Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

A few from Dunboyne slip over to Kilbride as well in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭rolling boh

The Paul's ground is as good as in Dunboyne so a pick from clonee must be tiny even with the townlands that call themselves clonee .Don't forget we have clonee dublin 15 now which wasn't the case up to all the houses around littlepace being built and calling it clonee which it isn't really .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Listening to the Chronicle pod I think Eastern Gaels will improve. The lads were saying on the pod 8 or 9 transfers are gone to Leinster Council now. They were objected to by Cilles as they were former players there, and the county board upheld them. Apparently the lads said if they didn't get the transfers they'd play no football this year, had no intention of playing with the Cilles. In that circumstances I don't see why they county board didn't sanction the transfers. I think Paul's are sunk to be honest. Dunboyne is so big and Ratoath are the other side of them they are just squeezed. As Rolling Boh says there is Clonee D15 now and I understand there is a Dublin club there too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭rolling boh

The part that is called clonee dublin 15 is in dublin and yes there is a club there .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

St. Pauls is a sad case but the writing has been on the wall a long time. They've no underage system and are squeezed between the county border and a much bigger and more successful club.

This article is from 2005, and it mentions how they were already small and struggling; St. Pauls never stop - HoganStand.

Eastern Gaels would want to get those transfers in quick.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Excellent second half from the camogie team after a dreadful first half. 1-8 to 1-1 down and went 8 down early in the second half before they got 1-5 without reply to get a replay. Aoife Minogue narrowly missed a last second free to win it.

Replay in a weeks time.

Derry had too much for Meath in the second half in the camogie final.

Interesting weekend in the football championships. Skryne look to be in big trouble in Senior after shipping a 22 point defeat to Ratoath. After a few difficult years, Simonstown look like they're back in the knockouts after beating Dunboyne. Goals win games and the 'Ha proved that with a fantastic 4-4 to 1-12 win over Donaghmore/Ashbourne. Don/Ash have now had two 1-point defeats but, if results go their way, they could still manage to scrape into the knockout stages. Kells seem to be dropping fast after a 5 point defeat to Ballinabrackey while it looks like Summerhill will again be there or thereabouts after another big win in their group.

In the Intermediate, NOM got back to winning ways against Rathkenny while Drumbaragh put the cat amongst the pigeons with a win over Oldcastle. Castletown and Duleek/Bellewstown both qualified with a game to spare meaning BHG & Michael's will be in relegation trouble. Nobber had a good win over Longwood who may also be in a bit of bother. Pat's look like a team in good form with two hard fought wins against Bective and Meath Hill so far. Doesn't look like there's any stand out contender in Intermediate so far.

CnG and Brigids are looking good so far in Junior A while St. Pauls' misery continues in Junior B with a 42 point defeat to Boardsmill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Random question, but who, in your opinion, would have the fiercest rivalry/rivalries in Meath club football?

I'd say it'd be the North Meath clubs. Kilmainham and Drumbaragh would be neighbours and there'd be no love lost between them. Then Syddan, Nobber and Castletown would all be within a few minutes of each other.

From experience, Ratoath would have had rilvalries with Donaghmore/Ashbourne, Dunshaughlin and Skryne, particularly at underage level.

Given the way they were formed, if Eastern Gaels ever establish themselves, any games between them and St. Colmcille's would be tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Yeah, was thinking an Eastern Gaels/St Colmcille rivalry is at least a few years away. If ever.

• Advertisement

I don't know the in's and out's of it but Cortown Drumcondrath seems to be a big one especially considering they aren't that close distance wise. If you watch when they play against each other there'll be an experienced referee put on it, usually someone who would normally be appointed to senior games. That's the only one I'm aware of where its not just neighbours looking bragging rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

I learnt about the Boardsmill - Trim local rivalry when I played for Don/Ash in the P8 championship. It was Navan, Trim and us top 3. We had to beat Navan and hope Boardsmill beat Trim. And top 2 went into the final

That year, Boardsmill hadn't won a game and gave a couple of walkovers so we weren't feeling too confident after doing our job and beating Navan by 1 point.

