Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Ahwell

He didn't go down too well with the british public when he was presenting the Olympics, it set his career back quite a bit I think...

He also had an RTE series "The Social" pulled after just five episodes. It was bad.

Post edited by Ahwell on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭hawley

Not sure what great qualities that Noel Kelly has, apart from being a hard worker and desperately pushy. His work as an agent is only a sideline job. He also has a marketing company. The fact that he was able to get lucrative contracts for the likes of Gerry Ryan and Tubridy was of no benefit to anyone, except themselves. Tubs should have made sure that everything was above board and transparent. That he was still running around after Kelly, after he landed him in trouble, beggars belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,032 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

An agent takes what, 15 or 20%?

So instead of getting paid 200k for a radio gig and giving your agent 40k you get paid 170k and give your agent zero- you’re 10k up on the deal🤪

In fairness, the agents will have to reduce their % in this new way of working or else work a hell of a lot harder to get their clients additional deals elsewhere - if RTÉ are giving one off take it or leave it offers, there’s no room for agents. In addition, we know the current ball park figures for the various shows- reduce them by 20- 25% and you probably have the new figures.

Didn’t a few people leave NK management over the last while?

Ciara Doherty Lottie Ryan Ciara Kelly have all left this year- Doherty gave her reason as impartiality when covering news stories- I didn’t see any stated reasons for the other two.

The commercial stations are already likely squeezed so it would be interesting if they all decide to reduce down their fees paid to presenters in line with the new normal in RTÉ.

Either way, overall this is small change and a bit of a side show compared to what the public pay into RTÉ and what the government give each year- while a million or two might be saved through reduced salaries to the top 10 presenters over time, a lot more solid reforms and cost savings need to be laid out by RTÉ management -public trust is eroded and I don’t blame anyone for not paying the licence fee- the new DG needs to act quickly decisively and this year - his honeymoon period is fast running out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,328 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Good. The license fee revenues will continue to crash. Until the likes of Forbes and O'Leary stop pretending to be ill and face the music. Until Tubs pays back the 150k. Until O'Keefe explains the massive "redundancy" payment. Until Jennings and Coveney are held to account. Until the other vastly overpaid RTE presenters have new contracts (Duffy, Darcy). Until the influence of leeches like Kelly is reduced. Until RTE is a public service broadcaster and not a gravy train for the elites.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

A **** major YES to all of this.

This needs to happen. Will it ?

• Advertisement

This is interesting (or maybe it isn’t I dunno🤪)

The BBC publishes salaries above £178,000, which means that Ryans salary of 170k euro for his radio programme wouldn’t feature on their published list.

So even if he got a small bit of part time work on the beeb he’d likely be making ok money - problem is he put too many of his eggs in with the RTÉ basket - had he spread his wings a bit more and a bit more regularly he could have slotted nicely into some morning or drive time slot on one of the beebs regional channels -

I know we joke about Radio Norwich but if full time, the pay is likely higher than what he’s getting right now- a small fish in a big pond still pays the mortgage

Yeah great post there Cluedo - excuse me if I don’t quote it, I don’t want to get sued…..but we’re all behind you 🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭squonk

Yeah I agree but Bryan did spread his wings. He filled in for Graham Norton a few years ago. Despite having g the Saturday morning slot of one of the major BBC presenters with an established audience for a few weeks he didn’t turn it into anything further. He had a clause in his contract to allow him with the outside broadcasters for a few weeks a year but he didn’t seem to developer that either because of lack of demand or lack of ambition/complacency. Most of us can’t afford to rest in our laurels and do have to uphill from time to time to stay competitive at west we do. I’d say Ryan took his eye off the back a long time ago and accepted the BBCs “Don’t call us, we’ll call you” and just sat back into his RTE gig believing it was shears going to be there because, in fairness, who ever got thrown it off RTE? Even Ryan was back in this time till he opened his mouth. It’s probably a good lesson allround really. RTE probably need to get more discerning. If you’re not learning and growing and becoming better then good luck. Look at Joe Duffy. There was probably a time early in when Liveline was a good show with him in charge. Now we have a guy steering a shoe into any old horeshîte to wind the clock down to his retirement as he’s unlikely to get a contract next time out.

Indeed a lesson for all of us- the civil service is probably one of the few places in a lot of countries where you can reach a position of whatever level of skill you have and then coast to retirement, safe in the knowledge little will take that job away from you - RTÉ and some of its presenters have that same approach .

Funny how our export of quality talent to the UK has dried up in recent decades -it started with Eamonn Andrews, Gay Byrne of course did his time there, Terry Wogan, Val Doonican, Henry Kelly all did well out of the BBC - since Graham Norton there hasn’t been anyone of note. Has RTÉ been too cushy a number for them?

Duffys salary is a disgrace for the sort of rubbish he pedals on his show- an outsider looking at the “talent” that is RTÉ would just laugh.

Good question. I know RTE I’d a cushy number but capable and ambitious people don’t stay in cushy numbers however for some who are talented it’s also a source of security I suppose. It’s not always desirable to live like a shark not knowing where your next meal is coming from.

I think there are many more outlets cut talent now. Back in the day Gay, Terry & Eamonn really just had RTE as a kick off point or you went to England out of the box. I actually think Gaybstarted in Granada before coming back here but I might be wrong. I’d imagine the opening back then weren’t very many and probably there was a lesser amount lining for them but the cresm did rise.

Graham bypassed RTE and looked to go straight to the UK. At least I don’t remember him doing anything in RTE. He’d probably have been too controversial for them to touch at that stage.

RTE ding develope talent. If you get a show it tell they don’t take off you should be gone but RTE seem to pick a new hire that cost them money and shoehorn them into as much as possible. You can’t get a silk purse out of a pigs ear no matter how much you wish it or try. Instead of looking for the next talent to developer they keep doubling down in the sage failed people.

Oddly tge BBC are being personality focused lately too. There seems to be no end of shed with Ramesh Ranganathsn and Rylsn doing the rounds but at least they are talented.

If RTE don’t push Prime properly they’ll just end up with s a stable of also rans. That’s been really evident since Stubbs quit the LLS. There really wasn’t anyone internally who could refinance him and it shine a C light in the back of talent and fresh blood in there. We’re a cosy Little Rock pool. Most of what’s winning around would die quickly in the ocean that is the UK market. I’d say there is far too much competition across the Irish Sea really. It’s great for their market but it means we get stuck with the ones who can’t compete or a care home for the ones who tried and were found out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭TokTik

He’s only 50 though. That nest egg has to last him the next 30+ years. Unless he’s invested very wisely he’ll need another income, and soon you’d suspect. And €500,000 a year is only, only haha, €253,924 take home pay after taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,047 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

This was probably posted already:

I'm sure everyone here will be on the edge of their seat waiting to hear what's next for The Toyman. 😂

Lol! He proudly took the GB NEWS gig!

Good to see that he appears to be in reasonable form anyway - like I said before, not interested in kicking the man when he’s down- if he gets another decent gig somewhere else then good on him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Why is this on RTE news.. he was cancelled.

Agreed. I don’t like his work but it’s hard losing your job so personally I wish him the best and hope he has a soft landing and is back doing what he loves before long.

He had already made the decision to step back from TLLS earlier this year - so it’s entirely possible he had other projects lined up since and if this current “crisis” hasn’t impacted that project, then it’s likely he’ll be pushing ahead with whatever this gig is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Has he? If so, good luck to him.

Just don't ever think of coming back here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I was wondering why GB News would be in anyway interested in Tubs, many out of some distain for a former OfCom executive who is now DG in RTÉ. GB News does suit Tubs, even if as ye all think its a small time cable news channel ... it is more down to the type of coverage of politics it provides ... either to the left or right Tubs doesn't have that type of energy in him.

He won't be Rachal Maddox on MSNBC

He won't be Tucker Carlson on FOX.

As for Craig Doyle.... how many times did RTÉ try to force him on Irish audiences.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

In the short term at least, RTÉ isn't the sort of place anyone should aspire to work in- there’s a lot of dead wood to be kicked out, a lot of old practices to be stopped and new processes to be introduced- if Tubridy can spread his wings a bit more which he has needed to anyway over the last number of years, he might look back at this episode as a blessing in disguise.

