Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,046 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

If you really want the house and are planning on staying there long-term my advice would be to keep bidding. €10k is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Minor repairs can wait, and you can get free or very cheap furniture to get you started. Adverts, Facebook, charity shops etc. Just have enough for a new mattress if you don't have one already.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭VW 1

Agreed, would rather have the house I want and do things very cheaply for the first few years than regret not spending the 10k and missing what would've been a great house. Obviously depends how much you want it and if it's liveable without the 10k spent moving in.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭shawki

Thanks very much for the advice.

The house is in good nick and the location is ideal for family needs.

I’m the highest bidder for now anyway so we’ll see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

We decided to take the view that the next year if we were still looking the extra €50k we decided to bid to secure the house would look like a bargain if we were to pay it then. We were correct. Glad we paid over the odds at the time, because a years after we were all sroted and living stress free in our new house, whole all the other houses which we would have been bidding on had we not bought were far higher than the year before. I think our last bid scared everyone away and then that ended all the messing and stress of buying for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

Can anyone advise on the process of seeking consent from council for the sale of a house? Our solicitor says it is outstanding from the vendor and I'm trying to suss out if it's a fairly standard administrative procedure or if it could potentially be a roadblock/headache that takes months to resolve. We get very little info from vendor's solicitor so I've no idea if they have started the process for it yet or not. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 EchoEmber

Finally got our keys this morning, being chuffed is an understatement.

The whole thing became a big saga, last Thursday got a message saying that the building cover wasn't sufficient and I needed to increase it by 10K (making it 72% of the house value. Either way had to increase it and chase them down to send me a pdf of the policy, then submitted it to BOI on Friday, thankfully it got approved on Monday and funds were released on Tuesday. Funds only reached the solicitor account over night yesterday or this morning and finally closed at noon today. Had to hound people to keep stuff moving along, but glad we pushed through.

Now to begin the next phase of the minor refurb of the house!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 syrgian

I have found a ridiculous situation in the 3 houses I liked enough to bid on in south Dublin (area around Greenhills and Stepaside). All of this in July/August. The asks prices were usually 10-20k less than what better houses nearby sold for (sometimes way better houses: less than 150m away, larger house, larger garden, better condition and higher BER rating). Those better houses sold between March and June. So I was like "yes, we would be overpaying compared to those other houses, but at least we would finish the search, and we like the area". So I went and bid up to ask+10k, and then other bidders shot up the bids up to ask+50k.

Am I right thinking that the houses won't actually sell for that price, or will we see soon in the price register that a house sold in July for 500k and a worse (sometimes much worse) one for 530k in November?

Post edited by syrgian on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Yep price inflation. Saw a provincial small town terrace go for bid auction on Friday for 245 which a couple of years would be -120k. I would say we are at ,or close to the top ,then the market may go stale but prices will stay high.

Post edited by 80sDiesel on

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 rodderss

Its all going to end in tears............again.... but when will it happen,thats the question.

Sure if we knew when any adverse economic event was going to happen we would all be rich

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Sitting here in shock. We only had 4 weeks to close the sale on the house we were buying after signing a contract last week but we were still in an appeals process going on months with the bank to get approval to buy the house (because of issues with the house, not us). Was genuinely convinced it was going to fall through but just got a call from our broker, the bank have put it forward for a loan offer to be issued in the next few days. Been so focused on just getting this bit done I've literally no idea what happens next. But the 4 year long journey to get our family home may be coming to the end? Honestly doesn't feel real. Even my wife is refusing to celebrate until we get keys in hand.

Is there much to do after loan offer is issued? we were definitely unconventional in that we signed a contract that was dependent on a loan offer appearing in 4 weeks from the signing date, so we've signed the contract and payed the full 10%, what else are we missing?

Your solicitor should be able to advise you. Insurance, certs and all that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭crisco10

Just got keys to our new place today.

In contrast to some warriors on here, it was remarkably quick, we went sale agreed mid June on both the sale of our house, and purchase of our next one.

BoIs upping of rates focused all minds, and we sold ours last Thursday, and also drewdown our own mortgage to meet the rate increase deadline.

So, all in all 10 weeks from sale agreed to chain executed. Think that's pretty good going considering August is solicitors holidays month. On the flipside, I don't think any of our brokers and solicitors every want to be "chased" by me ever again. The secretaries literally laughed at me a few times for calling repeatedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,751 ✭✭✭✭banie01

We are after stumbling into selling our rental property, wasn't something we'd planned on doing but serendipity has made it so.

My wife moved into "my" house back in 2015 and we let hers out. Very lucky with our tenants and have had the same ones since 1st let. Anyway this week there was some post to be picked up from the agent. 1 was a letter from our tenants, saying that they were currently looking to buy. That if they found somewhere they would give us as much notice as possible and asking if we would consider selling.

Anyway, my Mrs had always harboured the thought that if/when she sold that she'd offer them 1st refusal.

Cue a chat amongst ourselves followed by some emails back and forward and we arranged a valuation from a local agent so we had a better idea of market value. We were happy enough with it and passed the valuation info to the tenants, and now we are sale agreed.

We can hopefully close relatively quickly as it's a straightforward enough transaction with no chain to worry about. Just the underwriters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Question.

should I contact the estate agent that’s handling the house I’m buying to see if the vendor has had any luck with her viewings the previous week? Or do I leave it?

Always ring to annoy people. I hate doing it personally but I cannot argue with the results, far better off ringing people constantly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Just sent an email, I don’t hear back by this time tomorrow I’ll ring

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭mayo londoner

Anyone know how strict BOI are with their €2000 mortgage saver bonus? It states that mortgage must be drawn down within 30months of setting up account, will be 30 months for us on 17th September and solicitor has only requested our loan funds today so looking likely we'll miss deadline by a week or 2

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭pcasso

Hi Folks. Sorry to hijack this thread but it seems to be the most appropriate place to put this warning.

Someone I know, who is in the process of buying a a house and is close to closing, received an email from their solicitor asking for the transfer of the deposit into the solicitors bank account, which they naturally complied with.

Unfortunately the solicitor had been the victim of a cyber security breech and the email request was a bogus one from the hackers so the deposit for their house is lost.

A quick google turns up lots of cases of this from a few years back in the UK so I assume the fraudsters have moved on to Ireland, probably targeting smaller legal practices with less robust cyber security.

So please be ultra careful when transferring money into your solicitors account and make sure it is the correct one.

Sorry again for hijacking the thread but the more people that are aware of this scam, the less people that are likely to be effected by it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭This is it

Request/issue of funds usually only takes a couple of days if there are no issues, you should have them way before the 17th. PTSB issued funds and our solicitor had them 3 days after the request. It might take some longer but I presume not much longer...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

First Time Buyer here, and I have an offer on a second hand house. It's under asking price but as far as I am aware, it is the only offer on the house. What would be the expected wait for a reply, be it refusal / counter offer / acceptance?

Or is that a question that is too open ended? As it's the first time doing something like that, I'm constantly checking my mails looking for any sort of an answer. There is a second viewing arranged for this weekend coming so I presume the owners are looking for more interest and offers.

Estate agent may be able to help guide on this. We looked at bidding on a house at one point but after we asked if the sellers were happy to accept the asking price, the estate agent (in his defense, he was very honest) said that he wouldn't bet on it, the sellers were putting the house out for a while to see what the interest was like. But then others were happy to accept a bid as it came in. Ask the estate agent to see if they have an idea

• Registered Users Posts: 27 zergetek

Hi everyone!

The vendor accepted our offer on a house 3 months ago and we went sale agreed two days later. Since then we did not see any sign of the contract. Our solicitor claims he is still waiting for the other solicitors (yes there are two solicitors on the other side, the vendors are separated) Received loan offer weeks ago from bank, valuation and house survey is done. I spoke to the estate agent many times but they try to sell me lies everytime and of course there is the "gate keeper" at the phone who is promising call backs but that never happens. The last lie was the husband was on holidays and just contacted his solicitor two weeks ago. At this point we are thinking about to step back from the deal because this whole situation is slowly grinding up our nerves. Is it againts the "rules" to contact the vendors directly and ask them what is going on? We really like that house and it would be sad to lose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭KLF

It's difficult enough with one solicitor on either side. Having another is a recipe for trouble especially if there is animosity / unresolved issues between the other party[s]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭This is it

Start to push, tell them that you need to see movement or you'll need to withdraw your offer. Unfortunately there can be complications, dealing with two sellers/solicitors will definitely not help.

Well that's why it would be great to speak to at least one of the vendors just to find out what's the story.

Tried to push earlier but I only got more lies from the estate agent.

I would say the two parties don't. agree on something. Shame on them for holding you as a buyer with no answer, some people are so arrogant. Depends how much you like this house, but I would withdraw my offer if I was you.

Living the life

• Advertisement

This is why there is more viewings organised as vendors want more even so you are the only offer, they want more offers and a bidding war. You will see a lot of this.

Just put your name down for more viewings on other houses with the same agent.

Living the life

Advertisement