Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,822 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Beau's midterm thoughts on Biden, making the case the progressive left will never see him perfectly but his record has been surprising after he initially wrote him off privately as George Bush Jr II. etc

WH put out a progress map of all their infrastructure spending:

In response my Congressman puts out clap like this: cover your eyes and ears, don't believe it!

The district is receiving tens of millions of dollars, including in his hometown. New bridges, replacement bridges, paving, upgrades, rework, etc.

Good on the WH for putting together this information in such powerful format.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,614 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Joe let storm Hilary into the country according to Fox news.

The storm was just knocking on the west coast door till Joe opened the door for it to come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Well they are trying to appeal to dumb cousin fúckers according to one of their previous producers.

Petting a dog. No president has ever done worse.

/negative coloring and Arabic music intensifies

• Registered Users Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Why would you say this, to people who have lost everything and when there still hundreds of people missing and presumed dead? It's an insult to them

I don’t want to compare difficulties, but we have a little sense, Jill and I, what it’s like to lose a home. Years ago — now 15 years ago — I was in Washington doing “Meet the Press.” It was a sunny Sunday, and lightning struck at home on a little lake that’s outside of our home — not a lake, a big pond — and hit a wire and came up underneath our home into the heating ducts — the air conditioning ducts.

To make a long story short, I almost lost my wife, my ‘67 Corvette, and my cat. 

Oh, and what actually happened, as reported at the time

"Lightning struck the home of Sen. Joseph Biden, starting a small fire that was contained to the kitchen.

Firefighters arrived to find heavy smoke coming from the house, but were able to keep the flames from spreading beyond the kitchen, said Cranston Heights Fire Company Chief George Lamborn.

``Luckily, we got it pretty early,'' he said. ``The fire was under control in 20 minutes.''

So, no one almost died in this small fire contained to the kitchen then. Although his Corvette may have come close to being burnt, it doesn't say. That's on a par with throwing paper towels at people tbh

• Advertisement

That's on a par with throwing paper towels

No, it's not, though the desperation to both sides everything is real.

You're right, it might actually be worse. Making jokes about almost losing his car in a small kitchen fire when hundreds are dead and many more homeless is pretty bad.

What? Please quote me where I said it was worse than " POTUS openly denying the death of 3000 Americans". You brought that up, not me. I said throwing paper towels at people lol. Are you ok? Talk about delusional.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭geospatial

Biden gaffes 😂, Joe Biden has a long history of not just insensitive comments but outright insulting and racist comments, something that most of the media have ignored for decades.

In 1977 he said that desegregation of schools would lead to his children "growing up in a racial jungle". No surprise there as he was an ally of southern segregationists, including Robert Byrd. He was called out on this by Kamala Harris in the 2020 debates.

In 1997 he referred to Barack Obama as "the first mainstream African American who is articulate, bright, and clean".

While US president among his multitude of "gaffes" he infamously suggested that Latinos resisted vaccination because they "feared they would be deported", suggesting that the nations' 60 million Latino US citizens were all illegals, and suggested that all African Americans think alike compared to Latinos who were diverse in their thinking (the very definition of racism).

If Joe Biden were a Republican, he would be (correctly) labelled an insensitive racist.

The media ignored all these things you mention which have been incessantly reported on?

In 1997 he referred to Barack Obama as "the first mainstream African American who is articulate, bright, and clean".

Then he became his VPOTUS and then the POTUS. Goes to show how old and useless this cudgel is. He couldn't have asked for a worse opponent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,943 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

SO racist Obama picked him as his VP??

The recent comments are gaffes, you know this yet pretend not to.

The older stuff reflects the times, as society and mores and morals changed, Biden's views changes as societies did.

Unless you're going to argue Obama picked an insensitive racist as his VP.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Biden comparing his kitchen fire to the fires in Maui was a bit insensitive/insane.

Honestly it's embarrassing looking at how frail and doddery he is , obviously normal for a man of his age but not for someone with such a serious job.

You have more than 300 million people in America and the 2 most popular candidates are a frail old man who should be at home spending time with his grandchildren and Donald Trump who's a complete scumbag.It's proof of a complete failure of the political system in America.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,286 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

If he hasnt been told he isnt running again by now, his wife isnt doing her job. Its obvious to everyone by now bar the media sanctioning the view

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 14,720 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

You'd wonder who the real President is, Joe is merely the public front for an unelected cabal.

Everytime he goes off script he puts his foot in it and has to be corrected, its like a child being scolded by a teacher.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Sorry, Joe Biden doesn't get a pass for his racist past because of "the times", he was at the forefront of the white backlash against the Civil Rights movement in the 1970s. Not everyone was a segregationist back then, many in the south yes, but the country as whole was moving in the right direction in the 1960s and racist bigots like Biden stalled that progress. His racism extended long after the 1970s, he was one of the architects of the 1994 Crime Bill which led to mass incarceration of African Americans, young people he called "predators".

There are many reasons why Obama choose him as VP, he was perceived as the safest bet (like in 2020), but the main reason was to win over the racist white south voter. It was Biden after all who referred to those waving confederate flags as "fine people", the exact phrase used later by another white racist bigot.

Yes, Biden is gaffe prone, this is why he rarely holds press conferences or answers media questions. However, a gaffe is unintentional, using the wrong word or phrase or muddled speech. These are his exact words about Latinos versus African Americans "Unlike the African American community, with notable exceptions (the articulate clean Obama?), the Latino community is an incredibly diverse community with incredibly different attitudes about different things".

That's not a gaffe, that's defining a whole race of people in a negative fashion by comparing them to another race, the very definition of racism. If you think it's a gaffe, then you have to explain what the actual **** he is trying to say and misspoke.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'll believe it when I see proof.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

So on the one hand, we either have to believe Obama picked a racist VP. Then this apparently known racist picked an African American VP as his running mate.

Or ... you are talking absolute nonsense with zero credibility.

Actions speak louder than words.

So yeah, your claims have zero credibility.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The African American vs. Latino thing I believe is a tortured attempt to recognise that African Americans have a unique shared history - Very very few consider themselves "Cameroonian American or Nigerian American etc. African Americans are many many generations removed from their African ancestry (through no fault of their own) and as such they no longer carry the unique disparate influences of those origins.

Whereas "Latinos" very much identify as Cuban-American, Mexican-American , Columbian-American etc. and each has a different shared history that informs their current persona. A Cuban American has a very different cultural and historical background to a Mexican American and it shows in how they live, behave and indeed vote.

He did a poor job verbalising it , but that's what he was trying to say - Historians , Anthropologists and Political Analysts would all say the same thing , but most likely far more eloquently.

• Advertisement

How is it nonsense when the comments are on record?

Maybe those comments will be relevant if or when Biden is campaigning against someone without a far worse history of racist comments and overt racist action.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,720 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Ah the default defence, the other guy is worse so Biden gets a pass.

Its pathetic at this stage.

Good job not responding to any of the factual points in my post. How can outlining Joe Biden's racist past and actual speech past and present be "nonsense"? Try responding to the post rather than lashing out. You can't of course because there is no defending Biden's racist past or indeed his frequent racist utterances as president.

I voted for Joe Biden, did you? I held my nose and voted for a candidate with a racist past as he was the best choice of the candidates on offer. Just like Obama held his nose and choose him as VP.

You can't keep your story straight, is he an actual racist, is he currently making racist comments, or does he have a racist past???

Meanwhile, in the real world, Obama picked him as VP. He picked Kamala Harris as his VP and she accepted.

But we're expected to believe that all this time they knew him to be a racist, that he comes out with racist comments (not gaffes) and they are just 'holding their nose' and ears too I guess?. That's what I'm calling nonsense - because it is. The 'facts' of your post in some cases aren't even facts, and certainly don't come close to the claims you make for them.

Present actions speak louder than past words, some of them nearly half a century ago (!) when politics and social terrain was very different..

The notion that Biden as a racist was picked by Obama, or has been racist in his Presidency, without merit or foundation.

If you don't want him to have a pass on this, make it a relevant campaign issue by running someone without these issues.

I voted for Joe Biden, did you? I held my nose and voted for a candidate with a racist past as he was the best choice of the candidates on offer. 

QED

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

When all you have is a binary choice , the choice made is almost always "least worst".

And yes , Biden is the "least worst" when compared to Trump (or any of the current potential GOP Alternatives to be honest).

You're flailing now. He most certainly was a racist from the 1970s to 1990s, unless you agree with his alignment with and praise of the likes of Strom Thurmond, Richard Byrd, John Stennis (a "hero" according to Joe), and James Eastland. If we give him the benefit of the doubt at best that was aligning with racist bigots for political reasons, and yes, holding your nose and closing your ears.

He most certainly has made racist utterances in the recent past, the example I gave on lack of diversity among the African American community (an actual nonsense) or what about his claim that "you aint black" if you vote Republican. What an arrogant insult to black voters who actually vote Republican.

Is he an actual racist now? I would say he has largely reformed, but like a leopard and it's spots, he is prone to slippage back to his segregationist past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭randd1

What are the chances that the person who put that up will be found to be bothering children? It just seems to be the case with Trumpists that every accusation is an admission.

Also, Fúck Biden? Is that a statement or an instruction? A bit of clarity would be needed for the more braindead Trumpists, lest a couple of hundred turn up outside the White House slathered in lubricant. I'm not sure what Biden would do in that scenario (other than possibly follow up "Who's Nailing Palin?" with the sequel "Who's Ridin' Biden?").

• Advertisement

Except the black community in American is far more diverse than you describe, Kamala Harris a good example whose parents were from Jamaica and India and emigrated to the US in the 1960s. Like millions of black Americans, she certainly has little of the shared history of descendents of slaves that you describe.

That's what so problematic about his comments and the efforts of the white house to explain it away, African Americans (those with African ancestry) are incredibly diverse, just as diverse as Latinos, and to lump them together as having essentially a hive mind pf common beliefs is incredibly insulting.

Advertisement