Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish White Privilege......Yeah

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭Alex86Eire

I've a wildly unpopular opinion looking at many of the other comments seemingly.

I believe I have white privilege because not once have I been discriminated against due to my skin colour. Many POC who live here can't say the same thing.

Having white privilege doesn't mean a person doesn't face other types of discrimination or have difficulties in their lives. It doesn't mean their lives are necessarily easier than someone without it. It just means that the discrimination/difficulties that they do face are not because of the colour of their skin. Also I don't see why the word guilt is being thrown around the place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,051 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't agree with your conclusion so asking am i comfortable or not is moot. the social issues in the US were not caused by teaching kids to be aware of the advantages they enjoy. you're mixing cause and effect.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,051 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

'use your advantage to help others' has nothing to do with guilt. do you give to charity, or devote some of your time to charitable causes, because you feel guilty?

if i give money to say the simon community, it's not because i feel guilty because i have a house. if your conclusion is that suggesting people are nice to each other because of a sense of guilt, well, i don't know how to address that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I'm beginning to think simply existing is a privilege. Being normal is a privilege. In many situations these days being Irish and white is a disadvantage. Male especially so.

That's not to diminish people with more urgent needs and disadvantages.

That's the thread title.

The first post however is about the NCCA draft for the secondary SPHE curriculum. It's hard to evaluate that because it's written in SPHE language that is open to interpretation and is difficult to understand. It's hard to accept it at face value considering they can't teach things like Irish or maths consistently.

Charities is a poor example, as they routinely play advertisements designed to induce a sense of guilt.

You're right that more than one factor is at play.

But the same factors that have socially ruined the US are slowly dripping into our society, bit by bit. If you think that this is the only US culture war nonsense that will be introduced and that's the end of it, you're wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭crusd

You are seeking to undermine an individuals experience due to systemic issues that they have no control over while simultaneously enhancing other individuals experience due to systemic issues they have no control over. That is rank hypocrisy that goes some way to explain some of the misdirected anger in evidence here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,420 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

And tall people have never been discriminated against for being short.

Give it time, you'll experience discrimination because of your skin colour once there's enough diversification in Irish society.

Because humans are racist/tribalist/prejudice. Not white people.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

So white Irish in Darndale - their fault. Asylum seekers - not their fault? Even though many of them are simply chancing their arm paying thousands to go on a boat across the Med? (You can see this first hand in travelogues that cover this, such as Sahara (Michael Palin) or Greece (Simon Reeve))

You don't think that's a racket at all, in many many cases?

There's the sort of racism that these ideas generate. White people bad, asylum seekers good. The real world is far more complex, which is why labelling people by the colour of their skin or their gender or whatever is a potentially dangerous idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

homeless people aren’t an ethnic group and most homeless people in Ireland are white Irish so you’re analogy is bogus

The thing about that belief of yours is that while it costs you nothing and demands nothing tangible of you, it delivers no meaningful change for anyone else either

no wonder it’s such a popular pastime for soft science graduates , who needs housing or people with the skills to build them , we can all get by with smug self satisfaction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,492 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

People face discrimination every damn day even in the Irish paleface population. You aren't good looking enough, tall enough, dont own property and/or a car, haven't the right connections, dont have communication skills, don't live in the right area, etc etc. Just take the shreds of so-called privilege you have and use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The modern Left aren't too worried about privilege, it's just a vehicle for them to point out the inherent badness in others. They naturally being the virtuous ones.

The modern Left have never forgiven the working class for not falling in behind the revolution and dropping "wrong think".

Remember seeing a YouTube clip about 15 ago, Harvard students screaming at unemployed construction labourers about privilege . It just summed up what I was increasingly seeing at the time in SF, a movement that was becoming dominated by arrogant middle class ideologues, who were always talking about the working class but were aloof snobs.

The left today are like the priests of old, screaming from the pulpit about sin, all are sinners, anyone who doesn't go along with their heavenly vision is evil and they are nearly always now from the top third of society.

Post edited by Danzy on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭growleaves

You are well out of order telling me I'm "probably a Holocaust denier" and probably anti-Semitic, with no basis. I've reported your post and won't be engaging with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The modern Left have moved on from class.

It's an uncomfortable topic for them and one that will lead to a dead end of people pointing out that the left across the world today are dominated by the very well to do.

What's the point of narcissists adopting a position where they cannot condemn others?

This is not the 80s or 90s

Exactly, which is why this SPHE business is purely political in how it arbitrarily classifies “ privilege “

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,504 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

To the privileged, equality is a massive loss in status.

People are terrified of immigration because it's extra competition for resources, meanwhile we set up the global economy to funnel resources away from the 'developing countries'

Recognising privilege is not about blame or guilt. It's about not being an arrogant prick who thinks they deserve all of their wealth and success by being a fundamentally better person, while simultaneously thinking of less successful people as 'scrotes' or 'scumbags'

There is offensive wealth out there in the upper middle classes that needs to be called out. Bringing race into it muddies the waters. It's about money and wealth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Ive a brother who was born disabled. He gets to park closer to the door of the supermarket than 99% of the population.

Maybe he should apologize for that privileged. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

I want privilege though, why are we all of sudden expected to tacitly buy into this masochistic notion that we shouldn't have one up over other people. Is life not long series of attempts at accruing various forms of privilege through our deeds? Give me all the privilege I can get please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,680 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

If people study more than others, and devote more time and effort to their education and employment, surely they deserve higher income and assets? That is effort, not privilege.

So it’s effectively religious moralising of a new stripe and instead of priests cutting us down to size from the pulpit, we have folks like you to deliver a much needed sermon

• Advertisement

If you want a pure meritocracy then you would advocate 100% inheritance tax and the abolition of all private schools.

If you disagree with the above then you recognise that parents who are successful pass on privileged access to resources to their children

Do you know what religion even is?

All I'm saying is 'Try not to be a massive dick'

Is that too much for you?

not sure if serious. why are you trying to bring ethnicity into this? after this many pages, you're still apparently wilfully misinterpreting the point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

What I think is actually hilarious are all the virtuous people profiling other people by race, age and sex all the time (white, middle aged, males in the case of this thread).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,098 ✭✭✭Augme

Never seen so butt hurt in one thread. 😂

I know that you are espousing religion, the religion of woke , I also know where you can stick you’re sermon

Don’t worry about it, the kind of ( otherwise unemployable) folks who sermonise about privilege are perfectly content to exist in a cushy role themselves, tenured social studies professors in various universities, IE tax payer funded guaranteed jobs

like the priests of old , they just enjoy lecturing others , the new clergy

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭anplaya27

Theres inequality of opportunity everywhere no matter what. You cant pigeonhole everyone into same box as there are far too many multiple diverse backgrounds within this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Doc07

Not being a dick is woke now? Well I never….

Advertisement