Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 Amp Socket Covers

Options
  • 23-08-2023 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi All

In the process of childproofing before mine start walking, I have socket covers for the normal sockets, but I cannot find socket covers for 5 amp sockets. Can anybody recommend somewhere that I can get these please? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Is the general consensus these days not that socket covers increase danger rather than decrease?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Was about to post the same thing. From this article:

Commonly sold as safety accessories, socket covers are unregulated - they come in many different sizes and shapes and therefore rarely fit sockets correctly.

The use of covers negates existing safety measures in the form of protective shutters, exposing the live electrical contacts. Covers can come loose or be easily removed by children, resulting in risk of electrocution.

Covers can also damage the socket, which may lead to overheating and risk of fire.

As of June, the DoH requires that ‘13A electrical socket inserts should not be used in health or social care premises, nor supplied for use in a home or residence’, and that ‘any socket inserts currently in use should be withdrawn and responsibly disposed of.

Also: Parents are warned about the dangers of using socket covers | HerFamily.ie

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

What do we use 5amp sockets for in ireland? lights?

Advertisement