Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LC Written Examiners, 2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,383 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I'm kind of surprised to see this here. Teachers complain constantly that they have no voice in many of the changes in education, yet when they can have a voice, they are being told to shut up. It's important that answers are discussed and that other view points are considered at the marking conference. It's not a dictatorship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭amacca

Dunno if it's changed but in fairness there's usually feck all time to get into it as a written examiner at the conference and still let people go home to their families on time ..between going through the scheme and noting clarifications and marking some practice ones etc..

You don't want to be the one that everyone is secretly rolling their eyes at because they think you just like the sound of your own voice....which isn't far off the mark for some.

Besides those advising etc have presumably worked out most of the kinks and the rest will become apparent down the line after a certain percentage in...

It used to feel a little like a dictatorship in the past 😅...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

I must say the weather Gods are being very kind tp us this year. Apparently there was a little drop.of rain yesterday 😅😅

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Coming to the end of marking online for the first time. Dear God how did we ever do it the old way? Online is a dream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

It very much is. However, 'linking' all those supplementary pages to random questions is a pain. Some kids are all over the shop with where they write things!

The Advising Examiners are like stormtroopers though with the deadlines and phonecalls! (albeit nice ones once you get the work in!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭Treppen

In fairness though I think it's important to fight a student's corner.

I was only ever at 2 conferences and both times I had to point out ambiguities in a question or allowed answers were extremely limited to 1 or 2 possibilities and didn't allow for other interpretations or learnings.

Even to this day I say to students "well technically you're 100% correct but I think an examiner might miss that point , so you must write this instead to be safe".

So go ahead, annoy the eye-rollers.

Although I have eye-rolled myself 🤣

For sure, some of the questions could be phrased better. Clarity should be of the utmost importance in each question. There's actually no excuse for that. Does a single person write each LC exam paper? There are some questions that I don't think would pass if they had two people writing them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I came on to announce how happy I am, finished for another year.

But now I've read that and will have a quiet sob into my wine. 😫

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Muise1981

A decade since I did it, where time goes!!. Chatting to a man superintending with me who marked online last year and not having to open packs, count scripts, scrud 60s etc must be very nice. Don't think I'd like the whole thing of every last hour on a screen.

Also make viewing scripts a it easier at the far side. Though I guess the advising team are an ever watchful presence by the sounds of it. Must be a big push to get things over the line so results can be published etc. To those finishing up, enjoy the rest of the summer. Maybe weather will pick up now!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭Treppen

I'm not sure how the exam is created but I'm sure they'd have to proof a number of questions with second eyes. I think in the end the papers are randomised so the creator doesn't know which one is sent to the printers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭scrubs33

I certainly found that the most argumentative people found themselves as advising examiners the year later. Handy way of muting criticism I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,836 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

In the LC, at what number of scripts does the extra 6 euro per script bonus start?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Not a bonus, you get that automatically! It was a covid thing I think, initially I think 150eu per 25 bit 6eu per script is easier to manage at payroll level I'd imagine.

There is another bump over a certain amount but its different for every subject!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Random sample

The additional threshold in my subject is about 20 more than anyone was expected to get, so nobody hit that extra.

As for the €6, it’s hard to imagine how that will ever be taken away, unless they are trying to push for teachers to mark their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,836 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Just to be clear.

In LC maths, the payment per script is 8.60.

You are suggesting that for each and every script, an examiner will get 8.60 + 6.00 = 14.60?

Now that I read the screengrab again, I see what you mean. The 6 euro is applied to every script.

Yep, that's a more reasonable amount per script in fairness. Especially give the issues with the papers this year.

I doubt we will be loosing it any time soon, it's keeping a lot of people doing it.

The solicitor has to pay the running of a business out of that €300, it doesn't all go to one person. Receptionist, legal aides, rates, accountant, employer PRSI, employer pension contributions etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭drserious4

Any idea what the pay is for the average junior cert scripts and what the Irish bonus is for the corrector?

Do you get the Retention payment this year if you worked as marker for the SEC last year, albeit for a different LC subject to the one you're doing this year? And are there any conditions attached to getting it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

My understanding of the R&R fee is that it is given to anyone who corrects in 2023, with the retention element being that they hope you come back in 2024 because the pay was good. In fairness, there are a lot of extra bits tagged on to Rate per script now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

This is my understanding of it as well. I thought it was a finishing bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Eire_S

Can anyone tell me if you're filling in the Form of Account, there's only 1 line relating to the conference. Do you just fill in the details of the main/in-person conference? Or both the in-person and online details on the same line? It's a little confusing!🤔

Thanks!

