Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,442 ✭✭✭✭Water John

You left out, broadcasting regulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I have seen myself agree with him on 2 issue this week, but I don't think he'll carry through, or perhaps he is just saying what is being said around the cabinet table.

He might get on the council of state!

VMTV if they do decide on a chat show should either go for Saturday night or Monday to Thursday at 11pm. I don't see it happening.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Definitely won’t be a chat show- that will be dead in the water before the first show

• Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

"Oh Well" might be nearer the mark

Can't help about the shape I'm in

Can't sing, I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

(and specifically for Kevin Bakhurst)

I might not give the answer that you want me to

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Will ya stop before you give them ideas. Tubs probably already dropping the hint to anyone that will listen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Believe it or not, they are seemingly close enough and Tubs was planning on doing some sort of show with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

🤪 just having the craic while we’re waiting on this big announcement - if it’s not as big as our predictions I’ll be severely disappointed

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Maybe TG4 have snapped him up

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭spuddy

• Registered Users Posts: 60,641 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

He’ll move up to Ulster and take the x-rated scandal departed Stephen Nolan’s spot.

• Advertisement

He was hoping that was his future on RTÉ when he left TLLS, that what I assumed he do, JKF IN IRELAND BY TRAIN.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Isn't it terrible that the BBC do more PSB for Ireland than RTE do - they've done quite a few programs now in the past few years

But fair play to RTE for bringing us those amazing reality shows like Operation Transformation and What are you Eating?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,552 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The RTÉ Autumn/Winter launch should be happen very soon.

It will be interesting to see what they have.

and in the last month RTÉ have repeated those shows from BBC NI, the Oireachtas and an independent producer, dressed up as RTÉ docs. Bought in Irish Docs. From Once Upon A Time in Northern Ireland, Noel Browne and In The Name Of Conlon.

______

Yesterday

No launch this year after spending 80k last year on the RDS and 50k a few years ago, it will be a press release with Press interviews with Patrick Kilty.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 30,552 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I never noticed all I ever thought they did was a few photos in the RTE grounds.

You mean you don't remember those wonky light sticks (was it last year) on the beach

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

You can delete comments on Instagram, that’s why it’s his one and only choice of platform to post his inane tripe, you’ll only see the favourable stuff. I had a comment deleted and I was blocked for a fairly harmless remark about a bookshop he was in which he described as “paradise”. By the way, I think the whole book obsessed look at me “I’m such an intellectual” charade, is just that, another one of his charades. He doesn’t strike me as the type that’s either an avid book reader nor got much going on between his ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Remember this RTÉ gem? A wet week into the first lockdown when we were staring down the barrel of a very grim future.

• Advertisement

Even then I'd be surprised that the Launches weren't expensive. Not sure when they moved out of RTÉ studios.

I actual went to 2 in the same year, one for RTÉ ONE in RTÉ and then one in Dublin City for RTÉ2, around 2014.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭stevejr

RTE are a national embarrassment at this stage. But it didn't have to be like this.

Some people may baulk at the comparison but look at the IRFU. Think about where both organisations came from and where they are today. In the past, they were similar in many ways.

-Similar network of old boys from the upper echelons of society. Check.

-Guaranteed government funding and commercial revenue. Check.

-Loyal supporters and audiences, in RTE's case. Check.

The IRFU also had disadvantages that RTE never had.

-Historically the GAA was the 'favoured son' of successive governments.

-The success of another major competitor the FAI with Jack Charlton, Italian 90.

-A crumbling headquarters in Landsdown Road.

-Real, not imagined, competition from abroad for some of their best assets. The players in IRFU' case.

I'm no acolyte for the IRFU but you'd have to acknowledge that they've done a phenomenal job.

Their sustained success for 20 years now has given them;

-rapid growth of their audience share.

-products, ie the national team and provinces, that are envied across the world.

-the admiration and respect of thier international colleagues.

-a shiny new HQ, the Aviva-one of Europe's best stadiums.

-a sustainable exciting future.

RTE had the templates for success(BBC, IRFU etc). They had ample funding. They had a 100% government-funded infrastructure. They had the goodwill of the people. They even had a monopoly. They had everything.

They've now squandered everything. Do you think there might be a recurring theme here?

Post edited by stevejr on

What's the reason for being reasonable?

Is that an unreasonable question?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Orange-Coca-Cola

I could not say what he is planning on suing for, but I do know it is not a secret that he is gearing up for it. He could be planning on suing rte for bringing his company into disrepute at a guess, and blaming them for clients lost and potential clients not gained. I do not know if that is his plan, just that he is gearing up to sue. I agree that he would be making a much bigger mess for himself and his clients, but then again, I do not know if he studied business or management anywhere, or learned as he went. It could be an empty threat to Bakhurst, or it may even be a legit attempt at making more money. If the latter is the case, then I would also guess that he is playing his hand very early. Whatever the reaso it should show us what Bakhurst is capable of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭hawley

The main difference between the two is that in RTE barely anybody actually cares about the organisation. They're only interested in drawing as much cash out of it as possible.

Another one NK's acolytes trying to continue Tubridy’s pity party. Martin King's wife. Martin is also a client of NKM. Funny how none of these people ever mention facts like that.

'I put up a little post -- well, a little story this morning about Ryan Tubridy and somebody had mentioned how badly treatment he has been, and I totally agree,' she said.

'That's my opinion, I just think he's been treated... Okay, whatever happened happened, I just think he's been treated very badly.'

Jenny went on to reiterate her thanks, noting that 'not one person has said a bad word about him.'

"They're only interested in drawing as much cash out of it as possible".

In other words, a Ponzi Scheme.

It's OK to be annoyed at hubris, dishonourable behaviours, delusion and their consequences.

As people get to know more, this annoyance may grow.

I'm sure people recall the recent Oceangate disaster. It was a tragic incident. An example of hubris by Stockton Rush, brought to an extreme and absolute disaster. Lives lost because of one man's ego. The wet claustrophia of that situation made it all the more graphic for me.

So me being me, the inevitable rabbit-hole beckoned and logically led to the Titanic and it's history. I don't wish to trivialise any tragedy in support of an argument. But human behaviour is fascinating, and that's what we are all talking about at the end of the day. Bad behaviour. Poor choices. And it occurred to me. We are seeing J Bruce Ismay all over again. Not that anyone has done something so cowardly here with the RTE Scandal, I'm talking more about the dishonourable choices people make.

There's no two ways about it, Tubridy made a dishonourable choice. With the €300K+ top-up, he chose to save his own skin while many of his crew were going under. Covid in Ireland sunk a lot of people, nearly 3000, may they rest in peace. It psychology and financially damaged many others. This was the context in which Tubridy acted. He thought he was heading for calm waters.

But back to the Titanic. Tubridy is well-deserving of a small hearty slice of the public distaste that J Bruce Ismay received.

During Covid, to rub salt-water in the wound, warm under his patriotic green blanket Tubridy, snug and safe, smugly grinned around the lifeboat at the traumatised survivers. We're all in the same boat, he said. He thought he'd always know more than everyone else on the lifeboat. Ismay made that mistake as well. 

the funniest ones were celebrating the gbnews rumours like it was a win 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

I'm a big fan of BBC4 and there's so many great programmes pumped out, not only about British history and culture but other nations too.

Why is it that RTE can't do programmes about Ireland pre 19th century. There were people here going back thousands of years but according to the PSB, Irish history began with the famine or the Rising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Karppi

I have never heard of Jenny McCarthy, but the fact that she's the wife of an NKM "talent" pretty well invalidates any comment she might make, as far as I am concerned

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement