Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Used to always laugh when I saw Russell Crowe on the late late, and this bullsh*t bond Tubs spoke about them having.

Tubs indulged the mans ego, let him play his crap music. No wonder he agreed to be a guest. I'd imagine any other reputable show only wanted Russell Crowe the actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Tell it to me arse

I’m surprised there has been no mention of the reiteration of RTs possible attempts to go down the legal route Vs RTE in the news recently. I would have thought a man with a bit more of an supposedly open worldview like him might hop on a plane and prove us naysayers wrong by going to the States and becoming a chat show host over there, the very thing he based his media persona on here in Ireland. No better way to prove the naysayers wrong than making it in the land of show business. 

But he has reiterated his inclination to go down the legal route. This sums up his whole persona in one sentence as a bully. He’s bullying the public into his view by going legal. He’s also writing off his chances of ever having a career here or elsewhere. RTE won’t touch him if he goes legal with them. He is writing off the next three years if he goes legal. 

Starting a career in the US would take time to make a break. A 60 year old presenter from Ireland making it would be a miracle story so it is unlikely to happen ever. I had hoped he would do it but he is digging his heels in the doubling down. The UK is not his cup of tea he will never lower his level of life to restart over there. He will be toxic if he goes legal in Ireland. We already know he hasn’t broken the law so what he’s hoping to get out of it I don’t know. His reputation is damaged because of his failure to read the public and he got greedy.

He still hasn’t learned and for me it sums up the FF mindset almost perfectly. Spin your way out of every crisis, control the narrative, media and ancillary cultural organisations and control power. FF have armies of historians controlling the narrative in this country. Someone on another thread blamed the property crisis on PDs for loosening regulations on building in Ireland in the 90’s. Literally, the gall to claim this. They have every position hedged and they take both sides of every argument and are feeling they don’t control the narrative here in this situation. 

So Ryan is throwing the toys out of the pram and going the legal route because there is an inherent need to dominate and prove yourself right. If they control the narrative they control power. Ryan hasn’t learned about being humble. It doesn’t factor or come into the equation in anything for FF people. Dominate, hedge your way out of positions by taking both sides. Overpower your opponents like many Blackrock men do and control the narrative. Tubridy needs to learn he doesn’t rule over this society or country and eat humble pie. Like the rest of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

he has reiterated his inclination to go down the legal route.

Where are you getting this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭stevejr

It's hard to see him ever regaining the levels of renumeration he enjoyed at RTE.

Like the man who fell into a hole full of tits and came up sucking his thumb.

If a person doesn't have the humility within themselves to realise how lucky they are in life, then they are usually doomed to failure.

Lack of self-awareness leaves a person crippled. Blind to opportunity, deaf to good sense and unfeeling to the sensitives of others.

It's a Greek tragedy for him. Tubridy will struggle unless he has some sort of epiphany, a damascene conversion or whaetever you want to call it.

Sadly, I don't think life has given him the tools he needs to succeed on his own.

What's the reason for being reasonable?

Is that an unreasonable question?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Patrick Kielty will illustrate just how dreadful Tubridy was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The best Tubridy can hope for is Ireland AM on Virgin Media. Less pay and less holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,632 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

That Martin king lad bigging RT up on insta.

Wonder if a move to Ballymount on the cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Tell it to me arse

There has been a raft of articles saying he could go down the legal route. OK I put two together and said he was going down that route in my post I should have clarified it was only suggestion. I was in stream of thought and got carried away in my wording.

let me edit the paragraph where I said that below:

But it has been reiterated he might go down the legal route. This sums up his whole persona in one sentence as a bully. He’s bullying the public into his view by going legal. He’s also writing off his chances of ever having a career here or elsewhere. RTE won’t touch him if he goes legal with them. He is writing off the next three years if he goes legal. 

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Tubbs latest update is Dissappointing.

His way of saying "wait a sec, ive an ace up my sleeve!;"

This is not a Gaeity Panto where Tubbs was cast as the villain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭stevejr

When all you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Unfortunately for Kelly, the aggressiveness that's served him well thus far is the same thing that will undo him in the end.

As another poster said "there's a time to kick ass and a time to lick ass". Noel Kelly doesn't have great political instincts. That rat-like instinct for self preservation that all successful politicians need. That nose for the direction of the wind that's blowing your ship onto the rocks.