He seems to be going about things the right way anyway- my gripe as with most people is with RTÉ in general- this has been a side show that got way too much emphasis considering the much bigger issues with RTÉ and the waste of tax payers funds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Expunge

Very interesting stats put together by Darragh McManus in today's Indo

Darragh McManus: Radio 1 listeners could be on cloud nine if RTÉ breaks up morning gloom with a dose of levity | Independent.ie

(Behind a paywall)

He goes through the hosts of that 9-10 am slot on Radio since Gay Byrne left it in 1998......

Marian Finucane 1999-2005

Ryan Tubridy 2005 - 2010

John Murray 2010 - 2015

Tubridy again from 2015

He picks some JNLR audience numbers for each of them:

Marian F 336,000 (2003)

Tubridy 333,000 (2009)

J. Murray 330,00 (2014)

Tubridy again 334,000 (2023)

Interesting how stable the slot is, regardless of who's presenting. The negative for Tubs in this is that the population of Ireland has increased by about a million since Marian Finucane's 2003 figure, so it's probably decline in real terms for him and Radio One.

100% agree, but the statement from the union in the Irish Times and to the Government / political parties is

Give us more money, lets stop talking about these payment, leave us be we've done nothing and nothing needs to change within RTÉ.

And the "lets stop talking about Tubrity" appeals to many people, but it fails to really address anything else in the organization.

Yes it is a side show, but there is much more to be looked into at RTÉ.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭buried

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Orange-Coca-Cola

Great post. We can live in hope. I must admit if that were to happen, or anything close to it, I would start to believe in rte, and may even start to trust that they are doing something to show us that things are changing. But that would be the minimum I would be willing to accept. Normalising Duffy's, D'Arcy's and Byrne's pay among the others would not be enough for me.

He has done a few stints on the bbc before https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/brand/b0131yms and same https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0131yms/episodes/player

There are some interesting comments in this link that was posted by somebody else earlier in this thread from 2015 https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2089720/no-more-ryan-tubridy-on-bbc-radio-2

I am convinced that Bakhurst must know a few 'tricks' more than than the chocolate man when it comes to doing business. Maybe even some very old school type methods that would have been used and well-honed to almost perfection. If he Kelly starts trying to make things more difficult, as I am aware already that he is gearing up to sue, I am sure he will use everything in the book that he knows.

I am curious though, and I am sure that somebody here will know. If, for example Ray D'Arcy is given the 9 o'clock slot, does he have to renegotiate his contract? Or could he just continue with the contact that he currently has?

Yeah many of us have said here that regardless of who you are, you’ll still get listeners at certain times of the day- wouldn’t it be gas if RTÉ put an unknown, but a competent and interesting unknown into the 9am radio slot and their figures started to rise over time- I’d love to be at the contract negotiations then for the RTÉ dinosaurs that are claiming all of those extra listeners 😀

Sue for what? I know he might have recourse for being blacklisted as an agent but while I’m all for standing up for yourself, there’s a time also to know when to walk away. He’s just digging a bigger hole for himself and his clients if he goes the legal route. Mind you he seems like a kind of aggressive guy and that probably has stood him in good stead to date so he won’t see the downside now I’d imagine.

Image we are fools for posting this on boards. Wonder what happened to Tubs during the 5 years he was off Radio 1?

______

Yesterday

“Breathed new life into the Late Late Show”

Do we live in parallel universes?? Tubridy is an awful interviewer, especially considering he was mainly interviewing clowns from the RTE canteen.

“Breathed new life into the Late Late Show”

Do we live in parallel universes?? Tubridy is an awful interviewer, especially considering he was mainly interviewing clowns from the RTE canteen.

• Advertisement

Tubridy’s contract at least was based around “hours worked”- so unless there’s an increase in hours I don’t think a contract renegotiation would necessarily be required as long as there’s agreement around the nature of the type of show they’d do in the first place linked to their skills or knowledge

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement