Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Not sure why you want to repeat yourself stating the obvious .

The link states the numbers are higher than expected so even with reduced numbers in past few months accommodation is still a problem for both asylum seekers and Ukranians .

Post edited by rgossip30 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Yes, but the article was almost entirely about Ukraine refugees, whereas my post was entirely about international protection applications. That accommodation is still a problem is hardly a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Ahwell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

“ At worst, some of the people doing this are 'economic migrants', not criminals.”

”At worst”?

Was there not an Algerian AS arrested literally yesterday for trying stab someone to death on Grafton street? I would say that’s worse than being an economic migrant

Not at all the first violent crime we’ve seen from our new guests. Far from it in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The guy arrested the other day sounded like someone with mental health issues rather than a criminal, judging by reports of his behaviour after the attack.

Linking refugees to criminality seems a bit of a red herring - using the exact same rationale, you could claim that Irish people should not be allowed into Spain, as members of the Hutch and Kinahan gangs have moved there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Ah so if you claim mental health issues you immediately are not a criminal? That's a brilliant path to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭TokTik

Sure don’t all the top Kinahans/Hutches all have mental health issues and their gang members just have folie a deux.

Sure we can write all attempted murder off as mental health nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

I’m not linking them with criminality, just pointing out that some of them most certainly are worse than economic migrants and it doesn’t help that we often haven’t the slightest clue of who they if they destroyed their passport en route

• Advertisement

How do you propose the government deal with the prospect that some asylum seekers might have an undiagnosed mental illness? Ban everyone from entering?

These arguments about the supposed threat asylum seekers pose sound disingenuous (and often very racist). The arguments about the accommodation crisis here or the facts that some 'refugees' might be economic migrants at least make sense.

For sure, but most seem to be ripping up fake ID rather than their actual genuine passport.

If you're ripping up your actual passport, you've definitely got something to hide (but such people will probably be found out by the immigration system anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭TokTik

An undiagnosed mental illness that doesn’t seem to cause any barrier to earning and paying people traffickers to move you halfway around the world, to destroy your IDs and remember the sob story you’ve been coached in to get to stay.

What mental illness is that? Or does it just magically manifest once they touch Irish soil, like Oisin’s age once he returned from Tir Na nOg

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

They could change it so that new refugee arrivals from Ukraine no longer get full dole entitlement. It sounds mean but it's probably a realistic approach given our housing crisis. No easy options I'm afraid. Would be nice if we could help everyone but with student accommodation going back to students...🤷 I can't think of a simple solution that will not result in a significant increase in homelessness and the continuing inability of our young to move out of home and start a life for themselves.

I would agree that the government could simply refuse to pay Ukrainian people social welfare or provide them with emergency accommodation.

But the refugee situation has nothing to do with domestic homelessness - no asylum seekers are accommodated by the state in houses or apartments.

I'm just not going to bother spending 20 minutes responding to that.

Here's a link

it requires labour and resources to build houses. Try and join the dots first with the simple example and extrapolate from there.

I would agree that the government could simply refuse to pay Ukrainian people social welfare or provide them with emergency accommodation.

I did not suggest the above.

Reducing the dole even slightly to new Ukrainian arrivals might help reduce the quantity of arrivals. It's a very distasteful conversation but at some point it probably needs to be addressed.

It's not the fault of refugees that we have a housing crisis but we do have a housing crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I don't agree that that is necessary to address the benefits at this stage , if ever , to Ukrainians in order to 'reduce quantity of arrivals '.

Numbers of Ukrainian refugees to Ireland have already fallen off from the high numbers last year .

So far we have had 88k , 70 k of whom were already in the country by Jan 23 .

So projecting a similar amount for the next few months would be estimated at about 30 k total this year at a push .

And besides , this is not a choice that Ireland can make to look after Ukrainian Refugees or not .

As part of the EU we are obliged under the EU Temporary Protection Directive to provide these people with everything they need from secure accomodation to health provision , education and employment , and funding is made available to each member country to pay for these provisions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Though how they could actually prevent Ukrainian people from coming here is a different thing -

Would having our welfare rates in line with other EU countries help at all?

For sure, but most seem to be ripping up fake ID rather than their actual genuine passport.

Have you some links that show that most are ripping up fake ID's? Also, you seem to be saying that they keep their genuine passport...are they not searched and if not, should they be?

If you're ripping up your actual passport, you've definitely got something to hide (but such people will probably be found out by the immigration system anyway).

Can you link the data/reports from the immigration system showing these people being found out?

Cheers Straz

Just to add, your other posts today seem to suggest that there's no way of finding out if someone has a mental health issue and sure all we can do is wait for somebody to be stabbed/attacked and then we'll know who has MH issues and who doesn't - Not a great is situation is it? (especially for the victims)

Edit, as the above was a draft

You posted that ^ in a reply to a poster that said "They could change it so that new refugee arrivals from Ukraine no longer get full dole entitlement"

If that's the level you're at...well, I just don't think there's any point - All we seem to get by way of an argument/debate is stuff like 'I believe xxx happens', 'Stats suggest xxx,' 'I read that xxx is the case'... On and on and on - No links, no proof, nothing - It's posting in bad faith (to put it mildly)

We received €53 million last year.

that's a long way from the cost. Blatant misdirection doesn't help IMHO. I also strongly resent the following in your link

In the face of Russia's unprovoked and unjustified military invasion of Ukraine, the EU has made available direct humanitarian aid, emergency civil protection assistance, support at the border, as well as a clear legal status allowing those fleeing the war to receive immediate protection in the EU. 

The US Rand corporation literally published a paper on how they could weaken Russia through Ukraine.

https://www.rand.org/pubs/research_reports/RR3063.html

This is not to say Russia is correct in its actions but rather NATO has been doing its best to provoke war. I don't know what's happened to the EU since Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Many asylum seekers are destroying real documents issued by European countries where they have already been granted asylum and have been living for years - Sweden, UK, France, for example. They want to claim asylum in Ireland because they think they will get a better deal here, so they rip their documents up and then lie about who they are and where they have come from.

They also often rip up their real documents from their countries of origin because they don't want anyone to know their country of origin, as often this will be a safe country.

They do everything possible to make it impossible to know which flights they have taken to Ireland (including physically hiding before passing through the border). This way it becomes very difficult to send them back to wherever they have come from.

The ones with fake IDs will often try to enter the country with these fake IDs rather than coming clean at point of immigration and stating that they have travelled on fake documents in order to escape their home countries. Why do this? They would still be allowed apply for asylum if they just admitted they had travelled on fake IDs. But they try to pass through immigration because they are looking to set up shop here under their fake identities. The reality is that most asylum seekers are chancers that should not be here.

As regards Ukranians, we are seeing them arrive from the likes of Canada, where they go to get one-off lump sums on offer there. Then they come here for the regular payments. Some have social welfare payments set up in various countries. Many go home to Ukraine for months and then return here. I came across a group of around 20 Ukranian tourists who came to tour Ireland last week on a trip around the west coast and were due to head back home after - weird from a country that is at war. This is such a corrupt country that prior to the war they needed a visa simply to transit through Ireland, never mind actually enter the country.

We are having the absolute piss taken out of us.

Post edited by mistersifter on

• Advertisement

That's in addition to other funds being paid by the EU.

Let's look at your real issue with the War with Ukraine

"This is not to say Russia is correct in its actions but rather NATO has been doing its best to provoke war. I don't know what's happened to the EU since Trump."

Ah he..er , Russia being provoked by NATO etc , so let's take it out on the Ukrainians as well, shall we ?

Way to drag the thread into a big fat conspiracy theory !

let's take it out on the Ukrainians

I never suggested that, in fact I have repeatedly said let's help them as much as we can. I've also been sickened by the law forbidding males from leaving Ukraine unless they are rich or connected e.g. Arestovych.

If you think it's a conspiracy theory to say the war was not unprovoked, fine, l won't be bringing up again. Just to say, I find statements like 'unprovoked' Orwellian and shocking when used in eu official documents but you are correct, it's not the thread for that.

Post edited by grumpyperson on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

"And besides , this is not a choice that Ireland can make to look after Ukrainian Refugees or not .

As part of the EU we are obliged under the EU Temporary Protection Directive to provide these people with everything they need from secure accomodation to health provision , education and employment , and funding is made available to each member country to pay for these provisions"

We've discussed this at length, we take in per head of population far more than the likes of France who don't seem to face any sanctions. We should grow a pair and tell the EU ,sorry we've done our best but we just don't have the physical accommodation to house any more Ukranians. Also even the ones being housed are complaining.

And that 56 million from the EU is a fraction of what its costing us considering we've allocated 3 billion for Ukranians this year.

You can't just show up in Ireland, claim to be from a certain country you have never set foot in and then be granted asylum. You have to go through a rigorous investigation and there will be a considerable data trail of where you were before you set in Ireland.

Also, there will be many other clues. For example, a person from Syria will be speaking fluent Arabic. A person from Afghanistan will be speaking fluent Dari or Pashto etc (and if they can't speak it to the translators, immigration will immediately be extremely suspicious about their identity).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,395 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Correct.

and their departure from student accommodation will be phased, not efficient… according to Simon Harris some refugees will be remaining in student accommodation up to December…. Just over a third ways into the academic year. So as I predicted quite easily… students and their families ( taxpayers ) are being thrown under the bus head first, deprioritised in the own country and in fact their wellbeing and quality of their education threatened…

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Photographs and fingerprints are taken from asylum seekers and checked against a European database. They can be sent back to the country they originally applied for asylum in.

Have to agree to a degree. We're at a point where another year of students sleeping in cars seems unfair especially given the covid19 years too. To my knowledge the students are not offered tents so maybe that's something that should be looked at. I don't know where this is going but sincerely doubt the children of government ministers are sleeping rough.

Transparency seems poor and this doesn't seem to be managed well. We should be requesting at an EU level that other countries, especially those that don't have a housing crisis do more to house refugees and asylum seekers.

Also, there are flight records for every single flight taken in Europe and these are kept on databases for years. Any person who arrives in Ireland will have to explain how they got on a plane to Ireland (and across Europe before this).....what flights they took and on which dates, which airports they went through etc. If there is no sign of them on the system, then they are clearly lying.

I did not write the document but I still don't agree with your reading of it .

Nor do I agree with 'reducing benefits ' to reduce the already as I have shown reducing number of Ukrainians arriving here.... as I have said and shown very clearly in my first post in reply to you .

Instead of responding to that you decided to take exception to the language in an EU document about funding .

So think its bit disingenuous to now say " let's help them as much as we can " .

This sort of posting.. not replying to the issue that you in fact raised , or replying with a load of rhetoric that is marginal ...is just verbally bludgeoning a poster replying in good faith , and is not on.

Never mind the fact that this thread is not about Ukrainians , because they are a different entity completely to the subject of the thread and for good reason , off limits from verbiage .

• Advertisement

What I was referring to was EU funding from the Cohesion fund and REACT and others . That is actually 3.5 billion and only one part of the funding . More on the way from the EU and help with money for housing , building etc .

But and it has been said before the numbers are a third of the original amount, and declining , and even if they aren't we will take them , because they are fighting our frontier against a brutal dictator .

Also these people do not come under discussion here as per the thread title and warnings in the OP .

Post edited by Goldengirl on

Advertisement