Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I'm just back from there and I can tell you no one is wearing full length cashmere coats with sweaters. I wouldn't say it's hot but defintely warm, low to mid 20s. Very strange.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'm about halfway through Royal Feud - The Queen Mother and the Duchess of Windsor by Michael Thornton and it's a very interesting read. It was published in 1985, the year after Harry was born (and before the whole Charles & DI estrangement kicked off) so understandably there's been a lot of royal scandal gone under the bridge since then. The Queen Mother called Wallis "the woman who killed my husband" when he died 15 years into his reign. The late Queen was 10 when her uncle abdicated, and was 25 when she became Queen upon the death of her father so grew up in the eye of the storm of the abdication, the war years and the PITA that the former King and his missus was for most of her childhood, and her early reign. I feel like this should have been mandatory reading for a certain couple around 2016...

Wallis met David when he had two current mistresses and she was married to her second husband. Very early on, she was caught rapid cruelly imitating the Queen Mother (Duchess of York as she was then) by the Queen Mother herself and after that they wouldn't meet or speak for over 30 years.

David became and remained Wallis's lapdog. While still king, and while she was still married to Simpson, she would order David to pour her drinks or fetch a book or stole for her like he was a servant in front of their peers - and he would scurry off doing it.

David was the cheeky charismatic one whereas Bertie was shy, quiet. So with the rumblings of unsettling politics brewing in Europe most of the country were very unhappy with David pissing off and leaving it to a King who could barely speak.

Wallis and David went to France, promptly began to behave in a totally tone-deaf and unpatriotic manner which continued throughout the beginning of WWII. They openly associated with high ranking Nazis - Gobbels, Himmler, Hess, Goring and had a long meeting with Hitler who loved them. As a result he was deemed to be totally unsuited to representing the RF abroad. When France was invaded, they swiftly moved to Spain, he was then given a very minor job to justify his funds from the civil list. So he was moved to the Bahamas to take up the position of Governor and in record time managed to piss off the locals so were shifted to Bermuda.

All along, during war time he continued to press subsequent Prime Ministers, Governments and his family to acknowledge Wallis as a HRH and a royal duchess when they had better things for doing, and conducting pseudo-royal tours of their own, or inventing unsanctioned political initiatives often trying to upstage or disrupt planned royal diplomacy tours but invariably making a balls of it with some tone-deaf remark or gaffe of some sort.

He gave an interview with the Times, which was previously unheard of for a Royal and it horrified the family. He also wrote an autobiography. The overall view was that he was a bit of a bumbling idiot at best when it came to international topics, but often was an embarrassment. He was spoiled, selfish and entitled, and his wife just as bad. He demanded many of the perks of being Royal (such as not being taxed on his income from the Civil list) but not actually functioning as a working Royal in any competent capacity. (that's as far as I've got in the book currently)

Remind you of anyone? 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Karppi

Thank you for this fascinating post, it's very interesting and apposite in the current context. I'll definitely get a copy.

I'm currently reading "King's Counsellor - Abdication and War: The Diaries of Sir Alan Lascalles. Alan "Tommy" Lascalles was Assistant Private Secretary to Four monarchs, having started with the then Edward, PoW in 1921. He resigned in 929, despairing of Edward's character, then served King George V, then was persuaded to serve Edward VIII during the coronation and abdication, then George VI and finally Queen Elizabeth II. It's a very interesting read, covering a huge swathe of the first half of 20th century British Royalty. Of course, Wallis appears several times in the diaries. The way she treated Edward and, indeed, the way he allowed himself to be treated, speak volumes about the asymmetric relationship they had.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭maik3n

Is there a chance perhaps that the needle has shifted a bit?

Maybe due to the Dan Wooton revelations.

It seems that oul William had a hard time of it recently, with his no-show at the Womens World Cup final.

