Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 - V3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

3: I have the Tesla gen 2 wall charger over 3 years and it’s brilliant. But if you have or plan to have Solar there are much better options out there…

6: Just don’t forget to use a referral code when you order…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭wassie

4: Range anxiety is not a thing for actual EV owners, regardless of battery size. There is an initial adjustment as you get used to watching a battery meter vs a fuel guage, but its a quick learning curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭DrPsychia

Range anxiety isn't a thing nowadays unless you buy a Nissan leaf or mini cooper EV. Whats your typical commute?

Reason to buy the LR AWD:

Better battery warranty - 192k kilometres for LR vs 160k kilometres for RWD.

LR AWD has 480km real world range vs 380-400km for RWD according to ev-database.org

LR has a much better sound system - LR has 13 speakers + 1 subwoofer + 2 amps. RWD has 7 speakers but is still good. Sit in both varients and play a few of your favourite songs, you'll see the difference is very apparent.

LR acceleration is amazing for safe overtaking on all Irish roads and is amazing pulling out quick from a standstill in all conditions thanks to the AWD grip. You can buy acceleration boost if you ever want to make it faster. RWD is a quick car but LR takes it to another level.

LR has about 500 horsepower vs 280hp for RWD.

LR does 0-100km/h in 4.4 seconds vs RWD does it in 6.1 seconds. It may not seem like a big difference but in reality the difference is huge and so I believe the LR will make you happy every single day if you appreciate fast acceleration. LR is faster accelerating at all speed, much faster than the RWD. Acceleration boost will take 0-100km/h times down to 4 seconds, which is relatively close to the performance varient and near Porsche Taycan territory. At higher speeds the LR is actually faster than the Performance( watch the CarWow drag race on YT). Friends and family will be amazed by the forceful acceleration of the LR.

LR has 250kW peak charging speed vs 170kW for RWD.

LR loses less energy in colder conditions because the battery chemistry is less susceptible to energy loss than the RWD battery chemistry. However considering Irelands climate is relatively mild for most of the year compared to our European and North American counterparts this isn't really an issue here but the LR will still lose less energy than the LFP battery of the RWD in our climate.

Neutral: LR is recommend to charge to 80% for daily driving/commuting while RWD can be charged to 100% daily due to the different battery chemistry. However if you're going on a long journey it's absolutely no problem to charge the LR to 100% so don't worry about it. Extra range 100km range of the LR is always a nice to have in my opinion, even if you seldom need it. If you are inclined to worry about range then the LR will put those worries to rest.

Both varients have a heated steering wheel and heated seats in front and rear.

The Long Range AWD will be far more desirable to prospective buyers come resale in 3 years time so you can command a higher premium over the RWD. So while you pay €10k extra now for the LR, it might be worth €5-6k more than the standard range version in the secondhand market so in actual terms it's not costing you that much extra, think of the "smiles per mile".

If you can afford the Long Range and you value all that it affords you then it is absolutely worth it in my opinion. If you look on the various Tesla forums you occasionally see posts from people regretting buying the RWD over the LR, whereas you never see people regret buying the Long range.

Let us know what you order.

Post edited by DrPsychia on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

We have a rwd and a lr in the family.

Rwd is a great car but if you can afford it, go for the lr.

Rwd is no slouch but lr leaves it sitting in many regards.

Enjoy whichever one you go for.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

That’s a great post that sums up the differences nicely.

Now for the P….

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I’d wait for the new M3 RWD, talk of it having a 66kWh LFP battery which reduces range differential to LR and LFP better battery chemistry for the long term and charge to 100% without issue. Obviously the other advantages of the LR remain but for range go for new M3

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Kagawa

Thanks for the very detailed response, I'm almost sure now that I will go LR AWD, but I'll wait for the new version to come out. The finance deals that Tesla are offering are very tempting but from what I've seen online I like the look of the new one more than the current one. I have test driven the LR AWD and I was very impressed, the acceleration was out of this world. I have a GTI now and the cost of fuel is getting to me to be honest, the Tesla is the only EV that I've seen that would tempt me into the EV world. I'll let everyone know when I order anyway.

Gumbo, any ideas what the uberturbines+tyres(delivery miles) from a 2023 M3P would fetch on the irish market?

2 problems. Most average Irish buyers fear bigger wheels thinking they ruin the car and the newer M3P wheels have a stretched tyre on them which I particularly don’t like. I rather the older version wheels which I have on my 2020 (but I would say that 😂).

