Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rose of Tralee 2023

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Hmmm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,210 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Just spotted Michael Healy Rea and the peak cap in the audience.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭HBC08

Is Daithi reading off autocue? If not that's very impressive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

New York won. Jesus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,369 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Surprised.

Clare was 1/2 favorite

• Advertisement

Deserving. One of my top 7. Impossible to judge. We only get a glimpse really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

New York - a well deserved win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,279 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Of course she won, those picking the winner had their bets on, and the market knew it, so everyone followed, and had a payday from the bookies, it's the same every year

I think the two hosts worked well Kathryn Thomas and daithi are a good duo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,369 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Think he puts the work in. It shows!

Should have given him The Late Late show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭mulbot

No, the New York girl was favourite this morning

I don’t see what autocue he could read all that off. Anyway now the session mor begins. I hope Tralee have the drink well stocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,210 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

That's an interesting thought..

Katherine Thomas's voice gets too high pitched, screechy. Same on OT.

To thine own self be true

A lot of money went on Clare after her performance. But NY was favourite early in the week. The show accounts for about 5% of the decision you'd often here.

It's more for the viewer than deciding a winner. But people rush to the bookies after a good tv performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Mayo rose was the favourite all week until tonight when Clare one became favourite and New York 2nd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Exactly. We only see a few minutes on stage.

The judges are with them for a week or two.

So we don't get to see the arm wrestling contest and tug of war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Not necessarily. New York was favourite all day today until Clare Rose took to the stage. Then Clare stormed into the lead, obviously big money came in. Lot of punters burnt methinks.

As I said in an earlier post, an "International" Rose was going to have an advantage as the cute hoors in Kerry will want to encourage foreign participation... and last year was a local winner (Westmeath)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭apache

Have to say Daithi was impressive at that. I used to fancy him years ago. Still a handsome man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

New York was 7/4 yesterday before the TV show started. Mayo next at 7/2 or so. Then Kerry 6/1, Sydney 8/1, Clare may have been around that price too, can't recall.

Before tonight's show, new York was 10/11 fav, mayo second fav.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

They had pretty strict limits, I tried to put 6 euro on Antrim at 66/1 yesterday and Paddy power wouldn't let me, most they'd take was 5!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,958 ✭✭✭Storm 10

It was her Mother she lives with her and she said people think they are Sisters she looks so young

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

It's odd given Rté's penchant for terrible reality TV that they don't follow them around for the week or whatever it is and show an hour or two of footage every night. Given the cameras follow them anyway, it'd be an easy, cheap filler programme and would probably get good sponsorship from the businesses/sights shown. It'd also give the audience a better insight into the girls and make the winner more transparent than 5 wooden minutes on stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Yeah, it really is strange that they don't try to put together a behind the scenes or build-up type programme as yes, they clearly have the camera's following them around. That 5 minute montage last night could obviously have been stretched to an hour (2 half hour segments) maybe just with voice over narration to keep the costs down. They certainly would get the viewers. I think in the past there was more background stuff televised on the likes of Nationwide etc.

If they wanted to go full on reality show type competition, there's apparently a fairly lengthy private interview section between just the Roses and the judges that is hinted at but never really fully discussed... which is where the winning Rose is actually decided upon. That might be quite interesting.

The only reason that they might not want to do that is that if the organisers pull back the curtains completely, they would lose control of the narrative and the judges decisions/motivations might be questioned. This year was all about empowerment of wimmin etc. and the competition aspect was played down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,196 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Big deal. What's the difference? 1 miserly Euro. So did you put the fiver on her?

Well if you did it was less of a loss for you then anyway.

Post edited by AMKC on

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭HBC08

Looking straight into the screen for a lot of it,easily could have been bullet point notes or an autocue but it seems he does this every year so fair play to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,196 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

The mother died of cancer and the Father died in a tragic accident I think it was. They had no one else near by anyway so ye the cummunity are all very good to them.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Now that the dust has settled, I just want to say fcuk the begrudgers! I'm no rose aficionado, just a casual viewer, but it's like groundhog day when it rolls around each year. Journalists are given carte blanche to bash it, ridicule it, and dismiss it. It's seen as the "trendy" thing to do. And yes, the event can be a bit cringey, a bit twee, and elements of it are anachronistic, but it also promotes positive role models for women, celebrates Irish culture and traditions, and embraces the diaspora. In an era of toxicity on the likes of Love Island, the Rose of Tralee is a tonic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

100%.

I still really enjoy it. I don't mean that in an ironic way, I like it for what it is.

People calling it misogynist or sexist is nonsense.

I think people don't understand the tone of it because it's many things at once.

It's old fashioned, nostalgic, twee, kitsch, camp, modern, fun, sometimes cringe, but also it has lots of pathos, strong messages on equality, diversity, empathy, community, family, tradition etc.

It's complex really. Not to be taken too seriously but at the same time the message it conveys should be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

No it is not, on the local paper it said sister and I know the mother who lost her son in Australia.

Advertisement