We got word that evening that Boardsmill had gone out and beaten Trim, and beat them well. Can't beat a bit of local spite. Absolutely nothing to play for but didn't want their local rivals winning either. Reminded me of games for my club at home when we wouldn't be going well but always wanted to beat the neighbours who usually were going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Eamonn Murray pops up on the Cavan management ticket with Ray Galligan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I went to check for a result in the Reserve Cup, and notice that on the Meath website they've two entries for the Reserve Cups; one edition that was played earlier in the year and another currently ongoing.

Must be rare enough for a county to play two editions of the same competition in the one season.

He's obviously building himself up to men's intercounty management. Will be interesting to see how he gets on.

Donaghmore Ashbourne through to the quarter finals on points scored after a 1 point win over Na Fianna.

And Trim beating Dunboyne means Dunboyne go into the relegation playoff for the second season in a row.

Cilles threw a spanner in the works yesterday, easily beating Ratoath to top group C. Wasn't at it but it looks like Brian McMahon went off injured early on. Seem to be notching up injuries fairly regularly.

That means the pots for the QF draw will be:

Pot A: Summerhill, Dunshaughlin, St. Colmcilles, Simonstown Gaels

Pot B: Wolfe Tones, Ratoath, Trim, Donaghmore/Ashbourne

The relegation playoff pots are:

Pot A: Na Fianna, St. Peter's Dunboyne, Moynalvey, Ballinabrackey

Pot B: Curraha, Gaeil Colmcille, Skryne, Seneschalstown

In Intermediate, the QF pots are:

Pot A: NOM, Duleek-Bellewstown, Walterstown, St. Patrick's

Pot B: Rathkenny, Castletown, Ballivor, Meath Hill

While the relegation playoff pots are:

Pot A: Bective, Nobber, St. Michael's, Drumbaragh

Pot B: Dunderry, Longwood, Blackhall Gaels, Oldcastle

Draws are this evening and are live on LMFM and on the Meath GAA YouTube channel.

Tasty draws. Three local derbies in the quarter finals.

St. Comcilles v Donaghmore/Ashbourne

Simonstown Gaels v Wolfe Tones

Summerhill v Trim

Dunshaughlin v Ratoath

1 v 3 and 2 v 4 in the semi finals.

Relegation quarter finals:

Na Fianna v Seneschalstown

Moynalvey v Curraha

Ballinabrackey v Skryne

St. Peters Dunboyne v Gaeil Colmcille

1 v 3 and 2 v 4 in the relegation semi finals.

IFC Quarter Finals:

Duleek/Bellewstown v Meath Hill

St. Patrick's V Castletown

Navan O'Mahonys v Ballivor

Walterstown v Rathkenny

1 v 2 and 3 v 4 in the semi finals.

IFC Relegation quarter finals:

St. Michael's v Dunderry

Nobber v Blackhall Gaels

Bective v Oldcastle

Drumbaragh v Longwood

1 v 2 and 3 v 4 in the relegation semi finals.

Ah it's been a while since we had a good ol' objection put in in the SFC. Na Fianna appealed to the Leinster Council that the points difference in group A that separated 2nd to 4th should only apply to games between the three affected teams (Na Fianna, Don/Ash and Curraha) meaning that Na Fianna would finish 2nd and Don/Ash 3rd. Word is that there may be a playoff between the two sides to determine who qualifies in second.

This could also mean that Longwood potentially object to their relegation to the IHC. They finished bottom of the SHC Group B on score difference after finishing on 4 points along with Dunboyne and Dunderry (Longwood beat Dunderry, Dunderry beat Dunboyne and Dunboyne beat Longwood). But if score difference between these three teams only is taken into account, then Dunboyne finish bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Any decision on the Donaghamore / Ash, Na Fianna issue? Surely a decision is needed in advance of the weekend games.

• Advertisement

According to Fergal Lynch on Twitter, the county board won their appeal to the CAC. Na Fianna may appeal to the DRA now.