But, IMO, genuine wheels, delivery miles tyres I’d have to say €1500 and they would sell easily. If I was looking for a set I’d consider that a fair price.

You could ask more, on paper they may be worth more but they could be a hard sell here. One guy in the FB Group had the 20l inductions for the MY and it took him months to sell with various price drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I've seen them going for £1000 with new rubber. I was going to buy a set until I was told they won't fit a 2022 rwd. I bought uberturbine wheel covers instead for my 18s.

Stay Free

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

It was UK forum, so postage would have added to the cost.

About the fit...That's what was said at the time, but of course it wasn't til after I ordered the covers I did my own research and learned it was bollix. Glad I didn't spend the money tbh, but still half considering a change.

Stay Free

I thought I was missing something alright as it was my understanding that they fitted.

20” wheels are not for everyone, some thing 18” are too big!

I remember buying 15” for my EK Civic in 2000 and the jump to 17” when I did it was huge! Perspective over time etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Hi folks , I’m a Tesla model Y owner since March of this year, I hope to use the car for some local Hackney work but tinted rear windows make the car ineligible ( stupid I know) , the 3 however has clear glass, if any 3 owners like the idea of swapping their rear door clear glass for tinted glass? , PM me

Im in Galway

cheers

Just curious - I'm guessing they are they same part?

Only ask as my M3 has doubles on the front and single on the back. Are the rear ones on Model Y single or double glazed?

Does the M3 even come with double on the rear these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Foreign Sports

MY has double glazed rear windows. M3 doesn't. They may well be interchangeable but someone would need to clarify that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Model Y rear windows look larger than the 3, would be surprised if they are the same size..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Good question, pretty sure the glass is double glazed on my Y ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭jlang

MY and M3 are quite different at the roofline so I'd have assumed the MY and M3 windows are altogether different sizes as well (aside from any thickness or colour difference)? Am I missing something that makes this interchange possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

I am so damn impressed with my Model 3 RWD. A day of driving from west Co Wexford to Dublin to home again (Incl about 20kms of city slow driving). Home with 32% after 304 kms total. Approx 40% motorway speed, remainder 80-100 km/h roads and less in city. A theoretical 447km range to zero (+ reserve?). Ideal weather of course..

I don't think our Classic Ioniq would have been any more efficient..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Same, very impressive numbers. I did a return trip from East to West Cork with a similar Wh/km, roughly 300 km's.

Just back from West Kerry and did 760km averaging 140 Wh/km, with a roof box on, full boot and two passengers, for about 400 km's of that.

Polaris on her first holiday.

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

So it looks like the Model 3 Highland will actually be a hatchback? And looking much more like a small Model S? And be 15% cheaper than current Model 3?

Very exciting news, could be on my shortlist for next car so!

This is from a Tweet from Musk from today, lots of YT videos reckon the above

If thats the case, anyone sitting on the fence to buy is going to have a much clearer choice between which model they prefer.

Exactly. Model 3 was never suitable for me as I need a hatchback - and it is not very pretty. Model Y a bit bulky and too tall, also not very pretty. If Tesla at some point extend the offer of letting you bring FSD to your new car, I could be tempted

Would have to convince herself that we don't need a luxury car anymore though, that will be tricky. That's after I can convince myself first 😂

Where did you read those rumours? It's clearly a model s in the background

Have a look at some of the YT videos analysing this in detail and kinda "proving" it's not a Model S, hence it must be a different car, hence guessing it is the Model 3 Highland

Here's a couple to get you started:

So all the spyshots of the covered M3s testing on the road are not the refreshed M3?

As much I would love the Model 3 to be a hatchback, it's wishful thinking for tesla to make such a drastic change to the design and manufacturing process.

It's a Model S plaid behind the cybertruck. Same spoiler lip, same rear bumper overhang, same hatch joining where it meets the year quarter glass panel. You can see the plaid badge also. The point about the shorter bonnet is nonsense, the full length is just hidden.

That pic is just showcasing the two flagship models imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

100%. There have been lots of photos of the Highland driving around (with a covered front and rear). It's not a hatchback.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Don't know if I'm alone here, but I couldn't be arsed with any of these 'project highland' photo's & sightings etc.....

I'll take note of it when Tesla themselves announce it. - I don't want to already know what it half looks like before it's announced.. I'd rather see it for the 1st time in their promo material, looking as it should... good..

Advertisement