Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nurse Lucy Letby found guilty of murdering seven babies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Hmm I've read this and I've no idea what you're on about 😄

I didn't say there's a reasonable doubt I said 1%

• Registered Users Posts: 13,418 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I thought that, by definition, ICU is 1 to 1 care or as close as possible given staffing on a specific shift. And HDU is 1 member of staff for 2 patients?

If it consistently falls below this staffing level then it just isn't functionally an ICU (regardless of the plaque on the door). So there should be no concept of a staff member having to go from bed to bed doing tasks for different patients because they are the person 'on' that shift. It should be close to staff member A assigned to patient B and only patient B, with obvious flexibility to move around whilst still maintaining that 1 to 1.

Perhaps I am oversimplifying it. You clearly know a lot about it. It just struck me as something whereby you are going to have some incredibly intensive non-stop shifts, interspersed with 8-hour complete non-events where nothing much happens with your assigned patient and you can text away to your hearts content.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭tibruit

Well you brought up Bailey, so I assumed you had some basic knowledge of the Du Plantier case.

The doctors storyline stinks a bit

They're no mugs consultants and the likes yet they're issuing an apology to letby and not whistleblowing up the command chain or to police

Seems like they were just getting their ducks in a row and neglecting the childcare issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭political analyst

I understand. I've heard of the fictional coroner who was played by Jack Klugman - I only saw one episode, by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,624 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

There was no direct evidence that she was doing anything. She didn't smother the kids, break bones, or bruise them. Even after a full police investigation, it was mostly circumstantial. So the doctors never could definitely claim it was her. It might not have been.

So they went to management. Management said they investigated and found nothing wrong. What do people think the doctors should have done? Refused to work with her on a hunch? Gone to the police? The police would have gone to the hospital management who would have told them they had already investigated and found nothing. The police opened the investigation after the hospital wrote to the Chief saying that despite their investigation they had suspicions.

It is easy to see the truth after everything has come out, much harder to see it when in the middle of it.

Lucy went out of her way to cover her tracks. She played the role of a good nurse, supportive, and caring. Even the families said they couldn't believe they were taken in by her.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Really?

You blaming the union rep now, lol?

Sure maybe the union should all serve time as well?

What do you think the rep should have done?

Turned around to Lucy or their boss in the union and said, "I believe this nurse is a serial killer, not a nurse being picked on, although the only evidence I have is the doctors' word against hers at this stage in time"..!

"Not interested in the bigger picture only in representing her".

Is that not the job of a union rep??

Yes Admin are very much at fault and have culpability for some of the babies' killed after the doctors initially flagged a problem

She should have been taken off the unit straight away at that stage until all the investigations were completed.

But blaming the rep is like blaming society or everbody else working in the hospital..

You forgot about Alison Kelly, who was one of Letby's superiors in nursing at the time and who is suspended from her current role.

The other accused senior nurse, who has since retired, told ITV Granada that she wasn't given enough info to justify suspending Letby at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,684 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Very logical, sensible and balanced analysis.

just to add: the circumsrstisl evidence all added up to paint a clear picture of guilt. The system really worked here as regards evidence, prosecution and the killer being found guilty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭rogber

I've a lot of sympathy for the parents too. You sacrifice the best years of your life for a child and through no obvious fault of theirs she ends up like this

Yes you clearly have it wrong.

The quietest shift I have worked on ICU is... Never!

It is the most intensive busy work you can do.

Sometimes you might have 2 patients if short staffed and you should be allocated only very stable patients but it is wayy more than you imagine in your posts.

Soecial baby care is different.

A lot of SCBU in local hospitals might only care for 'special care "ie not ventilated or critically ill premmies, and would have 3 or 4 nurses looking after 8 to 10 babies and any critical patients would be transferred to the nearest neonatal intensive care.

They might have one or 2 intensive care baby beds in case of emergency and in her time there this is what happened frequently ......

Those nurses would nevertheless need to have a neonatal qualification but normally would not be working to that level of expertise.

I know this because I have done the training and more, worked in a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit for years and even transferred babies from said Special Care Units by emergency transfer to NICU back in the day.

No, any patient in intensive care requires more than just monitoring as my previous post says in detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,418 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Cheers, appreciate the replies, and will always hold my hands up when someone with first-hand knowledge explains it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

What happens to the assets and possessions of someone who will never see the light of day again

"She should have been taken off the unit straight away at that stage until all the investigations were completed."

