Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Hi, the rates are already there. If someone can send me the standing charges by DM I can update.

Please also keep an arguments as to why our rates are so high off this thread, it is BA afterall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭TheRona

I've also had a similar offer from Bord Gais of 41% off gas, but only 5% off electricity on dual fuel. We have an electric car, so it's really the electricity price we want lower, and it appears that the only way we get the gas discount is to stick with them for dual fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Blinked_Missed It

Just off the phone to Bord Gais (1pm 23.08.2023 for reference). I'm on dual fuel with the 39% off gas and elec offer last year. Contract expiring 31.08. For others info they offered

44% off gas

12% off electricity

But that offer only stands if going dual fuel again. If I only went with BG for gas the offer was 12% off and the CSR said the max offer for gas only on the system presently was 14%. Flogas still appears to be the better offer at the moment depending on your gas/elec usage ratio.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭lionmqj

Just signed up to the BWG plan.

I am rural and have a day and night rate standard meter. I have received the email confirming my sign-up.

I'll DM the moderator with the rates for this as soon as I know, unless someone already knows before me here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

looks like the BWG link is gone again. the link on first post is redirecting to their general pricing for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭jvrk

So can't get flogas offer as on a active smart meter got the email this morning they cancelled. This it what bord gais offering is worth saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭bren2001

The night rate is more expensive then the 24 hours rate with FloGas 😯

Smart tariffs are such bad value.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭bren2001

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭P_Cash

I signed up this morning also, standard electricity.

I only received an email like this, no mention of rates anywhere

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your application to switch your energy supply to Flogas. You will receive a welcome pack in the next 14 working days. this link will have T&C which you have agreed to during sign up.

Should you change your mind, you can cancel the switch within 14 days of agreeing to the contract by contacting cancellations or by completing and returning the form.

etc

Signed up last week, no immediate email confirmation or anything in post, perhaps because I'm not coming from another company. My existing Flogas contract comes up 2/9.

Anyway, emailed them last week, didn't mention the plan just that I signed up for a new plan and today I get this. Asked them to confirm rates so as I used the BWG dual fuel link I should fingers crossed be getting those. They seem to have made it effective yesterday when they presumably processed it too.

Good afternoon Sheepshagger,

I can confirm your renewal request has been received.

The renewal rates are applied on the account from the date of acceptance.

Your new contract start date is 22/8/23 and contract end date is 21/8/24.

If you have any further queries don’t hesitate to ask.

Kind Regards,

• Advertisement

Links removed, we can post new ones if/when they appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bobcatboo123

They really are. I'm raging I went on a smart tariff with EI without actually knowing I was being put on one.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Shauna677

The wost thing abput the smart meters is peak time hours between 5 & 7pm, particular for families, coming home from.school, work etc being charged nearly 50 cents a unit for their electricity. Absolutely shockingly unfair. Considering most of us were only paying 16 cents few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Or .38c if you got on the Smart offer from Flogas.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Cameraman

I'm in a very similar position with Energia. Similar consumption to you, and the best they will offer me is 15% off their standard rates. However, their standing charges are not bad compared to some others.

I am inclined to go for their offer. If something better comes along within 14 days, I can cancel free. If someone else drops their rates drastically, it will be worth paying the break fee. I am also banking on some political pressure forcing a rate reduction, hence not so much to gain from tying myself into a fixed rate (though the same break/pay logic also applies there).

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Shamo

Turns out you have to take the dual fuel offer to get the 38% gas discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Shauna677

A ploy to stop the exodus to Flogas, the Flogas DWG gas offer was only a cent or so more per Kwh so Flogas gas/electriciyy deal was much better offer overall. Hopefully it comes back in some form or other in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

What happens if you take the offer and move the electricity account at a later time. Will they up your gas rate or just charge the €50 exit fee for the electricty?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the appearance of some of these under-the-counter offers is hopefully a precursor to the return of actual competition in the market. With summer coming to an end, people are going to be more focussed on their bills. If govt politicians are saying they expect prices to start coming down, they'll look somewhat silly if it doesn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,091 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I was with Energia before I moved to Flogas a few weeks ago. They made the same 15% off offer stating that was the most they could do. Low and behold they rang again a week later (after I moved to Flogas) and offered a 20% discount. I didn't go back near them because the percentage discount I had been on went from 40 down to 15 and then up to 20 but they also increased their unit rate by 4 cents.

but if you wanted to stay and get a better discount you could sign up with Flogas first and wait for a call like I got...hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I got offered 20% and €50 euro today to stop the switch from energia. Been with them for 3 years, Guy was very friendly on the phone, and asked who was I moving to, and before I could answer he said "flogas? would that be the community plan?" - Also offered to backdate anything to my contract up date at the end of july. (doesnt matter to me, only a handful of day and about 20 night.. charged the car up too much one night!)

There must be a mass exodus from energia, and only going to increase in the next 2 weeks as a lot of people started to move this time last year with the price hikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,985 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It begs the question of many customers have flogas signed up under these plans that it is clearly on the radar of other providers...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

So is the deal gone with flogas? , I'm BG on the dual fuel 39% got offered the 42/12% dual fuel but it's the Lecky that kills me I'm very efficient on gas. Not due to end contract til mid sept.

Post edited by Str8outtaWuhan on

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Cameraman

I did mention that I'd heard some people were getting better offers, but no movement - yet ! I will try them again once I'm out of contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Blarney_man

If anyone worked in a call center they would know how these things work. That's why it was important NOT TO CALL THEM. Once you have spike in calls and/or emails and/or chats, it starts investigation. You go and deep dive why is it happening. In this case their IT team could clearly see where all the traffic is coming from, and by the looks of it all other providers knew of the FloGas offers. So yeah, next time it comes up, MAKE SURE YOU RING THEM AND ASK AS MANY QUESTIONS AS YOU CAN! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bobcatboo123

I didn't call them. Not sure why you have quoted my post. I asked if anyone had availed of the smart offer by phoning them. Those with an activated smart meter could not sign up to these plans online.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Right on, caller! ☎️ 📞 ☎️ ☎️📞 ☎️ ☎️📞 ☎️ ☎️📞 ☎️ ☎️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭John arse

Interesting that the other providers are starting to finally move downwards, keep posting folks!👍👍👍

• Registered Users Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Who are moving downwards? Some are increasing the percentage discount on offer but raising the before discount price...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Blarney_man

Advertisement