Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bought a bike...

Options
  • 02-08-2023 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

Hi all,

I bought a bike from adverts, a TT bike, full carbon frame, carbon wheelset, and ultegra groupset. I was watching the ad for a while, and the price went down a lot over a few weeks, and it got to the point where I couldn't help myself, placed an offer. User accepted, and I drove an hour or so to pick it up. Super nice person, helped me get the bike in the car, I took a quick look, nothing intense, happy with it and went home.

I left it in the car, and the next day in the morning, went to my local bike shop. I knew the seat was too high, and I just wanted them to take a look over it. Immediately the shop person tells me the frame is cracked around the seat post, and unfixable. Definitely scrap. The rest of the parts are a pretty solid purchase, but the frame isn't safe due to the likelihood of it cracking worse when I try to take the saddle down. He tells me he also would struggle as the bolts are so tightly over tightened and wound down, he's not sure he could get them unscrewed without causing further damage anyway.

I guess I'm just annoyed at myself. I text the guy - I got a very defensive message back "Definitely wasn't cracked when I sold it" type of response. I believe he didn't know it was cracked, but it absolutely was, considering the type of cracks and damage. Caveat Emptor no doubt, a lesson learned for me.

Is there any hope for the frame? Should I just take off all the parts? TT handlebars, nearly new TT seat, and the 11 speed ultegra groupset - I could just sell on cycling adverts here. Wondering for advice, and also just to share my story - be careful when buying a preloved bike!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

That’s a shame.

I’ve has similar happen to me in the past, albeit with road bikes.

Most recently, I bought a very lightly used carbon bike, and like you, I inspected it when I got to the seller’s house. But it was difficult to inspect properly when the seller was there chatting etc

Anyway I got the bike home and when I inspected it properly, I found that the frame was cracked. Pretty sure the seller was genuine and didn’t know it was cracked so I contacted her and asked for a part refund. From memory, I requested approx. 20% of the price of the bike. I sent her some pics as proof and she was happy to refund that amount. Would that be an option for you? Do you think the seller would agree to a part refund? Even a modest one is better than nothing.

You could always strip the bike and sell for parts as you suggest. Or keep an eye out for another TT frame and build that up instead.

Difficult to know if your current frame is scrap without seeing it or seeing pics..

Post edited by nicksnikita on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

FWIW, I sold a bike on here a good few years ago now, and the guy who bought it did a strip down when he got home and noticed that the head tube (aluminum) had a crack. Sent me pictures, I genuinely had no idea, and it cycled fine for me.

I offered to take back the frame and effectively sell the group set and useful parts, which was accepted.

The frame (which I liked) is now artwork.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Can you go to one of the Carbon repair companies and see can it be salvaged that way. Plenty of riders in my club league are riding repaired frames for years with out issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Smiley012

I will send pictures later on so you can see - it's so tiny on one side, and more obvious on the other side.

Seller was immediately defensive - although my message was in no way accusatory, I assumed he wasn't aware. I sent another message back in response explaining that but now no response. Think he'd get more defensive to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Paddigol

I know the mechanic in Cycleplus, Greystones is a certified carbon frame repairer. Depending where you're based it might be worth dropping in to him to see whether he thinks is repairable. He's a straight talking fella, so if it's a job that he wouldn't be able to stand over he'll tell you.

• Advertisement

On the second picture you can see the crack just above the bolt - sorry for the awkward pictures but hopefully you can see.

On the third picture - this is what the mechanic said was a bigger issue - I can't see is as much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what brand is the frame? the finish is not exactly professional looking.

I think it was sprayed and the guy who sold it said something like B2? Or Bii?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If he sprayed it, I'd say he absolutely knew of the crack and there may be more hidden

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the paint looks a little odd here - the paint is not cracked, more bubbled. as weepise suggested, could have been painted after the crack formed:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Yeah it doesn't exactly look like a pro level spray job. On the other hand, I think you would want to inspect a bike closely enough in the future to see such a crack, it would be different if it was behind the crankset or something but in the photos at least, it looks quite obvious. How much did it cost you?

Also is it definitely 11 speed? That's a 10 speed chainset, and the derailleur looks an older 10 speed too

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

Felt B2, probably 2006 model? And as already mentioned, who knows what else that paint is hiding ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

I really don't want to make things worse but I don't think that frame is full carbon as you mentioned in the OP - I suspect it's welded alloy. They look like weld beads plus the chip under the clamp seems to be exposing aluminium rather than carbon

I think it is a Felt S22 alloy model. It could be anything between 11 and 17 years old. If the rear seat stays are carbon, I think it was the version that came out in 2006 and was replaced around 2012. If they are alloy, its a little newer.

someone mentioned it might be a felt B2 - and it looks like it based on the shape - and the only thing mentioned here which is carbon are the seat stays.

"Felt Superlite 7005 custom-formed aerodynamic aluminum frame with carbon fiber wishbone seat stays, integrated aero seat post clamp"

https://products.roadbikereview.com/product/latest-bikes/triathlon-bike/felt/b2-366261.html

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Yup, that looks.like an alloy frame which on the plus side means you coul try welding at the cracked area

As gn3dr mentioned, you could have it welded. However you might consider the following:

1) Strip the bike down and inspect every part of it. If it means sanding paint off in spots, so be it. No point getting that clamp area repaired only to find cracks elsewhere. Its probably a rattle-can spray job so touching-up any sanded areas afterwards should be straightforward.

2) Find a decent welder, used to working on thin wall alloy. Some lad who has been stick-welding 1/2" plate for the local structural steel shop will just blow holes through that frame.

3) There was a recall for Felt TT forks some years ago - see if the S22 / B2 was affected. It probably won't be covered anymore but again, no point throwing good money after bad. In that set-up, there is a lot of leverage on the steerer tube

4) Looking at the B2 / S22 reviews a number of people had issues with the seatpost slipping. What probably happened is that the original owner experienced this, over-tightened the clamps and cracked the frame. There are some suggestions out there about stopping the slipping using paper tape etc.

5) I'd be taking a very close look at the wheels too - not because anything looks wrong but just because who knows what else the seller was hiding.

If you can get the clamp sorted and the front end tidied up, and maybe few Felt decals, the bike should tidy up nicely.

that raises the question - is a potentially 16 year old damaged aluminium frame worth that effort?

I looked at it last night wondering was it alu. If it is, have they also sanded down the welds or something to make it look a bit smoother. I'm sorry OP, but I think you've possibly been conned a bit here. Possible they've stuck something from an 11 speedd groupset on there and said it's 11 speed.

I'd love to see the original ad, but as a Mod, I also have to say don't post it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Ooof sorry OP but that frame is for the bin, I hope you got it very cheap. What is going on with that stem? 🙈

I wouldn't bother wasting another minute on it, strip it down, bin the frame and keep any eye out for another TT frame. The parts aren't the best but assume they're functional. Based on the frameset the wheels are probably Chinese but they may be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Being nosey I had a search with the OP username on Adverts and looking at their comments you can fairly quickly find the original ad. As mentioned above I won't post it up here. It doesn't say in the ad that it was a carbon frame or that it is 11 speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

Judging by frame shape, I think it might be the 2008 S22 mentioned above and it is included in fork recall. Worth checking if the fork is the original if possible.

Edited to add that the fork does look different than the one in link.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Id have offered 200, its what its worth, in spare parts. The wheels dont look great either. Even from a distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,641 ✭✭✭standardg60

Note to self, don't use the same username on different sites.

Bound to be corrected here but if the OP wants to lower the saddle is that crack going to be that dangerous?

Hi all!

Wow thank you for the responses. As you can see, I'm a very long time user of both boards and adverts and actually have the same user account as they used to be coupled I think?

Good to get the feedback on the bike as a whole, really appreciate this. I may end up using the frame as artwork like someone suggested but that bad paint job would put me off! So into the bin it would be.

The bolts are so worn down, I can't even turn it to adjust the saddle height, and when I tried the frame definitely didn't like it.

I mean, this was buyer error I think, and I learned a lesson - I got excited based on the look, and what little I do know about bikes! But goes to show I should have been more careful. The seller isn't interested in responding at all - so despite my initial feel on him, I think I was wrong!

Now my local bike shop (well known) have said the wheels are good wheels, and in excellent condition, so I'll use those. I'll sell whatever is in good condition as parts. A good project to see what I can take apart.

This was the description of the bike from the seller

"Size 50cm TT bike full Ultegra groupset, 50mm carbon wheels with dt Swiss 350 hubs wrapped in 25mm 4000s 2 tyres , 4iii power meter included , Ism saddle , Buta bottle, nutrition storage and extra water bottle holder at the back , Lovely fast bike !

Needs nothing carbon wheelset and power meter included!"

The Buta bottle was mouldy and needed throwing, the mount broke immediately, the nutrition storage was also very dirty.

I had notions I suppose. I'm sad about it, but a valuable lesson.

Also - when I picked it up I asked if the frame was carbon, and he said it was - now after what you're all saying - I'm assuming it probably isn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,650 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Bike shop should be able to tell you if the frame is carbon or not easily enough.

You should be able to strip the group set off and sell it with the power meter for a couple hundred quid, and the wheels you might get a couple hundred depending on how worn the braking surface is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 yang07

Riding TT bike offers several benefits for cyclists and those looking to maximize their performance in time trial or triathlon events. The replacement of the frame may be the best option. This could be costly, but safety is always the top priority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

Advertisement