Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Be right back

• Registered Users Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I'm not lauding the queen mother? I never even mentioned her. I had a scan back and can't see anyone else doing this either, can you quote the posts? Why do you keep insisting that anyone who criticizes Harry and Meghan are frothing at the mouth royalist stans when this doesn't seem to the case at all?

I'm sure the queen mother was a bitch btw. Probably why she twigged Wallace from the start. Something about her (the qm) always gave me the creeps.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Neyite quoting the Queen Mother on how she disliked Wallis Simpson and how she claimed that Wallis Simpson was responsible for Bertie's daily birth as if it was fact.

Look, you all believe everything that the British tabloids write about H&M and I mean everything. And you will never get over that Harry just left because he wouldn't be the RF scapegoat any more.

Yes. All clothes / shoes etc. that she wears sell out immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭suvigirl

His father being king is what makes it impossible at short notice!

There is months of planning for these visits, months and months. It cannot be done at short notice and that is not his decision.

In fact, he would have no say in it.

• Advertisement

There would be plenty of security already arranged. It was a world cup final. He would only be there for a night or two and could have stayed with the British Ambassador.

Interesting that you say that as the son of the king, he needs all this security. Yet, Harry who is also the son of a king, doesn't need any? In fact, the King his father, pulled H&M's security at short notice despite them at the receiving end of death threats from far right racists (some of whom have been convicted and sent to prison in the UK).

• Registered Users Posts: 40,130 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Months and Months to attend a final in Oz?

Ah no that is absolute nonsense.

In October, he had not planned to attend the men’s World Cup, controversially held in Qatar, due to a busy winter schedule. But before Southgate’s squad was knocked out in the quarter-final it was understood William’s office was looking at making possible arrangements for him to attend if the men reached the final. William is now on his annual summer break.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

A flying visit for Harry on his way to the games- RF conveniently up in Scotland so no fear of bumping into them when he’s doing his shopping in M&S 😀

I'd say the biggest threat to William if he went to Australia would be the boos from the English/Australian people at the game. What would the point be of killing William? There are already plenty of replacements, so it wouldn't make any difference politically to the monarchy. In fact, it might do the monarchy good in that people would have sympathy for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭valoren

Quite bluntly he is positing himself as someone trying to show global leadership in climate change. If he flew out and back to attend one football match he’d be hammered for it and rightly so. His credibility would be damaged and any time he preached about climate change this would be thrown at him. I’m sure he knows that his reputation in that regard was at risk and satisfying critics by attending but alienating people was a risk you take when you deem yourself a leader. Damned if he went and damned if he didn’t go. Not going was being on the credit side of the climate ledger as such.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Karppi

What would the point be of killing William? There are already plenty of replacements, so it wouldn't make any difference politically to the monarchy. In fact, it might do the monarchy good in that people would have sympathy for them.

Wow, what on earth is going on in your head to think, let alone commit to paper, that?? Anyway, getting away from that malevolent post, a few things:

1. My purpose in raising the matter of the massive publicly expressed dislike on the YouTube Netflix Trailer video is because of the negative effect it is having on the Invictus Games. In a way, it doesn't matter if the comments are valid or not; it's the effect of them. Surely if H&M had any self awareness at all - and they clearly have none - they would find a way to step out of the limelight and allow the Games to proceed without them, either their presence but more, IMO, without the Archewell/Netflix deal.
    2. The decision about Australia's Head of State, or any other Commonwealth country's, will be taken by the citizens of that country whenever they decide. It's up to them.
    3. My issue with H&M is quite simple. They couldn't get their own way with the "half-in, half-out" proposal, so off they went. But since then, they have trashed their families, both personally and institutionally, made money by playing the perpetual victims, the Netflix reality bending the "truth" in a way that would astonish even Uri Geller, exaggerating or making up stories (eg the Lion King premiere, "When you married into this family, we rejoiced in the streets the same we did when Mandela was freed from prison" - as if!).
    4. Harry has shot the albatross and now has it dangling round his neck. An albatross necklace, if you will.

He is the President of The FA. He would have flown commercial, the plane was going anyway.

The President of the FA didn't bother his arsé attending the first world cup final since 1966.

It's amazing the excuses that are made for this guy on here.

Not surprising though.

Excuses? Just pointing out the position he was in. Commercial or not the optics were that he would be there for a day or two and then coming straight back. Do you not think his climate change street cred would be damaged if he went? I would argue that it would be. If he goes talking the talk about climate change then I'd remember his short haul over and back to Oz for a big football match and say he is a hypocrite. Maybe he thinks walking the walk is more important than a football match and thinks it is worth the inevitable criticism?

