Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

I know someone who died from it, two who were hospitalized (oldest was in their 50's and no underlying). Most who get it are alright, like a bad cold, but several friends have had it for a couple of weeks, one was coughing and had symptoms for 2 months.

I hope she is on the mend now. I presume she is boosted to the max and masking at her check ups too? Yet she still got sick, despite the extreme precautions

Precautions don't "stop" Covid, they reduce risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,050 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Is that my post you quoted ? Don't know why you didn't quote my complete post and let me know you were referring to it at least ?

Yes ..immunocompromised , very ...did you not read that part ? Post cancer treatment . Hence why they didn't want to go back to hospital .

Some people are vulnerable no matter what they do and with all the precautions in the world .

As @jackboy said they will never be able to relax .

Not saying everybody else is at this stage due to immunity from infection and vaccination , changing severity of variants .

But people who are immunocompromised like the person I refer to, has been clear all along until they attended for a check up and picked it up in there probably . It's still a risk for some but not others as I clearly said in my post .

But others need to be aware as well if you are going to be in contact with someone like that .

It's not just elderly people who get very sick with this .

• Registered Users Posts: 38,240 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I caught it for the first time in March, was gutted to contract it after going so long.

I had midland cold symptoms for a couple of days.

I don't know anybody that's immunocompromised but I always wear a mask when visiting old people. It's the only time I wear a mask. If they are happy for me to take it off I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

New variant dubbed the real deal detected in UK Pirola strain

'Real deal' Covid variant is now in Britain: Patient is hospitalised in London with heavily-mutated 'Pirola' strain - and experts think they caught it IN the UK | Daily Mail Online

Virologists are unsettled because of the catalogue of mutations it carries on its spike protein, the piece of the virus vaccines were designed to target. 

But

Others, however, have warned it's far too early to panic. No evidence shows Pirola is any more of a threat than the dozens of strains that have come before it. So far

Shin

Yes. Thanks Shinzon .

Just to clarify, this is the same variant that has been flagged in the last week with 30+ mutations on the spike protein.

The media reports are confusing as it is the same one ..calling it allsorts :) .BA 6 , BA X , BA 2.86 , '' Pi " , and now also" Pirola " .

It is a variant being monitored which has cropped up in a few places , but not yet a VOC .

They think it can evade immunity however everybody except those immunocompromised has mostly hybrid immunity now from infections and vaccines so it is hoped it will do no more than cause a bit of a wave over the next few months .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

What happens if this becomes a variant of concern? Will it be back to mask mandates?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,341 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I guess they will have to reject people arriving in to the country without a negative test, that would be 'interesting' in these times 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Posted this in the work problems area but no real responses. Can anyone help me with what rights I have here

I have completed my 5 day isolation period and meet the HSE criteria of symptoms mostly gone for the last 48 hours. My employer is saying because I didn't take a test until Monday I should stay out for 5 days from that time.

Totally arbitrary as nothing in the HSE advice mentioning isolating from the time of a positive test. Feel like asking them to pay me for the time they are telling me to stay out beyond the required HSE isolation period.

Thoughts?

If you're following HSE advice, you should also avoid vulnerable or high risk people for 10 days. So maybe your workplace doesn't want you in work because it's not up to them to tell you who's high risk in your job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

I would respect that if they just said it and but they came up with some baloney about the 5 days being from when I was tested. I have kept saying it is 5 days from start of symptoms and they ignore it, saying I am arguing with them.

It would be possible to work on my own in any case. Could leave site for lunch etc.

I have a doctors letter saying that I have completed my 5 days of isolation and sent it to them, no response as of yet. If they want me to stay off beyond what is required they should still pay me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

It's the Daily Mail so to be taken with a pinch of salt - the cases in US and UK have apparently doubled in past month and hospitalisations apparently rising too.

No . It would just mean a wave of infections which may cause more hospitalisation, spread in hospitals and care homes and ICU cases .

Probably back to masks in all healthcare again if that were the case .

It's no more than we had for Omicron in the last year .

Are they not going to pay you anyway ? You have a doctor's note .

What am I missing ..sorry ?

It's been reported widely but the Daily Nail has done a few this week, all with different bands on the same variant :)

What's stopping someone from testing on a Monday, becoming positive and saying they had symptoms on Saturday and Sunday when they didn't and expecting to be back in work again on Thursday? Easier to go with isolation from positive test.

Wow ..autocorrect gone mad!

Edit ..Daily Mail ...different NAMES

• Registered Users Posts: 29,418 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Hundreds of hospital wards were closed in Scotland up to end of July due to covid outbreaks

At least 237 wards were closed to new admissions - typically for periods of around seven to 10 days - in a bid to prevent the virus spreading to other patients. That compares to a total of 93 ward closures up to the end of July for all other infection control incidents combined, including cases of norovirus, flu, RSV, or gastroenteritis... The true figures will be higher, however, as NHS Dumfries and Galloway has not yet responded to a freedom of information request and NHS Lothian - Scotland's second largest health board - said it was unable to provide data.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

It's causing disruption in schools in America as well and schools only went back a few weeks ago there.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Gamergurll

I brought my son to a HSE dentist yesterday, it was like stepping into a time machine. They wouldn't let us in without phoning first for them to unlock the door, instructed us to use the hand sanitizer and wouldn't let us in without wearing a mask. Social distancing still in place seats 2 metres apart and I had to sit in the distance in the dentists room too, no holding my sons hand stuff. Haven't obviously seen any of this stuff in a while and it was a bit creepy, I felt like I was stepping back to a time of extreme paranoid. I am not downplaying covid in any way of course but I sure am relieved we are past those times!

They referred him on to the main hospital in town and when we went there nothing at all it was completely normal so obviously not something they are all doing..

• Advertisement

I don't see what's "extremely paranoid" or "creepy" about it... the dentist will be working at very close quarters, and there is a spike in covid cases.

Would you prefer your appointment was cancelled because the dental staff got sick?

It is an "abundance of caution" but need to consider that the dentist or one of their staff could be especially vulnerable to covid.

Sure but the second dentist we were at had no precautions, same as a dental clinic I was at myself recently. If its so dangerous why are they not all doing the same

Consider that the dentist or one of their staff could be especially vulnerable to covid. Or maybe thinks will have less sick days not just to covid but other respiratory viruses with these precautions. Or maybe this particular dentist treats a lot of patients they deem to be vulnerable.

The other dentist may have better ventilation.

All kinds of possible explanations without having to resort to 'creepy' or 'paranoid'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,210 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Unless the dentist can work on a patients teeth through a mask then making them wear one in the waiting room is completely pointless when the mask is getting removed after a few minutes. I'm assuming they aren't making them wear a properly fitted n95 or similar so most will be wearing cloth or surgical masks which aren't stopping anything anyway.

They are going to be exposed to patients saliva and possible viral particles that become aerosolized during certain procedures. It's just a fact of life when you're a dentist. If they are concerned for their health then they should wear a proper non surgical mask, or change jobs. This nonsense of treating people who aren't even sick as nothing but disease vectors should really be a thing of the past at this stage.

You don't know if they are sick do you. Or with what, it doesn't even have to be covid - could be flu. How do you know they aren't sick? Well?

They could have an air filter unit \ better ventilation in the room where the dental work occurs, but not in the waiting room. In the waiting room they could be mingling with more people. You just don't know.

Your solution is to change jobs! Sure, cos we have so many dentists? So no solution at all really.

While surgical type masks aren't as effective as n95 to state they "aren't stopping anything" is without foundation.

But you feel free to second guess the dentist here for taking some basic precautions. Sure, they are the one engaged in nonsense, not the one suggesting they quit their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,210 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

They managed to do their jobs without requiring masks for all the decades prior when the flu, colds and various other viruses were doing the rounds. How did they ever survive?! If you don't want to be exposed to people's exhalations then being a dentist is literally the worst career choice possible.

By all means, air filters are probably a good idea anyway, and proper PPE for themselves can help reduce their own exposure during procedures. Making patients wear a crappy mask in the waiting area is performative nonsense.

Covid is more serious than flus and colds. It alters the equation.

You know what else happened in all those years? Staff out sick with those various viruses, appointments cancelled.

And sometimes people did not survive.

Maybe they had the precautions in place during the height of covid and realised they made sense and why were they unnecessarily putting themselves at risk.

People accumulate health issues as they get older, priorities change too. Suggesting someone stop being a dentist is no solution at all, and it is not like they can go back in time and change their degree.

Sorry you didn't like my use of language but I do stand by my point of feeling like the whole thing was a bit ott. Like a lot of people my mental health took a good whack during lock down and I think the reminder of it maybe gave me a bit of a fright, that is my problem of course!

I have no issue with people in a health care setting taking precautions of course, especially with vulnerability they might have. But my son couldn't wear a mask during treatment, if I had something he most likely would too. It seemed like more of a token gesture, the cloth masks aren't going to be very protective.

We were in A&E in may and there was none of this, the shields were down and over the 3 day stay there was never a mask requirement. And I would feel a lot more at risk in a hospital.

If I was ill in any way be it covid or any other bug I wouldn't attend an appointment. Staff of course I think can and should wear protection, but all those extra layers yesterday no, we can't be wrapped up in cotton wool forever

• Registered Users Posts: 86,180 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I think the next batch of booster jabs and the winter flu jab will be brought forward here like in the UK

• Advertisement

Hard to believe that's time of year is upon us in a month or so.

Advertisement