Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2023 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Galway Bay marathon is on 1st week in October if that would be a compromise

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Crunchy23

@witnessmenow I agree that Decathlon can be chaotic alright! I don't live far from it and have no kids yet so its not nearly as much of an ordeal for me thankfully.

@MiniMonstera all of the gear worked out really well. I wasn't sure if the belt would be uncomfortable at a faster pace but it was fine. The really like the little 250ml flexible water bottles, their very handy.

The race went really well. It was the longest race I've ever took part in so was sure what to expect. I went flat out and got a PB 15km and 10m. I finished with a chip time of 1:11:49. I started further back than I usually do and I found it allowed me to keep pace better at the start, rather than getting excited and setting off too quick with the pack. As I said above, I ran with the belt. I had 2 250ml bottles, my last gel and my phone on me. I wanted to see how it would all feel at pace and it was fine. I used a high 5 aqua gel for the first time. It is a lot more liquidy than any other gel I've used so far. If anyone is struggling with the texture of the thicker gels then they may be worth a shot.

Over the past couple of weeks I had been feeling as if I could have been doing more kilometers or doing the runs at a faster pace. I have been full of energy at the end of the week and legs haven't been sore. I have stuck to the plan religiously. But withhow well I feel the 10m went, it has reaffirmed to me that the plan is working and just to stick with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Ged139

I was advised before Starting my marathon training to have two pairs of runners 1 for training in during the week and the other pair for my long runs and this pair are the pair to do the marathon in.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Great race, well done, delighted you are trusting the plan and you got a really nice time there. This experience is all adding up for you and will set you up nicely for DCM. Stick to the plan and you should have no issues at all.

Ah no, it's a terrible situation for you to be in, especially after all the hard work you have out in. We can't make a decision for you, only you can do that. As was suggested perhaps another Marathon in the same timeframe or you could do DCM but pare back a bit your expectations on the day with the tiredness and travel you will have experienced.

I think the half effort will tell you everything about your speed improvements. 6 min/k does seem to be on the faster end for you however you'll only find out if you try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Cheers but I think I'll stick to the training plan after this run, my first goal of this marathon is try stick the plan as much as possible. At the point, other than picking the right pace, I will feel like I've done all I can.

There was a Half on the plan for this Saturday, which is quite early compared to the rest of the folks, but we'll see how it goes.

It's unfortunate, but its fine, decision is already made. There will be other opportunities to meet up with the team I'm sure and I am very focused on doing DCM for this year.

Yeah, it could well be, the closest thing I have to compare is the MP 12ks which I ended up doing a little fast at ~ 6:15/km. I was not bad after these, but to run basically double the distance at 15 seconds faster seems a lot, so we'll see. I think I'll be happy with any avg pace between 6:00 and 6:15/km

As always I'll just keep reminding you to err on the side of caution. DCM is your main goal, it's ok to try and get yourself the benchmark for pacing and confidence however do not try and push yourself too hard on this HM. As you noticed it's a few weeks earlier than the other plans and you are attempting a pace you have never held before over that distance. We do not want you injured so if it's not working or feeling too much then you need to be sensible and pull the plug. This HM attempt won't make your marathon but it could break it if not careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Tribal Wardfare

Week 8 Update

- Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not? 

Cross training 1 day/ ran 4 days (including FD10m) took 2 days off. Was planning on only taking 1 day off but took a 2nd one as busy with work and didn't mind since FD10m planned for Saturday

- Did you run the runs at an appropriate pace?  

Yes - kept the training runs at appropriate pace.

FD 10m Summary - slightly beat my finish time goal but overall went to plan. 5m32/ km avg

Preparation...Like one of the others commented, I also had a bad sleep the night before, due to the storm. Thankfully, I didn't feel tired at the start but I think it helped that it was around the same time that I leave for my LCM every Saturday. I decided at the last min leaving the car, not to bother with the running belt and water bottle. I was well hydrated at this stage and decided to just use the water stations.

Start...I started a little behind the 90 min pacer so that I would be able to judge my own pace for the first mile or two. The fact that the 90 min balloon was at the start of wave 2 ended up making this the most enjoyable start of any race I had been involved in. There was plenty of room around me with everyone doing similar pace, and not a lot of overtaking.

Main part of Race... I caught up with the pacers at around 1-2 miles and then stayed with them until just before mile 9. I was very impressed with how comfortable running with them made me, both mentally and physically. Without them, I know I would have gone too fast from Mile 3-6 and then suffered. We were constantly kept up to date that we were on track/ that the plan was on coming in 30 seconds early or thereabouts. I didn't look at my watch pace once as I surrendered myself to listening to them and how my body felt. I learned from my hydration problems on the Fingal 10k with the paper cups! Thanks for the tip with pinching the top of the cup and using the top as a funnel. I was able to take the water in much easier. I enjoyed running with the people around the 90 min pacer, so thanks to the others on this group that were running with me and I didn't know. I thought there was a lot of mutual respect with space etc. I am not much of a talker when I run but thanks to everyone that made comments and I hope I didn't look grumpy as I wasn't 😁.

Finish... I was able to leave the pacer for the last mile and finished strong at a pace of around 5.10 for the last km .

Overall - the race gave me even more confidence that this training plan is working great for me! I was hoping it would invigorate me for the next few weeks training and it succeeded. I feel great and I can't wait to complete the half way mark this week 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭MiniMonstera

• Registered Users Posts: 26 kevinfkennedy

Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not? 

Radio Silence the last little while as I had to take 2 weeks off through injury. As happens when injured I drank more, ate more & slept less, but I’m back on the road with 18k & everything seems fine again. All on the flat as I was trying to ease back in. All aspirations of a 4 hour are gone but still going to try get to the start line.

Did you run the runs at an appropriate pace? 

Yes all good.

• Advertisement

Great report and another well executed race, thanks for the race report, it's really good to see these come in and get to experience your day! I'm delighted that you feel the plan is working for you, stick with it :-)

Great that you are back on the road. Try and keep it all easy and on the flat if at all possible and just work on building your mileage, a slow and steady build over the next 10 weeks and you can get to the start line.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Runner2023

I've bollocksed my knee(s) and am looking down the barrel of "a few" weeks off.

It's been in the post for a while if I'm honest.

If I can recover I'll be back for some advice on how to cobble together a plan for however many weeks are left before the big day 😂

Ah no that is terrible to hear :-( I'm really disappointed for you. I hope you have the physio booked etc.

Recover well, do your exercises and I'm sure we will see you back in a couple of weeks and we can take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭MiniMonstera

I did my fake half marathon race this morning, a half marathon at race pace as a training run.

I was actually nervous in ways about this run all week, it's kind of the last opportunity to make a decision about my marathon pace as everything else from here on in will be easy or "marathon pace". I was targeting a 6:00 /km pace

I went out with the run group and joined up with the faster group who were also doing a half marathon so I just tried to stick with them the whole way.

I don't really have a whole lot to report about the "race", we were relatively consistent pace wise the whole way around although started really feeling it around the 18k mark or so but was able to keep going. And really missed a finish line to give me a boost of energy right at the end!

Tank was empty when I finished though so not sure I could have done a whole lot more on the day.

Finished in 2:04:28, a 8 min pb over kilkee and a 5:54/km pace so very happy with that. I feel a bit more comfortable about the 4:30 marathon target now, still going to be a challenge, but hopefully possible

I'm also fully convinced I have done this whole running thing backwards, I basically reached the ability to run 5k, then started training for a half marathon and now marathon. On today's run I pb'd my half, 10mile, 10k, and apparently set my third fastest 5k.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Clarecarrick

Hi 👋 

Radio silence from me also last few weeks, just a very busy few weeks with work and sick kids so haven’t had a minute. I have kept on plan and all is going well, no niggles, the odd day of not feeling it as much as usual but have persevered and am very much looking forward to back to school on Wednesday 😂

Week 9 update

Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not? 

Yes 5 runs and 1 strength session this week

- Did you run the runs at an appropriate pace?  

