Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Wottle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Thanks @ariana` @Wottle & @Ceepo that all makes sense, will have a look at those videos. I do the drills pre run already but sounds like they won't benefit me until I build strength first!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 RickNally

I've found that while insoles can help give some relief from the discomfort cause by flat feet or "weak arches", they are usually just treating a symptom rather than the root of the issue. The posterior chain refers to the group of muscles which run down the back of your body and keep you upright (lower back, glutes, hamstrings, calves). They are important for all sports but especially in runners. If you lack strength anywhere along the posterior chain, it can show up at either end (e.g. tight/sore hips, weak arches or achillies issues). Are you doing any strength work at the moment? Building your glutes and hamstrings could potentially help you to run without the need for insoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Mr321

Unfortunately it's 1 foot that's the problem. The others OK. Glutes, hamstring, calves would all be well conditioned yea. I have been looking at excerises and started doing some for weak arch etc but only time will tell how they goes. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,969 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Anyone know the recovery time from a pulled calf muscle?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Butterbeans

How long is a piece of string. Really depends on the severity of the injury. A strain might put you out for 10 days or so, anything more serious could be anything from 4 to 12 weeks. Best to get it checked out, they're only ballpark figures

• Registered Users Posts: 17,969 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Yeah I thought as much was hoping to run a half marathon in October. It's pretty sore but I'll rest it for a week or so and then give it a little test.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭TheRef

I got a pretty bad calf strain from not resting enough after last years marathon. I struggled to put any weight at all on it for a couple of days so straight to physio but I was back running about 2 weeks later. That was only after following physio advice, doing assigned exercises and letting them make the decisions based upon their expertise. Take absolutely nothing from my reply except that you need to get a professional to examine the injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Have had a surprisingly quick improvements with back to back long slow runs every Saturday and Sunday (21k each day) the past 8 weeks or so.

Very busy in work and with family so can only squeeze in a few 5k's or 7k's on the way home during the week.

Started doing the back to back LSR on the weekend simply because that is when I have time getting out early. Trying to build up weekly distance for DCM training.

Why does nobody talk about doing back to back long slow runs? Am I being an idiot doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

The hal Higdon intermediate 1 plan I'm following has a medium length easy run followed by a LSR, for example this week it's 12k followed by 24k

But I have to assume there is a reason why the plans don't normally recommend back to back LSR, and I assumed it's an increased risk of injury, I know I wouldn't fancy being able for another LSR the day after!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

There was a good discussion on the latest trail running Ireland podcast about back to back LSRs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

It's all about fitness levels really. No harm doing back to back 20k runs if your body is used to high ish mileage.

Harmful if you aren't though.

As long as you're managing recovery well it shouldn't be an issue. It's not something a lot of people do because a 21km run can be a big effort if you're not used to that sort of distance or if you're pushing the pace. But provided that you're keeping it controlled (I like to go by Heart Rate and RPE to gauge intensity) then it's just a big weekend of mileage. Just be careful about further increasing the distance or pace of those runs, and maybe consider throwing in the odd deload week where you only do one LSD run over the weekend. The extra day off (once per month would be plenty) helps to ensure that you're body is recovering fully and you're not building up a lot of fatigue.

Any chance of a link? Might be being thick but can't seem to find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

https://open.spotify.com/episode/7EHDRwvAlEVooceS6f4kcM?si=pxyecD6wRuGIysSCoj4KXw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Enduro

I think the reason back to back LSRs don't get talked about much is that they aren't part of orthodox training programmes for conventional athletics. There wouldn't be much to gain from them for shorter distances, apart from milage loading for people who have limited training days. You'd hear a lot more discussion about them in the Ultra world though, where the potential usefulness of them is much more obvious.

Personally I think they're a massively beniicial part of training for ultras, and would think they'd be benificial for marathoners who could handle them as well. They're the most nailed on part of my own training (as in the least likely to get switched out or dropped in any given week). I agree with RickNally that RPE is a great way to pace them. As well as the obvious phyiscal apect of getting used to running long on tired legs, there is also a mental gain of simply getting used to beiing out running for long periods of time and getting comfortable with your own company (presuming you're not going to find someone else to share the joy with!).

Funnily enough, on the very rare times I would listen to music on the runs, 80s Synth would feature quite a bit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,070 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Couple of relevant quotes on back to back hard runs from Advanced Marathoning (Pfitzinger/Douglas) which I realised I'd bought on Kindle years ago.

The physiology of DOMS favors an approach of 2 hard days followed by 2 easy days, because it takes 1 to 2 days for DOMS to kick in, then it takes another couple of days for the soreness to dissipate. By doing back-to-back hard days, you may sneak in your second workout before soreness and muscle weakness develop. You would then have 2 days to recover before the next hard effort.

Another time when you might do 2 hard days in a row is if your weekly schedule is dictated by the Monday-to-Friday workweek. If you’re too busy or fatigued during the week to get in regular high-quality training, then you’ll want to take advantage of the weekend and squeeze in 2 hard days. This situation is detailed in figure 3.3. Hard days on Saturday and Sunday followed by recovery days on Monday and Tuesday provide a strong training stimulus and 2 full days to recover before the next hard effort on Wednesday. Easy days on Thursday and Friday then leave you well rested for another weekend of hard training. Four of the 5 weekdays become recovery days, and you still get in three hard training sessions per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

That's interesting, given the length of your ultras are the LSR's you do long-ish (30km+)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Enduro

In my case yeah, 50km+ both days easily. At my peak I would have comfortably done 7 hours on day 1, with 6.5 hours (finishing with 1 hours progression) day 2. But that was after years of building up steadily towards being able to comfortably knock out those numbers. That's more an example of what's possible than any kind of recommendation! Very few people put in those kinds of numbers for a good reason. Even for an ultra runner I'm a high milage merchant.

There are extremely successful ultra runners who never run more than 30km in any training session (But some of them will sometimes do doubles so the daily totals then start racking up). Lots of approaches seem to work. There's definitely no one obvious correct way. The fundamentals are the same as ever though... consistency and 80/20.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

Do any of you guys know of a good nutrition strategy for running early in the mornings without eating breakfast?

I need to run at around 5am, but I'm struggling to get my nutrition right atm. I'm either eating too much in the evening, so I feel a bit queezy and bloated or I'm not eating enough so I don't quite have enough energy for hard sessions. I can use energy gels, but I would like to avoid using them in training too much.

Any tips appreciated. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Unknownability

How far are you running? Everyone is different, I generally (when I could run) wouldn't have anything except fluids if I was running in the morning.

The morning of marathons I'd only have a peanut butter bagel.

For me it was always more important to get it right the day before.

Maurtan seem to do a drink that has plenty of carbs never tried it but some swear by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,070 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

At the risk of giving advice to someone way more experienced, I think you might have the timing/sequencing wrong.

The window for glycogen replenishment is widest in the hour immediately after a run, so that's when the greatest proportion of meals should be carbs (+protein), and then tail the carbs off during the day, focusing on other nutrients (meat, nuts, leafy veg). That's what I do, anyway. If you're trying to get carbs in the night before it's almost too late (and potentially messes with overnight blood sugar and sleep).

You might try the smallest amount of sugary stuff before you run. There's research showing that even rinsing and spitting a carb solution before exercise lowers perceived effort.

If you're talking about running out of energy on +2hr hour 5am training sessions then...use gels/jellies/whatever in moderation. There are few advocates of fasted exercise over 90 mins in duration, and it's impractical to be getting up at 3.30am to eat.

I typically run first thing in the morning without haven eaten a proper breakfast.

I tend to eat dinner at around 5:30-6:30 pm, not currently doing anything special for dinner, just eating whatever regular dinners we are having, and then other than maybe a square of very dark chocolate, that is the end of my eating for the evening.

In the morning I eat a banana before I go for a run and bring gels for any runs longer than 90 mins.

I also do some stretches in the morning before I run, as a warm up but I also find it helps with any bowel movements before running, which helps eliminate bloating etc

I find my issue is when a run is on at any time other than first thing in the morning! That it's harder to know when to eat etc. I do actually need to practise getting up at whatever time I need to get up for the DCM at for some of the long runs to practise eating something that early in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

When you say you don't quite have enough energy for hard sessions in the mornings do you mean you struggle to hit target paces?

Do you find it 'easier' to nail pace on evening sessions?

If so that's my exact experience and I've learnt to simply accept that that's the case. I do the vast majority of my running early morning and always struggle to maintain target paces on sessions. I have no issues with nailing and maintaining on evening sessions though. I guess it must be a fuelling thing.

I always find race pace on the day manageable so I've stopped being concerned about it. I think once relative effort is where it should be then it doesn't matter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Any thoughts on the timing of S&C? Catherina McKiernan was on the Lusk AC podcast recently and suggested easing off on it 6 weeks before a marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Like the others say, depends on your run distance and effort. My morning runs, around 5am or 05:30am, would be between 15km and 20km and I’d not bother eating. Just a glass of water, wouldn’t bring water but my HR on the runs is generally low too. If it were a longer morning run, say 35km to 50km, I’d get a wheetabix or two before the run and a banana and maybe a bar during it (and hydration)

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

I run for about 2 hours typically. Yeah, that's really my focus to get things on point the day before. I'll check that drink out cheers.

I'm a reasonably experienced runner, but I've always been an evening runner. Now, this is the only window of time I have available (work and other life commitments) and my body really doesn't seem to like performing at 5am. Yes, as you say completely impractical to get up at 3.30am to eat something - I did try this a couple of times, and it was a total disaster tbh.

I might try eating a banana and see how that works. Do you find it ever upsets your stomach? I run up quite a few hills, so it doesn't take much to make me feel sick. I would usually have eaten one of those microwave rice packets with tuna and some plain pasta sauce, this worked fine when I ran in the evenings. But it doesn't seem to work at all when I tried it before these morning runs. I even tried just the rice and sauce without the tuna, still didn't work.

What time would you run at in the mornings? And would you carb load or anything earlier in the day so you don't need to eat much later on in the evening? I don't think I would get away with not eating anything after 6.30.

Yeah, I'm really just dragging myself through these morning runs. Intensity is rubbish tbh.

I've had plenty of evening runs, where I was a bit slow getting going, but then eventually you find another gear. Never seems to happen in the morning for me... but I don't know maybe it just takes a long time to convert into a morning runner. Interesting point regarding relative effort. I don't really have any opportunity to run in the evenings anymore.

I do have one of those coros pace watches and pod. But I didn't have that back when I was an evening runner, as it was before covid, so I don't really have any data for comparison purposes.

What would you typically eat the day before and the evening, and when would you cut off meals?

I know we're all different, but I would like to try lots of different ideas/strategies and see what works for me.

Someone on another forum suggested focusing on "low residue" foods later in the evening to avoid stomach problems. So, basically cutting out all high fibre foods and also high fat foods. Just focusing on more simple carbs and protein later in the evening, so things like plain chicken white rice pasta etc... the theory being that it's much easier on the digestive system, but you can still get a good few calories in at the same time.

I'm going to give that a try and see how it works. It will mean getting all the fruit/veg wholegrains and quality fats etc, in much earlier in the day... so I don't know how my body will respond to that. But we'll see what happens - bit of trial and error I suppose.

@Run Forest Run I typically run around 6:30ish, sometimes earlier, sometimes later. Depends on what I have on and how long of a run I need to do.

No I don't find my stomach gets upset from at all, maybe the odd time I might burp or something but it would be pretty rare. You could always start with a smaller Banana or even half of one if your not sure how you'll feel

I just want to preface this by saying I'm overweight and losing weight so while losing weight is not primary goal with food, eating enough/right to train is, what I need to do for food is not the same as others.

My typical food for the day:

Banana before run

Breakfast after run: 2 scrambled eggs, 2 rashers and 2 slices of sourdough toast.

If I've done a 60 min plus run I'll also have a protein shake

For lunch I will have protein yoghurt, berries, fruit seeds and nuts

And then for dinner I'll have typical dinner, nothing too specific but I'll try ensure there is enough protein in it by added chick peas or something if necessary

I try limit my food outside of that to nuts fruit and the dark chocolate

This is a fairly typical day for me but not set in stone. Sometimes I'd have left overs for lunch either

If your running at half 5, what time do you go to bed? 22:00 or so is my bed time so if I eat dinner at 18:30, there really isn't a huge amount of my day left so not eating after that is not an issue for me.

I used these a couple of times this week, and they seem to be the job, thanks for the recommendation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭shano_88

I have a very low cadence per my Garmin. 152 on average on slow runs, 156 -58 on longer runs.

Should I be actively looking to improve this? Or generally, why would my cadence be so low?

Advertisement