He's misjudged this situation entirely but he won't accept it. He doesn't know what a Sunk-Cost Fallacy is, so like the desperate gambler... he's continuing to drop money in the mistaken belief that he can rescue the situation.

What's the reason for being reasonable?

Is that an unreasonable question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,131 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Toy Show the Musical sets are in storage somewhere... maybe RT could make an offer.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

A deal is close. Personal terms agreed. Ryan ready to travel to Ballymount on the Vespa for medical.

I’ve a strong feeling that this will be the case.

I’ve a strong feeling that this will be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

if there is a more talentless lad around the airwaves than Tubridy my money is on Martin King

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

Ryan may just like photographing coastlines. His next pan shot could very well be of Galway Bay to the sound of Fleetwood Mac's "Go Your Own Way".

Could it be that he's listening to Rumours?

Stay Tuned.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Watch this space with baited breath

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

• Registered Users Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

100%

Likes of Tubs show had hundreds of thousands of listeners already with the radio on from Morning Ireland and simply didn't turn it over.

Same for LiveLine. The show will get listeners irrespective of the host.

If Tubs, D'Arcy and Duffy bring in so much money, how come a few of their shows went without sponsors for long periods of time? Surely advertisers would be falling over themselves to book slots in the show?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

If Tubs, D'Arcy and Duffy bring in so much money, how come a few of their shows went without sponsors for long periods of time? Surely advertisers would be falling over themselves to book slots in the show?

Exactly.

That argument and the rubbish peddled by RTE for far too many years, about how the 'talent' would go elsewhere if not paid vast salaries, are now both completely dead in the water.

It also looks like neither the public or RTÉ are willing to hold onto this “talent” at any cost.

Duffy is lucky, he’s approaching the end of his goldmine anyway; BOC will keep his head down and say nutt’in. Miriam doesn’t have such a hectic schedule anyway with RTÉ ( who does sez you) - she gets 263k I think for her trouble - I’m fairness she’s better and more capable than most in there so wouldn’t begrudge it

280k for Claire Byrne and 250k for Ray Darcy

I think all of them have taken pay cuts in recent years so those salaries a very low compared to what they were but even then, it’s way too much for the jobs they do .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Jesus, I read a few of the responses to his Istagram post, mainly from women it looks like, all full of pity for poor Tubs. He certainly fooled some.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

I would laugh for a week if Virgin were to offer him a Friday night chatshow in an attempt to steal the market share out from underneath RTE and scupper Kielty. TV3 gave one to Dunphy many moons ago. I honestly don't think anyone in Ballymount could be so mad as to risk it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

My god but the man just doesn't know when to stop.

I guess humility was never a option.

Nor knowing when to back away and think.

If virgin do take him, they're truly welcome to him.

It would be complete bonkers to go up against TLLS, not least because PK is new and shiney but even that aside, TLLS will have a few hundred thousand viewers regardless of presenter- it definitely won’t be that as there’s a very limited viewership on a Friday night at 9-11.

I don’t think this will be a TV “show” per se- it will be an independent production, possibly being sold/shown on BBC first.

I don’t think it will be radio simply because it’s just too soon since last weeks news- but given he left TLLS months ago and had planned to go even longer, I think it will be TV but a documentary rather than a live chat show thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Hopefully Simon Harris will continue his strategy in the fact that he wants to hear “what RTE propose to do to sort out this crisis” rather that what the GOvt can do.

These stults are on their own now , had it high on the hog for way too long, even the fohhking pundits are

working the system.

The taxpayer has had enough of these grifters.

Yep if ever there was a chance for the minister of communications or any minister for that matter to put the boot in to RTE now is the perfect time - start the way you wish to continue with this new shower of idiots - don’t give them an inch- if they object sack them!

• Advertisement

I have it!

Is the position “Chairman of the Road Safety Authority” vacant right now?

😀

But seriously wouldn’t be surprised if there was a special presidential appointed position if there’s such a thing given the amount of time he’s spent with Higgins

UN special envoy with responsibility for children growth and development- or if that’s not possible, Irish Human Rights commission -

final answer. Let’s see how close I am

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement