Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I assume you are also in favour of moving back to our pre renewables fantasy era whereby generation was centralised and far more easily managed? Why have 100's of tiny independent mom and pop wind farms randomly scattered around the country leeching off the governments tit when we can just have far larger thermal plants that can be easily controlled and offer reliability and capacity factors that renewables couldn't give in their wildest dreams.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭xl500

It's simple say 10 farms of 70 acres that's 700 acres make it one farm with I farmer and 9 employees they now produce the same but they are employees paying tax prsi etc etc not 10 getting handouts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭roosterman71

We don't need to imagine. There are lots of rules around storage of slurry, spreading periods, weather impacting being allowed spread, buffer zones, etc. Plus the inspections by the department, Bord Bia, processors, EPA, councils, etc. Comparing septic tanks with slurry when they aren't comparable is foolish. Don't bother imagining the threat, quantify it there. Also, the slurry stuff is being restricted even more with more storage requirements and shorter spreading periods plus increased buffer zones.

The thing is we may not need the widgets, but you do need to eat. Hence why many towns and villages the length and breadth of the country have been decimated as there is no industry there.

Rural votes account for most of the population.

Taxpayers don't cover production costs. They are incentives for improving environmental practices. The funding was decoupled from productions around 30 years ago. The # of farms has no bearing on the funding. If 10 farms amalgamated then the payout would be the same as it's based on amount of hectares and the environmental schemes undertaken.

Less units may produce the same amount of food, but ya'd still have the same issues plus more people on social welfare and even less life in rural areas.

But the herd is static for over 40 years.

Profits by power companies are mental due to the way pricing works and that the unit price is dictated by the most expensive input. This is now gas. Though gas prices have fallen drastically, you are not seeing it in your bills. Comparing the millions in profits where there's a windfall tax coming to target with the 17000 odd dairy farmers who make a modest profit is some serious mental gymnastics. Remember too that the farm profits are 90% spent in the community and not lining shareholder pockets of power companies. We have good info on power company profits. Care to show the dairy farm profits (top tip, don't use figures from Teagasc as they don't account for labour or any land rental)?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭prunudo

Considering the environmental mess this country has been brought to by the lack of backbone by the other political parties I actually think the greens are trying to save the country

This is what happens when the media pump out constant environmental fear. Ireland may be many things but it certainly isn't an environmental mess. Could things be improved, of course, but it is a great place to live and generally the environment isn't a problem here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Re the tillage element. Nitrate release happens when carbon levels in soil are reduced. Carbon holds Nitrogen in soil. When you plough or till you expose the carbon in the soil to oxygen in the atmosphere this gases off via oxidising bacteria to form CO2. The carbon gases off which leaves the nitrates that the carbon held to leach.

A typical Irish soil under permanent pasture is 9 or 10% organic matter. There's soils now under constant tillage that are coming back 2,3,4% organic matter. That's from the carbon lost to the atmosphere by tilling. There's no organic matter or carbon in the soils to hold nitrates. So it just leaches away.

We had some progress to promote min till and cover crops to build up of carbon and hold nitrates and not be at the mercy of the merchants and Vladimir Putin in not buying artificial nitrogen and holding onto more of the soil nitrates. But there's recent kick back by the conventional tillage community subversed by industry to stay the same.

Ballycarney and Athy districts have the highest nitrates release in the country. When you spray cides too you harm the soil life. That soil life is made up of carbon and nitrogen. It's two pronged damage from tilling and cides.

To hold Nitrate you need a constant plant and root in the ground, not be damaging the soil or life, keep that carbon in the soil.

Another point. A warming climate means higher nitrate release and lower soil carbon build up or growth. Higher temperatures. Ground dries up and air gets to soil carbon, organic matter, oxidises off to Co2 and the nitrates move.

There's a reason why we have the highest soil carbon stocks in Europe in agricultural soils along with Finland. Same reason why we are just behind Finland in water quality. Carbon stocks and farming systems.

• Advertisement

I'll stand corrected on the river talk. Overall there has been a degradation between the last 2 monitoring periods, but lakes have improved.

Interesting tit bit is that Cork has the best rivers. Ironically, they've the most cows too. While Louth, Kildare and Dublin have the worst. Ironically where there's a big population of people. Mmmm

Few schemes being rolled out to see can water quality be improved in different regions

This sounds similar to the successful project in Timoleague. This is the sort of stuff that needs to be pushed and not the "stick" approach many favour

• Registered Users Posts: 15,120 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Economic realities are often a problem for greens, but I would have thought the economics in this case are simple enough.

If one farmer farming 70 acres is unviable, then without intensification 10 farmers farming 700 acres is not going to miraculously make that 700 acre farm viable.

Economically the only way of achieving that without intensification is that farm receiving a higher price for its produce.

Again pay farmers to do what they should be doing anyway

No of course the 700 acre is more viable way less supports for I farm as against 10 and more tax for the people of Ireland from the new employees win win

• Advertisement

I don't see to many mom and pop wind farms but the home and farm solar is great although I don't see why farmers again should get a much great grant than everyone else

They are also lots of rules around septic tanks lot of good that done

Ireland's rural population in 2022 was 1.8 million hardly the majority of Ireland

It is if you totally ignore the reality of economics.

There is no way that a farm of 70 acres being farmed by one farmer is unviable where simply muliplying by 10 to give you 700 acres farmed by 10 farmers somehow becomes viable. It`s economics 101. There are only two ways it becomes viably possible, intensive farming and all that would entail, or higher prices for the food produced.

Those are your two options.

Economies of scale economics 101 and it's 700 acres farmed by 1 farmer and employees

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Great post. You forgot to mention that the price dairy farmers are getting for milk at present is considerably down on this time last year. So much so that many potential new entrants have abandoned their plans. But you wouldn't know it at the till. The supermarkets etc continue to get their share (albeit a larger one given the price paid for production).

There's a lot of issues with water in Ireland from farm runoff and sewage. A recent example at Lough Neagh shows how devastating the effect can be

What are you scuttering about? Economics of scale? You must've failed Economics 101. It was already explained to you that the potential income is based on hectares. Whether it's 1x700 or 10x70, it's largely the same thing. If its something stupid like 700x1 you might have a point but small holding is long gone.

What difference does it make whether it's self employed or owner/employee? Are you suggesting that the hundreds of thousands of people (not just in agriculture) are doing something untoward by being self employed?

Post edited by machiavellianme on

I'm afraid I couldn't show the dairy farm profits as that's a closely guarded secret why didn't even the farmers leader recently change his status so he wouldn't have to publish accounts hmm 🤔 I wonder why

No 20x70 farmed by 10 farmers and all that goes with it is not as efficient as 1x700 with one farmer and 9 employees

The financial economic of what you are proposing makes no sense and you really do not appear to understand what economy of scale is.

If one farmer farming 70 acres is unviable, then one farmer employing nine others to farm 700 acres while paying them a viable wage to live on, plus paying taxes on top of those wages, is not going to make that 700 acre farm viable either. There is no economy of scale by just multiplying the area and the numbers needed by 10. The scale remains the same. 1x10.

The only way that farm will become viable is by intensification or higher prices for its produce. The other option would be the green favoured alternative. Farming organically, but at this stage it`s evident that would require even higher prices for the food being produced to make it viable.

• Advertisement

Care to explain how you've come to that conclusion when you have a bunch of people who actually understand the economics of farming and associated regulations all demonstrating the exact opposite to be the case? You've never been on a farm, are unable to provide any factual information on dairy farmers profits or indeed losses and yet are speaking with some sort of authority that one model is better than another.

Let's suppose for a second that there is any truth (there isn't) to your ridiculous thesis. Take for example the beef industry in Ireland. 30 years ago, many villages and towns had their own abbatoirs run by their local butcher (minimal carbon footprint on transport, local benefits of jobs some as paye employees, some as self employed). A bunch of capitalist businessmen cried foul citing all sorts of issues and benefits of doing things their way. Massive factories scaled up, local abbatoirs scaled down. End result: 3 options exist for slaughter nowadays, all controlled more or less by one man. Most of the local butchers have vanished, a bunch of poorly paid (mostly overseas) workers slaughter the cattle in less friendly conditions and the quality of beef product available to the consumer has gone down, along with quantity but reciprocal to price. But it's all OK. That handful of workers are paye.

What difference does it make if they are paye, self employed or appointed by green fairies as long as they are paid fairly and contribute to society as required?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

Such bs.delighted the consumer is getting screwed for quality food cause the primary producer ie the farmer ain’t getting it.while the consumer might be paying 2.50 for milk the farmer this yr is @ 30 cents.but hey blame those all ye want go off and eat a tree after hugging it

You appear to be confusing the number of households in Ireland with the number of domestic waste water systems other than those of waste water mains threated.

There are 2.125 million permanent houses in Ireland. 481,694 use domestic waste water systems (22%), of which 20% are deemed a risk to public health. The remains 78% use waste water mains. With water mains leaking 37% of treated drinking water, then I doubt waste water mains are any better. In all likelihood much worse.

In reality there is much more of a risk to public from waste water mains than there is from domestic waste water systems.

Which is? You're already complaining about paying them for doing it. Would you be willing to pay more for your food, only eat what's in season and produced locally (by that I mean Ireland/UK primarily)? Unless you are, then farming subsidies have to remain and will have to be raised unfortunately

What grant are you on about there now? Remember farmers have the land and the shed roof space. They are being incentivised to use that land for energy instead of food. Houses are also incentivised via SEAI grants

OK. By rural I mean outside of cities. County towns would be classed as rural really in my eyes. Septic tank rules have only recently been brought in, and aren't being enforced enough to get homeowners to fix them. That is not the same as with slurry regs.

Secret? They are private business and don't have to disclose profits. Same as any private business. how much profit does your local Centra make? Or the hairdresser? However, government funding to those is not public yet it is in agriculture. You're best guess is via Teagasc and CSO published figures or the eProfit Monitor. However, these don't take into account wages or land rental costs. They give unrealistic bottom line figures. So far this year dairy prices have collapsed and there's over 60c/kg gone off beef prices. Last year it was poultry and pigs#. And all the time it's horticulture getting screwed by retailers. I can't comment on the IFA leader (presume it's him) and his practices. Again though, his farm is a private business and is no one's business only revenues how much they make.

I'd be shocked if any farm had 10 employees. Say your 70 acre farm. That would 100% need at least 2 incomes off farm to raise a family (30 years ago a smaller farm would sustain a family - been there, lived it). Lets then combine a load of small farms to one 700 acre. Even if that was a full dairy enterprise, there'd probably be the farmer and 1 full time labour unit, with extra drafted in for calving. There'd be no 700 acre farm with 9 employees unless that farm is doing some value-add to the produce they produce. This larger farm would have economies of scale for sure and could consolidate machinery perhaps. Yet the costs to run it would pretty much mirror the smaller enterprises albeit purchasing power would be greater and would improve the bottom line. No argument there.

Well there you go 10x70acres with 10 farmers now becomes 1x700 with one farmer and 1 employee so of course that's more efficient only one set of payments we could probably also reduce staff in dept of Ag as way less bureaucracy and firm filling etc

I know it's 9 so called family farms gone but what makes them any different to other industry why should the taxpayer support them food can still be produced at the same price by the 700 maybe even cheaper was 8 less people have to be paid according to yourself

Incorrect on both counts.

1. The 10x70 or 1x700 attracts the same payments. It's based on land area, not number of farms.
    2. The farmer has no say in the price. It's one of the only industries where you buy at retail price but sell below wholesale. Farmers are price takers, not price setters. Although efficiencies will be improved, the bottom line for that one farm may improve, you as the customer will be no better off, though you'd probably be complaining about the excessive profits being made by the one farm! And seeing as this is a "green" thread and not an economics one, the intensification of farming isn't going to do anything for Irelands emissions. Also remember those 8 people will need to be employed somewhere or else the state will have to support them.

Nothing makes a family farm different than other businesses except that there are much more of them, are much more integrated into communities, spend 90% of their income locally, help employ 220k people across the country (that's outside the farmgate now) and contribute to over €6bn in exports. Of course if they fail then that farmer has a valuable asset, often living in the middle of it.

I hope I'm helping you to see another side of things and not what you think the reality is.

Yes but we could have that with way fewer and as I said the payments would now go to one farmer albeit the same amount but only one set of payments not 7 thereby saving a whole load of bureaucratic crap

It's an automated system. The saving of beurocratic crap would be in the order of a few cents but the cost of however many now unemployed farmers/families would be tens of thousands. You clearly haven't a clue what you are talking about and it appears even the concepts of your Economics 101 are beyond your comprehension.

Sure why don't we consolidate all work? Every carpenter hired by one organisation, every bank into one bank. Whatever it is that you do (economics lecturer?), bring everyone with your career into the same business too. No more competition. The bosses will dictate the price and their returns. That'll save a few hundred euro in beurocratic crap too.

No need to be unemployed full employment in Ireland now actually can't get staff

I have no doubt the same amount of farming output could be achieved in Ireland with way less farmers but bigger farms why should the taxpayer pay to keep people working at non viable jobs we don't do it for any other industry

• Advertisement

Thank god for ALDI and Lidl before they came on the Irish scene our own Irish multiples were screwing us on price

I. Know when I was a young fella there was a butcher in every town but not many eating steak plenty eating it now tg

As to farmers not getting paid enough well in any other industry if you can't make money you move on you don't look to the taxpayer to give you a handout and don't tell me you produce food I know that but the market would find it's place and eventually the price to the remaining farmers would make it viable but not paying way more than necessary

Ireland could produce the same amount of food with way less farmers in the same amount of land I have no doubt

Go to the ploughing next month and see all the poor farmers get real try living on a minimum wage job as most farmers pay their workers

Advertisement