Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭Rawr

Getting the impression that Trump’s childishness has yet again supplied the MAGA dimwits with a new ingredient to how their ilk approach democracy. Simply because Trump doesn’t wanna debate, his gaggle of political groupies are now going to stop debating. In future I wouldn’t be surprised if the MAGA election strategy going forward is:

• Refuse to debate
    • Discourage mail-in ballots
    • Then claim the election was stolen when you lose.

All because the rapist Donnie couldn’t manage to behave like an adult on stage, couldn’t avoid trying to use his post to attempt to rig the election and ultimately wasn’t mature enough to accept a fair loss in a competition.

Only the Best People folks…..only the Best…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Ah, but you see that poll (73% of GOP voters want a debate) was taken before trump said he wasnt going to debate (as if he could). I would love to see the poll now.

All the little sheep "oh he doesn't need to be there. Legendary, remember?"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,775 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

George Conway deciding to wind trump up this week, and it's fantastic

What's the over-under on him breaking the conditions?

• Advertisement

Watch troth special for the likes of...

"NEVER THREATENED ANYBODY. POSTED ADDRESSES OF RADICAL LEFT WITCH HUNTERS AND PRAISED OUR BEAUTIFUL 2ND AMMENDMENT. JNR JUST POSTED PICS AND ADDRESSES OF THEIR FAMILIES AND PRAISED 2ND AMMENDMENT. PERFECT POSTS. HOW IS THIS A THREAT. FREEDOM"

Why not? It's a win-win for him. His terrorist cult will jump at his nudge-nudge-wink-wink post. (We know they have form. Despite his people here on this thread saying Jan6 didn't happen). And if the courts have a problem with his post and lock him up (the irony) then his terrorist cult will riot again and murder more people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,426 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Considering his interview with tucker has already been prerecorded, I wonder how much had to be edited out to adhere to this bail conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 83,360 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Well his actions got people killed so it’s not a good idea of him to try the it’s not murder defense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭Christy42

Thanks. I was rather wondering as well what happened to the posters on this platform who thought Biden not debating was a disgrace to democracy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭Rawr

We seem to be running low on MAGA faithful on here. We're mostly down to one occasional visitor who'll turn up once there's a US Right-winger who's a "breath of fresh air" and then proceed to be an ardent MAGA apologist of truly awful things. But I guess "fresh air" is of short supply at the moment.

I suspect many may have migrated to agreeable pro-MAGA echo chambers Since apparently we are all Marxists Lefty-loonies on here....or something woke something...either way, running low on local MAGA silliness for the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Italy aside, thought that's a whole different context IMO, right-leaning populism seems to be on the wane - or at the very least, beginning to be shown as empty promises and no follow-through. There was a hot streak circa 2016 when it seemed like the superficial, right-adjacent ásshole was ascendant; so-called "woke politics" under attack by those promising to attack that while doing Jack Shít about the issues that matter. Trump, Johnson, Bolsonaro, Vox in Spain, etc. ... lots of noise, almost zero positive impact on economies or the environment.

Yeah the fascists are resurgent in Italy, sure: but that country has a rotating-door with governments so I'd withhold pearl-clutching just yet. It shouldn't take long before they go full fascist and they'll be booted out (you'd hope). And yeah AfD in Germany are swirling around themselves but again, fascists can't resist eventually outing themselves - look at Vox - and people quickly shy away from that kind of thing. People ultimately lean liberal IMO, not always to the extremes espoused by the Twitter American Liberals, but generally folks have a shallow appetite for the aforementioned ásshole.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

It absolutely is, and has been for a long time. That CBS poll is quite remarkable. I'm not sure how their rating is as a pollster but to think that 71% of those surveyed believe what Trump says, compared to 60% believing their family members, and 42% believing their religious leaders, is very disturbing indeed. I'm not at all sure what could happen to break this spell either. A sex abuse trial hasn't worked. Being criminally prosecuted hasn't made any difference either. And his bigoted, stupid, childish behaviour seems to go down a storm with these people. And yet, if you ask most of these people why they're so devoted to Donnie, they can't answer. The US is in a very dark place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭Christy42

Because if Donnie lied about this he might have lied about other things. He validated a lot of their feelings and many have gone a rabbit hole of dumb conspiracies, to admit that now would invalidate a lot of their own feelings that they couldn't express in society before as well as needing to admit the dumb conspiracies are in fact dumb. This second point is a human psychology issue that scammers abuse a lot. Get someone in on a low level scam, the target falls for it because it is a low amount of money. Then when the amount ups the target is forced to admit they fell for a dumb scam or invest heavily and hope it works out leaving them looking like a genius. Human nature goes towards the second one as a sunk cost hoping their ego is spared and they don't need to admit they were silly the first time around. Same with poker drawing someone into a pot they should have folded out of with a small bid.

Cult of personality is something I am curious about. If regularly checked thedonald.win around the election time. The amount of arguments over whether or not Donald was secretly still in control and just using the "loss" to expose the "fraud" was impressive. You were either a doomer or at risk of not doing enough to overturn the results. Many believed most high ranking democrats were in Guantanamo Bay as soon as the mail ballots were counted. For some reason their preferred method of justice was dropping someone from a helicopter. This isn't about believing Donald, it is about their own sense of self worth and sense of identity. If Donald is lying then it shatters both so he must be telling the truth.

Also there is no way anyone in power was shocked by Jan 6th. They were explicit, whether or not some believed they would follow through with the threats there were absolutely explicit threats. The amount of backtracking after when they realised it hadn't worked was impressive but they were explicitly stating if the first two boxes (ballot and jury) failed they would use the 3rd (ammo).