Honestly, not sure how Na Fianna's original appeal was upheld. The GAA's regulations clearly state that the new head to head rules only apply if the county's competition regulations don't have different rules for determining the placing of teams level on points. In turn, the 2023 Meath GAA regulations clearly state that head to head between all teams in the group is the criteria that counts in this scenario.

It's a mess alright, but for once, I feel that the county board had their ducks in a row on this one and aren't to blame. Na Fianna don't come out of this smelling of roses.

Ratoath absolutely steal it with a goal at the death against Dunshaughlin. Summerhill easily accounted for Trim, Tones beat Simonstown easily while Donaghmore/Ashbourne beat Cilles on Friday night after a 30 Minute delay due to floodlight failure (supposedly an electrician from Ashbourne was there to assist). Semi finals will be Summerhill v Don/Ash and Ratoath v Wolfe Tones. Summerhill have been comfortable so far so perhaps this year will finally be their year.

Dunboyne were 7 up in their relegation playoff against Kells with 10 minutes left and 5 up in injury time but still got taken to extra time before Kells won it. Could be a big name going down this season. Relegation semi finals are Na Fianna v Skryne and Dunboyne v Moynalvey.

Pats v Castletown was a mad game. Castletown went 6 points up, Pats went in two ahead at half time. Castletown came back after half time and went ahead only for Pats to kick on and win by 5. Great to be in semi final but we haven't put a full hour in during any game yet. I don't think not playing for 15 or 20 minutes of a semi final will be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Patches oHoulihan

Trim gone to **** after the success in IFC in 2021

Management change I expect this year and some old timers to retire!

Ye seem to be getting your act together in Stamullen. See ye are doing well in Minor Division 1 along with getting that winning habit in Intermediate. No one seems to be standing out in the Intermediate yet so anyone could win it out.

Wouldn't say that. They've made the quarter finals both years since promotion and have never really been in any danger of getting dragged into relegation. Not a bad performance for a team coming up from Intermediate. None of the Intermediate champions in the last 7 years has made it past the quarter finals in senior.

Yep Hammer, finally getting players through after a long time with very little. Its long overdue. I think the inter is wide open myself so hopefully we can squeeze thru the gap!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Patches oHoulihan

Trim were a last minute goal away from a relegation battle this season and have lost alot of players - another 5 or 6 going travelling this year and probably an incoming new manager on the way too.

They will do well to stay up next year.

Its going to be a serious weekend of football. I'm really looking forward to us against Duleek on Saturday, a real 50/50 game. My only concern is the lads have been prone to fade outs for 10/15 minutes in every championship game this season, and I don't think you'd get away with that against Duleek. Just hope the weather is decent for all the games.

Finals to be played in 2 weeks:

SFC Final

Ratoath v Summerhill

SFC relegation final

Moynalvey v Skryne

IFC Final

Duleek/Bellewstown v Rathkenny

IFC Relegation final

Longwood v Dunderry

JFCA Final

Kilbride v Clann na nGael

JFCA Relegation Final

St. Ultan's v Kilmainham

JFCB Final

Moynalty v Slane

• Advertisement

Two awful senior semi finals, though the conditions today were dreadful. Ratoath failed to score in the second half and there was no score in the last 25 minutes of the game. Joey Wallace did make his first appearance in 12 months. For the third final in five years and for the fifth year in a row in the knockouts Ratoath and Summerhill will meet. You have to feel that this will be Summerhill's best chance to final win the big one.

Skryne are in danger of ending their 85 year stay at senior level. They were dreadful by all accounts against Na Fianna.

Rathkenny avenging their group stage loss with a big win over NOM. Duleek/Bellewstown had a big final 15 minutes or so (or Pat's had an awful last 15) to make their second final in a row.

Meanwhile, Kilbride made their first Junior final in 73 years, beating St. Brigids. The last time they won the JFC, they would go on to win 5 senior championships. Probably not gonna do the same this time, but their work at underage over the last 10-15 years is beginning to reap rewards at adult level. Clann na nGael are their opponents, beating Ballinlough by 3.

Advertisement