Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: Ahsoka [Disney+]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

In a similar position but if I watch "Rebels" am I in a chain where I have to watch "The Clone Wars" and "The Bad Batch" to fully get an understanding or could I just watch the 4-seasons of "Rebels" and have a satisfying enough experience and get all I needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I would say just watching rebels is fine, and as has been said, it's a good show. short 20 min episodes. you'll fly through them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

That is because only two episodes have been released. You’ll see that several of the cast are also listed as two episodes but the villains are obviously not just in these two episodes.

It is like that on IMDB a lot series. I don’t know who edits the information - Wes Chatham is listed for six so someone who knows put that in.

What is the name of the Dark Jedi with the mask?

Can’t Google it in case of spoilers .

• Registered Users Posts: 33,693 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The Inquisator? I presume he's the one they were calling Marok or Marik or something

• Advertisement

Bored watching it. Might dip back in but thought it was rubbish. Just finished the first. Have no clue about cartoons

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

For that memorial they had it was weird they were only named Ezra when it seemed to be dedicated to the lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Relikk

It makes sense to be biased towards him, as out of everyone in the Rebels group Ezra is the only native of Lothal.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I found the first episode a hard slog to watch and not even a decent theme or music to help throught it. It was so dark too

especially when sabine has the lightsaver fight in the old tower. It was impossible to see.

Second episode much better do and they actually turned on the lights ye. Let's hope they keep it like that.

I never seen any of the cartoons leading up to this either by the way.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭paulbok

Thoroughly enjoyed those two episodes. Starting off with a double episode was a great way to get going with the story. I'm still on The Clone Wars, so haven't watched Rebels, so haven't the full back stories on some of the characters, but the casting for Sabine and Hera looks to have made good characters. The storyline is a little different to the usual plots, so looking forward to the rest of the series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

A solid opening two episodes!

2: Yeah that opened as expected. Then some nods to the the Rebels show and Solo movie but nothing shouting about needing to have seen them. Feels moreso goodies-vs-baddies with a mystery attached in.

lol, for a second I was like.. hold on that planet looks like the Solo one, one check of the Solo wiki page later and yep, Corellia!

so like.. a bit of a Stargate type feel to this and possibly at Star Wars scale with Thrawn let rip in another Galaxy. Possibly he's got the whole place overrun unless there is some other enemy there. So kinda expecting a big fleet built up and ready to come back.

Gah! I googled Ray and went with the first autosuggest without even checking. Thank you!

Ray Stevenson doing great in both episodes so far.

If I was to guess based on Filonis work from Clone Wars and Rebels. Plus some nods he gave to Solo tonight, he's not going to push a story that requires previous watching. He'll throw in lots of stuff as nods to them because he's a huge fan himself but he comes across to me as someone who likes to tell a new story each time. Where he tends to join in other stories, it feels to like like he's trying to make it all fit together. He did wonders for the Anakin image from the I, II, III trilogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,475 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Yeah that map thing was depressingly reminiscent (for me) of the lame maguffin that The Force Awakens was centered on. To me it begs the question of why doesn't Thrawn find his own way back to heart of the action if he isn't confined in some way.

This was a much more welcome callback though

The fact that Thrawn is in a different galaxy is utterly mad/cool/nuts/conceptually interesting.

Has anyone read the books that he appears in? is his species from another galaxy? you just know the physcis nerds that love star wars, who wrote the books, will go into some explanation of hyperspace in how to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Yeah you would have to have seen Rebels. Its basically a new season of that show but live action.

The Pergills took Thrawn’s Star Destroyer, along with himself and Ezra. So that means several hundred crew members and stormtroopers too.

I don’t think they took any other ships.

I have been assuming since REBELS ended that either they’ve been adrift this whole time or abandoned the ship and live as castaways on a planet somewhere. That part of the story could lead literally anywhere - have the Imperials been hunting Ezra, have some joined Ezra, have Ezra and Thrawn agreed to work together to survive, etc.

I did think at first that maybe Elsbeth was building a Stargate type device but it looks like the Jedi starfighter hyperspace engine, and she did say they were soon starting their journey - although as I type that could mean travelling through a Stargate in a another ship.

Feels like the universe is their oyster 🙂 They could go anyway they like I guess. Though confined by the later storylines.

I really wish that Filoni would write the sequels out of canon. Maybe if someday he takes over?

But we really need some adventures with the old gang.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

The Chiss Ascendancy (Thrawn's folks) are from an area beyond the outer rim. He was sent to the Republic/ Galactic Empire to look for allies/ assistance for the Chiss in their struggles with another empire in the Grysk Hegemony. Thrawn isn't a "bad" guy per se, he just has specific goals that have him aligned with the Empire.

thanks, yes, when I watching Rebels I did some wookiepedia-ing...