It's a pointless conversation about William going to Australia, he'd have been pilloried for the carbon footprint alone. Instead, we could start a thread about William missing out on a great opportunity by not following the magnificent, outstanding example of Luis Rubiales. William could have given Millie Bright a good old smacker full on the lips after, of course, grabbing his balls whilst standing with Queen Letizia of Spain and her (16 year old!!) daughter Infanta Sofia. Then we could discuss whether he was waiting to catch Leah Williamson instead.

FFS!

Thinking about this and using a financial analogy to suss where H&M are at then I’d think of the monarchy as a big blue chip umbrella company. A conservative, predictable, boring juggernaut. Booms, busts, panics and bulls seem to have little impact on the company’s fundamentals but it faces the inevitable loss of market territory because it is...conservative, boring and predictable. Some long term investors want to cash out and explore new investment. From within there is a clamor from two executives of a subsidiary brand for investment so they can branch out and embrace these new markets coming along downstream.

The CEO isn’t interested as it conflicts with the companies culture/values and so a decision is made to split the subsidiary off from the umbrella company and let it get listed on another exchange as an independent entity with the two executives becoming the CEOs.

They do an IPO and it attracts significant investment. Criticising the umbrella company as being outdated and tone deaf helps secure investment. Early investors make some money back when they sell their initial investment (e.g. Harpo Productions). It wasn't a long term investment. It was a shrewd trade.

Three years later the subsidiary not only hasn’t gained any market share it is losing it. The outlook from forecasters is negative since the company is hemorrhaging cash. So the questions are – would you buy stock in this subsidiary today? I wouldn't. Would you make a long term investment in the blue chip company? No because I would want to make money and would making a return akin to that from a current account i.e. sweet FA and thus a non runner.

Maybe he thinks walking the walk is more important than a football match and thinks it is worth the inevitable criticism?

But there were plans to get him to the men's final.

So what you are saying is he didn't think the England Ladies Team getting to a world cup final was worth attending.

Wonder how his daughter will feel in a few years when realises she used him as a prop to justify him not giving a shíte.

Again for those at the back not paying attention, he is The President of the Football Association, that trumps any faux concern about the environment he might have.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭maik3n

Not so sure I can get on board with this.

Harry and Megan are generally considered the ones pushing the climate change/green agenda and getting a lot of stick for it.

William being a climate change activist/green guy is news to me, lol.

If he did make the trip to OZ, I can envisage the usual suspects from Gbeebies, the daily mail, Telegraph etc p00 p00hing any lefty complaints about green issues and telling everyone to just get behind him and the Lionesses.

It is actually Charles who pretends to give a fúck about the environment. Everyone else should make sacrifices but certainly not him.

Er, have you guys heard of the Earthshot Prize?

• Advertisement

Did any of his family enter?

Because their carbon footprint is fúcking colossal.

Do as I say, how very royal.

The Royal Family’s combined carbon footprint tallies up to a massive 3,810 tonnes a year. To put this into perspective, the average Brit has an annual carbon footprint of just 10 tonnes

Luis certainly led the way at the celebrations. I’d say there’ll be a vacancy there soon. You could apply. Think of the opportunities that would open up

Pretending about the environment since 1968. Even you'd have to admire his 55 year long commitment to pretending to give a f*ck.

Absolute hypocrite too, to be fair he hardly licked it off a rock.

I have literally no idea what you are talking about, could you explain please?

I'd define someone as not giving a f*ck as someone who is aware of their large carbon foot print but does f*ck all to off set it elsewhere.

You mean some poor people have to pay for his lavish lifestyle?

Yip, that would be textbook definition of hypocrisy.

It's okay you can be critical of the royal family, it won't make your hatred for Markle any less in my eyes.

• Advertisement

I mentioned nothing about other people off setting Charles’ carbon foot print but wind up and deliberately ignore my point all you like Boggles. You can ignore the part of the article you posted where it is pointed out by Clarence House that they do off set which I was making reference to. That to me infers they all know about their emissions and are at a minimum aware of the concept of offsetting them. You think I hate Meghan? I don’t but troll away with that nonsense all you like, it is predictable at this point. I get it that you despise the monarchy and all that stuff but at least H&M critics here have the capacity to see things from their pov and try and understand their actions and behaviour. It’s telling how boring H&M are now that this thread went quiet again and it takes the side show of the William/World Cup ding dong to pour some life into it whereas elsewhere even the balm pots of the internet are bored with them judging by the latest “blind” gossip being speculation if H&M have been using Richard Geres children in photos and passing them off as Archie and Lilibet.

Advertisement