Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brennans "Todays Bread Today" Not true in some stores.

Options
  • 23-08-2023 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

In Tesco in South Lott's Road its true. Tesco's Brennan's bread is always fresh. And soft to the touch.

But in the Spar in Barrow Street, somehow it seems a day "harder" to the touch.

I would guess it seems they got into a continuous "day after" cycle with the new bread in the storeroom until the old bread gets sold.

This is a thing for me because of Brennan's slogan. "Todays Bread Today".

If the bread was delivered yesterday and unsold, it should be dumped because of the slogan.

I have moved all my shopping to Tesco South Lott's because of this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

It's a slogan, not a cast iron guarantee. Whilst in most stores they order what they think will sell on any given day, it is generally the bakery that do the switch in and out of bread, not the store.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

When Activia said their Yogurt had special bacterial ingredients, they got in trouble for it. I think they were fined €45 million.

Not saying "Todays Bread Today" is in the same ball park. Because it is possibly a double entendre. (Modern Bread for modern times being another interpretation of the slogan)

But It is annoying when you see "Todays Bread Today" from the 20th and 21st on the same shelf.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭Allinall

Brennan's bread usually has a 4 day "best before" period.

Why should it be dumped after one day?

We already waste far too much food.

In my opinion they should drop the "Todays Bread Today" slogan if they have no intention of sticking to it's literal meaning.

How would that make any difference to the bread you buy?

• Advertisement

You can have it in the bread bin for a day longer if it's a day fresher.

But earlier you said that bread over a day old should be dumped.

No, that's not what I said. I said the shop should dump it. Or the Brennan's guys who stock it should dump it as it's "Yesterdays Bread Today" and the product doesn't live up to what they are advertising anymore.

Either dump the old bread or lose the slogan.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,115 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

You can freeze bread, so keep enough out for a day or 2 and freeze the rest in portions.

I'd like to see the OP complain about this, they'd probably be laughed out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,777 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I posted in some thread about this before...In my 4 local supermarkets, mountains (20 plus loaves) of their Wholegrain bread is unsold on every visit I make and I can only assume gets eventually dumped, yet their Wholemeal is sold out pretty much day in day out. Some businesses would dream of a scenario where they could tell by the shelves what sold and what didn't so easily, the wastage and on the other hand lost sales is incredible. I'm no baker, perhaps there's an explanation that for every loaf of Wholemeal there's unused junk created that goes in to the Wholegrain bread that could explain this madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

yesterdays bread tomorrow, we’ve always said that in our house!

as for the wholegrain vs wholewheat, my kids hate the bits in the whole grain but will happily eat wholemeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭gipi

Isn't the slogan just a throwback to the days when bakers didn't work on Sunday nights, so there was no fresh bread on Mondays? My recollection is that Brennans were the first to change the work practice and supply fresh bread on Mondays.

Given that shops will be stocked from very early morning, "today's" bread is likely to be "yesterday's" by the time it gets to the shop in the first place!

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

Its a logo, not a condition of sale. It is related to the claim it is baked after midnight and delivered to the shop that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

It's always Today's Bread Today when it's baked. That bread makes it's way to shops that same day. The fact that some is still on the shelves tomorrow doesn't take from the baker's claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭Murt10

I've often gone to Tesco's and found 3 different best before dates on Brennan's bread.

I make a point if I'm buying bread, of wrecking the carefully laid trap that the Brennan's bread man has erected in the shop.

I don't want bread that will be best before 2 days from now, so I go straight into the back of all the shelves, to find the freshest bread I can. I don't eat a whole sliced pan a day, and I don't want to pay for something only to have to bin most of it 2 days later.

"Yesterdays bread Tomorrow" seems a more apt description for Brennan's bread.

Actually, now that I think about it, I became so annoyed at throwing out vast quantities of bread, that I seldom buy sliced bread any more. Much prefer to buy a fresh roll that was baked the same day instore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

they deliver bread the same day they bake it. Slogan seems accurate.