All easy runs were at around 6.50 - 7/km which has become a comfortable easy pace for me, I no longer need to consciously slow myself down. MP miles going well but I do find it harder to manage pace, I am hoping for around 4 hours so marathon pace of around 5.40/km but when I start running faster it’s harder to keep myself steady so I have found most of these sessions I’m trying to slow down and then speeding up over and over and most come in around 5.10/km. I’m fairly comfortable at this pace, but I don’t know if I would hold it for a full marathon? Should I keep trying to slow myself or just go with what feels good on these MP sessions? 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Half Way ! Delighted to have made it this far relatively unscathed. I got 6 runs in this week for 38 miles (61 Km), 1 gym and 3 tennis games. I have tennis matches every Sunday in September so I'll have to juggle the runs about a bit and hope that our opponents are either really bad or really good so the matches are over quickly 😂. I enjoyed the MP miles this week; got them done in the Phoenix Park on the first half of the Half Marathon route. LSR was tough enough, really feeling it in my feet for some reason, calves might be tight. I made the mistake of going too far out along the Canal and ended up doing a couple of miles on the 'Deep Sinking' section between Castleknock and Clonsilla which wasn't great underfoot (mucky, rocky) and I was lucky not to go splat. It's also narrow so I had to keep stopping to let people by. My belt was packed when I set off and I didn't need everything I brought but got through 500ml water, 150ml Lucozade Sport, a Decathlon gel (caramel flavour, surprisingly ok), a jelly bar (ok), a Decathlon salted date bar (vile 🤮) and a small pack of Moams (tasty). Still don't think you can beat Jelly Babies for mid-run snacking.

Hopefully the feet will sort themselves out. Otherwise all good.

WEEK 10 - double digits....

We have passed the halfway mark and are now into the second half of the training plans - well done for getting this far! It starts to get tough around now... We have lots of miles in the legs, loads of time on the feet and there are some big runs to come, just keep ticking the runs off the list, there is no need to focus on anything more than the week ahead.

Week 10 looks like this:

Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday

HHN1|2-3m easy or rest|3m easy|7m easy|4m easy|rest|15m lsr|cross

Boards|rest,cross or 3m rec|4m easy|1m w/u, 6m pace, 1m c/d|4m easy|rest,cross or 3m rec|19m lsr|2m rec

How was week nine for you?

- Did you complete all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?

- Did you complete all the runs at an appropriate pace?

- At the halfway point, what has been your favourite moment of the training to date?

Just checking out Strava over the weekend I could see some very impressive long runs. The training has built up appropriately to get you to a position where you are capable of these runs, and you went out and did them. Well done everone

At this stage of the plan there will be times when the legs feel fatigued - this is perfectly normal as, if you are in any way human, then you are bound to be feeling it at this stage! You are clocking up mileage that you've never seen before, probably your longest runs ever and you are adding in a dash of pace to the mix or races. It is for weeks like last week and then the next few weeks that we try and keep you to easy pace, imagine if you had been belting around too fast for the last 9 weeks, that fatigue in the legs would be right in the red zone, now more than ever it is important to keep the paces and effort truly easy. There is nothing positive to be gained from running faster than your prescribed paces, this week keep the paces a bit slower to start and you will find the legs stronger for longer.

I'm going to suggest something and I know it's not necessarily feasible for everyone and it does involve a bit of money however if you have a local physio or sports therapist who does a massage then if you could book yourself in for one over the next week or 2 it wouldn't be a bad idea. It's usually not a good idea too close to marathon day but worth doing now and you can then judge how you feel after to see if worth doing again a week or 10 days before Marathon day. If it's not an option for you then a bath with Epsom salts is my own go-to for tired legs.

Very best of luck this week

Week 9

Planned: 6.5K | 8K | 6.5K | Rest | Rest | Half | Cross

Actual: 7K | 8K | 7K | Rest | 3K | Half | 5K Walk

Everything as per the plan other than the 3K on Friday, in my vast longer race experience of 1 race, this has worked for me before just to loosen up the legs so I decided to stick with it.

Pace has been appropriate based on HR, but it has been getting a bit quicker as the weeks go on.

Favourite moment definitely was finishing the half on Saturday, nice to see some pretty clear evidence of the impact of the training.

This will be a tough week coming up as my legs are very tired from Saturday, but I'll do what I can to keep the recovery going. Definitely find the massage gun helps, although last night's session was not pleasant!

Congrats to all who have made it half way! It's not really half way for me yet as I only started properly week 5. So I have another week or two for my halfway point.

It is an exciting and slightly scary thought that this day 9 weeks from now it will be done and hopefully just be a happy memory! Maybe its too earlier to be thinking about it, but I do wonder what I'll do post Marathon, going to bed later than 10PM and not feeling bad about it might be nice :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Managed to get all planned runs done for the first time since week 6!

55 km of running and all at appropriate paces. Was quite stiff for the first easy run on Tuesday after the race last weekend. Ran the MP km's on Wednesday at 5:30 - 5:40 min / km as ultimately that lines up with my goal and I've accepted that the main point of concern is staying injury free to do the training and reach the start line.