IN Ahsoka, they have him pinpointed by the map in a different Galaxy. found that interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Watched the first episode and it was fine; knowing nothing of the various characters it was obvious there was a heap of backstory going on beyond what was said - but it didn't get in the way either. The episode did enough to be at least vaguely entry level for total newbs and conveyed decent postage stamp summaries of who these people were to each other. The "Ezra" stuff left me more confused than anything, but the rest was fine.

The big negative for me was the feel of the thing. I did not like Filoni's directing though; not every writer is Tony Gilroy and can make the transition. You could tell he was trying for an epic look but it just felt too flat; while some moments really, really dragged with the cinematic equivalent of "dead air" in places; I think there were a dozen scenes stretched across 55 minutes.

It's funny cos for me anyway, IMO etc, these Disney Star Wars shows really need more cinematic heads helming these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Some good elements, mainly the bad guys. Ashoka as a character is very dull, her fight scenes are unconvincing and the green screen kind of makes the show feel sterile. I will still watch all of it and pay for Disney plus.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

"Sterile" is the exact right word, thank you. I know Andor is the gold standard and a bit tedious to invoke at this stage, but you got a sense of place and tangibility these other shows just can't create. It probably helps in using real sets and locations, directed and helmed by an Oscar winning director but still; there's a sheen to these other shows, something that gives them a bad sense of place.

Or then there's stupid details that make my brain angry, like the Mon Calamari wearing a guard's uniform clearly designed for a human. The goofy head wearing the bucket helmet robbed the first scene of its gravitas for me. I think there's a good reason Andor was by and large, human only.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

The dock yard look particularly fake, bland and seemed to be regurgitating previous Star Wars. I would love something more visceral…. Some real locations

i always wanted to see a more grounded dirty Star Wars….

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

So far, nothing spectacular, and it's rather on the dull side. Not slow moving, but a little dull. But I say this as someone who never liked 'The Clone Wars' or the 'Rebels' cartoons. Plus, I've never been that enthused about Ahsoka either. But whatsherface is doing an ok job at being, yet another, terribly stoic Jedi. They're so, so, boring though.

Visually, it looks pretty great over all. So no complaints there. However, it comes off as just another generic Sci-Fi TV show. Absolutely none of it feels like Star Wars. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Plus, Disney really have to stop with all the non-fatal lightsaber shenanigans. It's just dumb at this stage and it serves no purpose whatsoever. Especially when the victim is up and running about like a blue arsed fly the very next day. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I always thought being shot by lasers or being stabbed by a lightsaber would be less fatal than a real gun or sword, which people also survive. With those they would bleed to death while lasers and lightsabers would cauterise the wound so no bleeding out.

Something like the non-vitals I would guess would be ok... well.. ish 😅 Just that the lightsabers go through bodies easy that it feels like a vital organ is probably the big killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,693 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Cauterising the wound on the outside might be helpful especially if they were sliced across the body not too deep or completely cutting off a limb, but considering the lightsaber goes completely through the body, whatever organs have been affected are surely completely f*cked. Being stabbed in say the liver with a knife, it could be stitched back up. Stabbed with a lightsaber, there's going to be a permanent hole and seared flesh where the saber went through.

I think it just diminishes the effect of being stabbed with a lightsaber. Qui-Gon being stabbed in Phantom Menace, you could see Obi-Wan's pain at effectively knowing it meant Qui-Gon was dead. Now we've had Inquisators in the Obi-Wan show, and now Sabine in Ahsoka all stabbed with a lightsaber in pretty much the same way and be completely fine an episode later. Now bar actually being beheaded, being stabbed or even cut in half with a lightsaber means nothing.

I just don't know what purpose Sabine being stabbed with the lightsaber served. Injure her so the villain could get away, sure. But they went needlessly overboard with it by having her be stabbed and then be completely fine the next episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Sabine getting over it is one thing, but I think what makes it worse is that earlier in the same episode they killed someone instantly using the same method.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The weapons in Star Wars aren't really "lasers", as it were. Not in the way that we understand laser tech in the real world. They're more energy bolts, as far as I know. So, they're a weapon of force (not that kind of Force) more like a bullet.

Lightsabers, on the other hand, appear to be either incredibly powerful or incredibly useless at their job depending on who's doing the writing. We can see Jedi cut through inches of thick metal with relative ease and chop off limbs no bother. But then we also see people survive what should be fatal or near fatal wounds and be up and running about without a care in the world.

Now, while the Asian girl who was stabbed may have survived, it's the ease of her survival that's the main problem. Christ, I feel off the bike the other night and I'm still limping around. She took a weapon that can pierce metal to her ribcage and her liver and shook it off like a character in Monty Python.

Plus cauterising a wound like a chopped off hand is very different to burning a hole in your liver/guts.

I know Star Wars is fantasy and all that, but that shouldn't make it immune from shitty writing. Which it has been guilty of on far too many occasions, especially in the last near decade.

Advertisement