I was going to post something similar earlier based upon, believe it or not, the Barbie movie. There seems to be early stages of people simply beginning to ignore these hate-filled mouth breathers. They lost their tiny little minds over the Barbie movie but people, in general, seemed to ignore them. Of course their followers didn't venture out of their mom's basements to go to see the movie and they decried it as some wokey wokey woke wokeness but that's never gonna change. No, even only a year or so ago, this would have gotten a worse bashing.

People have realised they are a one trick pony and, if anything, are looking to them as amusement. I don't mean to lump Mark Kermode into that group. He is not. AT ALL. But it's almost like watching his rants. You'd think "Oh ho, there's an Entourage Movie sequel. And they meet the "Sex and the City" women. I cannot WAIT for the review". It's like that: Oh, I cannot WAIT to see what such and such a person will make of THIS! The fox "news" review is gonna be EPIC!

This populism actually comes across as exhausting. One can never have one's own opinion. Have to wait to see what the general consensus is before informing your own opinion and then, By God, sticking to it. I mean to be perma-outraged. I'm knackered just THINKING about the effort. The mental gymnastics involved in supporting such hateful causes. Especially when they go directly against some previous opinion. (Going from "Biden's a coward and disrespectful for not participating in debates" to well trump's not debating now "Well, he doesn't NEED to 'cos he's got such a lead". If you have to wriggle like that to change your opinion on a point, maybe you are making the wrong point....

Trump planned to counter program the debate and nevertheless still send his surrogates to the debate. FNC counters by blocking his surrogates from the spin room, from which all debate commentary and post debate interviews take place

• Registered Users Posts: 18,147 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Genius move by Fox to try to regain control from him and makes absolute sense, you dont get to control the debate and the spin if you cant be bothered showing up.

What - "My client deigned that this gathering was beneath him but charged me with informing you that when person X made statement Y, my client refutes this statement and says Z".

"Yeah? Well tell yer client to f*ck off, turn up or shut up" (Can you imagine trump doing ANY of those things?)

You know Trump will end up seeing this

It has genuinely hilarious moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,977 ✭✭✭✭briany

That depends on who has the ear of the people listening. If Trump surrogates were to go on NewsMaxx instead and Trump 'truthed' to switch over there after watching his interview with Carlson, it would really cut the nuts off of Fox News.

Eastman surrenders.

IDK if he is the first, but the first among the core conspirators afaik. Lots of people are indicted, including lower level georgians:

• Advertisement

"I am getting out of town" "we did nothing wrong TM" "change of plans... everything is going"

Because we got so lucky that they had such **** hubris to have videographers and documentarians record their coup in real time, what they thought would be their rise to a glorious new order, etc. and it would be used to cement their reign on power. But the cameras were rolling when their plans were stopped, and we see the moment Roger Stone learns Ashli Babbit was shot and killed in defense of the Capitol, his demeanor completely changes and - if we didn't have the actual footage, if we had to have Chris Nolan recreate this scene a la Oppenheimer, you would never believe it happened this way, you would think it was too Hollywood, too cartoon-villainish.

Unfubecklievable

Another play straight from the fascism playbook, the 'strongman shirtless' shtick.

also caught in a big porker about 9/11

I already think he has no chance, but he still really badly wants you to believe he's a viable candidate despite his overt pledge to pardon Trump to "heal th3 c0untry"

Eastman appears to be heading into court with the fallible 'my deeply held beliefs' defense

• Registered Users Posts: 14,861 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Indeed it is, and there is no cure or remedy for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭amandstu

I think I saw someone giving his method of arguing with those folks and (I am not to clear on what he meant) but his MO may have been to agree with them (obviously so as to trip them up subsequently in the trap they had set for themselves.

You would think that those people might be aware of the vast world of common sense that surrounds them but it is as if they live in a kind of muffled bubble world populated by their own fantasies(and quite likely their low powers of digesting information)

Seems like democracy progresses at the pace of its slowest members and its anti democratic rivals have figured this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Not true, Jail sentences for those charged and convicted of crimes and the provision of proper mental health services for the rest of his supporters would be potential cures and remedies.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,511 ✭✭✭✭Water John

You would think those on the political right would be enthusiastic supporters of jail being the deterrent for anyone breaking the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭amandstu

What about that shaman bloke who "fessed up" ,got a jail sentence ,served his time and repudiated his apology when he got out?

Once a nut case always a nut case?

Does the body politic rot from the head down?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Sparko

News coming out on Twitter that "Trump employee 4" in the documents case has switched to an independent lawyer from a Trump paid one and has since retracted his original testimony and is now providing testimony that implicates Trump and others re: deleting security camera footage in Mar-A-Lago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,977 ✭✭✭✭briany

There's history of fascistic groups leveraging liberal democratic systems in order to gain power. It's not a new angle that Trump and co. are running, here, but it's always needed fertile ground of receptive voters, otherwise they'd just be some crazies shouting out in the wind and a harmless joke. Social media has allowed misinformation to run rife and mob mentalities to form and that, along with the austerity arising from the 2008 recession, has been the changes which have laid the ground for Trump and co. to attack the democratic processes of the United States - to undermine confidence in them, to promote cynicism and ignorance. The next thing will be to claim that they don't recognise the courts trying them.

Trump and his cronies had a bash at the edifices of their Republic in 2020 and, though they swayed a bit, they held. These court cases and 2024 will represent the next go around. Lot of sharks in the water who smell blood and will have been refining their methods and tactics to usurp power, and they're not going to go quietly. It may not be pleasant, but these elements will have to be confronted and faced down in order for America to truly move forward.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement