Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Advocates of direct exchequer funding argue RTE would do more of that sort of stuff under their preferred model because it would no longer have to woory about ratings....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Probably because it's convenient to blame the Brits for everything. And if we did real history on mediaeval Ireland, we might just find uncomfortable truths.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I would bet all hes going to do as his "new beginning" is a sh1tty podcast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭hawley

I've made this comment to people on numerous occasions. Irish people have a very limited knowledge of the history of our country. RTE has been utterly useless in producing any type of history programmes or documentaries. You just hear the same things over and over. 1916, the Famine, War of Independence, JFK, Michael Collins, the church controlled everyone etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭squonk

Agreed. We just keep rehashing the big ticket events and people. There is a lot of interesting pre famine Irish history, even 18th century and early 19th century Ireland.

I don’t know why we can’t get an Irish Simon Schama to deal with earlier historic events. Personally I’m bored of the Danone, the rising, civil war, war of independence, dev, Michael Collins and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Eh because they’re too feicing lazy and make too much money by doing feic all would be my number 1 guess.

Hell and Monto were two notorious areas of Dublin in the early part of the 20th century - full of prostitution and a far cry from the good olde Catholic Ireland we’ve been led to believe all these years, as you could get.

The power of the Catholic Church only commenced as we know it today, after the foundation of the state. I’d love to learn a lot more about how Irish people lived and just what exactly they thought, pre 19th century- I don’t think it would be maidens dancing at the crossroads, that’s for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭RoTelly

RTÉ don't produce programming, even in other areas.

RTÉ could have brought any of the Irish Legends to life in a Drama series. We might look down on such productions but at least there would be some nostalgia. Look at the 1980s version of Robin Hood with Clannad singing the them tune.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

It wouldn't surprise me if he ends up on GB news, a man scorned and that that. Really the only place he can vent against the establishment who threw him to the Oireachtas committee!

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Talking about rte and their finances in general, I'm sure they could thin out the staff if they had a good look at it.

Just listening to News At One on Radio 1.

Dobbo introduces the main news stories, then says "here's X with more details ". This newsreader proceeds to read out the same stories that Dobbo just did, padding it out a little. And even within each of these stories, newsreader no2 often says "here's X with more details ", and we get a 3rd journo with just a little more padding.

Some of these 3rd journos today were Fergal Bowers and Brian O'Donovan. And all of these folk are on big wages.

It's all a bit of a joke and stinks of jobs for the boys and girls.

Why can't Dobbo just read out more detailed stories ?

• Advertisement

He'd have much chance to be a man of scorn on CNN.

These partisan news networks need presenters who are willing to meet their niche weather it is to the Right or Left of politics.

Ryan plays along, he has no real world view to give either to the right or to the left or even to the center of politics.

______

Yesterday

I don’t think he’ll be going to GB News- I reckon that was simply a publicity stunt.

Podcast? I’d doubt that’s what he’s about to “announce” as a pretty major let down if it were- a podcast only merits a “oh by the way I’ve just done a podcast on…” sort of announcement - it’s not a big deal.

It's their admin and management staff that need to be thinned, they need to utilise their other staff more.

For example the dropped daily news bulletins from their morning schedule, why not use that staff on an hour long programme at 9am on TV that could then go on to the player. Instead they cut those bullitens, didn't reduce head count and didn't replace them with digital first programming.

______

Yesterday

Even if true, hardly an original idea- didn’t Mike Murphy do this back in the day along with the USA

• Registered Users Posts: 9,328 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Ah FFS, why didn't RTE build a rocket so he could be the first talent to broadcast from the moon?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

It’s those pesky Irish residents who refuse to pay their TV licence fee- blame them.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭swine

As a taxpayer, I would happily fund 50% of this endeavour.

I never saw this article but it effectively points at most of the guesses on this thread (aside from UN envoy for Children🤪)

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭toggle toes

I'm a massive Irish History buff. I source all my content through my local library and through online and listening to podcasts. For me RTE as a public service broadcaster has been a total disaster regarding producing content relevant to all sections of Irish history. The amount of taxpayers money that has been wasted on so called entertainment is nothing short of scandalous. I understand not everyone is a history buff and the funds have to be spread equally to suit everyone's particular taste when it comes to content. Our history has made Ireland what it is today good or bad. Many sacrifices had been made and I for feel it is important that we as a society don't forget that. Even more importantly our state boadcaster does forget that.

It hasn't even been very well distributed for people who enjoy entertainment. Name anything outside Current News and Current Sport that RTÉ is actually investing. Let me rephrase your post (if you don't mind, doing it anyway, too late :) )

I'm a massive Movie buff. I source all my content through my local library and through online and listening to podcasts. For me RTE as a public service broadcaster has been a total disaster regarding producing content relevant to all sections of Cinema. The amount of taxpayers money that has been wasted on so called entertainment is nothing short of scandalous. I understand not everyone is big in to Film and the funds have to be spread equally to suit everyone's particular taste when it comes to content. Irish Cinema of the past and of today is an important part of Irish life and RTÉ should invest in it regardless of if it is just a nostalgic look back or the commissioning of a new film or a new drama series.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Couldn't see him on GBNews. Tubs is too parochial and I think even he, at 50, has enough awareness to realize his only bit of cachet is at home in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Another example of BBC trumping RTE on Irish subject matter... today on BBC radio 4 there was a radio drama about Irish neutrality from an Irish writer with an Irish cast.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

We hear a lot about the alleged ‘penury’ dudes in the grunt sections of RTE are paid.

we never hear what topes like Bowers and O’Donovan trouser for their rare on air appearances.

Anyone have a clue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Karppi

And this looks very promising indeed

BBC and SHOWTIME have released first-look images for the brand new 6x60’ gothic thriller The Woman in the Wall led by BAFTA award-winner Ruth Wilson (Mrs Wilson, The Affair, Luther), co-starring BAFTA nominee Daryl McCormack (Good Luck to You Leo Grande, Peaky Blinders, Bad Sisters) and written and created by Joe Murtagh (Calm with Horses). The series is produced by British independent production company Motive Picture, backed by Fifth Season. The sensitively crafted, fictional drama series examines the legacy of one of Ireland’s most shocking scandals – the inhumane institutions known as The Magdalene Laundries.

(My emphasis)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Karppi

BBC Radio 4 is an absolute cornucopia of fascinating topics. And the BBC Sounds app is... well, amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

• Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭buried

RTE and all other mainstream television channels are completely finished when it comes to niche subject/hobby matters. I enjoy wild camping, camping around Ireland, I do it all the the time, as a lot of other people enjoy doing the same thing all around the world. It wouldn't have taken much for RTE/BBC/or any other money grabbing leech-house, to showcase some sort of entertaining 30 minute television show involving wildcamping onto their schedules, promoting their own indigenous natural landscapes and public accessible geographical areas of interest.

But no, they have literally no gumption of anything like that. They can't even do it to begin with because their heads have become so far stuck up their own holes.

Meanwhile over on youtube, these two guys, a normal everyday carpenter and a chef that reside over in the UK can make absolute quality edited, entertaining and highly successful shows/videos concerning the same wildcamping subject and hobby from their own laptops that the likes of RTE/BBC/ITV couldn't even dream of producing in some sort of miraculous hallucinogenic fit of actual creativity.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Likes of Rte, Itv, Virgin Media etc are all about cheaply produced rubbish. Basically just stuff to fill the airtime. Lowest common denominator stuff.

Bbc wouldn't be as bad, but it's heading that way too, and perhaps it's because they have vastly superior funds to spend.

But few think outside the box when it comes to new ideas. It's just soaps, cheap quiz shows, cooking programmes and repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Simon Schama with his take on Irish history!! The Irish being to blame for inflicting famine on their fellow Irish, no Irish were killed by Cromwell's forces in Drogheda, etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭toggle toes

It will be interesting to see what new content RTE have produced outside the usual crap they reveal every Autum Season. My guess not much. Same old shows with the same old faces. Snooze fest 😴

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement