Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2023 World Athletics Championships, Budapest

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭patob

Great achievement and surprise win by Josh Kerr. The arrogance disappeared quickly from Ingebrigtsen when he realised Josh had his number. Not much humility evident in the afters either, complaining of illness in recent days.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Couldn't believe when I read on Twitter that he's claiming he's sick! Pretty pathetic behaviour really, this is why it's getting harder and harder to like the guy. Did the exact same thing when he lost to Tefera in Belgrade.

Post edited by yerwanthere123 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Jakob had a fooking face of thunder after the loss. Tool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭global23214124

Fair play to Rhasidat. Pity she didn't get a medal but she'll only improve from here. Do Ireland have a team for the 400m women's relay on Aug 27th?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,703 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Have to admit I was delighted to see Ingebritsen lose....no doubt a supremely talented athlete but seems to be a bit of a dick.

Warholm on the other hand is a true superstar.

Tough going for Adeleke - there was a split second in the last 80m or so where it looked like she might have a sniff of bronze but faded ever so slightly from there on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,740 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Ingrbritsen looked very tense on the start line. Not sure why he went to the front when he failed to string out the field.

For all his big talk, it looks like nerves got the better of him. Looked like he didn't know what to do when he hit the front, when we've seen time and time again in the Diamond Leagues that he knows exactly how to win these kind of races.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Adeleke, Mageean, Lavin, absolutely fantastic performances. Setting national records at a major championships is not an easy task. And while Adeleke did not run as fast as she potentially could time-trial, either did anybody else in her race: there wasn't a single PB or even SB in the race, so it really doesn't seem like it was ideal 400m conditions. Even if every remaining Irish athlete pulls out, it will still have been a great championships for Ireland on the back of these three women alone

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

We're spoilt with free BBC HD here

Lots of posters on letsrun complaining about streams and ads

• Advertisement

Fair few harsh comments on Ingebrigtsen. He absolutely was not ungracious after Tefera beat him in Belgrade: https://www.letsrun.com/news/2022/03/samuel-tefera-upsets-olympic-champ-jakob-ingebrigtsen-in-thriller/. And he tested positive for COVID the day after that final, so it's not exactly unbelieveable he didn't feel great.

Tonight he was clearly frustrated after the race, but he didn't throw a strop by any means. He took an interview with Virgin Media Ireland of all networks, which I very much doubt he was required to do. And I didn't see any comments from him that he was sick or ill. He said he wasn't feeling at his best, which is no different from the vast majority of interviews with favourites who don't win. Is he cocky? Absolutely. But so are Mondo, Tamberi, Lyles, Fraser-Pryce, Stahl, and many more. Personally, I'd much rather have a few more Jakobs in the stadium.

Tonight, he really seemed to lose the psychological battle. Almost every 1500m race, he sits at the back of the pack and takes stock, before deciding how he'll win. In the final, he went for a wire-to-wire win. He's obviously talented enough to do it, but it's an incredibly difficult feat. I do wonder whether it was part of the plan or a spur-of-the-moment decision. I think people forget that, at 22, he's still only two years older than Adeleke.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Literally could/should have been DQd the other day for going around the hurdle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Paulino ran a national record in the race, Williams was 0.02 seconds off her PB and Kaczmarek was only 0.09 seconds off her PB. Great achievement by Adeleke and she'll be back stronger in years to come but she didn't perform at her best, the others did, nothing to do with the conditions.

Did he go around and under , or around and over

Around the hurdle above hurdle height is allowed afaik

• I saw two different interviews with him and on the Virgin one he said his throat was sore after the semi's and he wasnt feeling great.

On the Lets Run interview he said his legs didnt feel great after 700m but didnt mention a sore throat.

Personally I like seeing a mix of competition and not just the one person winning all the time and I'm delighted to see Kerr win. Hes been battling away for the past few years and its paid off at last.

It would be nice to see Nuguse pushing up as well and adding to the challenge.

Sure thats how world records are made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Was that the 1st hurdle? I thought I saw something and was going to rewind to look at it again but didn't bother.

Fair, I missed Paulino's NR, not sure whether WA didn't have it in the initial graphic, or I just missed it (probably the latter)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ro_p_ro1986

Well done to Adeleke, great achievement at such a young, at any age really. Deep down there will be some disappointment from her there, but that's only a good thing.

As for the race itself, I don't think it helped that Klaver in the lane outside her took off like a rocket. That's where experience of the event might kick in and a more experienced athlete might recognise what is happening. It seemed Adeleke might have panicked at that stage a bit. Doesn't help that this is the end of a very long and very hard season for her either.

Again, all positive signs for the future. Great stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

He went "through" it and around it:

https://twitter.com/eurosport/status/1693699761566560543?t=Wshah0BwaU2qcPHuJu1wQg&s=19

• Subscribers Posts: 693 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

Totally agree. Have enjoyed watching his meteoric rise so far and I hope to watch him break the records now. Jesus like, he's 22, and what, he waved his hands and attempted to stoke up the crowd!? Give the lad a break, how could you not get a little carried away, he's only a young fella and for the most part is leagues ahead of his peers, it has to be hard to keep a lid on that at his age. Can't understand people wanting a talent like him to lose for such petty reasons. Few seconds off his pace, not unrealistic that he was sick in some way. Griggs was the same in the heats, and spoke of being sick afterwards.

Post edited by FlipperThePriest on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,115 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Watching it back, Rhasidat ran a better race than I remembered. She put herself in a good position to win, say, a bronze medal in the home straight but simply ran out of gas in the last 50m.

You possibly argue that this is no bad thing heading into Paris. She's is going to be hungry for a medal but is not going to have the weight of expectation on her shoulders either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭deisedude

Only problem is you will likely have Miller-Uibo back on form, Sydney Mcglaughlin and that drug cheat El Naser in the mix too. Britton Wilson will surely have learned too from this year

Womens 400m is so incredibly stacked

Nobody knows really what the future will bring

Theres unknown talent out there that will probably be in the mix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,115 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

For sure, but at least it means there will be no weight of expectation on Rhasidat in Paris. She's never won a senior medal for Ireland, so anything would be a bonus and considered a huge success.

• I wonder if Kerr will regret disclosing exactly how he was able to beat ingebrigtsen

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭SuspectZero

It was definitely his plan, the race was a carbon copy of last years World 1500. He's not a very good kicker so its the only choice he has though and the problem with being a frontrunner is you have to be substantially better than your opponents to run away from them, if Kerr was in low 3:28/high 3:27 shape last night which is entirely possible given his close, Jakob is not going to run away from him frontrunning. And if he leaves it up to a kick, there's guys there who are substantially better 800m runners who are bigger kickers(like Lewandowski obliteratating him in indoors a few years back)

Tokyo was a perfect race for Jakob in hindsight, he wasn't the favorite so didn't have to try control the race or front run as Cheruioyt took on those duties as defacto pacemaker and Jakob could just do what people are doing to him right now and sit on his shoulder. I'm not hating on him on him but he's being vulnerable in almost every championship 1500 he's run. Lewandowski beating him in Glasgow, Tefera at World indoors, Wightman last year, Gourley at Euro Indoors and now Kerr. He's the best 1500 runner in the World but but he doesn't have the qualities(not a big even enough kicker and not so far ahead that he can simply just outrun everyone in Championships.

Its only going to get tougher for him too as the number of guys going under 3:30 now is crazy and some of them are monster kickers too. Laros is an 18 year old 1:44/3:31 guy, Wightman is 1:43/3:29 guy, Nordas looks like he's improving fast and has a better kick than Jakob, Kerr seems to be much faster than his PB suggests. If Katir is back, he's a 3:28 guy who will be very hard to outrun in a championship race.

The same goes for the 5000, its going to be much harder there too with all these low 12:40 guys, I believe a lot of them are in 12:3x shape Jakob included but its going to be very hard to be beat guys who are running 4:54 and 4:56 Last 2k's at in 12:40-12:42 races. The fields are closing in which makes it exciting but doesn't play into the hands of Jakob dominating.

Post edited by SuspectZero on

Cheptegei out of the 5,000, which is good news for Brian Fay in heat 1 as it frees up a place. Hoping Fay can sneak in, but it won't be easy.

Thinking Jakob will be over his sniffles and qualify with ease. Intrigued to see Nordas in there also, will be interesting to see how he does after winning bronze last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭SuspectZero

Nvm, just seen Jakob was in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭4Ad

Hi, free tkt for tonight for anyone that wants it..PM me.....

• Advertisement

Brian Fay doesn't make it unfortunately. Jakob qualified with ease, Nordas very nearly run out of it.

McSweyn tripped with about two laps to go and couldn't get back into it. Such a great athlete, a shame to see him out.

Advertisement