Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2023 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Ged139

As I found out from my physio calf pain and Achilles pain are all linked back to our glutes and hamstrings getting right so you may need to get physio in that area also not drinking enough water and electrolytes can cause this type of pain as your muscles may be dehydrated.ive also been advised to do 40 squats a day to help keep everything loose.hope this info helps you out

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Try and make sure you get as much rest as possible this week considering how tired you were last week! Good luck with the HM at the weekend.

Your 45 mins for gels doesn't seem excessive to me, on long runs if be about the same and I'd be every 35 to 40 mins in the marathon, which reminds me I need a trip to Denstone decathlon for a top up of gels myself!

Ah that is not great to hear, look after yourself now and recover from the chest infection. Hope it clears up for you by the end of the week.

Sorry to hear that, keep an eye on it and book in a physio if it is not clearing up. Can you remind me again which plan you are on as I don't remember a 10k PMP and 10 Mile Tempo LR during a single week on the boards plan or were you substituting the FD 10 mile for a 10 Mile Tempo run?

It's a very hard injury to shift especially during a marathon block. Listen to the advice you got from the physio and (in my non medical opinion) try to keep off any speed work as that was giving me issues.

• Advertisement

And so to WEEK 9 

Well done for getting this far, hopefully everyone is feeling good about their training but don't be disheartened if you are feeling it now. As I mentioned above what we are doing is really abnormal, you've part of the 1% here of people who ever attempt this. At this stage it is very normal to be feeling tired, have some niggles, have some training runs that are really meh and also to want to chuck it in, but don't, we're nearly there, keep the show on the road, keep getting out (slowly!!) and keep racking up the miles.

It is great to see all the race reports coming in from the FD 10 mile - everybody will have learnt something from the day and if you didn't race it don't worry, there is still quite a bit to go and another chance to race before the big day. Also please remember, the marathon IS the big day, everything you are doing between now and then is just preparation for it, you're not aiming for PB's necessarily or even for a perfect race, it is just practice, a learning experience and to get you both mentally and physically ready.

If it went well congrats but try and write down what went well, what didn't go well, what you think you'd like to do different next time. Decathlon seem to be having a field day with all the gear the boardies are buying, did all the gear, gels, water bottles etc work out, do you need to swap anything? How about the Bra's, are they settled? Strangely I've found that one of my 3 pairs of identical shorts are chafing me.......

Week 10 looks like this:

Plan |Monday |Tuesday |Wednesday |Thursday |Friday |Saturday |Sunday

HHN1|rest|3m easy|6m easy|3m easy|rest|14m lsr|rest

Boards|rest,cross or 3m rec|4m easy|1m w/u, 6m pace, 1m c/d|4m easy|rest,cross or 3m rec|16m lsr|2m rec

It's the highest mileage week yet for both plans, and the long runs enter uncharted territory too.

If you were racing at the weekend be watchful, particularly early in the week. Your legs will be tired so listen to your body and don't be afraid to skip or cut short an easy run if required. Just be honest with yourself. If you have a niggle, see how it's feeling, don't push it if it's at you and look to getting a physio appointment.

Again well done to all who raced & those who completed their plans. Very best of luck this week😊

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Club Plan|Track|rest|Track|rest|rest|28km|rest

Actual|track|rest|track|rest|rest|28km|rest

I've noticed that so far I'm fairly sticking to my training plan - I've trained for a number of races over the years and never stuck to a plan properly. Probably to do with the fact that I'm feeling so much support at the moment - Novice thread here, my athletics club, my "marathon wife", and my husband and son. Even my mother in law asks after my training every week, bless her. Come the beginning of Sept life will be changing up for me and work will be getting busier so hopefully I can keep my head in the game.

I'm finding the Monday track sessions hard now I'm with the advanced group - legs and body are tired. I got to train with my old group on Weds eve and found that my pace seems to have picked up a little and I quite enjoyed not trailing last around the track for a change.

Long run on Sat 28km - was apprehensive about it. Felt that any run lately over 21km I've struggled after that distance and wondering if half marathon is my max distance? But the person I was running with was just getting over being sick so I was feeling mindful of her. But we looked after each other (she's a seasoned marathon runner) and it was a good long run, route could have been described as "undulating" but felt like a good training run. Also there were no issues with the running bra which I'm delighted about, no chaffing with the damp and sweat.

Total for the week 42.5km. Also did 2 workouts, a pilates session and a walk on Sun to stretch the legs out.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Legits

I am doing the hnh plan for my lsr but added in the pmp as it doesn't really seem to have any variation. Probably a mistake but thinking now after readings Ged comments I may have been a little dehydrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭nullObjects

(Boards Plan)

Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not? 

