the rotunda when my boy was in neonatal ICU we were asked to leave by a nurse because 'there was a very sick baby there'

We passed the parents on the way out and they were in bits. Poor baby

The next day my wife saw the father with a little coffin. I'd hate to think that was all recorded on CCTV

(Those wristbands are deadly- set off an alarm of someone tries to leave with the baby. No issue with them at all)

I would not be a fan of people using phones at work but it might be allowed in some units at the special care end rather than ICU , on night duty for example where babies are sleeping and just being fed and monitored by a nurse .

It would not be common in my experience but that is not to say that it is banned either .

I don't know the details of her texts , numbers etc . When was that? Before deaths, after ?

The point I was making was that supervision could only have kicked in after the death of at least 3 babies as they were completely unaware of the depths that that person could go to , even at that stage , and that continued after the consultants complained .

Following that she may have been watched more closely , I don't know but it certainly would have been reasonable if a complaint had been registered and she had been given a warning .

But still babies continued to die.

Supervision of an experienced qualified professional without a reason is not usual although most new staff are ' inducted ' and observed for a few weeks or months until they settle in and professional competencies are signed off ... To support them in their work , as well as see what they are like .

We don't really know about the individual unit policies but it would have had to meet standard operational guidelines for a neonatal special care unit within NHS , or this would have been flagged I would have thought during the trial.

I would say it will come out in the wash .

They were negligent in how they dealt with her case .

However nothing could be worse than allowing a murderer loose in a special care unit , and 7+ babies dead!

There is no coming back from that .

Why ? It’s likely every funeral home has cctv. A lot of assets contained on those premises…

most churches since covid and some before have cctv and or cameras for broadcasting ceremonies. The one in my local church is on 24/7 it’s in fact broadcasting now…

so for cctv to be available at hospitals, no problem…..as long as cameras are appropriately placed.

God love them .😪

I think if parents are made aware and that it is just a record which is part of care for their baby it is not intrusive and maybe the deterrent that is needed in the very rare cases like these.

They are used in some big A+E departments and in some major ICUs,as a security measure already

There is usually a parent's room, or family room on neonatal units which would be private .And in the case you mention there is also a room where the parents can hold their baby , take photographs and just be with their little one after the medical stuff has been removed . This would all be completely outside of any CCTV remit .

I am sorry that you went through that , very scary for other parents to see . Hope your boy is ok ?

Yeah the bracelets are great !

The common areas and entrances yeah. Not right on the wards on babies and patients.

That's not the solution in my opinion

He was 6 weeks early and he's 6.5 years old now. Flying it thankfully. Only another week till they're back to school lol

Two weeks in NICU and the staff were amazing. Amazing people really. Kind and thoughtful, but also amazingly professional.

Wife swears it's the best tea and toast you'll get in Dublin 😊

I bet the staff in Rotunda would actually kill the likes of Letby. Using their profession as a cover so she could murder babies.

• Advertisement

Yeah .

Its going to make people in a bad situation feel a whole lot worse , definitely .

So good to hear he's doing well . And a lovely age...enjoy 😊

Advertisement