Something which her union would have opposed, which in turn makes it part of the overall problem, because as you imply, they were not interested in the bigger picture.

I imply no such thing . That would be you !

People are moved from units all the time for many reasons . That responsibility was everything to do with hospital management, and nothing to do with the union.

They could have removed her out of concern for her 'mental health ' and nothing she or her union could have done would have stopped it , except maybe put a limit on the length of time she was removed .

Why are you arguing a comment that is patently indefensible ?

So now unions are responsible for serial killers according to you.

Think this has run its course really, OP.

When posters are here blaming union reps and mobile phones for a serial killing rampage , it has gone to the ridiculous !

"I imply no such thing. That would be you!"

Yes. I did say..."not interested in the bigger picture and only in representing her."

You quoted this and specifically replied..."Is that not the job of a union rep?".....so yes, you did imply it. Maybe you mis-spoke.

"The responsibility was everything to do with management"

The overwhelming responsibility lies with management for sure, but management decisions will be influenced by outside factors. Lucy wasn`t going quietly. She brought in Mammy and Daddy who probably staunchly defended her but I would imagine to little effect. Get the union onside though, that`s a different story. That`s a factor in the sh*tshow that the administrators were afraid of. I said nothing about mobile phones.

Your posts are indecipherable

What's all this about

• Advertisement

No the mobile phone red herring been going on since yesterday 🙄

You are posting indecipherable stuff here alright but I will make a bash at it in the interests of fairplay, maybe you took ME up wrong !

The sentence I quoted from your post was two phrases.

As you say in your last post ...

Quote ..."not interested in the bigger picture and only in representing her."

You quoted this and specifically replied..."Is that not the job of a union rep?".....so yes, you did imply it. Maybe you mis-spoke." End quote

It is their job to represent her , not to think of the bigger picture .

As if Mammy or Daddy and law suits have never been threatened in cases that are much less serious than this before .;)

That is bread and butter to any HR department, and why union reps are needed .

Not indecipherable at all. You comprehend all that I said. But you think that the union should focus on nothing but the interests of its member which is fine under most circumstances. I`m just saying not when that member is being accused of multiple murders.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I strongly object to that no one said its the fault of mobile phones that's a bizarre idea read the judges speech before he sentenced her.

Another indecipherable post ...

What..are you strongly objecting to ?

Mobile phones we've done to death (no pun or offence intended !)

Bizarre idea of the judge or whether read a statement by him? Wha?

I think you know that she was not " accused of multiple murders " when the union rep was representing her , and even if she was , it is still the unions' job to represent and provide legal assistance , innocent or guilty .

Supposing she was being accused in the wrong of something,anything..should the union cast their all seeing eye into the future to divine whether it would look bad if they did their jobs ?

Go on ...you are very entertaining digging away there ;)

Why would the police have accept management's word in that scenario?

Actually, Hindley and Brady were worse because their crimes were sexually-motivated (in the same way as it was with Dutroux and Fourniret and their wives) and their victims were older than Letby's and so, unlike the babies at Chester hospital, were fully aware of torture that was inflicted on them before they were murdered.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,684 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Worse in the sense of the environment, situation, her position, the planning, duration and the absolute defencelessness of the babies in her care.

She also murdered 7 and tried to murder more. Beyond monstrous behaviour. And she was alone!! Hindley was part of a duo. Quite likely Hindley would not have been a killer had Brady (quite an influence) not been in her life.

Supposing she was accused in the right (which of course she was) the union was basically trying to put her back into her killing arena. You can dress it up any way you want, but that was the fundamental reality. 13 deaths in her final year and she was on duty for every one of them. The expected fatalities would be 2 to 3 per year. On those stats alone, any individual or entity actively supporting her return would have culpability in my view.

• Advertisement

I am not getting further into this with you as your bias is showing here and it ain't pretty .

You aren't even reading my replies which quite clearly show how the union can no more be held responsible than a defence lawyer .

The decision to have her on duty on the unit was down to nurse management , and there is where the blame lies besides Lucy herself of course.

Your argument is ignorant and at first I thought you had just made a mistake. I see now you are posting in bad faith and will push your point whether you think it is wrong or not .

If you want to keep up this nonsense carry on but don't address me again .

Advertisement