Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

I seen him v Tullaroan and last weekend against Dicksboro and he looks promising. As do a number of other lads as per the posts above. The more lads put their hand up the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Neewollah

Ross Whelan from the Village is one who impressed me in championship last year and in the early stages of the league this year

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭KK36

Was he not a sub for the Village last year??

A long way off county standard in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Village87

I was at it last week also, Freshford deserved to win, they had James Maher back and 1 or 2 others due to comeback, they were sensational yesterday. scoring 4-28, they could have won by 40 points. Going off yesterday they will be very very hard to beat and I do not think any other team will come within 4/5 points of them. Far to good for Junior

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Boro full strength, Piltown missing a couple - More to come from Piltown, Boro will remain as good as that.

Tullaroan beat Ttown by a point, which would be a bit of a shock. (Ttown have withdrawn their Junior team )

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭hogans heroes

Think tullaroan beating thomastown was more than a bit of a shock, other 3 games could have easily went another way and good to see close competitive games.anyone know the story with clara and st martins

Post edited by hogans heroes on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭larrya

While it is great to have these competitions for the lads involved.

why has the minor championship been fixed for Monday evening and the u15 for Wednesday which will result in some lads involved playing 4 tough games over 5 days.

surely with a whole summer these matches could have been spread out a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭tibruit

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Senditinlow

Was at Co.Board underage championship draws. When dates were giving for championship, the top table were asked by club delegates to push out the start by a week to allow clubs have access to their players and give squad players recovery time before championship, which they don't have for 10 DAYS because of upcoming County Tournaments. The answer we got was dates are tight (Nowlan Park booked for 4 weeks after 1st Rd for minor A & B finals). They said they'd look into it but obviously they don't understand player welfare or give a toss about the club scene. Its about ticking boxes and getting it played off ASAP. Put it another way, would they ask Ballyhale, Boro etc to play knockout championship TWO days after the All Ireland. We as clubs are letting them dictate too much. Very frustrating, Rant over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Totally agree but on the other hand all underage competition should be finished by the end of August instead some finals are being played into November

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭dzer2

What the hell are young lads to do from August till the end of October

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Village87

In fairness to the juvenile committee they have done a great job restructuring the Grades, Roinn A at all levels is increasing numbers every year, Roinn A at minor level has at least 15 teams competing in it this year. therefore more matches in the summer for kids. I agree with above tho, stupid time to start championship.

Roinn A minor may have more teams in it that don't make it more competitive. The 2 finalists from last Yr were not promoted but the 2 losing semi finalists were

What the hell were they doing for the summer the right time for young people to be hurling not a slog in muck and **** later on in the year

Minor league finished mid July. Under19 league and championship running since

The best hurling is always in good weather conditions no argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

People go on holidays during the summer. Minor championship in July and August would be a nightmare for most teams. In a perfect world every competition from U13 up would be played in blazing sunshine on perfect pitches but that's not realistic

Well I know all that but you certainly lose out on top quality matches and individual players skills that only the good conditions bring out ,you see the top players in the country absolutely shining only in good weather

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭kentu

There has been u19, Minor, U15 and U13 all throughout the summer so not sure of your exact point that you're trying to make.

• Advertisement

Freshford were in 4 or 5 Intermediate semi finals before having a bad run of it last year, they played very well in the 1st half of the Intermediate final 2 years ago before a disaster of a 2nd half and that continued on to last year too clearly.

It looks like they have everyone on board this year that they possibly can, over 40 named in the programme anyway which is fair going, are men on a mission big time this year judging by their actions.

I would have them as the front runners to win it out, closely followed by windgap next up, outside of that I think Tullogher, Dicksboro and Ballyragget could take both on a given day. I don't see anyone outside of these 5 putting in a consistent run of form to win a County Final. Then again no one would of backed last year's winners at this stage so it will be very interesting to see what happens when it comes to the knockout stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭larrya

Not sure about that I know our own club hasn’t played U-15 since early July.So that is 6 weeks with no games.

Either way it doesn’t excuse having all these games so close to one another and not allowing clubs access to players in the week leading up to championship.

That's unfortunate so tough on youngsters with a long summer of no games for 6 weeks, I hope their's not too many more clubs like your own in that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

I'd agree with that but that's a separate discussion. There's obviously a lot of internal pressure on the development squads to produce this weekend.

But anyone who has been involved in underage teams knows that running U13, U15 and U17 championship through July and August is completely impractical. Most rural clubs would struggle to field a team and considering it's knockout championship it's just not fair. There's nothing wrong with hurling in September when the league only wrapped up for most clubs in mid July

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭tibruit

I`d agree with all that. The issue really is that a lot of 15 and 16 year olds who are big players within their clubs will be playing county hurling over the weekend and will be lining out for u 17 knockouts on Monday night. The club games should have been put back by a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Senditinlow

Push out the club championship by a week was the obvious solution. The U13 championship could have started next week regardless as there's no intercounty tournament at that age, but as I said earlier the top brass don't give a damn about the club player it's all about ticking boxes and getting championships played off as quick as they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Exams, Holidays ...etc?

But there would potentially be a clash between soccer then?

We (u15) finished playing soccer at the start of july, League starts in first week of Sept.

We are back training 2 weeks, so 6-7 weeks off ! 🙄

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Kentu there is no underage competition finished actually there is no championship run off yet only the u19 which has been delayed already.

The pity here is these competitions are still not complete by October let alone September. My whole point is that hurling is a summer sport especially underage, I am only stating the facts I don’t know what the solution would be. The county champions are not always the best team, the old dog for the hard road. Just look at the Boro flying at the moment will that still be the case at the end of October in different conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Advertisement