Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharp branches on public path

• 23-08-2023 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭

Quick question, but if you have thorny brambles and spikey holly overgrowing on the public path outside your house, can you be in legal trouble if someone was to get injured by it?

My neighbour is terrible for this and my own kid got scratches from the holly. But the neighbour INSISTS that it's "the councils" problem not hers as it's hanging over as public path.

Is she liable in the case of an injury or not? I said she is but the wagon ignores everyone on the estate!

Buying a Tesla? -> Get €500 off your order by using my Referral Link - Please DM me for the link.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,977 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

The home owner is responsible in that case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,812 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I am unable to help the OP, but councils are not very proactive on this matter as I can think of one place near me where half the footpath is unusable owing to vegatation coming from private premises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

Unless it varies by council but I had a hedge that overhung path, due to complaint from someone who was annoyed by how far out it was (really wide path, plenty of room really) the council called to me and asked me to get it cut. Certainly weren't intending doing it themselves, my responsibility I'm afraid and rightly so in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,233 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Your best course of action is to report your neighbour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,295 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Would you not just get the shears out and cut back a few of the offending briars. Take a small fraction of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭ModelWhy

Who do I report her to, the Guards? Don't want to bother them with something so trivial.

I'd do it myself but the last guy who did, she came out like a bull shouting at "how her property was being vandalised" and making a scene. Not worth the drama. She's a horrible person, completely self centered and self isolating. Everyone hates her but nothing seems to get through.

Buying a Tesla? -> Get €500 off your order by using my Referral Link - Please DM me for the link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,233 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Contact the council about her impeding pedestrians.

You report it to Local Authority/County Council whichever operates in that area. They called out to me pretty quick after getting a complaint! I wouldn't even have considered it as annoying as sharp branches but they were out like a bullet! Now it was also within the prohibited time for cutting hedges which I mentioned to the official and said I'd get it done when that was over but they said they would prefer it done sooner and the rules didn't apply where there was a complaint.

Those laws don't apply to gardens for a start, and safety measures were always allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,774 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

she came out like a bull shouting at "how her property was being vandalised" and making a scene.

f* her. if she's saying it's not her responsibility in the first place she can't complain when someone takes responsibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Squiggle

You can cut hedges in a garden setting at any time of the year. You can also cut hedgerows during the prohibition period IF road safety is a concern.

True and I know that but what harm would it have done to wait, it is a hedge where birds nest and it wasn't a safety concern at all, personally I would have preferred to wait for the few months just in case. To be honest if I hadn't done it straightaway I'm not sure there was much they could do but wait anyway!

Advertisement