Even some rather staunch anti Harry/Megan characters were raking William over the coals for it and the story did seem to have a longer shelf life than usual when it comes to William/Kate news.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,031 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

England lost so it will be forgotten about soon enough. I'd say people would still be complaining if he'd gone in the middle of a cost of living crisis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭valoren

There was some protocol involved with William not attending, needs permission from parliament or some such and at short notice security would need arranging so likely decided not worth the haul over and back. The longevity perhaps stems from a lack of Harry and Meghan stories which, when something intermittently does happen these day, it has all become predictable and boring. Desperate for some royal scah so putting the boot, pardon the pun, into the President of the FA satiated that need.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I think the needle has shifted, but it will always waver somewhat. Royals sell papers and always have so if a story dries up in H&Ms direction, they are going to look at the others for some scoops. And it's likely that palace spin steers some of it. Charles's recent bad press, and the fact that he's not ever going to be as popular as his mother, and hasn't the glamour of William and Kate it wouldn't surprise me if his PR throws a few bones every once in a while to the press in a "Oh look, Squirrels!" way and maybe even did it with this story.

The criticism of William did seem stretched out. I'd be one of the first to call out discrepancies between the sexes, becoming increasingly more feminist in my old age, but I can't see any issue here. The press have known for a long time that he wasn't attending, there's security and diplomatic logistics, and other royal duties to rearrange if he went to the match. If he postponed some ribbon cutting at a hospital to go there would be outrage because he's pissing off to watch a game and neglecting his royal engagements, and there would be digs about his carbon footprint and so on. He would have gotten flak either way.

What he should have done was go to the local pub without an entourage just have pints enjoying the match. That would have been a PR win. It would show him down with the people, and the press would happily contrast this with Harry's recent Singapore polo elitism and got great mileage out of it.

@Karppi I'll add that book to my list. It sounds really interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,130 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

That lad does get quite the benefit on here, doesn't he?

Anyway, He was on leave he had no engagements, the reason is he couldn't be arséd.

If it were the mens he would have been there.

It should immediately disqualify him from being President of the FA.

Very poor form.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Planning for Security for a visit like that happens months in advance, months. I have no doubt he would have been told it was impossible at such short notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Yes, it reminds me of how the RF scaped goated Wallis the same way the scapegoated Meghan. The Old Queen blamed Wallis Simpson for Bertie's early death? Yep, nothing at all to do with him being a chain smoker and dying of lung cancer. Added to that, he was always sickly anyway (due probably to a couple of generations of marrying your cousins)! Prince Philip was a chain smoker as well, and because of her father's death, QEII insisted that he give them up (which he did).

The Duke of Windsor never wanted to be King in the first place. If he did, he could have followed on family tradition and married one of his cousins and kept Simpson as his mistress, in the same way as QEII married a (3rd and 2nd cousin) and Philip kept mistresses his whole life. Charles (and now William) seem to be following the same playbook.

Just on the closeness of the Duke of Windsor to the Nazis - he wasn't the only one close to them. There is a photo of QEII doing the Nazi salute. Most of the elite of British society were not adverse to the Nazis. Prince Philip's 3 sisters were married to Nazis.

• Advertisement

Ah, protocol being used again. It comes in very handy to the British Royal Family when they want an excuse. William had no problem shipping David Beckham to the Earth Shot thingy in Boston from World Cup in Qatar for a dinner!

The Invictus Games are apparently approaching and Netflix posted a video trailer on YouTube about a week ago. I've just had a look and it's had 2.4k likes and 17k dislikes. At a quick glance, the comments (of which there are nearly 5000) pretty well share the same theme, which is that Invictus should distance themselves from H&M and make sure all the proceeds of the games go to veterans. People are entirely sympathetic to and supportive of the vets. Sample of recent comments below

Whether those of us on this thread are supportive of H&M, or suspicious of them, it really is a serious issue that their very involvement and presence create such a negative response. And it could all have been so very different.

What a load of nonsense all that stuff about how the funds should go to the veterans. It is going to the veterans. For example, the top post above is claiming that Meghan is looking for special sheets. Presumably, they are staying in a hotel and I doubt very much if the hotel would say that they were demanding special sheets. They all seem to think that Harry is getting paid out of this. If you look at the annual report, there is absolutely no evidence that this is so. It states who the two main earners are (CEO and Operating Officer).

There is a board of trustees and Harry isn't on it. All these claims are slanderous. Even the proceeds of the Netflix docuseries is going to the Invictus games. What is wrong with people that they have to make all this kind of stuff up. Why do they hate so much?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

I had read something that he couldn't go because Charles hadn't visited there yet as sovereign, so William couldn't go due to protocol. Could be a load of crap or true because some of those protocols are a bit mad.

I think you hit the nail on the head, he should have gone down to the pub and had a drink. Instead he does (another) video for the Lioness featuring his only daughter. A bit sickening using her like this, especially since there's loads of photos of himself and Louis at football matches. It's the cynic in me, I didn't like that he used his kid like that. I hate when influencers do the same. Your suggestion was far better and much more natural. The RF should hire you for PR!

It could be that the problem for H&M now is maybe one of perception rather than one of 100% reality. I don't know for sure. But have a look at the comments for yourself. Overwhelmingly, they are very unfavourable towards Harry and - particularly - Meghan. You'll be well aware that I'm no fan of their behaviour, but in large part I do give Harry credit for the Invictus Games. However, Meghan got a lot of negative PR for her attendance at the 2022 Invictus Games, in respect of the cost of her wardrobe. Perhaps she should leave the Games to Harry alone, rather than attend, a bit like she did with the recent polo match in Singapore. It might help Harry regain some ground. It can't be good for them to be subject to such a cacophony of criticism

What was the issue with the cost of her wardrobe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Oh God slanderous, how many more people is he going to sue.

He is only sueing newspapers for illegally obtaining private information.

You have to laugh - seems Thomas Markle Jn is now running Meghan and Harry tours in LA and Montecito at a $1,000 a pop!

And the sad thing is that people will probably go on them. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 17,031 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Harry and Meghan will surely understand selling out your own family though, so I'm sure they admire the entrepreneurial nous.

Post edited by Leg End Reject on

£38,000 for three days' outfits prompted questions over, "who paid for them?". Who knows for sure??

My point is that their "brand" is now so damaged that the facts of who paid no longer matter. The perception is that the Charity did. It might not be fair, but it's what's happened.

• Advertisement

Well, Invictus didn't because they would be in its accounts as expenses. Also interesting that the Cartier jewelery was about £12K (and was more than likely on loan/hired if she didn't own it already).

The shoes she had on one of the days she had from her wedding. And she is a style icon, so more than like she is getting the loan of clothes to wear since she is not now constrained by RF protocol anymore. Everything she puts on sells out immediately.

It was pretty obvious that the question ''who paid for them''? was to hint that the veterans were paying for them and hence you have people calling for their heads because of the money they spend on her clothes that should be going to the injured veterans for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,632 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Meg raging she missed that idea while being in invisible car chases.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,130 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Nonsense. It was in in Oz not Iraq. His father is King of the place. The Queen of Spain and her daughter were there.

Apparently he was going to the men's final if they had reached it, the decision was only made when they reached the quarters.

Again he is the President of the FA, zero excuses, he just couldn't be arséd.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

well I don’t think the Duke of Windsor, QEII, or whoever dressed up in a nazi uniform.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Re the queen and the Nazi salute. She was a young child and by all accounts it was Edward who had taught the kids to do this. Obviously in hindsight, with full knowledge of what it stood for, it is inexcusable, but I'm not sure a 6 year old in 1933, before the war, would have had any idea what it was. Edward went on to meet with Nazis after it was known what they were doing, and even supposedly collaborated with them during the war, which is obviously very different.

Jm was citing the behaviour of an infant William before so holding kids to account isn't surprising.

Yes. For a fancy dress.

Video of QEII and her mother giving the nazi salute. This video is interesting - the main concern of the Palace is who leaked the video a few years ago, not that the RF actually supported the nazi in the 1930s. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wL5sOKP5Aqw

The hypocrisy is astounding! The RF used Wallis Simpson as a scapegoat back then and they didn't want anyone to know that 80 years later.

Did Edward teach Elizabeth, the Queen mother as well? This is the woman who demonised Wallis Simpson that you are all lauding now. She was a right old bitch by all accounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

what it was for doesn’t matter. Wearing a swastika isn’t funny and given the fact that it happened years after WWII harry should have know better and makes it worse given he was a grown adult. The queen was a child and it was in 1933 when it wasn’t fully known how much a shitbag hitler would become.

Advertisement