Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

It's not only Larry. I'm sure anybody else won't give any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

First of the 18 month Hereford heifers away tonight to dawn,465c base+15c Hereford bonus,..being told that should be the floor under them from here on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭amacca

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

His death was announced on local radio here in Waterford, alongside a glowing tribute about how great he was.

No mention of his cartel surprisingly 😂

And I’m sure the local politicians lining up to be seen at the funeral will be polite enough not to bring it up either. Yet the same rent-a-crowd will claim to be supportive of beef farmers on the way home.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 4,866 ✭✭✭mf240

Small bit of ground does us all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭kk.man

Cattle dealers funerals the same... hate each other in life love each in death.

Having said that RIP we are all going the same way. Admire the great too as Dell Boy says 'he who dares wins'.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭HHH

Is €4.60 / €4.65 available everywhere this week? Or are factories stuck at €4.55 in some areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

55 down here

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Hershall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

I was told 4.60 or 4.65 but who knows until the cattle are dropped off.

I have some fine LMX coming to age now, would I be better keep them at grass now that I have plenty, let them go over 30 months and hope the price/their weight improves?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,565 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If they are FS 3 and have flesh hang them. Most will be R=/R+ if they are quality. You will lose 12c on the QA and need to go up two places on the grid to recover that even if the base stood still.

@350kgs that is 42 euro add if they are on ration feeding 4kgs/ day from now on maybe or 1.6/ day aside from grass costs. In 30 days you need 90 euro more to break even that is about 20 kgs DW

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

Makes sense, I'll weight them and see how they're travelling.

I'll hold them as far as I can before going over, hopefully the price improves

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭StevenToast

There will be no improvement in price this side of Xmas....

Im just hoping 4.50 is rock bottom....

Its all about minimising the losses at this point....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Had two missed calls from agent today looking for cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

I got €4.50 flat flat for 30 frs Os and Ps. Waterford

I say it has bottomed out. Supplies are tightening I say. Most Friesians are now gone overage as few are born in March anymore. A lot of Beef breed cattle will be hung as well most left are April and May born so no pressure to run I to the factory with them.

August is now the pressure month. 7 month cattle will not be appearing until mid October. Admittedly a lot of AA and Hex will be hung off grass at 18-20 month but there will be no flush until late September or October.

That was a great price if there was a few P's and over 30 month animals in them. 7c/kg better than an average underage O- price.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Cattle have ten more days here than factory. Last meal bin was opened today. Getting 6kgs a day the last month. Not buying anymore meal. Mostly lmx, six and bbx all around 28 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭KAMG

I fail to understand why you do not do some research before making big claims like you seem to love doing. A quick look at the weekly kill figures would tell you that week ending 20 August 2023 had a total kill of 34,740. This is the highest since week ending 12 March 2023. And it was the first time since, that the kill topped 34,000.

Facts are hard to dispute. Random thoughts and opinions are easy to dispute.

But, hopefully the price has bottomed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Facts alright, but for some reason as proved here, factory agents have contacted a number of farmers looking cattle, why ever so.

• Advertisement

Is that it what I said that August was the pressure month not, traditionally it was September.

Read my post

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭KAMG

''I say it has bottomed out. Supplies are tightening I say.''

I did read your post. I knew it was nonsense. I checked my facts. I replied.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Was offed 2.40/kg live by a factory feedlot last week for my Hereford and August bullocks and heifers..very eager to get them but I chose to go the slaughter route after another factory garenteed me I won't be offered less than 460 base from now to Xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭kk.man

Amazing they know what the price is for that long into the future!

You looked at one stat. The weekly kill. That was down the week before so the real rise in the extra kill was a half what was indicated. As well was it a rise in demand by processors for the RWC which starts in three weeks time.

However you failed to look at other FACTS. The projected prime cattle kill this year is expected 60k behind jast year from cattle detains release earlier in the year. That is prime cattle heifers, bullocks and young bulls. While the total kills is 40k less than last year at present 10k of that is made up of cows. From now to the end of the year there is 30k less prime cattle in the system compared to last year or about 1500/ week from now on.

That is why I inside that cattle supplies will tighten. Last September to get over him the processors slaughtered a lot of 18-20 month old 480-520kg friesians. However demand will be slightly stronger with the RWC.

There is only two possible negative factors. Dairy farmers wound have milked goats with the prices of milk last year ( however there was a real strong cow slaughter during May/ June in 2022) and the trend to slaughter traditional breed cattle off grass @ 18+ months is strengthening every year

However 1500/ week prime cattle Isa lot to make up

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭roosterman71

How is it if the kill numbers are down and projected to be back compared to last year for the remainder of 2023, how come the prices are so shite? Shouldn't demand be greater if supply is lower and keep prices a bit better? And UK prices way ahead of here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

There are more times when the market fundamentals indicate a beef rise in price and we have a steep drop.

Cartel doesn't worry about things like that.

It's not called a cartel for nothing. However prices are running about 15-30c/ kg behind last year on reality. We also hit the floor earlier. A lot of lads expectations on price were unrealistic. Costs have dropped slightly. Ration by about 8/ head, fertilizer by about 30-40/ head and next year's silage cost by 15-18/ head. Diesel by 3-4/ head. In total that is approx 15c/ kg

Saw some fine finished cattle a lad had a week ago. cmCH bullocks, he paid over 3/ kg for them last February around 1800 euro. He had been feeding them 2-3kgs nearly since he got them. They will probably kill 430-450 kgs and come into 2.1/2.2k.

They were always going to die in debt.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

It’s serious money to have tied up in stock just to hold onto payments.

Advertisement