Yes, hamstring niggle seems to be gone for now at least too. Getting some stretching and leg focused gym sessions in on the cross training days, think that's probably helping as long as I don't overdo it. 

Did you run the runs at an appropriate pace? 

Yes, although ran the first 5 or 6k of the 10 mile a too fast. Was a lovely day and I got carried along with the crowd at the start, at the half marathon I'll try to be more strict with pacing. 

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

You may have mentioned it already but what is typically contained in an "advanced track session"?

• Advertisement

You and me both! Take it as a learning and apply it to the HM and then the Marathon ;-) Great to hear the niggle has cleared up

Question about runners:

My Strava popped up with a notice yesterday to say that I've 600km in my shoes. I've been wearing them since April. They look and feel ok. I don't really want to change them and worry about a new pair not suiting as the pair I wore before them even though they were the same make and model, just didn't agree with me after a few months.

Please tell me that my current shoes should be ok for the marathon??

My club does 2 sittings - the "fit 4 life" group and the more "advanced" group. I've been in Fit4Life since I joined beginning of last year. I moved up recently when a friend looked to join but they only had availability in the advanced group so I said I'd keep her company. I find with the advanced group the warm ups are a bit longer, the intervals might be longer or more of them and the training session seems to go on a little longer. Main thing is the pace of the session is quicker - while we might be doing say 10k pace - my 10k pace is slower than others in the advanced group so I'm feeling a little out of my depth.

Overall our training sessions are generally tempo sessions eg 4 x 8 mins, 3 x 10mins; or speed sessions eg 400s, 90sec on/off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

The general rule of thumb is is 500-800kms out of a runner, some people will get more or less.

I have a pair that are starting to be end of life at 500km, but I'm heavy and pretty slow so 500k for me would a lot more work on the shoes than most people. I can see the foam not fully bouncing back (there is almost wrinkles on them) and on my lsr 2 weeks ago my feet started to be sore after the half marathon distance, I switched to my newer runners for the weekend lsr just past and didn't have the same issue.

EDIT: just checked them there and the foam not bouncing back thing doesn't seem as bad as it did a few weeks ago, I was using them 5 times a week then and have since been rotating them with the new pair so only using 2 or 3 times a week.

I have about 600km left in my training plan between now and DCM , plus the marathon itself.

Assuming you have something similar, I think it would be pretty risky to assume your current ones will last to 1200km.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You have a lot of mileage left between now and the marathon so you will definitely want to get a new pair at some stage before the marathon. I think Nike offer free refunds within a certain timeframe of buying them if they don't suit you. Not sure how reliable that is or even if Nike would suit you as they tend to be a bit on the narrow side.

Thanks a mil. I don't think I'm hard wearing on my runners at least. But all the same, I may have to start shopping around for a new pair. I wear Brooks Glyercins which aren't cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭MiniMonstera

Thanks @MisterJinx 😃 I did have a great race and I need to keep saying that to myself. I took away a lot of learning points too and that's what it's all about at this stage, isn't it?

Last week I completed 4 runs (nrtmally try to do 6), total mileage 35.4km. I had planned 2 rest days but also ended up taking Friday off too, not on purpose or to intentionally taper, I just had so much on that day I literally forgot until it was too late and I had zero energy. I think it probably helped me for the race, so no regrets.

I've only done a 10 miler once, same race in 2022, so I hadn't got much to go on by way of comparison. Race jitters on Thurs and Friday had me completely questioning myself (and on here) whether I should race it at all, or just go for marginal improvement. However I woke up on Saturday with 90 minutes in mind (just based off of giving 5.35pkm pace a shot). I didn't get a great sleep thanks to Storm Betty banging the tree in our garden off the bedroom wall for most of the night, was woken abruptly at 2am for a good hour with it, but I still felt ok. Whilst I was very well prepared in terms of my gear and bag etc., I didn't really think about breakfast and just ate a banana. I had plain double espresso (medicinal - did the trick 🤭) and we got the kids up and went. I understimated the stress of getting 3 kids up and out for 7am also. By the time we got to the park I was ravenous. Ate another banana with seconds to go before the race. As a result I ended up not taking the gel.

I knew the first 4 km were downhill a bit so wanted to stay close to my goal pace as possible and I managed that. I knew 5th km would be tough and it was!

Passed husband on the bit that overlaps with the faster runners and high fived. Still felt ok. Totally forgot about 90 min pacer and just focused on watch pace and picking off each km as it came, couldn't think further along than that. All of a sudden I got a bang in the head and it was the 90min pacer balloon, pacer was on my heels! Sped up with a good degree of ease, picked a good few people off, and held that for 3km, but as pacer was closer to me I started to go downhill mentally (and maybe not taking a gel was coming home to roost). It was mad. Pacer was chatting and laughing with runners and they were chatting back with ease. I on the either hand was holding on by a thread and so I found the whole thing very off putting, and I think I've learned pacing is not for me. I was too distracted by how effortless it was for them. I pulled off to the side and let them pass and had a 10 second wobble. A woman pulled me straight back in, and I was back up at pace in no time. So it wasn't a bonk as I was able to finish, it was a mental thing. Still, I beat myself up about it (as per). I saw the second pacer and knew that must be fellow boardsie @Murph_D, but I was in no state to say hello. I let him run on too and just allowed the pressure of 90 mins to fade away. The last couple kms were a death run. I felt really slow and clunky, so the effort had really begun to sting. Made it through finish and actually felt quite weird for a couple of mins - nauseous, light headed, phlegmy. I think the sun and wind knocked it out of me. Had to sit down even though grass was soaking. Then it lifted and I felt really good.

So, I need to better prepare breakfast wise, and also I don't think pacing is my jive. Good to know. I caught up with the pacer and thanked her for a great run, she was full of positive energy.

Considering I went all out I have absolutely no niggles, which is deadly. I definitely have doms, but that's fine. I did an extra km on recovery run as endorphins were mega, and yesterday, well yesterday I had to cut my run short as our eldest fell in the playground and broke her arm. Wouldn't move until I got there. Cue me pegging it back to car (at appropriate pace of course, mentors😄) and rushing to her aid. 5 hours in a&e and she has a cast, which she's delighted about, just in time for our seaside holiday on Thurs 🙃

Lads, I could write a book on this summer, truly.

P.s. I tracked the lady down on Facebook who pulled me back into the race and thanked her for her help. She was delighted to hear from me and how well I did on last year, which ended up being a minute per mile improvement 😃. Also I had an even split, with only 15 seconds between the two race legs. Apparently that's good 😃

Post edited by MiniMonstera on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

I used to run in the Glycerins and got 800-1000Kms from them. As they got to the 600/700Km mark, I would use them for the shorter runs. I would use a new(er) pair for the longer runs. This will extend the life out of them. They are an expensive runner but I found them to last longer than Ghosts at the time.

Have a look here: https://www.michaelmurphysports.ie/ They have them "reasonably" priced compared to their RRP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭nullObjects

I have a cheaper pair I use on the shorter runs and try to leave my good pair for the long slow run, hopefully they'll last me to the marathon but I was thinking the same after I saw the mileage started to add up for them on Strava

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

I've said it befor & I'll say it again Strava really only gives a snippet of a race! That's a brilliant race report, makes the PB all the more special seeing exactly how hard you worked for it. Don't write yourself off yet for the pacing bit, it takes time & practice both of which I'm still doing🤣

I hope your little one is ok now & hope yis enjoy the break away😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great account of the Frank Duffy, you ran very well considering the difficulties.

Not sure if you realise but the 90 min pacers started at the very front of Wave 2, so you must have started in Wave 1 if we were behind you for the first half of the race. So really you were running at more like 92 min pace for the whole race, so it's not surprising at all that you were passed by the group (sorry for not spotting and recognising you). 😳

In fact your nice even splits show that you are well capable of staying with a pace group - just not one that's running a little too fast for you on the day. I'd say 90 would have been a little too much last Saturday based on your account, so there is nothing about your run that you should not be proud of, it's a very good time and bodes well for your marathon.

@MiniMonstera yes, right now it's all about the learning and what a great race report. You executed a great race, learn loads and I hope you have taken confidence from it.

@Sunny Dayz Yes I agree with the others that you will probably need to get another pair into your rotation as the current ones probably won't make it to marathon day. @witnessmenow has a good process there for getting a new pair into the rotation by first using them on shorter runs and then moving them to longer runs. Typically most new trainers don't need "breaking in" however you do want to make sure that there are no issues with them so testing them on the shorter runs and then a few long runs should ensure that there are no issues with them. There are usually deals on all trainers online if you look around, I use sportshoes.com , 365rider and sometimes lifestyle sport or Elvery's depending on who has the best sale at the time!

