Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Velux window Cost for Installation

Options
  • 22-03-2016 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering on a ball park figure to put a velux window into a roof that is over your typical 3 bed semi kitchen extension?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

€750 supply and fit for a new build job
    €1000 supply and fit for a renovation job

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

kieran. wrote: »
    €750 supply and fit for a new build job
    €1000 supply and fit for a renovation job

Is that price per Window or for fitting both. ?

sky6 wrote: »
    Is that price per Window or for fitting both. ?

Both price are supply of the roof window and labour for fitting

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Both price are supply of the roof window and labour for fitting

€1000 to supply and fit 2 velux Windows with associated flashings?
    Are you sure?

I would have said more towards the €1500 mark tbh, especially a retrofit considering the Windows themselves are over €200 each before you buy the flashings.

I got a small builder in to price something similar for a very very small house refurb recently here in Dublin and he quoted €2200.

• Advertisement

OP asked for a velux I took this as singular :)

Price is per window so €1500 for 2 / €2250 for 3 new build and approx. €1000 per window retro fit all + VAT @13.5%

and all very approx. just to give the OP the ballpark figure he was looking for :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭dodzy

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Just wondering on a ball park figure to put a velux window into a roof that is over your typical 3 bed semi kitchen extension?
    Is the kitchen ceiling lean-to or flat ? This would have a bearing on the cost also.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

OP asked for a velux I took this as singular :)

Price is per window so €1500 for 2 / €2250 for 3 new build and approx. €1000 per window retro fit all + VAT @13.5%

and all very approx. just to give the OP the ballpark figure he was looking for :cool:

Agh, I seen the post about fitting both, I just assumed he wanted two but I see now that he meant both supply and fit :)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,533 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

HI all looking for the rough cost of the skylight 1 meter by 2 meters big - just the window itself as well as rough cost for fitting? anybody any ideas? Thanks

about €600 incl flashings
    https://roofit.ie/velux-ggl-pk10-3070-pine-laminated-centre-pivot-roof-window-94x160cm.html

about €400 for fitting

approx

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Looking to have a 0.66m x 1.4m velux window installed on a 22.5 degree slated lean to roof. Can anyone provide me with a rough cost of supply & fit, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Ciprian Hotea

Looking forward for a price for supply and fit 2 windows 780/1400 center pivot and a skylight 550/980.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I'm feeling I should have shopped around more but I've paid nearly 6k to have four velux windows replaced in Limerick.

I thought the bulk of the price was for the windows but on checking it looks like windows and flashings would have cost just under 3k.

Work, including measuring, took less than a day for one guy and a young lad he had helping.

Is that just 2023 prices or have I been ripped off?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

For a replacement, that's seems expensive, you paid about 3k for a days labor.

Looks that way, I should have shopped around more but I until I checked I thought the windows were more expensive, and there was more work involved.

Went with a Velux approved guy so thought it should all be above board. Guess not.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭FJMC

These are just budget costs - the actual cost will depend on a host of factors - size of the rooflight, roof alteration, roof finish (tiles or slates), internal finish, storey height, location, rooflight opening mechanism, type of glazing, blinds, etc.

F

Out of interest I've started looking for prices to fit only.

Only one guy responded so far and quoted 3100 + vat to fit the four windows!!!

I'm in a dormer bungalow with a slate roof and this is replacement only. No-one has suggested there's anything anyway difficult or exceptional about my job.

Is that in line with elsewhere in the country or is there maybe a bit of funny business going on in my area.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 GReid2005

I recently got some work done that included installing 1 780x1400 Rooflite and 1 1180x1400 Velux. The other works done included pushing 2 16ft width eave walls back to create more room in the upstairs bedrooms in the dormer, they reinsulated the new walls, removed the T&G from the ceiling and slabbed the new walls and ceilings. Cost me 2350Euro for all the labour, took them 5 days to do all the works with the 2 roof window's taking a day, and it was a crew of 2. THese were new window's being installed, not replacement of old roof windows so new openings had to be cut into the roof.

Think you'd be mad to pay that price.

I didn't pay the 3100 + vat but did get stuck for the 2500 incl vat.

I thought the job was a lot more complicated that it was.

But a warning to everyone, it looks like there's serious gouging at work.

If by any chance you're based in the Limerick/Cork/Kerry area it would be great if you could PM me those guys details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Sadly tight labour market, lucky to get quotes at all on some jobs. Total lack of supply of trades. And busy people do almost no research. Always get 3 quotes seems a strong rule - so even if uninformed or busy you can probably protect yourself.

😎

I had always found that in more rural areas prices seemed to be more reasonable and didn't follow this rule. Will be doing so from now on!

I'd also advise that unless it's an emergency, hold off on having work done. There doesn't seem to be any value at all in a lot of jobs at present.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

On the later point about waiting. I debated this with myself, not sure, it feels good to say screw the high price. However, there is no signs of an immediate recession. There is a labour shortage. There is a massive need to retrofit homes and buildings by 2030. Even if things slow down it feels like there will continue to be a lot of work for trades people, especially those willing to adapt what they do by even small amount. I am not sure what levers will see price of jobs falling any time soon. I am kind to resigned to getting some quotes to avoid rewarding those who are the greediest - those who take advantage of people not being knowledgeable, as opposed to just being a bit expensive.

😎

Advertisement