It's really shocking the number of teachers who do not check the LC project work of all of their students before they submit it. Kids are haemorrhaging marks because they haven't done the basics of their projects, leaving out entire sections.

It should be very straightforward where each student follows a simple list of headings and sections which must be done. These should be very easy marks to help all students get into another grade but instead, due to lack of supervision on what is submitted, students are throwing away significant marks. There will always be stragglers in each class, but when you see a whole slew of projects without the basics, the teacher is to blame (yes, I know legally or whatever the student is fully responsible, etc, but still, like a good solicitor with a client before a court case, a good teacher should be helping the student to prepare their work for that SEC examiner's judgment by having all the boxes ticked.)

Got a first payment from SEC Marking on Friday just gone for the princely sum of 288 Euro.

I’ve been to inservice on how to approach the write up of projects, and attendance wasn’t great… also people there arguing that they had a better way of approaching it, which seemed bizarre to me. Wilful ignorance.

The advance is so low since they started taxing it, but at least it means the balance will be great when it comes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 HollieH20

Hi all,

New here and I am a first time Leaving Cert marker for 2023.

I found it incredibly difficult, I must add that I am not a teacher, I have a degree in the subject area and applied to basically improve my knowledge and skillset. I expected, that for my first time, I would be giving Ordinary Level papers but no it was Higher Level.

It really isn't worth all the hassle & stress.

I just wanted to know if anyone else gets higher level papers for their first time?

Thanks

I did junior cert for years before moving to leaving cert, I’d say it’s a big shock straight off!

The work is very intense and the process is difficult to get used to the first time, but it does get easier, and with the extra payments this year, I think most people will find it worth it once they get paid. I think I got about €4000 last year into my hand, so about €1000 per week. Not a bad wage, imo.

I did junior cert for the first time this year. I found the first couple of days difficult but it definitely improves and becomes second nature after a while.

What is the jump like to leaving cert? How many papers are you expected to correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭williaint

No idea about the Irish bonus but the JC rate inclusive of the €3 extra per "satisfactorily marked" script is around the €10 mark? And LCHL tends to be around €26 per script inclusive of the €6 extra. Please feel free to correct me though! I would especially like to know what LCOL is per script?

About €15 plus the bonus for my subject. I’m sure it’s more for 2 paper subjects.

• Advertisement

The Irish bonus is typically about 10% of whatever the script rate is for a specific subject as far as I know

It varies from subject to subject. Some subjects like English would have a rate per pair of papers as an examiner is marking Paper 1 and 2 for a student. Some subjects like Geography or History have a project and a written paper. Some subjects just have a single paper.

When do the payments usually come in and is it all in one lump sum?

One lump sum, about 6 weeks after you submit your claim form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭williaint

Thanks but it sounds like the difference in the rate of pay between LCHL and LCOL is not much at all yet the time involved (in my one paper subject at least) for HL is triple or quadruple to mark a HL script!

I agree. OL often has lots of gaps on it too, so much quicker to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 HollieH20

Hi all.

Just wondering if anyone knows of someone who was dismissed from being a written examiner? Particularly if it was at the very end of the marking?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭murt101

Can I ask if anyone has corrected deferred exam scripts and if there's much of a difference between the results for the main vs deferred exams?

Examiners aren't allowed to comment on the marking of scripts whether they be deferred or otherwise.

Seems to be an oddly specific question. Is there a reason for it?

• Advertisement

No, I haven't heard of it but it was mentioned at the conference that it can happen. I would say it is unusual although others may know more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭picturehangup

I have never heard of it happening in my 30 yrs experience.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It happens, but it's unlikely that someone would get to the end of marking before the unsatisfactory nature of their work was discovered.

Friday 25 August seems very late for the LC results day, what with appeals abd CEO offers. (https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/state-examinations/leaving-certificate/#338a42)

I thought they were under pressure to have the results earlier after that Wexford/Cabinteely student won the High Court case.

The pma is holding it up again this year. It’ll get back to normal when the pma is gone.

I’ve often heard of examiners being let go. It’s not something they tend to advertise though. It was obvious to more people when we paper marked because the scripts had to be redistributed. Now they just increase someone’s targets.

Received by email this morning: " We, however, received in excess of 2,000 claims between 25th and 27th July, which are currently being processed. As a result of the large volume received together, some will not be paid within 30 calendar days but we expect to have them paid as soon as possible."

I was paid today, absolutely unexpected!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cait110

Do you mind me asking what date your form was recieved?

I sent it in the post 24th or 25th, I was posting few bits so can't remember which. I never emailed to ask when it was received, I usually don't do that until the first week of September!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭pandoraj09

I got paid on Wednesday. Sent in form on July 26th. So much deducted but still pleased with what I got.

Advertisement