Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

This is it for me, we have been slowly rebuilding a nice team over the past few windows even with the mistakes made. If we got in a ready to go starting CDM before this window closes it would be great, then the focus on getting VVD’s replacement in within the next 12 months. However, we will always have to rely on youth/lesser talented players to fill in the final gaps on the bench, yes, we will have some top talent in reserve, but I think some people are being unrealistic with the constant comparison to City, who will have a 400m pound + bench at their disposal is getting nauseating! 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

My point was that with better planning, we wouldn't need this amount of surgery on the squad now, if we had continued to add one or two players each window, while at the same time getting rid of some of the deadwood earlier. No one expected a total overhaul of the midfield ( let alone squad 🙄) in one window, yet the club are the ones trying to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Macallisters red card has been overturned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I've no problem with the referee making the mistake. It happens.

However, the two over VAR would want to occasionally engage their brains. This makes both look extremely incompetent.

I wonder if the decision would have been overturned if we had ended up losing that game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Sooner they are mic'ed the better.

Mike Dean defended the decision in the immediate aftermath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

But we didn't pull the Lavia deal because the club felt he was worth what they were asking. Southampton wanted £50m and our final bid for hi was £60m, as I said before, the whole episode was embarrassing and every club will looking laughing at then and lippong their chose when they come knocking for a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Did we bid 60m for him. Im pretty sure reliable sources said we didn't go back in for him after caicedo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Again, it very much seems we did not bid 60m. The one singular report of that has been roundly contradicted, including by the later comment by Southampton themselves, all saying Liverpool did not come back in with a higher bid after Chelsea's - the consensus is that Liverpool had a bid accepted BEFORE Chelsea's. It would seem our accepted bid was around 48 - 50m, with Chelsea then having a slightly higher bid accepted but with less money up front.

Did we bid 60m for Lavia? I thought we didn't go any higher than the 46m.

• Advertisement

Fairly certain that post was in reply to the person who suggested getting rid of VVD and Salah along with Hendo and Fab within this window. So yes there's some people who expect complete squad overhauls within 1 window...

We had a bid accepted, i dont know the exact figure. Either way, we fuckd around for two weeks acting as if we.woukdnt budget on our valuation of the player and then shat the bed and agreed to pay it after we got rejected by Caicdeo. As I said the while episode was embarrassing for the club. Fingers crossed there will learn from it though, but I won't hold my breath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

If you didn't know the figure why did you say Liverpool bid 60m?

Well Chelsea had a £60m bid accepted, now maybe Southampton were feeling charitable to Liverpool and decided to accept their bid of £45m as well and were happy to potentially take a £15m loss. Actually, maybe Southampton felt sorry for Liverpool missing out on Caicedo after they bid £110m for hin that the decide to accept go back and accept our original £40m bid. That makes much more sense now that I think about it. 😂

Also, I don't know exact figure the same as no one on this thread knows the exact figure so I don't see much point getting bogged down on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Link please to where Southampton accepted a bid of £60m from Chelsea? And then decided to take an offer of £53m +5m in add ons!

Okay, to make this a bit simpler.

Here's link stating Liverpool bid up to £60m and it was accepted.

The usual Liverpool mouthpiece journalist then came out and claimed that Liverpool didnt make any additional bid and that no bid was ever accepted from Southampton. Then Southampton club director came out and shat all over that propaganda attempt and said that Southampton did accept a Liverpool bid, but didn't state the fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

So you're saying that Southampton accepted Liverpool's £60m bid and then felt charitable and also accepted Chelsea's bid of worse terms of £53m + £5m after that?

That doesn't make sense. Why accept a lower bid after the (supposed) fact?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Robertson didn't become a first team regular until the January after he signed. Fabinho went through the same indoctrination into the system on the training pitch before being unleashed in the first team. Klopp doesn't have the luxury of taking the same approach with Endo or another potential #6 signing.

Personally I'd like to leave the midfield alone for now to give the new signings the opportunity to bed in. Introducing a fourth new signing when only three are going to play is going to create issues with them developing an understanding without having had the benefit of spending pre-season together.

The defensive line needs to be addressed and ideally the club would have brought in a player already. If Van Dijk or Konate pick up an injury we will be in serious trouble. Yet again we are leaving it late in a transfer window to address a need for the squad, the opposite of what the manager proclaimed was the club's intention before the window opened in June.