However OP doesnt buy bread direct from baker. Brennans don't control the rotation policies of supermarkets, and OP recognizes this when they speak about feeling the bread before buying it. If you were replying on a cast iron guarantee from brennans you would not be checking! The fact you do means like everyone else you know the old ones are not tossed after day 1.

if they were removed from sale then i would personally boycott the brand because that would be wasteful and unnecessary.

this is just a moan. no harm, online forum seems a good place to have a moan. IMO no legal value, just a consumer expressing their impractical opinion. Hopefully they will take on board some of the dissenting opinions and temper their views.

Not if there are two or three different best before dates on the loaves. I know its just a moan but its pretty valid.

How can it be "Todays Bread Today" if there are two or three different best before dates?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It's been answered many times already, but you still keep asking. It's "Today's bread, today" upon delivery. It's not their fault if it doesn't all sell on day 1. They don't have access to a crystal ball that tells them exactly how many pans will sell on any given day. It's a non-issue.

And just to pee everyone off. While goods inwards of a large supermarket in the past, I saw the brennans driver replacing the dates with his date gun. The bread comes out / did come out, of the bakery with no date and it is printed and attached on the van.

Once upon a time, consumer affairs tried to do the shop for selling bread with no date attached. Lazy driver wasnt watching. So next day, I was instructed to inspect the delivery and remove all bread with no date from the shelves. Bread was given back to the driver and put on a returns docket with wording - "returned to supplier as no date attached on the shelf" Said docket was presented in court and case was dismissed.

• Advertisement

Every loaf of bread baked since 2000 BC is "todays bread today" on the day it was baked.

But then things start to deteriorate in the bread over time. It loses a lot of moisture on day 1. Even more on day 2. Uneatable on day 3 unless you toast it. Yet it's still not past the best before date on day 3.

It's amazing how this simple bit of logic confuses a lot of people who can actually use a keyboard.

Oh my lord.

The slogan specifically refers to Brennan’s practice which is to deliver bread on the morning its baked.

it does not imply that loaves are for the bin one minute past midnight. It literally just means we bake on Monday and deliver on Monday.

Whereas the likes of cuisine de France may bake something and let it sit in a warehouse (or freezer) until it’s sold to a customer.

So you don’t need to throw loaves in the bin the day after buying nor does brennans slogan imply the bread is shite tomorrow and BBE dates are confusing it just means brennans don’t bake extra loaves every to freeze, thaw & deliver in a few days if they’re feeling lazy.

They bake, package & deliver bread fresh daily. How is this so confusing I don’t understand?

they even explain it on their websites “About Us”.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

does that confuse you?

they deliver to the supermarkets every day - daily fresh bread. you can check the dates and get a fresh loaf - if the supermarket puts it out, which they usually do.

It does not say every pan of bread you see on the supermarket shelf left the bakery early that morning. Can you see the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There is an ad. currently running on East Coast radio for a veterinary practice. The slogn is 'the vet that pets pick'.

Seriously, you're expected to be able to differentiate between advertising hype and reality. Brennans cannot force their retailers to dump stock at the end of every day in order to fulfill their advertising slogan.

But it’s NOT their advertising slogan! The motto literally just means brennans ship fresh bread daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It IS their advertising slogan, it's repeated ad nauseum on their radio ads. Claiming that it means they ship fresh bread daily is nonsense - that's what every bakery does.

The slogan implies that when you buy a loaf of Brennans Bread, it was baked the same day.

Oh yea?

Let me be the first to promise you as well every bakery does not ship fresh baked goods everyday. Plenty of commercial bakeries will batch produce and freeze products. cusine de France is a good example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Lucan123

Where in the screen shot from Brennans website does it mention anything about shipping fresh baked goods everyday?

I can see in the last line that it quite clearly states their motto 'Today's Bread Today' means the bread you see on the shop shelf every day will have left the bakery early that morning (it's the last 4 lines of the screen shot). They explicitly say "see on the shop shelf" not delivered to the goods in of the shop.

Advertisement