Long run; had a few imaginary niggles from about 16 km on that came and went. Started to feel tougher mentally from 20 km on.

Trying to stay on top of recovery and S&C work.

https://www.alltricks.com/ is another good site for those looking for good prices on new runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Louis 2018

Week 9 - All runs as per Boards plan, 53km in total. Weeks flying by.

Rested Monday and ran Tues. Pace run on Weds was about 15 secs per km slower as I was still feeling it a little from Frank Duffy so didn't want to push too hard. Used the Thurs run as my pace run instead and felt great in both.

Used Friday for 15 mins on bike in gym to stretch the legs, stretching, resistance bands and foam rolling then.

Long run on Sat with the club then which was split in to 3 laps to work on water and fuel intake. At end of each lap was a quick stop and off again. Pace was in line with previous runs and club are out next Sat for 30k split into 3 x 10km routes to work on water and fuel intake again.

Feeling good at the moment, have enjoyed hitting the higher distances in long runs and knowing you are capable of doing more and feeling a bit of progress each time. Frank Duffy was great for race experience and a good barometer as to where you are and reminder that it's a process!

Have a rub booked in week of Dublin half also. Is there a particular day that week that would work best? Looked at the plan for that week so guessing you wouldn't run until 24 hours after massage?

On to another week..

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Legits

Week 9

Planned: 5k5K | 10K | 5k | 5k | 5k22k

Actual: 4K | 5K | 10K | 5k | 3K | 5k | 22K

Broadly stuck to the plan which was a nice suprise as last week with some niggles in the calf I was worried I was done. Had a few drinks Thurs night and did a slow jog Fri morning which seemed to fix everything or else it was the glute and streching id been doing during the week.

TBH id fallen of working my as my IT bands get tight and mess everything up.

I purely ran the Long Slow run to feel and ended up doing 22km at a 7:11 pace I felt sore and tired after it but my avg HR for the run was 105. I am not too bothered by it as I am just glad the calves and legs feel better, but I do wonder how productive it was to run at such little effort HR wise it definatelly still took alot of my legs.

I have no idea what target I will run DCM at yet and I dont know if I will be able to get a race HM session in before then so I am thinking I will try to run a harder pace LSR if I feel up to it in the next few weeks.

@witnessmenow Well done on the half. I am not surprised you are still now. I have a little massage gun as well and I do find it great for easing out my legs after a tough day.

On this one "I'm also fully convinced I have done this whole running thing backwards, I basically reached the ability to run 5k, then started training for a half marathon and now marathon. On today's run I pb'd my half, 10mile, 10k, and apparently set my third fastest 5k." - you're not doing it backwards, the consistent running over the last months, at an appropriate pace, has meant that you are in much better shape than you were for that first 5k. As I think I've probably mentioned over and over (yawn!) it's the consistent and higher volume miles that is making you faster. I think last year in the HM I had pb's over 3 distances so it's quite normal to break records across the board when you are doing this much training.

@Clarecarrick good to hear from you again. Delighted it's the logging that has taken the hit and not the training. Keep it that way if that's the best way to stay on plan. For the MP session, like I think I mentioned a few posts above, what you really want is to get a couple of gears above easy. Don't worry too much about the pace itself, it's the effort. 5.10 pace is quite a bit above your target so everything points to slowing it down, it sounds like you are trying too hard. Try and dial into the MP effort like you've managed with the easy pace. For this week just concentrate on the effort, keep it controlled and find a rhythm, going too fast won't be of any benefit, you want practice at MP effort not HM or 10K effort.

@Bungy Girl great to hear and better to be carrying a little more than looking for it. I did that deep sinking route once as well, it's a bit of a tough track alright and then past it there are only some sections in tarmac and others in grass. I found that it is better for an explore rather than a training run

@Seifer yep you have the main point :-) now just keep to it and get to the start line, no falling at final hurdles.

@Louis 2018 Well done on pairing back the MP session, sensible decision and it will do your training no harm at all in the grand scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Club Plan|Track|rest|Track|rest|30mins|21km|rest

Actual|track|rest|track|rest|30mins|21km|rest

Stuck to the plan again this week. Track training on Mon and Weds, Weds was more of a speed session which was nice to push with. I was glad there was 30mins in the plan for Fri as I kinda needed the fresh air to clear my head. Step back week so the long run was "only" 21km! Mapped out the route locally but going the opposite direction I would usually do on some of those roads so it felt a bit different. Brought 2 gels and one of them was a caffeine one to try out - no ill effects other than it was really sticky and I wasn't mad about it.