That's the article that has been roundly disproven and contradicted by absolutely everyone, including Southampton (and you seem to have the timeline confused there). Been confirmed Liverpool did not come back in after Chelsea, and no bid was made on that Monday - which is what that single unsubstantiated article claims. It's been confirmed Liverpool did have a bid accepted, but that was BEFORE Chelsea came in. Speaking of the process leading up to that weekend, Southampton's director Jason Wilcox stated: “We had an offer which we accepted from Liverpool but then Chelsea came to the table”

Which all amounts to the same thing in the grand scheme of things, that the player chose another club - but it's very relevant to the claim that we came back in with this massive crazy desperate offer after Chelsea's bid, which will have future clubs "lippong their chose" (I'm guessing you meant 'licking their chops'?).

Post edited by ~Rebel~ on

Sorry, Liverpool bid was up to £60m, but that included add-ons.

Yes, licking their chops. And they still will be. We spent weeks refusing to meet their valuation only to end up meeting their valuation. Whether the bid was £60m or bang on their £50m valuation it doesn't matter.

Trying to play hardball only works if you can walk away, not if you end up going back with your tail between your legs. And that's what other clubs will see, how we will cave eventually.

• Advertisement

Well it matters to the point you were trying to make... why would other clubs be licking their chops if Liverpool never in fact actually came in with this crazy desperate over the top bid? Obviously that would only really be the case if they came in and bid so much higher than was even asked for initially - which again, is not the case. They by all accounts - most importantly Southamptons - offered what was asked, had a bid accepted, and were beaten on personal terms by Chelsea.

Like, the whole debacle was a failure in that the same successful bid made a week earlier would've secured the player, but it feels like you're really over-egging it here...

Becase Liverpool have shown they can't walk away. That's why they'd be licmong their chops. Just stick with your valuation and Liverpool will pay it as they become more and more desperate. The whole situation was an embarrassing for Liverpool. That's not over egging it. It made the people in charge of transfers look fairly useless tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

We can only be embarrassed if we want to be embarrassed. We were led to believe Caicedo would be interested. He wasn't. Lavia was interested until he seen the big bucks Chelsea were offering. Liverpool have walked away on plenty of occasions and will continue to do so if a valuation doesn't suit.

I'd be a hell of a lot more embarrassed being a Chelsea fan tbh.

They've shown on many many more occasions to be more than willing to walk away. If anything this is very much an outlier event, under fairly exceptional circumstances - would take a few more of the same occurrence for it to have any actual real world relevance.

If we're setting the bar at Chelsea were in big trouble.

Well they haven't actually. The person in charge of transfer negotiations has only been here since this summer. What a start he's had. 😂 you'd hope from here the only way is up but let's not hold our breath on that one either.

it's just such pointless hand-wringing. It's all fan-nonsense removed from the actual business of football. There is just no way that this one transfer story will have any impact whatsoever on the actual nuts and bolts of these in-industry people talking to each other. Not to mention there've likely been a myriad of player inquiries that have been walked away from in this window alone (Mount being one we know of for sure). This instance happened to be a very precise intersection of actually really liking a player, while recognizing his inexperience, against a backdrop of unexpectedly losing two players, with a looming window closure. It is what it is, no point making a bigger deal of it than that..

Post edited by ~Rebel~ on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Dunno why you are so surprised, it was always gonna happen. We all know it shouldn't have been a red and we are being proven right time and time again. It's actually just pathetic how get reffed so differently to every other team. Jota got a a yellow card for being headbutted by Enzo Fernandez ffs!! Salah gets MMA tackled every week and gets nothing time and time again. I for one am tired of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Anything worse than lads all wanting the last word online? Just leave it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Would love to see a midfield of Endo, Dom and MacAllister this weekend along with a front line of Diaz, Gakpo and Salah.

It's would be a great test for the new team. We also should have a bench that can change a game. I'm excited for this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

It's going to give us an idea of where we're at and definitely as to Endo's real ability as a DM. Isak is going to be a big challenge.

While I agree that’s our best team on paper as things stand currently, I think its still far too early get excited about taking points away at Newcastle.

MaCallister and Szobo have started well, especially the later, but they’re still a long way away from the knowing the in’s, out’s and demands of a Klopp midfield. If Endo starts, he will be the lynch pin of that trio with max total of 5/6 days training behind him.

On the other hand, Newcastle at this stage are finally tuned going into their 3rd season of this team build under Howe, they absolutely demolished Villa and to be honest they could have scored 10. They were also very impressive in that loss to City and with a bit of guile up front, could have come away with at least a point, they look very solid in defence and midfield, which is one that that definitely cannot be said for us! I can see Isak causing us all sorts of problems up front and will get a least 1. If you offered me a dour 1-1 draw now, I’d bite your hand off…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Perhaps they tagged my post in error, regardless I don't think anyone realistically can expect any team to totally overhaul a squad in one window (Chelsea appear to be trying this in the last few windows and are a disaster zone). My point was with better planning and a gradual overhaul of the squad over the last 3 seasons, we would have avoided last seasons shitshow and the squad wouldn't require the amount of surgery this summer and beyond, plus it would have cost less in the long run, as fees have gone through the roof in the last 12 months and we wouldn't have missed out on the CL revenue this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Salah has started poorly. We need him to be much sharper and never on penalties

He has 1 goal & 1 assist in 2 games. Narrowly had one goal ruled out via VAR, and hit the bar.

I suppose he does have incredibly high standards to meet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Salah's form is the least of our problems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭ltd440

Totally agree with everything here,if liverpool get a point I'll be a happy man

Another reason I want Trent more RB-ish is because it pushes Salah a little bit further forward and stops him coming as deep/wide.

I think anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

The goal being the missed penalty ya. Also threw a hissy fit when hooked for being pretty anonymous game no.1.

He has incredibly high standards but for us to be successful he needs to continue to meet them. His touch has been really inconsistent. I'm sure it'll improve with more games.

Taking him off penalties is surely a no brainer. Hasn't he missed 4 of the last 10?

I wanna say we've a tough start but tbh I look at the EPL fixture list these days and find it hard to see any "easy" games bar maybe Luton.

Otherwise you'd have said 5 points from our opening three games wasn't too bad considering two were at Stamford Bridge and St James.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

It's a tough enough start to the season alright. Away to Chelsea, Newcastle, Spurs and Brighton in our first 8 games. Also have Aston Villa in there. Probably all going to be top 6 to 8 sides at the end of the season.

• Advertisement

Yeah I agree, I prefer him in that sort of 'cheating' position that is very high and somewhat wide. In between those RW & CF positions.

Just to play devil's advocate here, are the coaches using Salah wider and deeper to utilize his playmaking abilities more? To pre-empt age catching up with him when his rapid pace starts to wane. Become a different player, rather than the edge of the shoulder one.

2 goal contributions in two games still isn't bad.

Houllier said that 4 first choice players is the maximum that can be introduced into a team at once without causing a massive disruption. Beyond that the existing cohesion is gone and the manager is building a new team. Benitez had the same belief and Klopp made mention of the same issue when Chelsea began their spending spree last year.

Chelsea have a panel of players but Newcastle have developed a team, Klopp chose not to add to the squad in the summer of 2019 and last summer was an attempt to replicate the same trick. In the past 8 transfer windows, the club has signed 11 players for the first team that are still at the club.

• 2019 : Adrian
    • 2020 : Thiago, Jota, Tsimikas
    • 2021 : Konate, Diaz
    • 2022 : Nunez, Gakpo
    • 2023 : Mac Allister, Szoboszlai, Endo

There has been a serious amount of neglect in the up keep of the squad to maintain a competitive edge.

It seems that the club's low balling transfer offer game has moved to Brazil.

I don't understand why they want to play the pointless game, a €30M/£25M offer from Fulham was rejected what seems like a lifetime ago. That's the price for which the club president said he could leave at the end of their season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

''Anmar Al Haaeli, the president of Ittihad Jeddah, '' club's talks with Liverpool are in progress, and Salah will move to the Jeddah-based club in hours''

😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

no less than £100 million should be accepted.

£100m seems decent for a player that is playing so poorly this season 😆

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭facehugger99

No idea how transfermarket work out the 'worth' of players but they have Andre at €15m.

€30m hardly seems like low-balling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Salah has no worries, I predict 25 league goals this season, trouble is we need diaz and Nunez/jota to get 17 each also to win the league .

• Advertisement
Advertisement