@Legits just be careful with adding in stuff into any plan at this stage. I'm guessing at this point you are running more frequently and higher mileage than you have ever run before. Deciding then to add in more faster work on top of recording breaking long runs or weekly mileage isn't sensible. While it might have been a bit of dehydration it could also have been your body telling you to back off.

@nullObjects pacing is an art. It is very easy to get carried away at the start of a race so do take the learning forward. I know @skyblue46 is a big proponent of a very easy start to races and it works really well for him. Next time to practice is the HM and I'm sure you'll nail it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Out of my surgery recovery period so feel I can ask questions now 😀

I did my first MP/"pace" session today @ 5:20/km. That pace was based on where my fitness was back in June (when my 10k pace was 4:34/km), but with six weeks of no running it seems I've lost about 20s/km for the same HR (I did a very similar run on Jun 7 and did ~5:00/km for the same HR profile).

Today at 5:20/km my HR drifted up slowly to around 165bpm, just under what I think my lactate threshold is. It took the whole 10km to get there, but clearly there's no way that's sustainable over a marathon.

I'm expecting to revise my pace expectations for the marathon itself, but in the meantime, how should I run these "pace" sessions, from an HR perspective? Is it normal for there to be this much upwards drift? Should I back the next one off by, say, 20s/km and see what happens, or just truck along at 5:20 each week and see if my fitness improves?

edit: I just calculated HRR-based ranges using the formulae for Marathon-Pace runs in the Advanced Marathoning book and got 149-163bpm, and funnily enough those are the average HRs for the first and last kms of the pace session, so...it's fine?

Post edited by Lumen on

I did 4k in zone 1 on Monday and 5k in Zone 1 on Tuesday and Calf felt perfect, so returned to a proper easy run this morning 10k at zone 2 avg hr of 130.

My calf felt fine during the run but now feels a little tender so I think my body is pushing back I am very nervous about trying to do a long run this weekend Im considering skipping the long run and doing a 2 hour cycle instead or should I just do it really slow for the time on the feet.

Have you seen a good physio yet about this? In my experience of exercise-related injuries, hiding from them (by backing off) doesn't help, it just kicks the can down the road, you have to get on top of them with an accurate diagnosis and appropriate strengthening exercises.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I just switched teams in work recently and they have decided to do a group meet-up in the US, you guessed it, the week of the marathon! It would be a great opportunity to meet people as a lot of the team are based in the US, but there is no way to make it happen without massively impacting DCM.

The running would be fine, its only a couple of runs that week anyways, but the impact it would have on my sleeping and eating would not be something I could work around. I can't sleep on planes either so I'd be coming home Friday or Saturday morning absolutely exhausted.

So I have had to tell them I can't go, an unexpected sacrifice of doing the Marathon!

I have my training done for the week now, just waiting to do the half at race pace on Saturday. Not super looking forward to it to be honest. I haven't done any running at the pace I'm aiming to do the half (6:00/km) and with a very minimal taper (1 additional rest day basically), I'm not sure if that is possible. We'll soon find out I suppose!

I guess that is the negative about a plan based purely on easy running with some MP runs once every 2 weeks, I can feel how its benefiting me fitness wise, but I've no idea what it's doing for speed! (I know a fitter me will equal a faster me, but I don't know how fast or how long I can sustain this "faster" pace)

I'm not sure about your HR reading and whether they are correct or not however for your training "pace" runs I would work off effort and not a pace, however you define that effort. With a big gap in training there for you then you couldn't expect to be holding the same pace so holding the same effort is what you need to do. There are still 10 weeks to go so that pace should improve over the course of those weeks.

P.S. to your edit, those numbers are very similar to my own, I cannot vouch for how correct they are however it does align with my own experience however to have accurate HR zones and data there are a lot of things you need to have right including accurate testing in a lab etc so you cannot take my word for it.

I havent yet just happened I will schedule a session but wont be until next week with how my days are.

OK, thanks. I guess in terms of perceived effort I was comfortable throughout so it must have been much less than 10k effort (begging for it to end after 30 mins).

So if worst case I'm doing the pace runs at HM pace then that's not so bad as I have the Kilkenny half in 3 1/2 weeks' time.

Going to try not to fret about eventual marathon pace and focus on keeping my easy runs easy.

• Advertisement

Yes, focus on keeping the easy runs easy but also just focus on effort for your "pace session" - really the increase in mileage and aerobic fitness you gain over the next 10 weeks is what will increase your pace, not those pace sessions themselves, you really don't need to push them, just get yourself a gear or 2 above easy effort wise.

Advertisement