Total for the week 41.5km. Also did 1 workout.

Can't believe we are half way through, feels like I've been training for the marathon since I got my entry last November! My favourite part of the training so far was the feeling after completing last weekend's 28km. I'd been struggling a bit with the long runs in the previous few weeks and starting to doubt my ability for the marathon distance. But I'd felt good during and on completing 28km. Also a nice feeling is people coming up to me in the club asking how my training is going or telling me I'm doing really well. When you are in unknown territory with this training it's nice for some reassurance from people who know what they are talking about (and those here included in that also).

I am a little bit apprehensive about the milestone 20 mile run this coming weekend. Partly because of the distance but mainly because we are in the process of sorting out college accommodation and may have to go viewing at the weekend which isn't local. Look I don't mind if I've to do the run on my own but I don't want to let my running buddy down.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Week 9.

Did you complete all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?

Yes. After an unavoidable late start my plan is a compressed mix of boards and HHN1 and a bit makey-uppy based on feel, but I'm hitting the weekly volume now with the next major milestone the Medieval half in Kilkenny on 16 Sept.

Did you complete all the runs at an appropriate pace?

I think so. My HR was a bit high on the easy runs as I came back from the break, but that seems to be sorted now.

At the halfway point, what has been your favourite moment of the training to date?

I love the long runs; the time just flies. Managing a perfectly paced and comfortable 22k yesterday felt really good, leaving me today tired but unbroken. This would have been unimaginable a couple of months ago.

Despite not following the boards plan for unavoidable reasons, as time goes on I am more and more impressed with how carefully and thoughtfully constructed it is. There's loads of little details that weren't immediately obvious when I started out.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Tribal Wardfare

Week 9 Summary

Yes - I have been doing 5 runs/ 1 cross/ 1 rest most weeks but wasn't able to do the cross this week, so I did 6 runs/ 1 rest

Yes - pace is really settling in. I still need my watch to keep me honest but even on the LSR, I wasn't creeping up in the second half, like it used to.

- At the halfway point, what has been your favourite moment of the training to date?

Discovering that I actually enjoy running..... which I have only realised over the past week as I thought back over the training up until now. I have enjoyed other sports and training but I never enjoyed training runs and always said that I go running but I am not a runner. The only way I could get out running would be to enter a race and then feeling I had to go out and train for it. The LSRs on a Saturday are a good example of how I have changed. I thought they would be a real mental chore and a logistical nightmare and I would hate them/ dread them every week, as I did with the LSRs when I was training for previous Half marathons. Now, I am really enjoying them. They are my favourite run of the week. Also, last week when I raced the 10 miles I found myself enjoying what I could learn from each part of the race ... start/ uphills/ downhills/ pace/ hydration/ pacers/ other runners/ finishing etc etc etc . I used to race always thinking about the finish and how much is left and what do I need to do to get to the finish. Now I am enjoying the full run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Yes

Yes, don't find myself having to correct the pace as often now so think I'm getting used to it

10 mile was definitely great, can't beat running at an event with other people, just positive vibes all around.

Bit anxious about the upcoming long run as well as the other person who mentioned, legs were definitely feeling it towards the end of the long run this week

There is zero harm in running your LSR's slowly. You are building time on your feet and an aerobic engine, that's the purpose, there isn't really a too slow, too fast is the main issue as that what leads to injuries and burnout so you are doing it right. Considering you have had the niggles then I'd recommend going that slow again next week. It doesn't make for a slower marathon but does make you get to the start line.

We can look at the race pace but if you could look around and see a longish distance race it really would benefit you and help to benchmark for the marathon. Even a time trial, while not ideal, would help give us an idea of where to steer you as I don't think we have any race history for you (could have missed it though)

Post edited by MisterJinx on

• Advertisement

Brilliant, you've been so committed and consistent, you have this :-) I know how strange a feeling it can be to step back to a half marathon, it's so weird when that distance seemed (and is) such a huge distance to run. Funny how things become so relative over such a short space of time.

Good to hear the 28k went so well, it's the build of the other runs which is starting to come to fruition now to help you with these longer runs. I do hope you manage to run with your running buddy on the weekend, but even if you don't you have it no issue at all, it's only a few more k's!

Best of luck with the College accommodation, hope they get sorted as I hear it's very difficult at the moment

Advertisement