Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,046 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

We always end up in Mr Price. I think the stuff that used to be available in Dealz shrank after Brexit, so if it's shrunk even further I don't know why they bothered to lash out on an expansion. Homesavers always seems to be selling stuff at higher prices than the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭phormium

Funny enough I liked Dealz but new store doesn't interest me as much, walked in and out a few times at this stage without buying anything!

I like Mr Price too for certain things, was in the biggest one in Ireland a few days ago, massive, huge selection of stuff especially gardening which was interesting although a bit oddly out of sync with the seasons!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

Mr. Price is great for the back to school supplies, nearly a one stop shop apart from the books, which thanks to our Norma are free this year!

I find the quality of the Mr. Price stuff to be ok to good. Nice bits of gardening pieces in the spring time at a good price.

The boards have been taken down from the area across from the Grotto that was being developed over the past year. It looks very nice as you are approaching it coming in to town.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

Yeah, the wall and landscaping look well, some wood cladding to go onto the building yet I believe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 MaryQuiteContrary222

Anyone know what the story with that Rocklily clothes shop? I heard it re opened but I’ve yet to see the store open anytime I’ve went down that way (back of pennys)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I noticed she has stopped posting on her social media again too. There doesn't seem to be anything up on it since June. I don't know what's going on. Nice shop, but far too expensive unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I hadn't been up there in a few weeks, but went in today & saw one of the staff from Easons in town was in there training the staff. They haven't changed the name in there yet, but they have Eason's leaflets on the counter. Seemed to have changed some of the stock too as they used to sell Skelligs chocolate, and now only Butlers (as in the one in town). I would say they will rebrand it eventually to Easons.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,046 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Easons must have the monopoly in Ireland now, they're everywhere. 😛

• Advertisement

We went in about a week ago and the receipt had the easons logo on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭cms88

I think Easons had always had something to do with but not sure im what way.

The yard next to the Slive Mish bar in Boherbee is in a bad state. Its very run down and overgrown with weeds. Looks bad now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 auntieo

I see the old New Yorkers has new signage up. Simply titled “Pizza and Kebab”!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭Radio5

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Like the 100 phone repair shops in Tralee, the 100 kebabs shops will also do a roaring trade....

I'd love to know how they all can turn a profit....are they not all cannibalising each other's finite number of customers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭cms88

To be fair does he not say something like this almost every year?

So yet again O'Gara is trying to move the Rose of Tralee out of Tralee and basically expecting businesses to support him....eventhough he pulled the plug on the entertainment side! How can it not have a connection to Tralee?? He is a gobs**te...

I mentioned here last week that it seems to be Dinanos on Ashe street who have taken it over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I know a few prominent business's in Tralee town centre and they are as tight as a duck's arse .If the town business's will not support the festival ,will there be any choice but to move it

But it was businesses in town along with the council and chamber that saved the town entertainment side of it. If it wasn't for them it would be gone full stop, no thanks to o'Gara. I'm sure more will support it now that he's not involved in the street festival side of it!

I think they possibly will which would be great but what I take from that interview is he is expecting the council and businesses to also financially support the festival company also.

The comment about Tralee people not going to the rose ball irked me a bit, it used be well supported by Tralee people when it was on, I used go and knew a lot of Tralee people that would go every year

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭traleelad2

Sounded like he’s looking for a way out. He knows statements like that won’t settle well with locals and KCC. I’d say he’s hoping someone will give him a half decent offer for it and he’d be happy to hand it over.

KCC should step in now and purchase the whole thing outright.

Hard to know, definitely gave the impression he would sell but what's a buyer actually getting.

Brand name which of course has value but I'm assuming there are no physical assets and if its been running at a loss as stated then there is debt there too.

Not sure the council could use public money buy it but could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Can businesses afford to be paying for the festival these days? With the advent of online shopping, custom/footfall must be down in a lot of places. Combined with high rates and crazy electricity prices, I don't think it's fair to expect them to be stumping up? Just my view

There are lots of businesses in town that benefit from it, hotels bars etc. There are also a lot of business people that have a connection with the festival and its history, all it needs is a coming together of various people with a common interest of keeping the festival going in its entirety in its home town. Sometimes it’s not all about the money or making a financial return especially if there’s a connection like that of the Rose Hotel owners etc

I don’t think it would be beyond the councils remit to step in at this point and rescue the festival as a whole. Councils would often look to remedy various issues that benefit the public. I can recall for instance they rescued a Leisure Centre in North Kerry some years ago from closure by providing funding and commitments to keep the place open after it ran into difficulties.

Perhaps a similar commitment by KCC to continue to fund the Rose Of Tralee long term and keep it in operation might spark some local businesses and business people to come together.

It’s time our Tralee Municipal District Councillors step up here. If this was Killarney's International Festival there councillors would argue and fight tooth and nail for it.

Elections aren’t too far away so hopefully that might light a fire under them.

“Can businesses afford to be paying for the festival these days? With the advent of online shopping, custom/footfall must be down in a lot of places. Combined with high rates and crazy electricity prices, I don't think it's fair to expect them to be stumping up? Just my view”

The business that need to support are the ones that do see a return. Pubs & Hotels being the main. If you ventured out for a beer any night over the festival it’s clear to see that they were booming.

To be fair Anthony O Gara has always advocated that yes the pubs and hotels are directly impacted but there is also indirect spending in the weeks following the festival. Those that earn an extra few quid working overtime in those pubs and hotels have a few extra bob to spend and so it circulates back in some shape of form into other business in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Ya that's fair enough. I just thought there was a general expectancy that all businesses would contribute. Funnily enough I was in town on Saturday night and it was rammed. Busier than I can remember in a long time

• Advertisement

I know plenty of Tralee people who went every year to the ball! What is he on about!? They cancelled a daytime luncheon they jad organised , which they were charging over €100 a ticket for!

Advertisement